Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252231 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1995 on: January 11, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
:tdwn Another VERY uninspired song  :facepalm: This song could be straight from The Astonishing(ly boring album). Aside from the awesome middle section (by JP & JR), this song is another loser. Two for two bad ones so far. My hopes have faded. >:(
Trump is that you?

:lol

*EDIT*

:tdwn Another VERY uninspired song  :facepalm: This song could be straight from The Astonishing(ly boring album). Aside from the awesome middle section (by JP & JR), this song is another loser. Two for two bad ones so far. My hopes have faded. >:(

Am I the only one that thinks this post reads like a Donald Trump tweet?

Damn, didn't see this post.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:37:22 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1996 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Downloaded it from iTunes first thing morning, threw it my phone, and then listened to it on the way to work and then again a few minutes ago on the ear buds while doing some paper work at my desk. 

I can't decided what I think about it yet.  There is a lot to like, but not sure how cohesive it is, and none of the vocal melodies stuck with me (sitting here, I cannot remember any of them).  I know some are having issues with the effects being used on JLB's voice, but I am guessing they need to do a fair amount of studio magic with it more often than not to get it to sound how they want it to.

More listens to come...

I pre ordered the album when Un Tethered Angel came out, I wonder why this song didn't download automatically for me on Amazon Music, I see it available to buy. Anyhow great song!

Hmmm, mine showed up on Amazon at midnight EST and I didn’t even buy the album yet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1997 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
I know some are having issues with the effects being used on JLB's voice, but I am guessing they need to do a fair amount of studio magic with it more often than not to get it to sound how they want it to.

I don't think so.  The vocals were relatively clean (effects-wise) on the last three albums and sounded just fine.  It reminds me a lot of the effects used in parts of Beyond This Life.  It didn't bother me then, and doesn't bother me know.  If it's me mixing the album, I think I would have gone for the effects-free approach of the last three albums.  But, again, it's not that big a deal.  I obviously didn't get to record and mix the album, and I'm not going to waste time critiquing the album I might wish they made rather than enjoying the album they did make.

I don't want to cause a whole big debate about the current state of JLB's voice, but for now I will just say that I do not think we can assume his voice is in the same shape it was when recording the last three albums. He is older now and his voice seemed to take a beating on the last tour, and sometimes your voice just never returns to being what it was, even a few months prior (similar to Stevie Nicks' voice never being the same after she abused it on a solo tour in the early 80's).

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1998 on: January 11, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
I know some are having issues with the effects being used on JLB's voice, but I am guessing they need to do a fair amount of studio magic with it more often than not to get it to sound how they want it to.

I don't think so.  The vocals were relatively clean (effects-wise) on the last three albums and sounded just fine.  It reminds me a lot of the effects used in parts of Beyond This Life.  It didn't bother me then, and doesn't bother me know.  If it's me mixing the album, I think I would have gone for the effects-free approach of the last three albums.  But, again, it's not that big a deal.  I obviously didn't get to record and mix the album, and I'm not going to waste time critiquing the album I might wish they made rather than enjoying the album they did make.

I don't want to cause a whole big debate about the current state of JLB's voice, but for now I will just say that I do not think we can assume his voice is in the same shape it was when recording the last three albums. He is older now and his voice seemed to take a beating on the last tour, and sometimes your voice just never returns to being what it was, even a few months prior (similar to Stevie Nicks' voice never being the same after she abused it on a solo tour in the early 80's).

Yeah, I’m just surprised and glad that its as good as it is at his age. Think of all of the rock singers with any range that totally went south way earlier.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1999 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
If that's the case, that's fine.  But there has been nothing to suggest that his studio vocals are in any need of augmenting.  We can speculate about it all we want, but there has been no direct or indirect evidence of that.  It's kind of like saying, "well, JP's lead runs on this album are dripping with effects, and he know they played a lot of dates and his hands took a beating in the last couple of years, so it's reasonable to assume that they are covering up for an obvious loss of playing ability on his part."  It's possible, but just doesn't add up based on any facts that we know of.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2000 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »

I feel you, but the types of effects being used on his voice aren't ones that are used to cover up bad performances. They sound like they are washed in chorus and the EQ seems weird, almost like there is a frequency in the low mids that needed cut but didn't get cut and it's muddying up some articulation and definition. Non of that points to a performance issue.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2001 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
Is it just me or anybody waits some melodic vocals from James in the middle section. I was like "Come on, where is James?"  :lol It would be truly magical but as it is it's still great.  :metal

Oh yes, absolutely! I love James in sections like that and he would have nailed it!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2002 on: January 11, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »

I feel you, but the types of effects being used on his voice aren't ones that are used to cover up bad performances. They sound like they are washed in chorus and the EQ seems weird, almost like there is a frequency in the low mids that needed cut but didn't get cut and it's muddying up some articulation and definition. Non of that points to a performance issue.

