Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253504 times)

Offline Red_Queen

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2940 on: February 18, 2019, 02:37:47 AM »
I consider The Best Of Times and The Count Of Tuscany both Top 15 DT songs.

To each his own, but I don't like them. Granted, there are things that are outstanding inside each song, but as a whole, they're not for me. And the choruses of both are not good, like, at all.

B.Lee

Note : excited as hell for the new album! I haven't listened to any of the singles released and you guys have my mouth water in expectation with your descriptions. Damn, 4 days to go still!
B.Lee you are my hero for not listening anything !!!
Trust me you gonna be satisfied  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2941 on: February 18, 2019, 02:48:51 AM »
I'm team "I don't want to hear anything before" too. My only goal for this working week is endure it all so that Friday I can use my lunch break to buy the album and listen to it from start to finish without any musical spoiler at all!  :metal

(Even though, if I really have to nitpick, I have to say that I heard seconds here and there from the occasional promo video with interviews, and the short snippets when they were recording the album. With The Astonishing it was a total embargo, I literally didn't hear in any kind of way or form a single note before the release)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #2942 on: February 18, 2019, 03:54:18 AM »
I couldn't resist listening to UA and FITL, but resisted with Paralyzed.

Will there were seperate threads for each song upon release date? It is always so confusing to read one big thread with hundreds of new posts that go in different directions

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2943 on: February 18, 2019, 04:50:51 AM »
I just got the shipping confirmation for my order today!

Have anyone else here received their confirmation too? Apart from those of you with the unfortunate delays.

On another note, I will restrain myself from listening to the album from any prematurely leaked sites in the meantime.  :laugh:
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2944 on: February 18, 2019, 05:34:58 AM »
I finally had the opportunity to hear all 3 new songs on a killer system last night. HOLY CRAP!! For the first time
since MM joined, they managed to make his drums sound killer. They now share equal billing with all the other
instruments. The production is amazing. I'm really digging all 3 songs. For me, this mix is the best since 8V and on
par with their best sounding albums. I haven't felt this way about new DT songs for a LONG time.

On a side note, man oh man would I like to hear what ADToE would sound like with this mix.

These are my thoughts as well, except I haven't heard Paralyzed yet. I was very happy to hear how it sounded on youtube and really can't wait to hear the CD/Bluray versions. The other two tracks appear to be standard singles release and since I've only heard them once I'm sure they'll sound better in the context of the album rather on their own.

My Amazon art book order status still hasn't updated yet so fingers crossed it's still there and not cancelled. I guess lasercd might be my only hope for now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kiszol

« Reply #2945 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:01 AM »
New review by Sputnik Music and again a very positive (and detailed!) one:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/78994/Dream-Theater-Distance-Over-Time/

So the link strangely doesn't work atm. They probably didn't release the review yet but I stumbled on it somehow.

Anyway they give the album 9,5/10

Best songs:
Barstool Warrior
At Wit's End
S2N

There was an interesting remark about Pale Blue Dot feels like an unfinished masterpiece.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2946 on: February 18, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
Amazon.co.uk is giving a delivery date of Wednesday 26th with standard shipping. If I upgrade to expedited shipping, that slips to Tuesday 25th. WTF? At least DESPATCH the flipping thing on release day, even if you can't guarantee delivery then.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2947 on: February 18, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »
Amazon.co.uk is giving a delivery date of Wednesday 26th with standard shipping. If I upgrade to expedited shipping, that slips to Tuesday 25th. WTF? At least DESPATCH the flipping thing on release day, even if you can't guarantee delivery then.

