Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254773 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #770 on: November 15, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
Good old Hugh.  :lol

Not sure what that means or why it is somehow a knock on Syme.  Using stock images is kind of a standard thing these days (hence why an organization as large and reputable as the NYT did and does).

Yup, I actually use stock images weekly for my job. It wasn't really a knock, it was just more me remembering how Hugh puts his artwork together, that's all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
but that's the entire album cover, two stock images.  I actually kind of like the cover, but it makes me wonder what they pay him to make these because I've seen more creative artists here who would be able to make their own robot hand and skull, than pull from stock.  Also NYT isn't a form of art really and needs to get images on a daily basis, where as an album cover is a work of art and knowing the image was created from two stock images just comes off as lazy IMO when you consider the amount of time and planning that should go into this art.  Having said that, I'll repeat, I actually do like the album art.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: November 15, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »
Good old Hugh.  :lol

Not sure what that means or why it is somehow a knock on Syme.  Using stock images is kind of a standard thing these days (hence why an organization as large and reputable as the NYT did and does).

It's not about using stock images (although, as pointed out by cramx3, i'd like to know if this guy has been paid just to put together stuff or to came up with an actual idea), it's the fact that there're two concepts with the same exact idea out there (and the same elements). And i'd like to know about the timing of this, as it was not NYT who produced the cover but it was a contest won by this Delcan & Company, which is not by any extent linked with Syme.

The result of this is that next NYT magazine cover issue will be the same exact artwork dt has presented 10 days ago for their new album. Something that at least will result in bad marketing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #773 on: November 15, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
but that's the entire album cover, two stock images.  I actually kind of like the cover, but it makes me wonder what they pay him to make these because I've seen more creative artists here who would be able to make their own robot hand and skull, than pull from stock.  Also NYT isn't a form of art really and needs to get images on a daily basis, where as an album cover is a work of art and knowing the image was created from two stock images just comes off as lazy IMO when you consider the amount of time and planning that should go into this art.  Having said that, I'll repeat, I actually do like the album art.
Exactly. To further what cramx3 said, an album cover is to be something unique and identifiable - something that's going to last for a long time. Something that appears on the cover of a newspaper or website is (usually) hardly memorable, nor is it likely to be something that's going to last, be used and/or referred to years from now. Album artwork OTOH will. And the thing is, Hugh has the ability to come up with unique things - I highly doubt that everything he's done for Rush has all been from a stock image library, although an occasional element might be. But for the whole image (save for maybe the background....then again, who's to say that's not stock photography?) to be based on some stock images is just the fast/cheap/lazy way out. Unless he gave DT price options (it will cost $____ for artwork using stock photography and it will cost $____ more if you want all the images to be all original) and they cheaped out.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #774 on: November 15, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
Stock images are a lazy way out imo, and I still can't stand the album cover!  I am very excited about hearing the album and I know the music will make me forget about the cover. DT never disappoints in that dept..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #775 on: November 15, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
Exactly. To further what cramx3 said, an album cover is to be something unique and identifiable - something that's going to last for a long time. Something that appears on the cover of a newspaper or website is (usually) hardly memorable, nor is it likely to be something that's going to last, be used and/or referred to years from now. Album artwork OTOH will. And the thing is, Hugh has the ability to come up with unique things - I highly doubt that everything he's done for Rush has all been from a stock image library, although an occasional element might be. But for the whole image (save for maybe the background....then again, who's to say that's not stock photography?) to be based on some stock images is just the fast/cheap/lazy way out. Unless he gave DT price options (it will cost $____ for artwork using stock photography and it will cost $____ more if you want all the images to be all original) and they cheaped out.

Maybe adding the "137" was his idea :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »

idk, but i like to think that's coming from Mangini, being him a lot into maths.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #777 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
...it's the fact that there're two concepts with the same exact idea out there (and the same elements).

Okay, but (and try not to take offense at this, because it isn't a shot at you personally), so what?  Why is that a problem?

And i'd like to know about the timing of this...

