Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252212 times)

Offline BelichickFan

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1680 on: December 21, 2018, 06:37:15 AM »
I just read a one paragraph synopsis (one paragraph, definitely not a review) on ProgressiveEars - I think almost anyone who reads that will be happy and very much looking forward to February 22.

Offline dream75

« Reply #1681 on: December 21, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »
I also read  ;D But strangely the guy repeats the word melody several times but never talks about heavy  :huh:

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1682 on: December 21, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
I also read  ;D But strangely the guy repeats the word melody several times but never talks about heavy  :huh:

He doesn't.

However this line: "It's essentially the opposite of The Astonishing in just about every way it can be" kind of implies it  :rollin

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1683 on: December 21, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
People say such ridiculous things. So according to this guy JP plays soaring, melodic leads and there isn’t as much “pointless” soloing unlike “previous albums”. Does this idiot not realize that The Astonishing was their previous album, which was full of melodic leads and very little shredding?? I really hate it when people don’t know what they’re talking about.

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #1684 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
People say such ridiculous things. So according to this guy JP plays soaring, melodic leads and there isn’t as much “pointless” soloing unlike “previous albums”. Does this idiot not realize that The Astonishing was their previous album, which was full of melodic leads and very little shredding?? I really hate it when people don’t know what they’re talking about.

He didn't say "the previous album" or reference The Astonishing, he is referring to a number of their prior releases he felt had excessive soloing.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1685 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »

I'm hoping they're along the lines of Ministry of Lost Souls and Best of Times.  Those are some of JP's most melodic, soaring solos IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1686 on: December 21, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »

"Previous albums" is both plural and non-specific.  Even if the author intended to include TA -- which is only the most recent previous album (singular) -- the comment obviously included more than one album.

I'm hoping they're along the lines of Ministry of Lost Souls and Best of Times.  Those are some of JP's most melodic, soaring solos IMO.

I hope there is nothing on this album that is even remotely like either of those songs, both of which are bottom 5-10 DT songs IMO.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1687 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
That’s the second person I’ve seen mention soaring melodic JP solos which makes me excited. Was a little worried with all the talk of it being a heavy album that it would be a shredfest like Train Of Thought. Don’t get me wrong, I love to see JP blowing us away with his skills but I also love his more epic moments such as the solo in Lines In The Sand or The Best Of Times.  Ideally like soaring melodic solos with shred within them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1688 on: December 21, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »

I hope there is nothing on this album that is even remotely like either of those songs, both of which are bottom 5-10 DT songs IMO.

Those two songs rank very low for me as well.  But the point was about the solos.  Notwithstanding that the songs themselves may rate very low, do you not think the solos are pretty incredible?  That would surprise me.  Or is it just more along the lines of that, since you don't listen to the songs, you don't really have a clear recollection of the solos?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1689 on: December 21, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »

Those two songs rank very low for me as well.  But the point was about the solos.  Notwithstanding that the songs themselves may rate very low, do you not think the solos are pretty incredible?  That would surprise me.  Or is it just more along the lines of that, since you don't listen to the songs, you don't really have a clear recollection of the solos?

The latter, although I recall listening to TBOT specifically to hear the solo after reading folks (either here or on the MP boards) gushing over it, and I recall not thinking it was anything special (although even JP's "nothing special" solos are better than most solos).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1690 on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
That makes sense.  I figured that might be it, which is why I asked.  I'm in a fairly similar boat, although I have listened to them enough that I know the solos a bit more (simply from listening to their respective albums).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1691 on: December 21, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
TBOT solo is my favorite part of anything Dream Theater has done.  From 11:07 on, in particular.  But the whole thing is incredible to me.  Not to sound too corny but it feels like JP is reaching into the sky with that solo.  And the solo recaps the song brilliantly.  The high point of Dream Theater for me.

As for TMoLS, no doubt the song is longer than it needed to be - and definitely not my favorite - but another fantastic "outro" solo.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #1692 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
IMO, The Best of Times is an AWESOME song. Also, Ministry of Lost Souls should have been an awesome song, but something got lost in translation, leaving it mediocre.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1693 on: December 21, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
TMOLS is the longest ballad ever.