Amazon.it still confirms the 22th for the Boxset (2CD+book+DVD)

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #2948 on: February 18, 2019, 07:06:32 AM »

I've got the Artbook edition pre-ordered on there and I'm seeing a delivery date of 26th with expedited shipping and a dispatch date of the 22nd :(

I do have a google play account so it's not like I won't be able to hear the album on release or anything but it is quite irritating.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2949 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »
I'm team "I don't want to hear anything before" too. My only goal for this working week is endure it all so that Friday I can use my lunch break to buy the album and listen to it from start to finish without any musical spoiler at all!  :metal

(Even though, if I really have to nitpick, I have to say that I heard seconds here and there from the occasional promo video with interviews, and the short snippets when they were recording the album. With The Astonishing it was a total embargo, I literally didn't hear in any kind of way or form a single note before the release)

Now YOU are my hero!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2950 on: February 18, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
I consider The Best Of Times and The Count Of Tuscany both Top 15 DT songs.

To each his own, but I don't like them. Granted, there are things that are outstanding inside each song, but as a whole, they're not for me. And the choruses of both are not good, like, at all.

B.Lee

Note : excited as hell for the new album! I haven't listened to any of the singles released and you guys have my mouth water in expectation with your descriptions. Damn, 4 days to go still!
B.Lee you are my hero for not listening anything !!!
Trust me you gonna be satisfied  :metal

Thanks Red, but you know, I think I even forgot there was an album released, so it was easier... :lol Oh, and I trust you, I know I'm gonna be satisfied!!! :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #2951 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
I hope there's a chorus as good as "IT'S RAAAAAININ'....IT'S RAAAAAININ'.....IT'S RAAAAAININ' DEEEP IN HEA-VENNNN"
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Hypnotherapist

« Reply #2952 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
I just got the shipping confirmation for my order today!

Have anyone else here received their confirmation too? Apart from those of you with the unfortunate delays.

On another note, I will restrain myself from listening to the album from any prematurely leaked sites in the meantime.  :laugh:
Ya!!I bought it on the Inside Out and received an email confirming the submission on 2/14/2018 (including details to follow the tracking)  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2953 on: February 18, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
New interview with John Myung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-iisUISJY
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2954 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
and what's more, we can hear him clearly on this album (or well, tracks 1-3, I doubt it will be different for the rest)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2955 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

*Obligatory "I didn't know he could talk" joke*

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2956 on: February 18, 2019, 11:39:04 AM »

*Obligatory "I didn't know he could talk" joke*

Nowadays it's more like "whoa, that CGI looks really convincing, almost fooled me!" :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2957 on: February 18, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
Will there be an official streaming of the album?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2958 on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »

Yes, starting this friday :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2959 on: February 18, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »

Yes, starting this friday :P

Nice!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2960 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:55 PM »

Room 137: I'm not sure what to make of this one, honestly. It's definitely a different sound for DT. Very dark and almost psychadelic in places. For whatever reason, it's definitely not what I expected from MM, lyrically. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean but wasn't sure what else to say. Probably my least favorite track on the album, though it does have some cool parts and it's by no means bad, just a personal taste thing probably.

I've read an interview with JLB on Roadiecrew's magazine (www.roadiecrew.com.br), where he explains that this song is about physicist Wolfgang Pauli and his obsession with the constant 1/137. And coincidentally, it was the number of hospital's room where he died. Interesting that JLB also said that Mangini had this idea for a lyric, but he kind of sent the lyrics to JP, JR and JLB to actually shape them into that song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Pauli

"In 1958, Pauli was awarded the Max Planck medal. In that same year, he fell ill with pancreatic cancer. When his last assistant, Charles Enz, visited him at the Rotkreuz hospital in Zurich, Pauli asked him: "Did you see the room number?" It was number 137. Throughout his life, Pauli had been preoccupied with the question of why the fine structure constant, a dimensionless fundamental constant, has a value nearly equal to 1/137. Pauli died in that room on 15 December 1958.[14]"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2961 on: February 18, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
Damn, it, the Fine Structure constant! How could I let this slip past me? Basically a good chunk of reality, including the entirety of the visible and tangible world, hinge on the fact that the electromagnetic coupling constant (regulating the scale to which two charged particles interact) is 1/137. Change it to 1/1000 and we don't exist. Change it to 1 and the whole universe changes face radically.