From everything I know, DT had it first.  Even though we only first saw it 10 days or so ago, it had been in the pipeline before that.  It's not like they got the artwork from Syme, and put it out there 5 minutes later.

Something that at least will result in bad marketing.

How so?  Doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.  :dunno:

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #778 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »

It was.

idk, but i like to think that's coming from Mangini, being him a lot into maths.

Hmm... 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: November 15, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
That's not a reasonable comparison.

If spending 5 minutes finding a couple stock images and throwing together an album cover is standard these days, well then I guess that's what it is. But if true, I don't see why a band can't pay some 18 year old $20 to do the same thing and get the same results.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #780 on: November 15, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
...it's the fact that there're two concepts with the same exact idea out there (and the same elements).

There aren't TWO concepts with the same idea, there are hundreds of them.. Just search in the web.. Now, about them being the same elements -which they're not, the skull is clearly different-, it's definitely weird and curious, but neither do I find that to be "a lazy way out" (we need to know more to think something like that; I personally don't think that's the case, although it could be) or "bad marketing" (it's not that DT fans would not buy the album only because the same cover's image was used somewhere else... or would they?)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #781 on: November 15, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
I am curious to know whether anyone's opinion of the situation would be different if it were to turn out that Jamie Chung and/or Pablo Delcan are DT fans.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #782 on: November 15, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Reading the interview, it seems that JMX got his years old wish at last.

During the WDADRU commentary,he talked about living together for a change and writing music just the way they used to in the 80s. However, MP cited their family and other constraints as the reason why they just can't do something like that.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline pg1067

« Reply #783 on: November 15, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
There's a concept in copyright law called "striking similarity," and it essentially means that two things are so close to each other than they cannot reasonably be the product of anything other than copying.  Given that DT made this art public on November 2, it seems awfully coincidental that the NYT is using almost the same image for something that's being released on November 18.  If I were DT's management, I'd have the lawyers on the horn pretty quickly.

I am curious to know whether anyone's opinion of the situation would be different if it were to turn out that Jamie Chung and/or Pablo Delcan are DT fans.

That would buttress a claim that they copied what DT did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #784 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
As long as Syme doesn't screw up by leaving watermarks and stuff like that again, I guess it'll be fine.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #785 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »

During the WDADRU commentary,he talked about living together for a change and writing music just the way they used to in the 80s. However, MP cited their family and other constraints as the reason why they just can't do something like that.

Good call, I forgot about that.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #786 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Neither DT or the NYT were really original with that concept.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:08:35 PM by Chino »

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: November 15, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
There's a concept in copyright law called "striking similarity," and it essentially means that two things are so close to each other than they cannot reasonably be the product of anything other than copying.  Given that DT made this art public on November 2, it seems awfully coincidental that the NYT is using almost the same image for something that's being released on November 18.  If I were DT's management, I'd have the lawyers on the horn pretty quickly.

That would buttress a claim that they copied what DT did.

This.
And to answer to Bosk, first I'm not used to take anything personal on the net anymore :) , second what i said is that i don't know who has produced the art first (although is clear that Dt artwork was produced way before its release, we don't know, as i said, details about NYT magazine contest). About bad marketing: okay, maybe the majority will not care that much, but i don't think i'm alone in thinking DT deserves, and look for, originals ideas when it comes to their works. Just the thought that the artwork could be a mere copy/past adjust is poor by itself.

@ToT-147: it's not me who's supposed to look at the web to figure if my ideas are somehow original or not (at least not in this case!). An artist like Syme, or the guys who made the cover for NYT, are. And because of what pg1067 said, it's a problem if are not to this extent. I sincerely liked the cover, still do, and didn't know it was that common of a concept - except the original reference, of course.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #788 on: November 15, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Basically, I care NOT what's on the cover, but what's on the disc! :metal

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #789 on: November 15, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
I don't think striking similarity would apply much at all here. As Chino has just shown us, this specific image concept has been done. A lot. The whole concept of a hand holding a skull and the associated symbolism was popularized by Hamlet (which is in the public domain) and switching the human being holding holding the skull for a robot is not exactly reinventing the wheel. It works well, but it's not original and most people would not be able to find who actually invented it.

