Author Topic: Which albums have you listened to most frequently over the last year?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline LKap13

Here's a list of the albums I think I've listened to most frequently over the last year. Note this isn't necessarily my "favorites" ranking, but thought it might be interesting from this perspective:

1) Train of Thought
2) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3) Awake
4) Images and Words
5) Scenes from a Memory
6) Falling into Infinity
7) The Astonishing
8) Octavarium
9) Systematic Chaos
10) A Dramatic Turn of Events
11) Dream Theater
12) Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13) When Dream and Day Unite

Offline JustDefyYou

Re: Which albums have you listened to most frequently over the last year?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
We definitely have the same 1st and last in common. Lately (and in general) I listen to the meta albums the most as they are my favorites. One I have been putting on more and really enjoying is Falling into Infinity.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
Mostly Mangini-era stuff. Plenty of I&W and TOT also.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
Octavarium
Six Degrees
Systematic Chaos

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
ADTOE,  :heart
Then a mix of the rest.  I find I listen to Breaking the fourth wall quite a bit as I love the mix. I also listen a lot to CIM, because it also has several songs - ITPOE 1 & 2 together being one - that I want to hear.

Since I am a newer fan,  - 2.75 years - my listening has changed in the past 6 mos. At first, it was new "disc"overy after new discovery
and would listen exclusively to each new album over and over, it being my favorite at that particular time. Now, after sifting through, I have
more favorite songs, than albums. (But I could listen to Any album and Love it - except WDADU -which I can't get into that much -)

I would say as far as whole albums.. TA is one I Always listen all the way through and have done several times in the last year. I have to hear
the whole thing as it is a story and it builds upon itself to a great climax, as a story should. It is more enjoyable with each successive listen.

After that, probably FII as it was one of the more recent discoveries and I love how "groovy" it sounds.

Offline Evai

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »

I would say as far as whole albums.. TA is one I Always listen all the way through and have done several times in the last year. I have to hear
the whole thing as it is a story and it builds upon itself to a great climax, as a story should. It is more enjoyable with each successive listen.

Awesome! I do the same thing :) Although I've probably only done it once this year
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Don’t find myself listening to DT a lot these days although that will begin to ramp up in anticipation of the new album. It’s been years since I listened to some of those albums.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 01:17:50 PM »
What they always are for DT:

Images and Words
Awake
Falling Into Infinity
ACoS
Cleaning Out the Closet/FII Demos (I have both)
Train of Thought
SFAM

I haven't listened to any other DT album in quite some time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »
Most played in the past year would be Octavarium. An album that about 5 years ago I ranked near the bottom of DT's discography but nowadays I consider one of my very favourites. One day it just clicked for me in a huge way.

Others I've played regularly over the last year are DT12 and Six Degrees. This week I dusted off Scenes (twice) because of the new tour announcement.

Least played is WDADU. I listen to the odd song here and there but I don't remember the last time I played the album from start to finish.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »
My most-listened to album this year was not a Dream Theater album. Is that allowed as well?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
In my office, I typically listen to ADTOE, DT12, and/or SC almost every day.  But until very recently, I was almost always listening to TA on my bike rides a couple of times a week.  So adding in listening to it in the office every now and then, that one is up there too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Self Titled, as it is the latest traditional DT record.  :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
hmmm I have a DT playlist on my iPod that has about 60 songs that are usually my DT go-to but an album in it's entirety would probably be ADTOE or Making of SFAM.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
The only thing I've really listened to with any half regularity is my Astonishing Abridged CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
Here's a list of the albums I think I've listened to most frequently over the last year. Note this isn't necessarily my "favorites" ranking, but thought it might be interesting from this perspective:

1) Train of Thought
2) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3) Awake
4) Images and Words
5) Scenes from a Memory
6) Falling into Infinity
7) The Astonishing
8) Octavarium
9) Systematic Chaos
11) Dream Theater
12) Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13) When Dream and Day Unite

If this is anything other than a best guess, then I have to bow down to the anal retentiveness of your record keeping.  Even in my heyday, I didn't keep track of how frequently I listened to anything.

That said, I rarely listen to complete albums (DT or otherwise).  With the exception of SFAM and DT12, every one of DT's albums has one or more songs that I routinely skip, or I'll listen to self-made playlists.  That's primarily a reflection of how little time I get to listen to music these days.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
Probably either Awake or The Astonishing.  The former is my favorite DT album and my go-to DT CD if I am in the mood for DT and cannot decide which album I want to listen to, and the latter is the newest and still gets into my CD player on a semi-regular basis (although usually only a handful or so of songs at a time).