There is no reason why the FSC (generally referred to as "alpha") has the value it has. Indeed, the value is not even that constant, but that's not a problem I should discuss here. There is however a different line of thought: any vastly different value of alpha produces a universe that doesn't have any observer within it. We, as human and observing agents, can exist only in a relatively thin range of values for alpha. So mind-boggling doubt on why nature should shape in a way that allows us to observe is upside-down: given that we exist, the universe must necessarily have the fundamental physics to allow our existence, however unlikely it would seem. This is also solved easily in the theory of multiverses: if an infinity of universes exist, each with random physical constants, only those with values that allow life will have observers inside wondering why they are so special. Nobody will exist in the others.

So yeah, 137 is a pretty important number!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2962 on: February 18, 2019, 12:50:05 PM »
Possible contender for nerdiest DT song ever?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2964 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
I do think the topic is sooo Mike Mangini. JLB in that interview, before talk about this lyric, even said that "Mangini, who is obsessed with mathematics, to the point of look like a mathematician..." :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2965 on: February 18, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
Will the digipak be available in music stores in the US/Canada? It’s not on the site of the music store I go to in Canada and it’s not on Amazon.ca.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:37:49 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2966 on: February 18, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
I do think the topic is sooo Mike Mangini. JLB in that interview, before talk about this lyric, even said that "Mangini, who is obsessed with mathematics, to the point of look like a mathematician..." :lol

Well, he DID study rocket science before being a professional drummer :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2967 on: February 18, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
1. From what I've read, it seems like D/T is a continuation of the path they went on with DT12, namely of short, concise songs that just say what needs to be said and then they're done.

2. I watched back a couple of the recording videos they put up on Youtube of the drum tracking, and it looks like Mangini had his hi-hats(?) up high, as in the Untethered Angel video. To me (not a drummer), that looks like it would be deeply uncomfortable. But Mangini absolutely must know what he's doing. He's been drumming for decades.

3. I wonder if DT knew that Untethered Angel is the 137th song in their studio album discography?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:32:17 PM by RoeDent »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2968 on: February 18, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »
Will the digipak be available in music stores in the US/Canada? It’s not on the site of the music store I go to in Canada and it’s not on Amazon.ca.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/distance-over-time-digipak-preorder

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2969 on: February 18, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
:lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2970 on: February 18, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »
I've read an interview with JLB on Roadiecrew's magazine (www.roadiecrew.com.br), where he explains that this song is about physicist Wolfgang Pauli and his obsession with the constant 1/137. And coincidentally, it was the number of hospital's room where he died. Interesting that JLB also said that Mangini had this idea for a lyric, but he kind of sent the lyrics to JP, JR and JLB to actually shape them into that song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Pauli

"In 1958, Pauli was awarded the Max Planck medal. In that same year, he fell ill with pancreatic cancer. When his last assistant, Charles Enz, visited him at the Rotkreuz hospital in Zurich, Pauli asked him: "Did you see the room number?" It was number 137. Throughout his life, Pauli had been preoccupied with the question of why the fine structure constant, a dimensionless fundamental constant, has a value nearly equal to 1/137. Pauli died in that room on 15 December 1958.[14]"

Thanks! This definitely gives me a better understanding of what MM was going for. I didn't know the reference originally and was rather confused by the song when I heard it.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2971 on: February 19, 2019, 04:00:08 AM »
Cool, I thought it could be helpfull. By the way, JLB also mentioned that the song was recorded at 137 bpm.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #2972 on: February 19, 2019, 04:47:21 AM »
also is anyone familiar with the now cancelled series "Flash Forward"?

In it, all living beings black out at the same time due to a quantum experiment for exactly 2 minutes and 17 seconds! There was a plot thread linking it to the fine structure constant.

\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2973 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
The Japan version of the album contains 9 +1 song and another CD of ONLY intrumental tracks