Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252209 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2695 on: February 09, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »
I just heard Paralyzed for the first time. I like it. It’s a solid single. Sort of like what Forsaken aspired to be (and failed IMO).

Mostly I agree with what someone said earlier about it sounding like a JLB solo track....only really good like on EOP, not the garbage from Static Impulse.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: February 09, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
I finally listened and I cna totally hear, especially in the first verse, why people compared it to JLB solo or Breaking Benjamin.  But I'm not sure the song overall really sounds like either, just the first verse got me.  I only had one listen so I'm going off that.  I enjoyed it, it may be my least favorite of the 3 singles, but by no means was it bad.  Very straight forward hard hitting song.  I do like that all three of these songs are heavy, as expected, but all still really good music.  It makes me think the rest of the album is going to be really good because usualyl the singles aren't the best the album has to offer.

Can't wait to get this full album  :metal :metal :metal

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2697 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
One more listen to paralyzed just now, hopefully my last until the album.     I enjoyed it, definitely straightforward in structure but still has all of the band members rocking out with energy.   

It actually sounds a bit like 90's DT doing Constant Motion.     A little too straightforward for my tastes but energetic and inspired nonetheless.   

3 solid singles... I am so excited for the album!

Offline genome

« Reply #2698 on: February 09, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
Anyone else really like the way James sings "martyr" at 1:48

Marduurrrr

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2699 on: February 09, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
Anyone else really like the way James sings "martyr" at 1:48

Marduurrrr

Actually I don't get why some of posters here critize James' vocal soulless like he is just there nothing more. Quite opposite, I think his vocals on Paralyzed is intense and soulful.

On the other hand, UA and FITL don't have interesting vocals but still powerfull.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2700 on: February 09, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
Soooo, I know it is generally poopooed to talk about band image choices, but, what's with this style? (source)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2701 on: February 09, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
The song's decent overall. It's not bad by any means, but it doesn't quite reach the quality of FitL. It has grown on me a lot, though, in the few times I've listened to it. Lyrics are really good and the track is very well written. I wish JR's keyboard parts were higher in the mix, because they're fantastic whenever I do hear them and I'm sad that they get buried. I like it, but don't love it.

The animation video is much better done than the one for Fall Into the Light, tho. Whereas FitL feels like it's a 4min video stretched to 8, Paralyzed doesn't have as much repeating and is overall more entertaining. There are some things that definitely do NOT work (saggy d-cup ladybots, the awkward fleshy suit rendering, the hallway shot at the end, the awkward logo shoo-ins, the dirt triangle???) but it's definitely a step up in quality over the last one. It's much higher quality than a lot of metal music videos, which is good. But...

What the HELL does any of this have to do with the song? The song, in JP's own words, is about "The song is an introspective reflection on the negative impact that being obstinate or single-minded can have on important relationships." Which isn't really shown in the video whatsoever. It's a bit of a leap from "don't be stubborn because it'll damage your relationships" to "mass-produced saggy d-cup ladybots and floating dirt triangles". And this is a problem I'm seeing with a lot of metal videos in general: it just doesn't match the music or lyrics whatsoever. All there is nowadays is futuristic dystopian visuals with randomly inserted CGI futuristic technology, which have become to metal what focus-group attractive young adult blonde women in bikinis walking on the beach is to EDM.

Compare that to, say, the video for "Call Me Maybe". It is, while simple, a great illustration of the overall "story" and meaning of the song. Girl sees hot guy, is attracted to him, gives him her number, and then finds out he's gay at the end (because all Carly Rae Jepsen songs are actually about unrequited love). "Bad Blood" is essentially about a celebrity feud and the overall plot of the music video reflects that. "Animals" by Muse is about runaway corporate greed turning us into savages, and the video reflects that with the big suits literally grinding people up into money. I hardly ever see that with metal, which seems like it's more focused on what "looks cool" rather than reinforcing the music and giving a visual element to what the song is trying to say.

idk it's just been bothering me lately

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2702 on: February 09, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
The video just seems like an extension of the album artwork rather than telling the story of the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2703 on: February 09, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »

Never mixed vocals i guess or had any knnowledge about vocal recording.
In no way you can hide a vocal inability in a mix. In the mixes so far i hear a strong studio performance by Labrie with added FX to meet a more mechanic  'metalized' touch.