Offline llpyyz

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
According to the Excel spreadsheet I've kept since 11/13/2017, I've listened to 382 complete DT albums. To give a bit of context, I *finally* became a fan in 2017 so I've been making up for some lost time. Why that took so damn long given that I've been a Rush fan since 1980, was actually first told about DT back in 1998 while living in Dodge City, KS (of all places!), and even saw JP in 2001 on the G3 tour...well that's a story in and of itself. But I digress. Now I want to point out that when I started keeping the spreadsheet, it was tied to a goal I set. Namely, prior to the next tour (after IWaB): 1) listen at least 50x to the studio albums from IAW through TA, and 2) listen at least 25x to the live albums I am able to access on Apple Music namely L@tM, OiaL, LSfNY, L@B, Score, CiM, and BtFW. There might be others I can access on Apple Music - have not checked back in a while and possibly did not dig deeply enough into their catalog. Also, haven't decided how many listens for ACoS since it's half and half. Furthermore, my intent was to hit the studio albums first and then dive more into the live material, so none of the albums listed below are live. (Yeah, I'm way off the mark for reaching my goal - my mom had a major stroke back in July and sadly my DT listening time has dropped off quite a bit.) Anyway, to answer the question, here are my top 5 listens according to the spreadsheet:

1) ADTE x 47
2) SDIT x 40
3) ToT x 37
4-5) DT12 & SC x 36

There you have it!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:27:23 AM by llpyyz »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
The Astonishing, DT12, and Images & Words
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
The only DT thing i've listened this year, and actually i've been doing that for some weeks now, is Octavarium.
Plain of singable choruses there, a funny album all the way through... well, except Never Enough.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
The only DT thing i've listened this year, and actually i've been doing that for some weeks now, is Octavarium.
Plain of singable choruses there, a funny album all the way through... well, except Never Enough.
Maybe it's just me, but almost all of the stuff on Octavarium sounds so much better live* that I almost never listen to the album itself anymore, and stick with SCORE when I need that particular itch scratched.

*The exception, of course, is The Answer Lies Within, which never sounds good under any circumstances whatsoever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »
I don't think there's even a band whose discography I've listened to in its entirety in the course of the last year. The obvious exceptions would be young bands with few albums, and newly discovered bands that I started to dig into.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
1) The Astonishing
2) Images and words
3) Live at Budokan
4) SCORE
5) Live Scenes From New York
6) Dramatic Change of Events

... Everything else on shuffle for the most part.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Per my Last.FM:

01) The Astonishing (272)

02) A Dramatic Turn of Events (115)

03) Octavarium (56)
04) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (42)
05) Falling Into Infinity/Train of Thought (36)
07) Dream Theater (33)
08) Scenes from a Memory (25)
09) Images & Words (23)
10) Systematic Chaos (22)

Everything else has less than 20 plays

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
None.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »
1) Scenes from a Memory
2) Images and Words
3) Awake
4) Train of Thought
5) Falling into Infinity
6) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7) Black Clouds and Silver Linings
8) Octavarium
9) When Dream and Day Unite
11) Systematic Chaos
12) Dream Theater
/
/
/
/
/
/
13) The Astonishing

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
01) Octavarium
02) Images and Words
03) A Dramatic Turn of Events
04) Train of Thought
05) Awake
06) Scenes From a Memory
07) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
08) Black Clouds & Silver Linings
09) Falling Into Infinity
10) Systematic Chaos
11) Dream Theater
12) When Dream and Day Unite
13) The Astonishing

The only reason The Astonishing is last is because I never have time to listen to the whole thing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lethean

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
The Astonishing. :)  Then Six Degrees, then Scenes.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
Awake
Falling Into Infinity
Images and Words
Systematic Chaos
Octavarium
Dramatic Turn of Events
DT
Black Clouds

Not sure if in that order but those would always be my go-to albums.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
ADTOE
Octavarium
SDOIT
SFAM
Awake

Have listened to Octavarium A LOT over the last week and think it's their joint best since SFAM alongside 6D. Really good SONGS on it. The self titled one had short tracks but few of the songs felt like real vocally driven songs.

Then i had this realization, that seems really obvious now, that DT straddle a line between an instrumental and vocalised band, with both sides being equally important. And that's SO unusual that i can't think of another example. There are loads of bands that are mainly instrumental with vocal parts and lyrics that are tagged on...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but almost all of the stuff on Octavarium sounds so much better live* that I almost never listen to the album itself anymore, and stick with SCORE when I need that particular itch scratched.

*The exception, of course, is The Answer Lies Within, which never sounds good under any circumstances whatsoever.

I happen to like TALW a lot, which is awkward even for me. I guess i’m gettin older.
I get what you mean, and it used to be true also for me until I revisited the album after a long time - and so went naturally back to Score which I haven’t watched from start to finish in about 10 years.
Plus, on Score are missing two on my fav tracks from 8v, which are These Walls and Panick Attack.
And, if I have to be honest, SS was kind of a disappointment live as on the record, especially the chorus, sounds bigger and better.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
The Astonishing
6DOIT
Octavarium
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
DT12
WDADU
8VM

Little bit of ADTOE mixed in.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
The atonishing
A dramatic turn of events

D

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Awake, an album that a year ago I would have ranked middle of the road, is now one of my favorites and most frequently listened to. After that, in no particular order, they would be SDOIT, SFAM, ADTOE, IAW and 8VM.

Offline JLa

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
I don't keep that detailed statistics  :lol But I think I have a lot in common with OP, the albums 1-5 seems about right.