Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252207 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #525 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
(I know it's all just opinion, but it would be nice if they included a track or 2 from BCaSL in the setlist since it has been underrepresented since the BCaSL tour)

The Count of Tuscany!!!!

(A Nightmare to Remember also would be acceptable.)

I've only seen A Rite of Passage (when they opened for Iron Maiden) and The Shattered Fortress (which was a great surprise on Along for the Ride).

Wither is one of their way-too-frequent dark plodding (IMO) songs, and The Best of Times is pretty much a Portnoy thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really under consideration.

Wither would be cool, but it's hard to imagine anything else getting played.

The Count and A Nightmare are both too long (if they are going to dedicate that much time to a single older song, I doubt either is high on their list of ones they would consider), I doubt Shattered Fortress will get played again any time soon, The Best of Times is likely off limits for obvious reasons, and A Rite of Passage is one of their blah "single"-type songs of the latter 00's (along with Forsaken and Constant Motion).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
Take Fates Warning -- they've played Parallels reunion shows, and then came back with a killer record in Theories of Flight that is completely bad ass and contemporary. No one would accuse Fates of being a nostalgia act. Just like no one should be calling Dream Theater a nostalgia act for giving fans a treat like SFAM. They are doing it for the fans as a bonus as a PART OF the support tour for their new record.

And in between the Parallels reunion shows and ToF, we got Darkness in a Different Light, which I think is a far superior album to ToF.

That being said, I agree that a band like DT, which releases new material with the frequency that they do, is definitely NOT a nostalgia act.  When I think of "nostalgia acts," I think of bands like Styx, who was one of my very first "favorite" bands when I started getting into rock music.  Only three albums in the 21st Century, one of which is an album of cover material.  And, prior to the release of The Mission, when was the last time they played anything released after 1983 (and not called "One with Everything")?

As for the rest of the stuff over the last couple of pages since I last logged in yesterday, I suffered through so many crappy opening bands back in the 80s and 90s that I would be perfectly happy never to see another opening band for anyone (outside of joint headlining things or the upcoming Queensryche/Fates Warning tour).  One of the more disappointing shows in recent memory was the 2008 Progressive Nation show with Opeth, Between the Buried and Me and 3 opening, which resulted in DT having an incredibly short set list (Prog Nation 2009 was also way too short, but the set list was better, including TCOT, and the jams with Dweezil Zappa and Steve Vai and the Zappa Plays Zappa set were really cool).  So put me squarely in the "no more opening acts" camp.

I'm also in the "fan since 92 but didn't know the YJ mailing list existed" camp.  However, at some point after the summer of 1993, I acquired a cassette of the 3/4/93 Limelight show (the one eventually "officially" released by YJ Records).  This was done through some sort of tape trading board on Prodigy (how's that for old school?!), so I may have had some contact with the mailing list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
instead of just playing 2 songs from the new album and then doing the same old setlist over and over again (Megadeth, I’m looking at you).

In general I agree with you (ugh... how many times do we need to hear Truss and A Tout le Poote?), but when I saw them on the Dystopia tour (after Adler had left and Dirk came onboard), they played 5 songs from that album, which was a very welcome and pleasant surprise, even if the rest of the set was the same old same old (with an appearance by Skin o' My Teeth, which I hadn't heard live from them in quite some time).

The most varied set I ever saw from them was the 1st time I saw them: Gigantour '05, the comback with The System Has Failed.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #528 on: November 08, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »

And in between the Parallels reunion shows and ToF, we got Darkness in a Different Light, which I think is a far superior album to ToF.

That being said, I agree that a band like DT, which releases new material with the frequency that they do, is definitely NOT a nostalgia act.  When I think of "nostalgia acts," I think of bands like Styx, who was one of my very first "favorite" bands when I started getting into rock music.  Only three albums in the 21st Century, one of which is an album of cover material.  And, prior to the release of The Mission, when was the last time they played anything released after 1983 (and not called "One with Everything")?