To clarify, by no means do I think JLB has "lost it"; I just think his voice isn't quite what it used to be, which I can't imagine anyone would disagree with.  Good luck finding a singer who sings in that style who sounds as good as 55 as he did at 25, 35 or even 45. 

Yeah, that makes sense, and I would agree with that.  Your original post did read more along the lines of you trying to say that he has lost it.  But I get what you are saying now.

Regarding Paralyzed, what I love most about it is that beastly chorus riff.  Really reminds me of a slightly heavier Alter Bridge. 

Regarding the album as a whole, it's interesting that I am having a tough time coming up with a least favorite track.  There really aren't any that I don't like at this point.  The ones I was having the most trouble getting into, S2N and Pale Blue Dot, are starting to click now.  At Wit's End is climbing up to be among the favorites.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2704 on: February 09, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
Are we sure Paralyzed isn’t the bonus track?

The last thing I want in my DT music is Alterbridge.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2705 on: February 09, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Just now pre-ordered the album on iTunes. So, listening to the three tracks in order on the album gives me a better sense of them.  Untethered Angel is pretty good. Paralyzed is like a heavier Forsaken. I really like Fall Into the Light. I love the middle section. I’m really excited about this album now.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2706 on: February 09, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
Me too. Not long now. I'm excited about all the other songs too though and how the entire album will unfold as it were.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:26:00 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2707 on: February 09, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »
"DT is only <this> for me, and if DT does something that is outside of my accepted definition of <this>, it's bad."

Man, 20 years of dealing with the DT fan community, and the same noise is still murmuring.

DT is a sum of many parts, and the importance of those parts are different from person to person. I don't get the need for people to say "I don't want DT to play -that-, because I don't like that".

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2708 on: February 09, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
One thing that just stuck out to me about the acoustic intro to Untethered Angel: it reminds me a lot of the acoustic intro to In The Name Of God.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: February 09, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
DT is a sum of many parts, and the importance of those parts are different from person to person. I don't get the need for people to say "I don't want DT to play -that-, because I don't like that".

Maybe it's because I'm practically a DT fanboi but I feel like when DT does something I typically might not like, I almost always end up liking it because DT are just that good at what they do.  I Walk Besides You is not the type of music I necessarily want DT to make, but I certainly end up enjoying the song. 

Offline metrojam

« Reply #2710 on: February 09, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »
I don't know what world I live in. I've never heard of Breaking Benjamin before Paralyzed.

Neither had I, and I'm going to assume TAC hasn't either. So don't feel alone.

Neither have I and I don't have any intention of ever listening to any of their stuff either!!....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: February 09, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »
Are we sure Paralyzed isn’t the bonus track?

The last thing I want in my DT music is Alterbridge.

It does sound a bit like a bonus track to me too but I think it's a bit of a grower , even though it's rather straight forward/"modern".  I quite like the way the chorus builds until the "I am Paralysed" line stops it in its tracks  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2712 on: February 09, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
"DT is only <this> for me, and if DT does something that is outside of my accepted definition of <this>, it's bad."

Man, 20 years of dealing with the DT fan community, and the same noise is still murmuring.

What's the most absurd case in your experience of people hating on a song for being different and the same song later being (mostly) unanimously appreciated?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2713 on: February 09, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
I'm not sure there's a song I can point to, but I can definitely point to albums. If you were to follow the loud people on the forums when Train of Thought was released, it was VERY poorly received by a certain portion of the fan base. Now it's regarded as a high point of their discography.

Hmm, maybe Misunderstood - I remember that was very much hated upon due to the experimental portions of the track...

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2714 on: February 09, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »
I'm not sure there's a song I can point to, but I can definitely point to albums. If you were to follow the loud people on the forums when Train of Thought was released, it was VERY poorly received by a certain portion of the fan base. Now it's regarded as a high point of their discography.

