Author Topic: 137  (Read 13836 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 137
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
I'm saying I know exactly what "137" refers to, and it isn't the number of songs in DT's catalog.  At least, it isn't intended to refer to that.

It’s one hell of a weird coincidence then although I suppose you do have to kind of force SDOIT and ITPOE into single songs to get it to add to 137 but leave A Mind Beside Itself as individual songs so maybe not that much of a coincidence.

It is a neat coincidence.  But there is nothing weird about counting SDOIT and ITPOE as single songs because that is exactly what the band has said they are since day 1.  And AMBI has never been a song.  It has been a suite of 3 songs since day 1.  So I'm not sure where the confusion arises on those (well, I can kind of see ITPOE because of the way DT split it, so those who do not know might think it is two songs).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
I do know very well what MP intended to do with ITPoE.. But I also do know very well that the same band have made some mistakes (or contradictions) regarding semantic issues about their songs, so I guess all of these cases are very open to discussion and different interpretations.. After all, that's kind of the point..

But ok, "137" has nothing to do with any of this.. Never mind..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
I'm saying I know exactly what "137" refers to, and it isn't the number of songs in DT's catalog.  At least, it isn't intended to refer to that.

It’s one hell of a weird coincidence then although I suppose you do have to kind of force SDOIT and ITPOE into single songs to get it to add to 137 but leave A Mind Beside Itself as individual songs so maybe not that much of a coincidence.

A coincidence indeed, but it's not forcing anything.  ITPOE was unquestionably written as a single song that was split into parts (as opposed to the two parts being written separately and then smushed together).  By contrast, AMBI was always a suite of individual songs without any intent or pretense that they were a single song.  Whether SDOIT is a single song or a collection of eight songs is a debate that will never be settled, but it always was the band's intent that it be regarded as a single song.

Bosk, I assume the significance of the "137" will be made known once the album is released.  Oui?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

It is a neat coincidence.  But there is nothing weird about counting SDOIT and ITPOE as single songs because that is exactly what the band has said they are since day 1.  And AMBI has never been a song.  It has been a suite of 3 songs since day 1.  So I'm not sure where the confusion arises on those (well, I can kind of see ITPOE because of the way DT split it, so those who do not know might think it is two songs).

Not saying it is weird, I consider both to be single songs and was totally convinced that this was the meaning behind 137. Just when you said it wasn’t the case, I thought it was a bit of a freaky coincidence and then thought that we’d maybe cheated a little to get to that number. Like you say though, it’s not really a cheat at all and I’m back to it being one of those strange coincidences.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
Bosk, I assume the significance of the "137" will be made known once the album is released.  Oui?
I suspect people will have more than they need to figure it out before the album is out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2018, 04:04:42 AM »
I suspect people will have more than they need to figure it out before the album is out.
Oh, cool! So, the treasure hunt never stops. :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »

I think 137 is pretty obviously the release date for the album. January 37th.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:56:15 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
137 is the 33rd prime number, as of this year the band is 33 years old...

Even though we know 137 doesn't represent their songs I thought it was interesting that you could use the distance over time formula where 137 is distance (or number of songs) and time is 33 (how long they've been making said songs). 137/33 equals 4.15152 which by my estimation is pure gobbledygook. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
137/33 equals 4.15152 which by my estimation is pure gobbledygook.

...or is it?  :corn

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
137 is the number of bans we mods will have to hand out in the weeks leading up to the release of the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
137 is the number of bans we mods will have to hand out in the weeks leading up to the release of the album.

Or the number of people that will be conviced that the 20 seconds snippet posted on RandomUser5894743894437's account on YouTube is a legitimate leak off the new record.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline genome

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
JP: So everyone is agreed on the final version of the cover art?
JR: Yea man, the robot hand holding the skull? To symbolize the drama of evolution and progression?
JLB: Maple Syrup.
JP: So it's done.
JM:.....I got an idea
JP: What's that?
JM: Let's put a totally random, meaningless number on the skull.
JR: Hmmm....why?
JM: To drive our fans crazy to attribute some significance to it. It'll be fun.
JP: CONSIDER IT DONE!

Pink Floyd actually did this for The Division Bell. There are people still trying to figure out what "Publius Enigma" means 24 years later. It was a joke  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:34 PM »
Wasn't a half assed but legitimate contest that had to give an actual prize? your name to a tree or stuff like that, something that people in the label came up with
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
137/33 equals 4.15152 which by my estimation is pure gobbledygook.

...or is it?  :corn

Maybe adding the "137" was his idea :lol

idk, but i like to think that's coming from Mangini, being him a lot into maths.

Hmm...
[/quote]

I know Bosk has alluded to knowing what 137 is about, but seems there's some hints here to another puzzle solution...
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline raggashaggas

• Hi, I'm a DT fan. Just like you.
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
Track 5 on DoT... "Room 137" .... hmmmmm

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
Anyone know what room MM taught in while at Berkeley? Room 137 perhaps?
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
Anyone know what room MM taught in while at Berkeley? Room 137 perhaps?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
I would love if Room 137 was just James describing the math behind whatever MM is doing and those are all of the lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
I would love if Room 137 was just James describing the math behind whatever MM is doing and those are all of the lyrics.

Dream Theater meets Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Offline Evai

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
Sounds interesting. Something about a secret time signature that pleases John Petrucci
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2019, 05:03:40 PM »
Sounds interesting. Something about a secret time signature that pleases John Petrucci

137/13.7
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
I'm honestly pretty surprised that apparently nobody knows what Room 137 refers to.  It's pretty easily findable.

Offline Adami

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
I'm honestly pretty surprised that apparently nobody knows what Room 137 refers to.  It's pretty easily findable.

Looks like it's gotta mean something since several other artists have already written songs called Room 137.

Shining?

Also it's apparently a gospel song about a hospital or something?

Psalm 137?

How cold am I Bosk?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
That has to be it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »
Don't know what Room 137 is about, but apparantly Out of Reach refers to Mangini's cymbals for the recording of the album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
Don't know what Room 137 is about, but apparantly Out of Reach refers to Mangini's cymbals for the recording of the album.
:lol
It did look pretty uncomfortable in the Untethered Angel video
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2019, 08:41:07 PM »
:lol
It did look pretty uncomfortable in the Untethered Angel video

One of the comments on Youtube said he has to challenge himself... somehow :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 08:28:21 AM »

137/13.7

It might be the number of time signature changes in the song. Or maybe the number of time signature that Mangini can play at the same time.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
There's Room 237 in The Shining. Room 237 is also a movie itself. But I don't think it is anyhow related to the song.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
There's Room 237 in The Shining. Room 237 is also a movie itself. But I don't think it is anyhow related to the song.

It isn't (as far as I know).

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
On the certificate of authenticity for the box set... check out the number!
https://centurymedia.store/product/Y4CDCE219/dream-theater-distance-over-time-collectors-cd-box-set?cp=102832_103046_104294

0137/3500

That is awesome! So... I guess somebody actually will get the 137th one!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
James actually mentions what Room 137 is about according to MM. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_R1Idf0n-U (8:23 for reference)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"