P -- I think it is more then just MAKING new music. You have to support it. DT supports its new material, just like Fates does. They go out, and come hell or high water, play a LOT of it. And that's the way it should be. Queensryche, unfortunately, does not play a lot of its latest material. They have become a nostalgia act because of that. Same category as say...a Def Leppard. Makes new music, but barely plays it in favor of the old standards.

p.s. as for Darkness vs. Theories - I think Darkness had a couple of missteps, so I go with Theories. That said, however, One Thousand Fires is just amazing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
I don't really think DT are a nostalgia act, I mean, they released TA and played the whole album.  That's not very much like a nostalgia act to me.  Now, maybe there's truth to the I&W tour being about reuniting the fan base after half the people didn't like TA and it's tour, but I wouldn't call that selling out or anything of that nature.  I just see it as giving the fans what they want after a lot of fans felt like they saw something they didn't want.  Now even with SFAM potentially being played in full, they are still touring off the new album and still will play a lot of it.  I just don't really see how that's a nostalgia act.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #530 on: November 08, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
P -- I think it is more then just MAKING new music. You have to support it. DT supports its new material, just like Fates does. They go out, and come hell or high water, play a LOT of it. And that's the way it should be. Queensryche, unfortunately, does not play a lot of its latest material. They have become a nostalgia act because of that. Same category as say...a Def Leppard. Makes new music, but barely plays it in favor of the old standards.

p.s. as for Darkness vs. Theories - I think Darkness had a couple of missteps, so I go with Theories. That said, however, One Thousand Fires is just amazing.

Concur, and we can debate DiaDL versus ToF over a couple beers if I make it up to NoCal for the QR/FW shows in March.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #531 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
I was going to ask you that, Scotty. When did the mailing lists ceased to exist? I can see that, in March 2004, there were less than 30 digests. Does that mean that, by that time, most people had started using message boards and early social media? (MySpace and stuff.)
I think by 2001, 2002 a good portion of the fans migrated to the message boards from the mailing list (social media probably at least few years later). I know Skadz still has 'jams going up to 2005 or 2006, but they're pretty slim pickins for content. Can't remember how long I stayed subscribed the last time I was, but I remember eventually it seemed pointless to continue receiving them, getting one once a week or so with little worthwhile in them.

I think the I&W tour paved the way for SFAM. In combination with the mixed reactions to TA and the tour, seems like DT are trying to reassure the promoters that they can still gather big audiences and are worth the investment.

Personally, i don't want DT to become a nostalgia act, and even though i would love to see SFAM performed in its entirety, it doesn't show great confidence in the new album to have this announced together with DOT.
I do think that there is probably some truth to this. And if that's what they need to get back into the promoters good graces, so be it. As was already mentioned - a second set of DT (even if just an album front to back) is better than sitting through an opening act I have little to no interest in. But I would be worried that this will become a crutch that the band would start to have to rely on, just to get good guarantees from promoters. I'd hate to see it evolve into that kind of situation.

Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.
That can't be at all true, can it?  Anecdotally, everyone I know who's into DT picked them up either with I&W or Awake.  And by the time SFaM came out, it's wasn't a breakthrough (that would be I&W/Awake) as much as it was a solidification.  They were firmly entrenched by the time Jordan joined the band.
Not sure Awake qualifies as a breakthrough.

But hang around here a bit, and you'll see that most of this place got into DT after Scenes.
Yeah, but does this forum represent the DT fanbase as a whole? I'd say no. If you were to go to some of the other places, such as the FB groups, you'll see that there's plenty of old school fans still around. Is what Noxon saying the truth? Possibly - but "majority" can be 51%. So my point is, while more than half the fanbase may have come into the picture since 2000, that doesn't mean that a siginificant portion of the fanbase hasn't been around since before that time.

If you’re going to play SFAM on tour, you wouldn’t hide it though would you, it would have to be mentioned in the tour announcement if you’re looking to maximise ticket sales. Don’t think it reflects their confidence or lack of confidence in the new album at all.  Just makes absolute commercial sense to tell people it’s going to be a special show so don’t miss it.
Of course it's being mentioned to maximize ticket sales - I think that's a given! It doesn't reflect them having a lack of confidence in their new album, but it might reflect a lack of confidence from the promoters, which is an important piece of the puzzle.

complaining that they are becoming a nostalgia band by performing SFAM is laughable.
I don't think anybody would be making it an issue if it wasn't for the fact that they just did the anniversary tour for IaW last year. And 3 years before that celebrated the 20th anniversary of Awake by performing the second half of that album, never mind the encore of SFaM track (celebrating it's 15th anniversary).

Does "it won't be a rehash of the 2000 tour" mean that we won't get Scenes in full? I'm still trying to find out what this will entail exactly. We had a good chunk of the second half of SFAM represented on Along for the Ride, so does this mean we'll get the first part ONLY this time? Or a "reimagination" of Scenes with the current lineup and changes in the arrangement of certain songs? The last time Scenes was played in full was actually in the Octavarium tour in Sao Paulo, and they played it note for note then.
When you say “a good chunk”, they only played 2 songs from the second half of the album and one of them was an instrumental.
While that is true, they played 4 songs from SFaM for the encore, which is 1/3 of the album, which is still noteworthy enough.