Hmm, maybe Misunderstood - I remember that was very much hated upon due to the experimental portions of the track...

Love Misunderstood. Most of Train of Thought does nothing for me, but it has its moments and I definitely wouldn't be bashing the band just because it's not my thing. DT's music is so diverse, there's something for everyone.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2715 on: February 09, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
Funny thing with Train Of Thought is that it’s probably one of my least favourite DT albums but, when you hear the songs live, they are always awesome. I remember JP saying their aim was to write a whole album of killer live songs and I guess they succeeded but it’s not an album I sit and listen to very often.

As for the new songs, I have to say, for all the nitpicking (me included) I’m enjoying them a lot. It’s funny going back to UA after not listening for a while and it’s like an old friend now, just sounds like classic DT, not saying it is a DT classic, that’s a different thing but I enjoy it and Paralyzed is a really cool short song. I actually like the vocal effect on the ‘I’m paralyzed’ bit and starting to enjoy JLB’s performance in the whole song more. Again it sounds very like classic DT to me, just shorter, not seeing why anyone sees it as some huge nu-metal departure, it could easily fit on the FII album for example. For all it is a ‘standard’ song structure, there’s loads of cool riff variations from JP throughout. For me FITL is the biggest departure as it is very Metallica sounding but still a nice chorus and instrumental section and I like it.  Don’t think any of these songs will go down as classics but they are very solid enjoyable songs and hopefully even better to come, very intrigued to hear Pale Blue Dot after all that’s been written. Less than a fortnight to go !
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:51:22 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2716 on: February 09, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »

I think the main thing that determines if the DT fanbase likes one of their albums or not is age haha. Like, people were super critical of Falling Into Infinity for a while, but now that it's about 20 years old I've seen more people reevaluating it and defending it. From what I saw, it was the same for Train of Thought, which people only started to like when it was like 10 years old lol.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2717 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »

True. TOT was barely received when it was released. But wasn't the fanbase completely different then? At least on a local scale, I can say it was.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2718 on: February 09, 2019, 08:08:38 PM »
ToT split the fan base because it was such a radical departure from their previous style. In those days there were still a lot of "old progheads" into Dream Theater who liked Yes and Genesis, those usually did not like this much more metal-oriented album. After ToT, quite a noticeable change in the fan base on this forum happened, with a lot more metalheads coming in.

So, I think one major reason ToT has done well over time is because it kinda created its own fanbase on this forum and elsewhere.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2719 on: February 09, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »

Very true. I wonder if some of the re-evaluation after initial thoughts come about, because after many more time and albums, they realise that TOT (in this case) was actually something different and worthwhile. What I mean, is that after a concept album and a 2-disc experimental album, it was actually different to go back to a concise, all metal album. While those that had loved the previous two releases were perhaps at the time confused to where this metal album came from, what we can now see is cool songs performed live, in an album that was a great change of pace, and now fits well with albums that have come after it. So, those extra years and album releases now provide more context amongst the DT discography if that makes sense...

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2720 on: February 09, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
** double post. Please delete.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:29:32 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2721 on: February 09, 2019, 08:19:58 PM »
ToT split the fan base because it was such a radical departure from their previous style. In those days there were still a lot of "old progheads" into Dream Theater who liked Yes and Genesis, those usually did not like this much more metal-oriented album. After ToT, quite a noticeable change in the fan base on this forum happened, with a lot more metalheads coming in.

So, I think one major reason ToT has done well over time is because it kinda created its own fanbase on this forum and elsewhere.

Exactly. I think you've summed it up very well.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2722 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

Very true. I wonder if some of the re-evaluation after initial thoughts come about, because after many more time and albums, they realise that TOT (in this case) was actually something different and worthwhile. What I mean, is that after a concept album and a 2-disc experimental album, it was actually different to go back to a concise, all metal album. While those that had loved the previous two releases were perhaps at the time confused to where this metal album came from, what we can now see is cool songs performed live, in an album that was a great change of pace, and now fits well with albums that have come after it. So, those extra years and album releases now provide more context for TOT amongst the DT discography if that makes sense...