Suing based on this would be like Marvin Gaye's estate and label claiming he owns a common 4-bar chord progression that was used previously in a Bach piece (among other places) and suing people for using something vaguely similar to that progression. Oh wait.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #790 on: November 15, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »

One confirmed.. Don't know about the other...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #791 on: November 15, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
:lol  Wrong Jamie Chung.  But nice effort.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #792 on: November 15, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »
Yes, I know :lol.. Thanks!..

@ToT-147: it's not me who's supposed to look at the web to figure if my ideas are somehow original or not (at least not in this case!). An artist like Syme, or the guys who made the cover for NYT, are. And because of what pg1067 said, it's a problem if are not to this extent. I sincerely liked the cover, still do, and didn't know it was that common of a concept - except the original reference, of course.

Yeah, I like it too.. And I wasn't saying you should be aware that the cover it's so common, but neither are they, or at least it shouldn't matter to them.. I'd like to think the band wanted it just like that, and in that case, even if they knew the cover was all over the web, there's no reason they couldn't use it..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:55:14 PM by ToT-147 »

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #793 on: November 15, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
I just hope it won't be another DT12. Full of short songs with no actual meat in them (meat - great middle instrumental section which evolves to the climax of the song, like octavarium, itpoe, tmols, itnog, bits, ...)

These are the songs that I really end up loving and looking forward to hear again. I want typical DT form (which can be explained as a great middle section and the part surrounding it), not some mediocre middle sections with some keyboard/guitar solo here and there.
Songs on the last two albums were good, but only when I'm in that kind of mood to chill a bit and hear them - not a single song that can be considered a ''masterpiece'' (apart from maybe illumination theory, but that song is also a big IF as well).

To be clear, I don't want every song like that. I'd be happy if there's only a few. But keep in mind that we haven't had this kind of songs since ADTOE.
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #794 on: November 15, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
Neither DT or the NYT were really original with that concept.

Same hand!

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #795 on: November 15, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »

No, keep the lawyers out of it. This would give them a chance to fix this trainwreck of an album cover before Feb 22..  😈
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

« Reply #796 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
The hand is a promoter's and the skull represents the dead South American tours

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #797 on: November 15, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »

No, keep the lawyers out of it. This would give them a chance to fix this trainwreck of an album cover before Feb 22..  😈

What's so bad about it that it warrants being called a trainwreck? Looks cool to me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #798 on: November 15, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
Yea, if any cover is a train wreck, it's the ToT cover.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #799 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »

It was the right time to do it, as their kids are now older. I'm sure we'll get some awesome Bass licks this time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #800 on: November 15, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
Rudy Sarzo did not join DT.  There will be no licking of basses. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #801 on: November 15, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »

What's so bad about it that it warrants being called a trainwreck? Looks cool to me.
It just seems so generic to me, lacks imagination.  I'm part of the problem because I hate the sight of skulls.  I just think Dream Theater has too much class to have a skull and a lame robot hand as the centerpiece of their album cover. I know I'm probably missing the point, but I still don't like it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:56:22 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #802 on: November 15, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
Yea, if any cover is a train wreck, it's the ToT cover.

Too bad they only got Dave McKean to do one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #803 on: November 15, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »

It just seems so generic to me, lacks imagination.  I'm part of the problem because I hate the sight of skulls.  I just think Dream Theater has too much class to have a skull and a lame robot hand as the centerpiece of their album cover. I know I'm missing the point, but I still don't like it..

As you acknowledge, that is entirely YOUR problem--not the band's.  So watch your terminology.  Your own personality quirks do not make the band's output a "train wreck." 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #804 on: November 15, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »

It just seems so generic to me, lacks imagination.  I'm part of the problem because I hate the sight of skulls.  I just think Dream Theater has too much class to have a skull and a lame robot hand as the centerpiece of their album cover. I know I'm missing the point, but I still don't like it..

As you acknowledge, that is entirely YOUR problem--not the band's.  So watch your terminology.  Your own personality quirks do not make the band's output a "train wreck."
Excellent point!