The Count and A Nightmare are both too long
But what's wrong with including one of them? So they take up enough space for 2/3 other songs - that doesn't mean they're not worthy of consideration, especially given that TCoT is a fan favorite from that album, and ANtR is one they auditioned MM with. Besides, I think it would be cool to hear a rendition of ANtR with MM on drums, and see what they'd do with the "angry vocal" section of the song (perhaps have JL do it - I think he could do it justice in his Awake-style voice).

A Rite of Passage is one of their blah "single"-type songs of the latter 00's (along with Forsaken and Constant Motion).
You might not like any of those songs, but both CM and Forsaken have already been performed live - why not ARoP, which is a fairly catchy song? And Wither would be a great choice since it was only sporadically played in the North and South America, and never played in Asia.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
I think the I&W tour paved the way for SFAM. In combination with the mixed reactions to TA and the tour, seems like DT are trying to reassure the promoters that they can still gather big audiences and are worth the investment.

Personally, i don't want DT to become a nostalgia act, and even though i would love to see SFAM performed in its entirety, it doesn't show great confidence in the new album to have this announced together with DOT.
I do think that there is probably some truth to this. And if that's what they need to get back into the promoters good graces, so be it. As was already mentioned - a second set of DT (even if just an album front to back) is better than sitting through an opening act I have little to no interest in. But I would be worried that this will become a crutch that the band would start to have to rely on, just to get good guarantees from promoters. I'd hate to see it evolve into that kind of situation.

That is my ultimate fear and the root of my concern with this.

Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.
That can't be at all true, can it?  Anecdotally, everyone I know who's into DT picked them up either with I&W or Awake.  And by the time SFaM came out, it's wasn't a breakthrough (that would be I&W/Awake) as much as it was a solidification.  They were firmly entrenched by the time Jordan joined the band.
Not sure Awake qualifies as a breakthrough.

But hang around here a bit, and you'll see that most of this place got into DT after Scenes.
Yeah, but does this forum represent the DT fanbase as a whole? I'd say no. If you were to go to some of the other places, such as the FB groups, you'll see that there's plenty of old school fans still around. Is what Noxon saying the truth? Possibly - but "majority" can be 51%. So my point is, while more than half the fanbase may have come into the picture since 2000, that doesn't mean that a siginificant portion of the fanbase hasn't been around since before that time.

Sure, but I was talking about DTF. I'm sure there's tons of old school DT fans out there and honestly I have zero idea what the Pre/Post SFAM fan ratio is.

I have no idea what this FB group thingy is that you speak of is. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #534 on: November 08, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
Don't forget YouTube compresses audio drastically, so the actual sound of the record may be slightly different.
fixed

Agreed. It won't be super different, but it definitely should be taken into account that YouTube compresses audio.

Yes, it will be slightly different. I'd wish that the youtube would be the culprit here, but it won't be. It hasn't been the case on the teasers or singles for previous albums either. The Facebook Q&A where JP said that they were going for more organic sound got me slightly optimistic about the sound, but they've followed the loudness war trend for so long that I was not getting too optimistic. Would it be so hard for the band/label also to offer a version of the album with dynamics intact?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #535 on: November 08, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »

Concur, and we can debate DiaDL versus ToF over a couple beers if I make it up to NoCal for the QR/FW shows in March.

First round on me bud. Hoping it happens.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #536 on: November 08, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
A sharp, cracking snare. Low, thudding bass drums (not typewriter keys). It shouldn't be that difficult. I listened to a bunch of metal records this past week that had exactly those drum sounds. Really hoping DoT delivers in that department.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #537 on: November 08, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
A Rite of Passage is one of their blah "single"-type songs of the latter 00's (along with Forsaken and Constant Motion).
You might not like any of those songs, but both CM and Forsaken have already been performed live - why not ARoP, which is a fairly catchy song? And Wither would be a great choice since it was only sporadically played in the North and South America, and never played in Asia.

