Author Topic: Cannonball Run  (Read 1903 times)

Offline The Trooper

Cannonball Run
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
Came out in 1981.

Unless you grew up in the 1970's you would not know half the people in the movie.

A Hilarious move that dies not get the regognition it deserves.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Cannonball Run
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »
I saw II first, and thought it was hilarious. I cannot say when exactly or how old I was. I was young enough such that flipping someone the bird was still a little taboo, so seeing a chimp do it to an old lady killed me. Later when I saw the first one, I thought it was lacking and not nearly as funny. I haven't seen either in decades so I don't know how I'd view them now.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »
One of life's great ironies is that had Farrah Fawcett gotten that examination in 1981, when Van Helsing suggested, she'd probably still be alive.

Decent movie with some great bits. The running joke about everybody knowing AJ Foyt's last name except whoever was asking was pretty funny. JJ convincing the cop to go after Dean/Sammy was priceless. Pretty good fight scene with the bikers. And the truth is, Farrah in those khaki shorts automatically gets any move one full star extra in its rating.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »
My first introduction to the series was Speed zone (AKA part 3 of the series) and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Then I went back and watched the first two. Decent series

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »
I'm surprised and delighted this hasn't been remade/booted 9 times by now.

As if they could even get 1/3 of the size of the ensemble cast together for a few laughs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
If you think about it, it's the same style of film making as the 2 Grown Ups movies.   

"Let's take a camera on our summer vacation, crack a bunch of jokes, and if the movie fails it will be a tax write off."

Fortunately for us, this formula worked WAAAY better for CR than it did for Grown Ups.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
Both are still funny, although I has aged way better than II (and was always better anyway).  Some of the best moments are the outtakes.  Reynolds and DeLuise could never contain themselves. :lol :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
I saw it in the drive in playing with Tron.  Of course my parents owned a stationwgon and I had pillows and blankets in the back watching it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
it was no "Gumball Rally".

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:06:35 AM »
Think I saw both of those in the theatre! First one was damn funny, the second one....not so much. Those outtakes are worth the price of admission alone though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
The ONLY way to redo it, is to get an ensemble together that are already good friends, love working together, and play well off one another.

In fact, you know who would be good? Kevin Smith! And have one of the teams be Jay and Silent Bob!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
If somebody were going to remake it and have it not suck it'd have to be done a la Oceans 11. Get Clooney or somebody of similar standing to enlist 30 of his funny-ass pals. Ignore the original and let the cast come up with their own characters. That would never happen, though. It's not really an ensemble piece, and the locations are too diverse.

edit: JD is working a similar idea.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »
The ONLY way to redo it, is to get an ensemble together that are already good friends, love working together, and play well off one another.

In fact, you know who would be good? Kevin Smith! And have one of the teams be Jay and Silent Bob!

This is the only way it *might* work, and people would have to be their characters, not all-new ones so the Oceans 11 style would be a big fail.

Besides Jay and Silent Bob, What other "teams" would work?

- Dumb & Dumber (in the dog truck)
- The Zohan
- Dopinder  & Rob Delaney (Deadpool)