Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252254 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2730 on: February 09, 2019, 09:47:41 PM »
80s metal and 2000’s metal are very different.  In the early 90s dt sounded like a mix of Metallica, Styx, rush and insert hair metal band.  I love that combo... I’m not into the nu metal vibe that began with TOT.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2731 on: February 09, 2019, 09:57:35 PM »
As a fan of Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Styx and not a fan of any post 80's metal bands though I always hope for the more progressive side of DT.

Me too. I would love an album totally prog, like the first minute of A Life Left Behind (expanded to 60-80 minutes  :biggrin:). No metal. No rock opera style. Would be different.

But that's probably not going to happen.  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2732 on: February 10, 2019, 02:13:13 AM »
To me at least DT have always been a metal band with prog tendencies rather than the other way around. Their fan base has always been on the metal (or at least hard rock) end of the spectrum, more Rush/Deep Purple/Maiden than Genesis/Yes. There was a shift in sound which started on SDOIT with Glass Prison and continued on TOT where there was this more sludgy down tuned guitar sound which I am generally not a huge fan of. The songs also began to get longer with lots of unnecessary (imo) generic riffing and super fast shredding solos. I like DT being a metal band as I mostly listen to hard rock and metal music but I also like the melodic epic side of metal rather than the Slayer/Pantera side so I like DT to be melodic. Something like Pull Me Under is clearly a metal song but it is also melodic.

When I heard The Astonishing I liked it but I knew straight away that it would turn off a lot of fans as it was not a metal album at all, more like a Broadway musical. I still say that it would’ve been better received had it been marketed as a musical written by JP/JR and fans knew what to expect rather than “the new Dream Theater album”. DT’s sweet spot is melodic prog metal and fans get antsy if they go too far in the metal direction (TOT) or too far in the melodic direction (TA).

Based on what we’ve heard the new album is a little on the heavier side but still melodic and without the long bloated riff workouts that clogged up TOT.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2733 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:52 AM »
I'm always surprised at the "folks didn't dig TOT/TA/ANYDTALBUM because it was too HEAVY/BROADWAY/SOMESTYLE" point.

I love prog, all styles of metal, pop, rock, jazz. And discovering DT in 2000 made a huge impact on my appreciation of how various musical flavours can co-exist together in moving, coherent songs. It's my absolute favourite aspect of the band, and their unique quality, imo. I can't think of another band that pulls it off so well.

TOT/TA just didn't quite succeed, imo. Great efforts, and masses of respect for trying them both, but they just weren't that great, afaic. Just way too many cringe-worthy moments in both, for me.

It's not the musical style of these records that's the problem for me. I think that's too simple and obvious an explanation for their divisiveness.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: February 10, 2019, 04:00:03 AM »
Just listened to Paralyzed for the first time.  For me it's easily the best song of the three.  I really get the Labrie solo vibe.  I've been digging Labrie solo over DT for a while now so I guess my opinion makes sense.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2735 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Kind of indifferent on the 3rd single. Maybe in the context of the album it will feel stronger.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2736 on: February 10, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
I think I’ve reached the point where Paralyzed is my favourite of the 3 songs released, probably because I find the vocals melodies to be more pleasing to my ears than the other two.

Offline genome

« Reply #2737 on: February 10, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
I think the vocals are in a range that James really shines in, where he can sing naturally and where his emotion really comes out. I don't think there's any coincidence that his solo albums are being compared to this song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: February 10, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
I think the vocals are in a range that James really shines in, where he can sing naturally and where his emotion really comes out. I don't think there's any coincidence that his solo albums are being compared to this song.

True, this fits hit voice today and I'd imagine will be much easier for him to sing today and in the future as well compared to the older stuff.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2739 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
I like all the three songs sofar. Im glad they got rid of the pointless wankery after BC&SL and able to produce such concise songs as Paralyzed. What suprises me a bit is the difference in style between the songs as if they come from different albums. In that way Im curious about the album as a total arrangement.

How about the tasty guitar work from JP on Paralyzed! On fire. Loving it!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2740 on: February 10, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
JP's solo on Paralysed definitely is very melodic. (and I think he always tends to emphasize the melody in his lines, during a solo and otherwise. But what am I to know, I'm a drummer)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2741 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »
I've listened to Paralyzed several times since its release. I didn't like it. It will definitely be skipped frequently.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:44:19 AM by Dedalus »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
Out of the three singles, I'd say JP is the MVP of them.  His riffage and soloing is very awesome in all three songs.  Not that everyone else isn't great, but he stands out to me the most and is most impressive so far IMO.  I'm listening to Paralyzed for the second time now, definitely like it even more than my first listen.  This is just a really good hard rock song.  I can see how some of the prog folks might not find it up their ally, but I am expecting the rest of the album to be more interesting for those folks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2743 on: February 10, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't really consider myself to be a metalhead by any means, but I'm grateful for anything they do. That being said, I'm sure anything on the album starting from Barstool Warrior will appeal to the prog diehards.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2744 on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:55 PM »
I love when this happens.
......Now I remember how I felt when I first listened to nearly all of DT music because I am only 3 years into it. Octavarium, wasn't until after few times and couple of skips, that I went "OMGosh! what is this?!".  BAI, skip (then that fateful day - a new emotion that cannot be labeled happened during JP's solo). BMUBMD, weird start, skip, same with 6:00, finally one day listening through and thinking, "wth? I have been missing some good stuff!"
  Home - This song Rocks! this band is Amazing!...And so forth...