Wither live at Summer Sonic (Tokyo) 2010  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnOiImiNUQ

It was also played live during their short 30th anniversary tour in Europe, btw.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #538 on: November 08, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
I think by 2001, 2002 a good portion of the fans migrated to the message boards from the mailing list (social media probably at least few years later). I know Skadz still has 'jams going up to 2005 or 2006, but they're pretty slim pickins for content. Can't remember how long I stayed subscribed the last time I was, but I remember eventually it seemed pointless to continue receiving them, getting one once a week or so with little worthwhile in them.
OK, thanks. Did Ryan become a member of the forums?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #539 on: November 08, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
I would MUCH RATHER see WDADU played in full than SFAM which I've seen played many times before, but that's just me.

I love WDADU but you’d be in a tiny minority in favouring it over SFAM. When did you see SFAM played many times before. They haven’t played it for nearly 20 years as far as I am aware.

Saw it in full 4 times in 2000 and I've seen most of the songs played many times since then (Through Her Eyes excluded unfortunately as I LOVE that song).

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #540 on: November 08, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I think being on the cusp on a new album, fans such as myself are excited for the  premiere of new material (and underplayed material).  Of course, the easy solution is to feature SFAM on a later 2019 leg.  Best of both worlds IMO.

[/quote]

I agree with this. :tup

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #541 on: November 08, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
Personally, I would be satisfied if the guys included a couple of WDADU tracks into the setlist this time around, and not the usual suspects (A Fortune in Lies, Ytsejam or Afterlife) - besides The Killing Hand, it would be nice to see them resurrect Only a Matter of Time, or if they were really bold Light Fuse and Get Away.

I'd be VERY happy with the above. After seeing DT over 40 times since 1995, I'm MUCH more interested in seeing songs played live that are not the same ol' same ol'. Gimme WDADU songs, DOT songs and some other rarely played numbers.

Offline PMA

« Reply #542 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Got tickets for the SF show at the Masonic.  Never been to that venue for a concert.  Got box seats.  Anyone have comments on live music there?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #543 on: November 08, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
I would MUCH RATHER see WDADU played in full than SFAM which I've seen played many times before, but that's just me.

I love WDADU but you’d be in a tiny minority in favouring it over SFAM. When did you see SFAM played many times before. They haven’t played it for nearly 20 years as far as I am aware.

Saw it in full 4 times in 2000 and I've seen most of the songs played many times since then (Through Her Eyes excluded unfortunately as I LOVE that song).

Wow that’s cool you saw it 4 times, I was also there in 2000 but it’s still nearly 20 years since we saw it. It’s not like they’re constantly pulling it out. I also don’t feel like they’ve really played the individual songs a lot apart from TSCO obviously and TDOE has been played on at least a couple of tours. When they pulled out Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu in the DT12 tour they felt totally fresh to me like I hadn’t heard much off SFAM for many years.

Changing tack a little, I noticed people comparing DT favourably with the likes of Megadeth who play a similar set of songs time after time. Although not always fashionable on here these days, that is something we should praise Mike Portnoy for. It would’ve been very easy for DT to fall into that thing of having staple classic songs that they have to play every night. If you go to see Megadeth, you know you’re getting Holy War, Symphony Of Destruction, Peace Sells etc, there’d be a riot if you didn’t. This goes for most bands, if you see Bon Jovi, you’re getting Livin On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive, You Give Love A Bad Name, Bad Medicine etc. and, again, that is what fans expect. It would have been very easy for DT to fall into that thing where they had to play Metropolis, Pull Me Under, The Spirit Carries On, The Mirror etc in every show as fan favourites but Mike decided very early on that they would not do that. That fans cannot turn up to every show demanding to hear Metropolis and we became educated to accept whatever great set DT put on. It’s served them well over the years and means we’re always excited to hear whatever they decide to play.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #544 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
Changing tack a little, I noticed people comparing DT favourably with the likes of Megadeth who play a similar set of songs time after time. Although not always fashionable on here these days, that is something we should praise Mike Portnoy for. It would’ve been very easy for DT to fall into that thing of having staple classic songs that they have to play every night. If you go to see Megadeth, you know you’re getting Holy War, Symphony Of Destruction, Peace Sells etc, there’d be a riot if you didn’t. This goes for most bands, if you see Bon Jovi, you’re getting Livin On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive, You Give Love A Bad Name, Bad Medicine etc. and, again, that is what fans expect. It would have been very easy for DT to fall into that thing where they had to play Metropolis, Pull Me Under, The Spirit Carries On, The Mirror etc in every show as fan favourites but Mike decided very early on that they would not do that. That fans cannot turn up to every show demanding to hear Metropolis and we became educated to accept whatever great set DT put on. It’s served them well over the years and means we’re always excited to hear whatever they decide to play.