Certified by Darkstarshades world records.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: December 21, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
I think TMOLS is a way better song than TBOT. The TBOT does have a killer solo though.

I also really love the outro of TMOLS.

Offline rab7

« Reply #1695 on: December 21, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »
I think TMOLS is a way better song than TBOT. The TBOT does have a killer solo though.

I used to like the outro, until I watched a video about how it was a uniquely modified version of a "4-chord song". Now I LOVE IT.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1696 on: December 21, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »

Problem I have with TBOT is that I find it difficult to relate, when I experiencied a loss a while ago I had to hear the song pretending it didn't have so many MP-specific lyrics.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1697 on: December 21, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls is the epitome of all the contrasting opions on DT. I think it has it all:

- People who like the song as a whole
- People who dislike the song as a whole
- People who like the main part of the song, but dislike the solo
- People who dislike the main part of the song, but like the solo

Probably the ending solo is the sole unifying factor.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1698 on: December 21, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls is the epitome of all the contrasting opions on DT. I think it has it all:

- People who like the song as a whole
- People who dislike the song as a whole
- People who like the main part of the song, but dislike the solo
- People who dislike the main part of the song, but like the solo

Probably the ending solo is the sole unifying factor.

Yeah, it's a great solo.  I dislike the song as a whole.  But the instrumental section itself is brilliant, and so is the outro solo.  If those had been in a "better" [subjective] song, they could have pushed it to over-the-top awesome. 

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1699 on: December 21, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if the instrumental section to TMOLS was written because the band didn't want to have another ballad in the album so close to Repentance. (Edit: It seems Repentance was written last, but maybe it was already considered? Whathever just a thought)

Literally, the instrumental section feels so disconnected to the rest of the song, if you showed it to someone who hasn't heard the song, there's no way that person would've known it was actually a balladesque song in disguise.

The song up until the instrumental begins is roughly 6:30 minutes, way more than most ballads, and in this time it grows up pretty greatly up to its own climax, you could have a radio edit and cut it right there and it would have been a full song to me.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1700 on: December 22, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
No 'new album thread' is complete until there's some discussion about how TMoLS feels "disconnected", right?.. :lol

Ok, I'll play..

Literally, the instrumental section feels so disconnected to the rest of the song, if you showed it to someone who hasn't heard the song, there's no way that person would've known it was actually a balladesque song in disguise.

I think that's kind of the whole point of doing it, don't you think?.. They're expert musicians, is not that they didn't know how to put that section in one song and randomly put it in there just for the sake of it.. As you mentioned, maybe they did it because there already was a long ballad in the album, and didn't wanted to do another one (even when they have very different structures and a very different vibe as well)..

But, as I've said many times, having that type of element within a song where the instrumental section seems to come from nowhere or at least it's very unexpected (thus why it feels like is from another song, which logically speaking makes no sense) is something DT did in other songs too.. Beyond this Life has it, Endless Sacrifice has it and Sacrificed Sons has it.. And, IMO, these four songs as a whole (and particularly the break-moments) are awesome just like they are, and mostly because they are like that..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1701 on: December 22, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
No 'new album thread' is complete until there's some discussion about how TMoLS feels "disconnected", right?.. :lol

Ok, I'll play..

I think that's kind of the whole point of doing it, don't you think?.. They're expert musicians, is not that they didn't know how to put that section in one song and randomly put it in there just for the sake of it.. As you mentioned, maybe they did it because there already was a long ballad in the album, and didn't wanted to do another one (even when they have very different structures and a very different vibe as well)..

But, as I've said many times, having that type of element within a song where the instrumental section seems to come from nowhere or at least it's very unexpected (thus why it feels like is from another song, which logically speaking makes no sense) is something DT did in other songs too.. Beyond this Life has it, Endless Sacrifice has it and Sacrificed Sons has it.. And, IMO, these four songs as a whole (and particularly the break-moments) are awesome just like they are, and mostly because they are like that..

