Author Topic: Bent Knee  (Read 7707 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Bent Knee
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »
New single, Bone Rage.
https://youtu.be/8W1KaM_C7uA

Surprisingly heavy in a very unexpected way, this sounds so weird and unique, I love it.

Holy shit this is awesome!  :omg:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2019, 05:18:50 PM »
It was awesome to hear live as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
Just finishing my first listen of the promo of the new album, and I would like to reiterate:

God I just love Courtney's voice.

Sounds like a really good album but there's lots to take in. Definitely a bit heavier and madder. Definitely the best production they've had, a much crunchier and more exciting sound.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
Just finishing my first listen of the promo of the new album, and I would like to reiterate:

God I just love Courtney's voice.

Sounds like a really good album but there's lots to take in. Definitely a bit heavier and madder. Definitely the best production they've had, a much crunchier and more exciting sound.

I am just downloading it, I am very anxious to dig into this album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »
bump.

Courtney Swain - FountainHead; new solo album.

Ambient record with a Film of sorts on YouTube
https://courtneyswain.bandcamp.com/album/fountainhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uugt6PcLxM

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »
Wow. What a change in direction. Not sure I like it. It's catchy enough, though.

Hopefully this album isn't their "Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy" moment.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
I like it it quite a lot.

also forgot to include the new album "Frosting" coming out on November 5th.

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/album/frosting

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
I'm loving it, really looking forward to the album

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
Ok, so Frosting is terrible.

I try to unpack my thoughts a little. So, it's for a large part of a sort of upbeat and sprightly electro art pop record. Which in itself is totally fine by me. However, that's not what made me fall in love with Bent Knee. I like how their 'organic' sound, interesting songwriting and Courtney's breathtaking vocals. None of which are really present here.

The production is probably my biggest gripe here. It's LOUD. Way too loud for my liking. I loved the production on You Know What They Mean, it had sense of space and depth. Frosting sounds claustrophobic, at least on its more upbeat songs. Couple of songs get straight up painful, I'm pointing out The Upward Spiral and Rib Woman which are caked in atrocious amount of distortion. I think the latter made me slightly nauseous (also giant middle finger to Pause which is straight up ear rape, I had to turn my speaker way down). There's a lot of vocal effects on the album, which is a shame. Sometimes I cannot tell whether it is Courtney or Jessica singing and they have very distinct voices. Songwriting felt kind of all over the place and arrangements cluttered. I think they were going for more upbeat and 'happy' sound, but I didn't like what they came up for a large part. The album improved a little towards the end, with couple songs that sounded more like their older stuff, but the only song I liked was The Floor Is Lava, which is quite beautiful and probably the album's most subdued moment.

In the end, I feel there was too much frosting and not much cake. The album is very much like its name: sugary, bright coloured and makes you sick in large amounts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:45:27 AM by Ruba »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
I agree with you that it's a LOUD album. It has lots of LOUD effects.

I disagree though with it being terrible. It's good and sounds like Bent Knee. Courtney's breathtaking vocals are apparent. It's just a neat expansion of their odd style as well. Incorporating Electro-beats, pop, and playing with a lot of effects. Which I find pretty funny because their producer is also part of the band, he's up there live placing sounds for Courtneys Keyboards, adding in the effects for the vocals, guitars, and violin as well. It will be interesting to see how these songs will come across live. I have a feeling they're going to be amazing live songs, their energetic and the effects will likely sound better live than how they are on this release.

The Upward Spiral and Pause makes me think of music the NOMACS would make.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:11:34 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
I do respect them for making such a bold change in style. And it's definitely not a boring album. But it's such a sharp left turn that I fell off the wagon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
i gotta be honest bent knee going hyperpop was not something i expected and it

it's way more interesting than their, what, last three? albums to me, if nothing else? i did not like say so at all, land animal felt too restrained and never really did much for me, and i just wasn't a fan of the style on you know what they mean, but i sat straight through this one and generally enjoyed it the entire time? idk. it's not as good as shiny-eyed babies but that's an accomplishment they're never gonna match so whatever

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2021, 11:35:47 PM »
Frosting isn't terrible, but I'm finding it too inconsistent. There are some gems here and there (especially the last two tracks, although I really wish OMG had been longer and more developed - the first minute and a half is amazing but then it abruptly stops and turns into ambient noise). Quite a few of the songs, though, I find quite harsh and grating and unpleasant. Might partly be the production.