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2723 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2724 on: February 09, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
Sorry guys, not sure what’s going haywire with all the double posts...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2725 on: February 09, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
The thing is that DT's discography is so broad that there's probably something for everybody (within the prog/rock/metal boundaries), and this kind of creates a problem, because you have one side of the spectrum who likes the softer/proggier side of things and the other side which are people who generally prefer the heavier stuff. Of course there's a lot of people in between, as this isn't a mutually exclusive case, but those two opposite sides exist and can be very vocal about things. Every time a new album comes, it's definitely going to be liked by a section of the fanbase and disliked by other, and that's fine. What I just can't understand is the people who come to these places (DTF, Reddit, DT social media, etc) just to complain about everything they do.

Other thing that happens is the eternal discussion between the fans of the old and the new DT. If they release something something with a similar style to their classic albums, some people will love it and some will complain saying that they're stuck and can't create anything fresh anymore. The opposite is also true, if they release something different, there's people who will complain that they don't sound like they used to and so forth.

TL;DR: Doesn't matter what they do, there's always going to be a group of people complaining about it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2726 on: February 09, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »
The thing is that DT's discography is so broad that there's probably something for everybody (within the prog/rock/metal boundaries), and this kind of creates a problem, because you have one side of the spectrum who likes the softer/proggier side of things and the other side which are people who generally prefer the heavier stuff. Of course there's a lot of people in between, as this isn't a mutually exclusive case, but those two opposite sides exist and can be very vocal about things. Every time a new album comes, it's definitely going to be liked by a section of the fanbase and disliked by other, and that's fine. What I just can't understand is the people who come to these places (DTF, Reddit, DT social media, etc) just to complain about everything they do.

You're right. But I don't think it's a proportional distribution (not that it should be). The metalhead side is bigger than the softer/proggier side. The TA days have made this very clear.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2727 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »
And it shouldn't be a surprise really. When they signed with RR, they really doubled down on the metal aspect, and these days "returning back to the roots" for DT usually means a heavy-hitting metal album.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2728 on: February 09, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »
For me personally, TOT has held the test of time because I am loyal to DT and objectively, I believe it to be their best album post SDOIT.    When it came out I hated it because it was much worse than anything that preceded it but now that pretty much every album after it has been worse than TOT I view it as a middle of the road DT album.  Of course this is just my opinion.

I probably like TA and DT12 better because they are more progressive rock and that is where my tastes lie, however, TOT is a tour de force of metal and the last time I felt like they captured the youthful prime combined with inspiration.   TA has inspiration but not youthful prime and DT12 has a style I like better but not as much inspiration.

These of course are all just MY opinions but thats why TOT stands up better for me.  Its almost like the Black Album for metallica bridging the gape between their prime and their post prime.    However, I believe all DT albums are worthy of consistent play and are all pretty much great whereas Metallica made some crap.

I have simply gotten used to the "Metal DT" now so songs I despised back in 2003 like Honor Thy Father I actually quite enjoy now.

I still wish they would go back to making heavy progressive rock like their 90's albums which I thought was going to be their permanent direction after TA but they got so much flack for it I guess they wanted to go back to metal again.    Still digging the three singles especially knowing there is more progressive stuff to come on the album. 

As a fan of Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Styx and not a fan of any post 80's metal bands though I always hope for the more progressive side of DT.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:32:00 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2729 on: February 09, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
And it shouldn't be a surprise really. When they signed with RR, they really doubled down on the metal aspect, and these days "returning back to the roots" for DT usually means a heavy-hitting metal album.

When DT12 came out and they had talked about returning to their roots, I thought it sounded more like WDADU than almost any other DT album since I&W. Their first album I think has an understated attribute of actually being mostly metal-oriented than prog-oriented, even though it's a less heavy 80s metal style rather than the detuned, more 90s/2000s style they adapted later in ToT.