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #545 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »

Amen, brother.

Also, I feel like outside of the super hardcore fans, most people going to see a band like Bon Jovi only know the hits. If they played more than one song back to back that wasn't on the radio, the audience would be bored stiff. DT doesn't have to worry about that problem.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: November 08, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

Amen, brother.

Also, I feel like outside of the super hardcore fans, most people going to see a band like Bon Jovi only know the hits. If they played more than one song back to back that wasn't on the radio, the audience would be bored stiff. DT doesn't have to worry about that problem.

I can tell you the old ladies at Bon Jovi concerts are not bored stiff when he plays other songs  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #547 on: November 08, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
Sure, but I was talking about DTF. I'm sure there's tons of old school DT fans out there and honestly I have zero idea what the Pre/Post SFAM fan ratio is.
Right. But you understand why I bring it up, don't you? Just because the vast majority of the people on this forum became fans later doesn't mean that the same percentage of DT fans across the world also became fans later.   ;)

I have no idea what this FB group thingy is that you speak of is. ;D
You technophobe! (I won't say old fogey, because I think I'm only a little younger than you)  :P

Wither live at Summer Sonic (Tokyo) 2010  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnOiImiNUQ

It was also played live during their short 30th anniversary tour in Europe, btw.
Good call on that Tokyo show - forgot about that. It was also played the day before in Japan too. So I guess I should have said "only sporadically played in North and South America and Japan."

As for Europe, I know about that - in fact it was played several times throughout their PN09 tour of Europe too, which is why I didn't make any mention of that region at all.  ;)

OK, thanks. Did Ryan become a member of the forums?
Not that I'm aware of.

I also don’t feel like they’ve really played the individual songs a lot apart from TSCO obviously and TDOE has been played on at least a couple of tours. When they pulled out Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu in the DT12 tour they felt totally fresh to me like I hadn’t heard much off SFAM for many years.
I can see what you're saying, although a variety of SFaM tracks were usually included on any given tour. It was only from 2010-2012 (as well as 2016-2017) where the number of songs from that album dropped off significantly.

Changing tack a little, I noticed people comparing DT favourably with the likes of Megadeth who play a similar set of songs time after time. Although not always fashionable on here these days, that is something we should praise Mike Portnoy for. <snip> It would have been very easy for DT to fall into that thing where they had to play Metropolis, Pull Me Under, The Spirit Carries On, The Mirror etc in every show as fan favourites but Mike decided very early on that they would not do that. That fans cannot turn up to every show demanding to hear Metropolis and we became educated to accept whatever great set DT put on. It’s served them well over the years and means we’re always excited to hear whatever they decide to play.
Amen! And I'm glad that the band has largely continued down that road since MP left (tho I think TSCO and BAI could be given a long rest). But had MP not implemented that early on, I fear that they would've been just another band playing all the perennial favorites, slotting in a few older tracks and introducing several songs from the latest album. Glad that didn't happen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #548 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
I noticed that today's presale includes tickets that were not available in yesterday's presale, so if you want front row in Los Angeles - snag 'em, but they ain't cheap.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #549 on: November 08, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
I would love to see Scenes in it's entirety.  My first exposure to DT was seeing the Metropolis DVD.  I was blown away.  Always wished I could have seen it live.  Would feel a little weird not seeing MP there though. 

DT is not a nostalgia band yet.  I agree with the rest of you citing The Astonishing Tour as a VERY strong counter argument. (which I really enjoyed BTW)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #550 on: November 08, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »

Wow that’s cool you saw it 4 times, I was also there in 2000 but it’s still nearly 20 years since we saw it. It’s not like they’re constantly pulling it out. I also don’t feel like they’ve really played the individual songs a lot apart from TSCO obviously and TDOE has been played on at least a couple of tours. When they pulled out Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu in the DT12 tour they felt totally fresh to me like I hadn’t heard much off SFAM for many years.

Credit where credit is due.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #551 on: November 08, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »

The Count and A Nightmare are both too long
But what's wrong with including one of them? So they take up enough space for 2/3 other songs - that doesn't mean they're not worthy of consideration, especially given that TCoT is a fan favorite from that album, and ANtR is one they auditioned MM with. Besides, I think it would be cool to hear a rendition of ANtR with MM on drums, and see what they'd do with the "angry vocal" section of the song (perhaps have JL do it - I think he could do it justice in his Awake-style voice).

