Author Topic: A band fakes a fanbase and success to book successfully an european tour  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: A band fakes a fanbase and success to book successfully an european tour
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
What happened with Stratovarius?

I've heard so much conflicting information on what was supposedly true and false that even I have lost track of the truth sometimes. Basically Tolkki's issues really started to affect him in a big way around then (bipolar, among other issues that still plague him). He effectively splintered the band and manufactured this fake controversy about getting stabbed in an alley and being hospitalized, then he forced out/fired Timo Kotipelto and Jorg Michael, I believe. Then there was the fake business about replacing Timo with a female singer (who I don't think even existed) only known as 'Miss K' but that didn't last long. Turns out in the end at least Timo and Jens Johansson were in on the stunt (and weren't even truly out of the band because of it) but there are videos on YouTube you can find with the guys pretending to act like they didn't know what the deal was and why Tolkki was being such a dickhead. It's fascinating manipulation of their image mostly on Tolkki's part. Then the next album came out with almost no high vocals from the singer or any keyboard parts, two of their trademark sounds. Tolkki then broke up the band 3 years later and signed over all the rights to everything Stratovarius to the remaining members, who came back with a brand new Strato. I think that covers most of it... I also have a copy of that self-titled album with a fake 'rockumentary' which shows Timos Tolkki and Kotipelto smack talking each other. It's fucking wild.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
Well, that was anticlimactic.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »
I think there is a good chance that venues didn't cover their costs in absence of actual people consuming food/drinks or using other services.

I do find the story amusing though and it shows what kind of bullshit people (can) pull off on social media.

Even if the venue was paid (rented) by the promoter for the night, they're definitely losing money by not having any patrons for the night.  The promoter is definitely losing his ass by not having any ticket sales. 

This guy doesn't deserve any kudos - he's just burned every bridge he could possibly have in the music industry.  I don't see how anyone could want to book his band ever again or want to play in his band either.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 01:37:46 PM »
Of course he came up with the "It was my plan all along" bullshit.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
I think there is a good chance that venues didn't cover their costs in absence of actual people consuming food/drinks or using other services.

I do find the story amusing though and it shows what kind of bullshit people (can) pull off on social media.

Even if the venue was paid (rented) by the promoter for the night, they're definitely losing money by not having any patrons for the night.  The promoter is definitely losing his ass by not having any ticket sales. 

This guy doesn't deserve any kudos - he's just burned every bridge he could possibly have in the music industry.  I don't see how anyone could want to book his band ever again or want to play in his band either.

Yeah, you are right. This serves as yet another reminder how fake social media and other online sources can be. I recall a well know Dutch artist also bought a shitton of likes and was busted. And I think a lot more do it (not only the beginning artists or unknown ones).

Looking at the "career" of this guy, I do really wonder where he got the money, as this does not seem like a cheap scam.

Anyways, I do actually think he has a pleasant voice, so at least that part seems genuine.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »

I mean the venue definitely misses out from food/drinks sales.  If a venue that holds around 400 people have like around 100 or more people spending $15-20 on food or drinks, that's a few thousands of dollars of revenue the venue is missing there.  Can't make that kind of money if there are no people in the venue.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
That must've sucked for the bartenders.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
Anyways, I do actually think he has a pleasant voice, so at least that part seems genuine.

Yeah, this is the most baffling thing of it all - at least for the music, he's not a complete fraud, he can sing and play. And I admit with a bit of shame that for what it is, generic easy hard rock, the song "Living is Dying" is even nice. All the effort and money he put into this could have been directed to get actually better in his craft and finding a genuine band to develop. Go figure what crosses people's minds...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
Perhaps the most amusing thing about this is how most of the "MetalSucks" articles start out with some sort of statement that suggests this is the biggest story in the history of music or the internet:  "The internet has been riveted since last Friday..."

Not really....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
Perhaps the most amusing thing about this is how most of the "MetalSucks" articles start out with some sort of statement that suggests this is the biggest story in the history of music or the internet:  "The internet has been riveted since last Friday..."

Not really....

Yeah, I've been rolling my eyes at that