Thing is none of these instrumental sections you named feel so disconnected to the song as TMOLS, you could have as well named BAI and Metropolis and that's clearly not the case.
And Mirrormask opened a thread for this so let's take it there.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #1702 on: December 24, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
I've got no one to to go the Beacon Theater show with    :-(       All of my DT friends have moved off of Long Island!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1703 on: December 24, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
I've got no one to to go the Beacon Theater show with    :-(       All of my DT friends have moved off of Long Island!!!

At least your tickets didn’t get cancelled 😒  :-\

But maybe someone from the forum can go with you :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1704 on: January 03, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
Hopefully we'll start getting some news/reviews coming in in the coming days...
Feels like a long wait till the release!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1705 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
What news is there apart from a possible second track? We know the tracklisting, the album cover. It feels like an eternity since we heard the first single. And there's still 7 weeks until the release. Heck, this pre-album thread has lain dormant for 9 days, so even DTF has run out of stuff to speculate about the album. Or was it a Christmas ceasefire?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1706 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »
There is a review in the new Decibel Magazine, but I'm not too fond of the review style. Everything has to be a simile, and the choices made describing certain tracks were just weird. Like - there's a Metallica-style track. So what simile is used? Enter Sandman. It's as though thats the only Metallica song the reviewer knows.

Other than that; what do you want to know about the new album?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1707 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
What news is there apart from a possible second track? We know the tracklisting, the album cover. It feels like an eternity since we heard the first single. And there's still 7 weeks until the release. Heck, this pre-album thread has lain dormant for 9 days, so even DTF has run out of stuff to speculate about the album. Or was it a Christmas ceasefire?
This forum is like a bee hive. It gets stirred up for a while and gets swarmed with posts, and then gets all calm and dormant when the novelty of a subject wears off. I guess there's only so much to talk about.
This is just the calm before the storm. As soon as February 22 arrives,  watchout!! 🐝🐝 :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline dream75

« Reply #1708 on: January 03, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
There is a review in the new Decibel Magazine, but I'm not too fond of the review style. Everything has to be a simile, and the choices made describing certain tracks were just weird. Like - there's a Metallica-style track. So what simile is used? Enter Sandman. It's as though thats the only Metallica song the reviewer knows.

Strange (Deja) review  :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1709 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »

I'd love to see some more reviews and interviews to be honest. Just to get an idea about the songs, structures, if there's anything new or if it's a "safe" DT album. I'd love to see interviews with Mike, how he approached songwriting, recording, why he put his cymbals so high, all the nerdy stuff  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1710 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
That's a hilariously bad review  :lol. My goodness you weren't kidding with the guy vomiting out obscure references as similes every 3rd phrase.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1711 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
This forum is like a bee hive. It gets stirred up for a while and gets swarmed with posts, and then gets all calm and dormant when the novelty of a subject wears off. I guess there's only so much to talk about.
This is just the calm before the storm. As soon as February 22 arrives,  watchout!! 🐝🐝 :omg:

I guess we're in the eye of the storm. And yep, I am bracing myself to defiantly swim against the tide as people once more flabbergast me with their criticisms.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: January 03, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »

When we will hear another single?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1713 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »

Despite the less-than-typical song lengths, do the new songs still have the signature sounds that DT is known for, past and present? Do the longer songs of the album still evoke an epic feel, even if they're under 10 minutes long? And do any of the songs sound like instant DT classics?

I guess we're in the eye of the storm. And yep, I am bracing myself to defiantly swim against the tide as people once more flabbergast me with their criticisms.

That's a good analogy. I guess we are in a bit of a calm here, but you're right - in the coming 6-8 weeks, we will probably see another gradual rise in activity in this forum. Heck, I haven't visited the DT side of these forums in YEARS, but when news of DOT started hitting, I came back to check it all out, and it's been fun revisiting these discussions and topics!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1714 on: January 03, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
Do James’ vocals on the rest of the album have the same reverb effect like in UA? Or is it just that one song?