Just about every DT song is worthy of consideration, but I said The Count and Nightmare are too long in the context of my own thinking that the band isn't likely to highly consider them since they have other really long older songs of somewhat similar length that I feel they'd be far more likely to play (Octavarium, In the Name of God, etc.). 

I could see The Count sneaking into a set list again at some point, but I'd be surprised if Nightmare ever gets played again. If JP liked medleys, it'd be easy to work parts of both or either into one, but we know how much he dislikes them, so I wouldn't count on that any time soon.  And I think DT has reached a point where they don't feel the need to play something from an album just so they can check the box and say, "Okay, we are playing something from x-record."  And, as a fan, I'd rather see a great, well-rounded set list than one where they feel the need to shoehorn in something from (nearly) every album.  Heck, the Along for the Ride tour set list was incredible, yet ignored seven of their 12 studio albums (at the time).

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #552 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:10 PM »
I think I’m the only one here who could care less about hearing WDADU material. It’s by far my least favorite album for a reason...the material just doesn’t resonate with me that much, so it’s kind of a waste of space in the setlist for me. I respect it of course, but definitely don’t listen to it that much.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: November 08, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
So yes, DT has become a slight "nostalgia act". But it makes complete commercial sense to do it like this.

I don't think DT is anywhere near "nostalgia" territory. Nostalgia territory is when a guy like Tom Petty (rest his soul) releases a new album and only plays 2 songs off it during a two hour set.

Yea but Tom Petty had so, so many hits. I'm a huge Tom Petty fan and I would've been a little disappointed if he played say half of his new album.

Offline GandL

« Reply #554 on: November 08, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
Following them since the beginning, saw their I&W show in a really small scene in Montreal in 92 if I remember, and then many others, but never got the chance to see SFAM, so I'm pumped for this and especially their new offering. I just got 2 tickets for their show in Montreal a few minutes ago, and this time it won't be a big venue but in a small place with 2990 places, I know this place and the sound will be awsome  :hat

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:37 AM »
DT tweeted this yesterday.  I wonder if they will be playing both albums in full? 

DT: Just to clarify, ALL announced dates on our 2019 USA 🇺🇸 and Canada 🇨🇦 tour will feature songs from both our new album ‘Distance Over Time’ and ‘Metropolis Pt. 2 Scenes From A Memory’. We can’t wait to get back on the road!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2018, 03:26:45 AM »
I like the snippet! Looking forward to hearing it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2018, 03:38:34 AM »
DT tweeted this yesterday.  I wonder if they will be playing both albums in full? 

DT: Just to clarify, ALL announced dates on our 2019 USA 🇺🇸 and Canada 🇨🇦 tour will feature songs from both our new album ‘Distance Over Time’ and ‘Metropolis Pt. 2 Scenes From A Memory’. We can’t wait to get back on the road!

Of course I might be wrong, but I assume they just mentioned the most important things in a promotional sense ("Yes, the new album we're asking you to buy will be featured, and yes, the kickass SFAM you all love will be featured as per the announcement"), and they don't mean it literally that it's just gonna be DOT and SFAM and that's it.

If they don't play SFAM in full, I'd say it's about time to bring back the Metropolis pt.1 going directly into Overture 1928 combo.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #558 on: November 09, 2018, 04:48:12 AM »
Zero chance of me buying this show.  $100 is the CHEAPEST - 2nd balcony, last three rows - seat in Toronto.  Coupled with it being a 2 hour drive for me from where I'll be living in April.  Not to mention my severe disappointment the last time I went to a concert that went on sale before the album dropped.  Not going to go thru that again.  If seats become available the week of the show, I'll consider it (assuming the album is good).

Really not impressed with the band to do this to fans again - shell out this kind of money to listen to music we haven't even heard.  I'm not gonna get fooled again with that tactic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: November 09, 2018, 04:52:25 AM »
Zero chance of me buying this show.  $100 is the CHEAPEST - 2nd balcony, last three rows - seat in Toronto.  Coupled with it being a 2 hour drive for me from where I'll be living in April.  Not to mention my severe disappointment the last time I went to a concert that went on sale before the album dropped.  Not going to go thru that again.  If seats become available the week of the show, I'll consider it (assuming the album is good).

Really not impressed with the band to do this to fans again - shell out this kind of money to listen to music we haven't even heard.  I'm not gonna get fooled again with that tactic.

My buddy in Toronto is going to the show up there. It's insane what he paid to sit 10th row, I thought he paid for VIP at first. I'm sitting 9th row and paid $98 fees and everything.