Agreed, I think it’s by design and not by necessity, but I do hope the whole album is not quite that drastic. Doesn’t bother me that much though.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2003 on: January 11, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

Pros:

-How melodic and tuneful the whole song is while still being super heavy

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2004 on: January 11, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
Really liking this one. Liked UA and like this one more.

Great natural, lively vibe; plenty of stuff we've not heard from DT before; nice drum sound for MM; catchy chorus; heavy; beautiful sweeping mid-section.

Yet more excitement for this record. DT are fully BACK on my menu!  :laugh:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2005 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
The Metallica vibes are strong in this one. That's not bad by any means, as I'm a big Metallica fan and will always be. Even the interlude sounds like something out of Metallica's Black Album era, but with DT's very clear stamp. Vocal melodies are stronger than UA (song which has grown on me in the past couple of days) and I really didn't find any problems with the drums this time around. I think I just needed to get that "new DT album - time to overanalyze and judge the production!" label out of my head and just enjoy the music for what it is. This got me pumped for the album! Can't wait to hear it all.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2006 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
Going back to JP coming up with the main riffs during the G3 tour and what I said above, give a listen to the first few songs in his set.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCpXe8KQjk  From a guitar perspective, Fall Into the Light fits right in with the types of dark, heaving riffing from his version of Wrath of the Amazons, and these performances of Jaws of Life and Damage Control. 

I know Geeeemo saw that tour as well.  I suspect she will agree with this sentiment.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:37:59 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2007 on: January 11, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »
Downloaded it from iTunes first thing morning, threw it my phone, and then listened to it on the way to work and then again a few minutes ago on the ear buds while doing some paper work at my desk. 

I can't decided what I think about it yet.  There is a lot to like, but not sure how cohesive it is, and none of the vocal melodies stuck with me (sitting here, I cannot remember any of them).  I know some are having issues with the effects being used on JLB's voice, but I am guessing they need to do a fair amount of studio magic with it more often than not to get it to sound how they want it to.

More listens to come...

I pre ordered the album when Un Tethered Angel came out, I wonder why this song didn't download automatically for me on Amazon Music, I see it available to buy. Anyhow great song!

I was wondering the same thing. Me and Amazon have had a rough week this week and this just another example of how I feel like their service(s) are slipping.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2008 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
In addition to the James' current voice, even though there are effects on his voice I think UA and FITL are singer friendly songs when it comes to performe live like Breaking All Illusions. He always nails it live.

What bothers me much is not the effect but the mix. Even bass mix is great... Well.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2009 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
I would say that of the two released songs James is easily the least impressive/most forgettable. I'm okay with considering he really slayed The Astonishing and that was so melodic. Not knocking his performance, just accepting that his presence so far has not been so upfront.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2010 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
Trump is that you?

:lol

*EDIT*

Am I the only one that thinks this post reads like a Donald Trump tweet?

Damn, didn't see this post.  :facepalm:

:RJ:

Offline emtee

« Reply #2011 on: January 11, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
Love the music, especially JP. Luke warm on the vocals. I thought I was playing
a hidden track from Hardwired To Self Destruct.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2012 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
So JP posted saying the animation is a "lyric video" don't see any lyrics.

Just found that funny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2013 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »
Pros
-Great Riff
-Melodic
-Amazing Drums
-Amazing Bass
-Metallica vibe
-Great keyboard sound

Cons
- Eric Gillette and MP didn't get enough writing credit on early reviews

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2014 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
In addition to the James' current voice, even though there are effects on his voice I think UA and FITL are singer friendly songs when it comes to performe live like Breaking All Illusions. He always nails it live.

What bothers me much is not the effect but the mix. Even bass mix is great... Well.

What bothers you about the mix? His voice definitely seems loud enough on FITL. Like I wrote before, it sounds to me like a combination of a chorus effect, the EQ, and possibly how they were utilizing delay on the vocal that makes it muddy. The muddyness makes it lack some clarity but I don't feel like it's too quiet.

Actually, I just listened to the first verse. On his verse vocal, it might not be a chorus effect, it might be the delay that's making it a little muddy. It sounds like the delay trail has some low mids in it that are clouding the vocal a bit. But, the volume of his voice sounds good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2015 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
Cons

:clap:

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2016 on: January 11, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Amazing song!  :metal

Really loving the middle section from 4 minutes when the song slows down. I've actually managed to get goosebumps from that part, and that's usually a great sign. I only get that kind of reaction from songs like Comfortably Numb, Stairway To Heaven or the guitar solo in Lines In The Sand.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2017 on: January 11, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Cons

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2018 on: January 11, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »
Imho, the vocal sections in FITL haven't had a huge impact on me as UA had. But instrumentally, FITL is by now easily in my top 5 DT Mangini era songs. 8/10  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2019 on: January 11, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
Just a funny tidbit of angry DT fan trivia:

I've seen some of my friends who are/were into DT take a dive against this tune (and UA), saying they hate that it's a "more of the same they've been doing for years"; while praising with no end Neal Morse's most recent output.