I put on Paralyzed today. It had been in my mind that is was #3 of the singles. And then boom! I was driving home this morning on a beautiful sunny, blue sky day after 18 inches of snow last night, and Paralyzed came on - I had to open my sunroof and play it as loud as I could stand it. 2x. Now it's stuck in my head and for the moment my favorite of the 3. JLB sounds so good   :yarr and that groovy edgy music..
Batting 1000 so far on D/T.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2745 on: February 10, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »
I haven't loved the singles, especially Paralyzed, but since pre-ordering and listening as a mini album on iTunes, I like it a lot. Currently it's an improved DT12 to me but...only 3 tracks in.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2746 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
Guys, it just sunk in.

I love this mix. Holy shit. I finally got over the "ok let's find flaws in this as we always do" phase and it's absolutely ear candy. Maybe not Vector level, but it's mighty and it's warm. MM's drums sound really cool! Finally. I never was one to criticize so passionately the drum production in the last couple of albums, but they definitely had some issues here and there. This might crack one of my top 5 DT drum mixes (let's face it, MP usually sounded pretty great in DT).

I even revisited Untethered Angel, song which I had some issues with regarding the mix when it was released but I don't anymore. It feels good being here, but listening with incredibly judgemental and "educated" ears. I don't ever wanna go lol.

Paralyzed rocks. I love the Elements of Persuassion vibe.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2747 on: February 10, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
Listened to Paralyzed and loved that one. JLB sounds amazing on it. A tad short but not bad at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2748 on: February 11, 2019, 12:53:51 AM »
I like all the three songs sofar. Im glad they got rid of the pointless wankery after BC&SL and able to produce such concise songs as Paralyzed. What suprises me a bit is the difference in style between the songs as if they come from different albums. In that way Im curious about the album as a total arrangement.

Disagree, I think they all sound like they're from the same album sessions. Not digging the singles as much as I had hoped I would, but they are singles. I'll probably stick to them for the 1st few spins of DoT, but then will likely skip them. Still hoping for a great release to come. JP is sounding great though so far.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2749 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:06 AM »
They sound like they come from the same album sessions because of the production, but can you really say that about the song styles? What is the similarity in style of UA and FitL?

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2750 on: February 11, 2019, 03:16:47 AM »
They sound like they come from the same album sessions because of the production, but can you really say that about the song styles? What is the similarity in style of UA and FitL?

No, I was talking about the sound/production, but as I was thinking about it, the verse/chorus themes are similar in their structures.

Offline genome

« Reply #2751 on: February 11, 2019, 04:07:24 AM »
Having taken a few days to digest the song, I think Paralyzed is my favourite so far. The main riff is meaty, JLB is really in his element (of persuasion  ;D), the solo is really good, Jordan is really restrained, in a good way.

Sure, it's short, but I prefer to think of it as "concise". Everything is as long as it needs be.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2752 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:13 AM »
That's a weird criticism/remark. What, other than production, tells you Another Day is the same album as Pull Me Under? What, other than production, tells you The Silent Man is the same album as Lie? How about Hollow Years and Just Let Me Breathe? That's kinda what DT has been all about...

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2753 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:06 AM »
That's a weird criticism/remark. What, other than production, tells you Another Day is the same album as Pull Me Under? What, other than production, tells you The Silent Man is the same album as Lie? How about Hollow Years and Just Let Me Breathe? That's kinda what DT has been all about...

Were you referring to my comment? As I stated, I meant it as the sound/production in general. The other comment was more of an afterthought.

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2756 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »
I have the 4 disc box set pre ordered on Amazon and now its saying it's out of stock. The other DOT versions all say "will be released on Feb. 22nd". To me that seems to be an indication that I will not get the box set in the release day and perhaps they'll even cancel it.

I was hoping being on a new label would avoid any box set problems like with the astonishing but now I'm wondering.

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #2757 on: February 11, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »
Same with the full up box set on Amazon.  No date for release.

Frank

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2758 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
Might it just mean the stock they had is sold out because people like you have pre-ordered?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2759 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »
...and on the Century Media website it says it's sold out.

I can hope that means that they reached the maximum for all orders and will send it out to all who preordered it through Amazon and them and whoever else but I'm skeptical  >:(

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #2760 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »
"DT is only <this> for me, and if DT does something that is outside of my accepted definition of <this>, it's bad."

Man, 20 years of dealing with the DT fan community, and the same noise is still murmuring.

DT is a sum of many parts, and the importance of those parts are different from person to person. I don't get the need for people to say "I don't want DT to play -that-, because I don't like that".
:metal :metal :metal :tup :tup :tup

Exactly this.

I don't get it either. Receive and appreciate their music for what it is.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #2761 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »
Personally, the song that really defines Dream Theater for me is Lord Nafaryus. Anything that isn't prog-tango isn't Dream Theater.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2762 on: February 11, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
I really like that DT chose the first 3 tracks on the album as their early releases. Makes it feel more okay to listen before having the full album. Very smart.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2763 on: February 11, 2019, 01:08:55 PM »
One thing that impresses me about the reviews so far is that none of them point to the 3 pre-released songs as highlights of the album. The reviews make it seem like the songs get even more interesting after track 3, in which case it's very exciting

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2764 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
One thing that impresses me about the reviews so far is that none of them point to the 3 pre-released songs as highlights of the album. The reviews make it seem like the songs get even more interesting after track 3, in which case it's very exciting
Agreed!  :tup