I don't mind too much as I wouldn't say I'm a massive fan anyway, just a shame as I though You Know What You Are was a return to form after the previous two and I like how they've continued the stylistic shift, just as an album it's not working for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »
Just listening now, and, I don't know, I am liking it thus far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
I'm finding Frosting spotty at best. But considering You Know What I Mean I felt somewhat similar about, I guess I'm not so surprised.

But if this is their new sound/approach, they may be going into Shark-Jumping territory with another record or 2 like this.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
next album is more likely to be a single, abstract 47 minute zeuhl/grindcore piece than a continuation of this sound, though i wouldn't complain if they did push further into pop either  :P

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »
So I was walking through Allston, Massachusetts on my way to the Leprous/The Ocean show tonight and I happened to look through the window to a restaurant I was walking by and I just see Ben fucking Levin sitting in there. :rollin He was talking to some other people though so I wasn’t gonna go in there just to bother him. Still, what are the chances…

EDIT: He was at the show too! I spotted him by the door and got a fist bump on the way out. :lol
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:25:51 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2022, 06:50:54 AM »
Based

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »
Courtney put out another new solo album "Siliver Lining" yesterday.

https://courtneyswain.bandcamp.com/album/silver-lining

I'm thinking I already like this more than Frosting.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2022, 10:54:56 PM »
some unfortunate news that I suppose can be taken with a grain of salt.

Ben Levin made a comment in this video from Adam Neely from the band Sungazer's adventures trying to avoid losing a lot of money on a brief West Coast tour last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qXLYtvbIOg

Ben Levin
1 day ago

"Thank you for beautifully articulating what I’ve been feeling about touring for a while.  I’m retiring from touring this year after over a decade of “just sleep in the van,” and I will miss the glory, but damn am I relieved at the thought of living a quieter life."

So at least for the unforseeable future, he and possibly the band are done doing extensive tours.

I totally follow why, especially after you watch that video from Adam Neely. I suppose I feel a little bad not going to see them last fall when they were in my home town. But I have seen Bent Knee a couple of times at least. Plus Frosting, like some of my earlier posts, really didn't do a ton for me.

But if they are done, it does feel like the end of an era. It does speak for those who do get to see them on their upcoming tour, they should feel fortunate it may be the final tour for the band.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2022, 01:56:05 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:59:04 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2022, 04:56:20 PM »
Ben and Jess are leaving after their upcoming tour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeEN7Gor2s2/

bentkneemusic
Hello friends. Normally our social media is just a shameless outlet for promoting our tours and albums, but today we have an important announcement to bring you. Ben and Jess will be leaving the band after this summer. There is no animosity or ill-will involved. Everyone is still friends. The reason they’re leaving is as simple as a reason can be in such a case. Some of you reading this are touring musicians, but most of you aren’t. What those in the latter category might not know, is that sometimes touring really sucks. Don’t get us wrong, going on tour is also one of the most rewarding things a person can do, but it’s a hard life, and it can wear people down. After 10+ years of grinding it out on the road, Ben and Jess have made the very reasonable decision that they would prefer not to do it anymore. We will miss them greatly.

We want you all to know that even though Ben and Jessica will no longer be with us, the band will continue to tour and make albums nonetheless. The remaining four of us still believe we have something to say as Bent Knee. We look forward to seeing you in June and beyond.

-Bent Knee

PS If you want to see Ben and Jess play with Bent Knee one last time, please buy tickets to our upcoming tour! Looks like we still managed to stick a little shameless self-promotion in there after all :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2023, 10:41:31 AM »