I mean, nothing against good ole Neal. I've travelled internationally just to see the guy, but as much as I love him I kinda recognize (in the humblest of opinions) that he has been putting out the same album out for the past couple of years. Nothing has changed: the band, the studio, the composer, the music, the mix, the engineers etc. remain the same, as is the incredibly recognizable but kinda overdone Neal Morse musical stamp. Lots can be said against this opinion, like: "hey, but if I love A and B is very similar to A then that means that I'll love A and B equally!" but then again I think it's kinda unfair to say DT has fallen into that when clearly an album like The Astonishing marked a *clear* different path from what you've come to expect from the band.

I hope these thoughts didn't come out as confusing, but I felt like saying something about it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2020 on: January 11, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Pros
-Great Riff
-Melodic
-Amazing Drums
-Amazing Bass
-Metallica vibe (That is a pro???) :facepalm:
-Great keyboard sound

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2021 on: January 11, 2019, 03:11:05 PM »
Just listened to Illumination Theory and Breaking All Illusions....now THAT is HIGH QUALITY DT!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: January 11, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
After one listen, I didn't dig that song at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2023 on: January 11, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »
It might be splitting hairs, but I gotta say the opening of the song sounds much more like late 80s/early 90s Megadeth rather than Metallica.

Wild speculation: JR will play guitar live during that multilayered guitar section.
Much as I like the idea, no way is that gonna happen. In preparing for their tour back in 1994, the band worked up a version of Lie where DS played rhythm guitar at least part of the time, and JP ultimately nixed that idea. Then there was the intro to TCoT that would've been the perfect opportunity for JR to accompany JP on second guitar, and instead JP played along to a tape. So I can't see that changing at this late date - if JR was ever going to play rhythm/second guitar live, it would've happened already.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2024 on: January 11, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
While this is my first post, I've been following the forum for years. I was not registered and did not post anything for a number of reasons, including a lack of comfort in writing in English (sorry for the mistakes), because it is not my first language. But I think the time has come.
I thought a brief introduction was necessary.  :D

I had no great expectation about this song, as it was described as heavy, and I do not usually like heavy DT songs (e.g. Just Let Me Breathe, Lie, TDEN, ANTR, TOT, etc). But I was completely wrong! FITL is heavy, but it does not seem to have the need to be dark, like ANTR. I do not know how to explain.

When I heard it for the first time, I gave a big smile of satisfaction, because it was so much fun listening to it, right from the first impression. The last time it happened that way was with BAI and Octavarium before. Fantastic!

In a way, FITL sounds unique to me. Great song!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2025 on: January 11, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »
Welcome, Dedalus!

I like the song. A lot!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2026 on: January 11, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
While this is my first post, I've been following the forum for years. I was not registered and did not post anything for a number of reasons, including a lack of comfort in writing in English (sorry for the mistakes), because it is not my first language. But I think the time has come.
I thought a brief introduction was necessary.  :D

I had no great expectation about this song, as it was described as heavy, and I do not usually like heavy DT songs (e.g. Just Let Me Breathe, Lie, TDEN, ANTR, TOT, etc). But I was completely wrong! FITL is heavy, but it does not seem to have the need to be dark, like ANTR. I do not know how to explain.

When I heard it for the first time, I gave a big smile of satisfaction, because it was so much fun listening to it, right from the first impression. The last time it happened that way was with BAI and Octavarium before. Fantastic!

In a way, FITL sounds unique to me. Great song!

Welcome to the forum, your English is excellent, don’t worry.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2027 on: January 11, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »
Thank You TAC and Peter.

:tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2028 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:04 PM »
Wild speculation: JR will play guitar live during that multilayered guitar section.
Then there was the intro to TCoT that would've been the perfect opportunity for JR to accompany JP on second guitar, and instead JP played along to a tape.

I know that now that everything is played to click this is the easiest solution to it, but I really hope they're not going that way.  I've already been semi-miffed when JP has played some of his guitar lines to a backing track to get the harmonies, but this tune would take it to another level.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2029 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
Going back to JP coming up with the main riffs during the G3 tour and what I said above, give a listen to the first few songs in his set.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCpXe8KQjk  From a guitar perspective, Fall Into the Light fits right in with the types of dark, heaving riffing from his version of Wrath of the Amazons, and these performances of Jaws of Life and Damage Control. 

I know Geeeemo saw that tour as well.  I suspect she will agree with this sentiment.
My first G3 and first rock show without a singer. I was wondering how I would like it..JP totally hooked me. The heaviness of DT is one of the main things I love and JP was heavy. I cheered so hard I got a nod from him!.  :metal  FitL is so guitar good, I don't really mind that the lyrics aren't showcased that much. ( I hope they are in other songs though, because that is another big draw for me to DT)