Author Topic: A band fakes a fanbase and success to book successfully an european tour  (Read 2844 times)

Online MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: A band fakes a fanbase and success to book successfully an european tour
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
That was really something. What a weird story indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Art

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:00:27 AM »
waiting for the movie

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »
Could be that they’re filming a documentary or a tv show to show how screwed things are in the music business.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »
Dude spent so much money on the scam and he had no plans on how the shows were gonna work heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
Reminds me of this: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor

Seriously worth watching the 18-min documentary video there, what he did was absolutely brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
Reminds me of this: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor

Seriously worth watching the 18-min documentary video there, what he did was absolutely brilliant.
Literally just finished re-watching that video after reading this article :lol it's amazing.

Only difference being that one was actually class. This fake artist juts spent shittons of money on fake views and followers and then continued to blatantly lie to a bunch of venues which made them invest money into a production with about 1 to 2 ticket sales per night, there's no fun subtle trickery going on here, just someone with too much money lying to people
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »

Literally just finished re-watching that video after reading this article :lol it's amazing.

Only difference being that one was actually class. This fake artist juts spent shittons of money on fake views and followers and then continued to blatantly lie to a bunch of venues which made them invest money into a production with about 1 to 2 ticket sales per night, there's no fun subtle trickery going on here, just someone with too much money lying to people
Completely agree. The Shed was awesome and ultimately nobody was hurt or out of pocket by it. Unless you count the customers who did end up eating there, but in fairness, at least they got fed. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 07:04:59 AM »
The weird thing is that the dude has the looks and, unless he's not completely autotuned, the voice. He could have put that effort and money into taking lessons and becoming better and actually find a real band, he could be a fine glam metal singer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »

Completely agree. The Shed was awesome and ultimately nobody was hurt or out of pocket by it. Unless you count the customers who did end up eating there, but in fairness, at least they got fed. :lol
I was gonna mention that, and since I just re-watched the video he actually said that the 'real' customers (there were probably some actors in there too, not 100% sure) didn't pay anything. He called it a PR night and made everything free of charge. Of course he lied about a lot of stuff as well, but like you said, without any harm to others.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »
WOW!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »
Haha...That's nuts. Got to blame the venues as well though, I bet they'll be checking the bands they book more now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »

That was 18 minutes well spent. Really enjoyed watching that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
The bar continues it's descent.....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
waiting for the movie

I came here to say exactly this. This stuff is hilarious. I need the film ASAP.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »

Yea I also thought of this!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
Haha...That's nuts. Got to blame the venues as well though, I bet they'll be checking the bands they book more now.
I'm not sure that it actually hurts them all that much. They got paid (well) in advance, so the night's paid for. The last venue said they were on to the scam but went ahead anyway for that reason. The club in Belfast has said the same thing. They're paid so fuck it. Moreover, there's now the chance that people show up out of morbid curiosity, or to support the support, or to throw shit at the guy. One of tomorrow night's bands is getting some attention now that they otherwise never would have, including [excellent] advice to live stream the entire night for their own benefit.

As for this Threaten numbskull, he's not good enough to pull of what he started. If he were actually talented this could have paid off for him. He has notoriety now. The bad news is that it'll be a lot easier to go and rag on the guy than to go and cheer him on for his bravado.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
Wow, this dude is very very committed to the charade.  Just read this article.  There's a lot more that went into this and has been covered by MetalSucks after the first article that broke the news.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/10/jered-threatin-also-created-a-fake-record-label-fake-press-outlet-fake-award-and-fake-web-design-company-to-promote-his-band/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
This guy is reminding me more and more of Tommy Wiseau with every new plot twist. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
I thought The Shed was pretty cool.  Good stuff.

Threatin is awesome.  I've seen them four times now, last time I got the CD autographed by the entire band.

Seriously though, fucking awesome.  Doesn't matter that it all fell apart, doesn't matter that the dude is now busted.  He did it.  He booked a fucking European tour and played (some of) it, on nothing but bullshit and a tiny bit of talent.  Kudos for having the balls to do it, and keeping it up as long as he could.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
reminds me of Exit Through the Gift Shop

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
I clicked on this thinking it was another Sons of Apollo thread...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
Dude had to cancel his gig last night after half the band quit on him. Bad timing since it's the first show he would have actually played to an audience. Guy really didn't think any of this through, which is a shame as had potential as a scam.

Seriously though, fucking awesome.  Doesn't matter that it all fell apart, doesn't matter that the dude is now busted.  He did it.  He booked a fucking European tour and played (some of) it, on nothing but bullshit and a tiny bit of talent.  Kudos for having the balls to do it, and keeping it up as long as he could.
And many thousands of his own dollars. I really appreciate a good con, but this one fell miles short of the potential it had. I'm just not sure of what his end goal was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
I clicked on this thinking it was another Sons of Apollo thread...
:lol

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:34 AM »
And many thousands of his own dollars. I really appreciate a good con, but this one fell miles short of the potential it had. I'm just not sure of what his end goal was.

His own dollars? as someone in the comments on Metalsucks pointed out, most likely daddy's dollars, who probably had to keep his son away from the actual money and give him something harmless to do.

And I don't know if he's too much to applaud. Ok, the venues were paid so at least there wasn't a proper scam of taking the money and running, but.... geez, this guy. I don't know what his end game was. I can only guess that he was so deluded into being a world class act that he thought that he could actually get a tour going, people would take notice of how awesome he was, and then he would have been legitimized.

Funny thing - I've already read that it was cancelled, but I've just attended last friday a gig in the italian venue he was supposed to play :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:46 AM »
I think there is a good chance that venues didn't cover their costs in absence of actual people consuming food/drinks or using other services.

I do find the story amusing though and it shows what kind of bullshit people (can) pull off on social media.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »
His Facebook page has reopened, 5 people following so far  :metal :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »
Wow, that's an interesting interview. Thanks for posting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Wow.  What a bizarre story.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
That's Scar for sure
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Anyone remember Galexia? Just sounds familiar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
Interview with one of the band members who quit: https://www.loudersound.com/features/threatin-interview-inside-the-years-most-talked-about-tour

Wow. Now I feel bad for this drummer and the other musicians involved.

Anyway, this is the "best" thing happened on the interwebz since the Stratovarious meltdown of 2004. All the Portnoy stuff that got him discussed on Blabbermouth doesn't even come close to this.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
Interview with one of the band members who quit: https://www.loudersound.com/features/threatin-interview-inside-the-years-most-talked-about-tour

Wow. Now I feel bad for this drummer and the other musicians involved.

Anyway, this is the "best" thing happened on the interwebz since the Stratovarious meltdown of 2004. All the Portnoy stuff that got him discussed on Blabbermouth doesn't even come close to this.

Oh man, the Tolki melt down was amazing. I remember when that happened. Was it really 14 years ago? Jesus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
What happened with Stratovarius?

That interview with the drummer was quite interesting indeed!
Squ