Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252264 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind if they skipped some SFAM songs to make room for Octavarium, which I have to see live at least once. As long as they don't skip Beyond this Life, I will be fine.

Imagine the first set being mostly new material and a few other songs, the second set being all or most of Scenes, and the encore being Octavarium.  Heads would explode.  :lol :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
I would MUCH RATHER see WDADU played in full than SFAM which I've seen played many times before, but that's just me.

I love WDADU but you’d be in a tiny minority in favouring it over SFAM. When did you see SFAM played many times before. They haven’t played it for nearly 20 years as far as I am aware.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind if they skipped some SFAM songs to make room for Octavarium, which I have to see live at least once. As long as they don't skip Beyond this Life, I will be fine.

Imagine the first set being mostly new material and a few other songs, the second set being all or most of Scenes, and the encore being Octavarium.  Heads would explode.  :lol :lol

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is what is what happens.  Maybe all of scenes is played intertwined with the new songs and a few others with the encore being Octavarium.

Also, this:

Thanks for participating in this, guys.  The band thought our top picks were pretty cool.  I can't say whether any of our picks will factor in, but the tour concept is pretty exciting.

The top picks were:

1.      Octavarium
2.      The Glass Prison
3.      Surrender To Reason / Blind Faith (tie)
4.      In the Name of God
5.      The Killing Hand

It was the #1 picked song to see from fans here and Bosk confirmed the band saw the top picks.  Not confirmation of anything, but I have to feel something from these will make the set list.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
I have what may be a dumb question.

When I was at the Live Nation website yesterday, I clicked the "shop platinum tickets" link and bought my ticket that way.  I didn't see anything about meet and great and swag and assumed I was just buying the ticket, but does a "platinum ticket" include that other stuff?

P.S. I got an e-mail this morning from Ticketmaster with a presale code "DISTANCE".

The Ticketmaster platinum tickets are just very pricey tickets with no VIP access and no goodies.  Just a premium seat.  Ticketmaster did the same thing during the Astonishing tour too.  Not an offer tied directly to the band.  I was surprised to happen upon the primo tickets before the official presale - but sure enough I snatched up a couple.  The presale code sent out today was for any seat available in the venue, above and beyond the jacked up pricey premium tix.  Hope this helps.

I would MUCH RATHER see WDADU played in full than SFAM which I've seen played many times before, but that's just me.

And me.  By the way, The Killing Hand ranked VERY high on the recent DTF song request poll.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
I have what may be a dumb question.

When I was at the Live Nation website yesterday, I clicked the "shop platinum tickets" link and bought my ticket that way.  I didn't see anything about meet and great and swag and assumed I was just buying the ticket, but does a "platinum ticket" include that other stuff?

P.S. I got an e-mail this morning from Ticketmaster with a presale code "DISTANCE".

The Ticketmaster platinum tickets are just very pricey tickets with no VIP access and no goodies.  Just a premium seat.  Ticketmaster did the same thing during the Astonishing tour too.  Not an offer tied directly to the band.  I was surprised to happen upon the primo tickets before the official presale - but sure enough I snatched up a couple.  The presale code sent out today was for any seat available in the venue, above and beyond the jacked up pricey premium tix.  Hope this helps.

Thanks.  As mentioned, I assumed I was only buying a seat, so no problem with this.  It would have been cool to get the M&G and goodies.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
I also think the Queensrÿche comparison is hugely unfair as if DT are becoming some nostalgia act just doing a cash grab playing their old albums.

Pretty sure the I&W&B was not part of the original plan, so yeah...

Again, not trying to disparage DT in any way, because as a ONE OFF, on such an iconic album that an entire genre of music points to, fine.

But to come back on the very next tour for a NEW album, to play an album released 20 years ago just $mell$ funny. Dream Theater is my favorite band, but I don't know.

SFAM is a bonus set you get instead of sitting through some crappy support band.

Can't argue with that, bro.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as negative. I'm usually defending DT against negativity. But to me, the crux of it is that I'm not sure how many albums DT has left. Everytime I read a band is playing an album in full from their past, I usually eye roll it. That is for bands that are going backwards. I don't ever want to think of DT as going backwards. I, as a huge fan almost from the start, am not ready for that, and this kind of thing makes me very nervous.

The fact that they are playing the Scenes songs live is fantastic. I just hope they don't think that playing an old album in full is what they need to do. If they truly want to do it, fine, who am I to get in the way. But if I am being consistent, if I eye roll every other band for doing this, then I have to eye roll DT. I was willing to make the exception for I&W.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
I can't believe you guys fighting SFAM in it's entirety. I mean the whole production with the filmed dramatization and the immersive experience of going through the story with the music? it's uncomprehendable to me but to each their own I guess. But if DT changes their plans due to the feedback I'll be the saddest fuckin panda to ever walk the ice heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: November 07, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
SFAM is a bonus set you get instead of sitting through some crappy support band.

Well, yea if the support is crappy.  I can't be the only one who would love to see a relatively known prog metal band open for DT and allow DT to have rotating sets again.  I dream of Haken opening for DT with a DT encore jamming with Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #463 on: November 07, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
And also, the "celebration of where they came from" tour was the Octavarium tour.  No reason to do that again.
And yet they did do it again, albeit in a shorter format and only in Europe, in 2015.
Get outta here with your facts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #464 on: November 07, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
I will say again that I’m assuming this is an Evening With show. If it wasn’t and they came out playing one or two songs off the new album and then the whole of SFAM, I’d understand the whole “smells wrong” thing. They will undoubtedly though play a full set of around 80-90 min based on the new album which is a full show for many bands. SFAM is an added bonus not something they’re doing instead of playing stuff off the new album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm coming off as negative. I'm usually defending DT against negativity. But to me, the crux of it is that I'm not sure how many albums DT has left. Everytime I read a band is playing an album in full from their past, I usually eye roll it. That is for bands that are going backwards. I don't ever want to think of DT as going backwards. I, as a huge fan almost from the start, am not ready for that, and this kind of thing makes me very nervous.

The fact that they are playing the Scenes songs live is fantastic. I just hope they don't think that playing an old album in full is what they need to do. If they truly want to do it, fine, who am I to get in the way. But if I am being consistent, if I eye roll every other band for doing this, then I have to eye roll DT. I was willing to make the exception for I&W.

But i think there is a very crucial difference. Most of these nostalgia acts are not coming up with new material anymore. DT still is. I think they are just combining this with anniversaries of old albums because 1) they want the old fans to hear the new material, and 2) I think somewhere in their mind, they know that they don't really have much time left where they especially JLB can stil do the old material because of physical constraints. DT has actually been very bold, doing two tours with no I&W songs, and doing a full tour with only new material. You don't see that in any of these so-called nostalgia acts.

And sorry for you fans who got treated to hearing all these old material over the years, but how about us who only entered DT's touring sched in the last couple of years?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #466 on: November 07, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »

Well, yea if the support is crappy.  I can't be the only one who would love to see a relatively known prog metal band open for DT and allow DT to have rotating sets again.  I dream of Haken opening for DT with a DT encore jamming with Haken.

You’d rather have less Dream Theater and an opening act instead? If I have the option of seeing DT do SFAM (or just 70 min of any DT music) or seeing Haken open (or literally anyone else) I would take more DT every time. If I wanted to see Haken, I’d buy a ticket to see them in their own show.  I’ve seen decent bands open for DT such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Pain Of Salvation, Symphony X. I’d still rather have seen DT do an extra set for all of those shows than watch a support band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
But i think there is a very crucial difference. Most of these nostalgia acts are not coming up with new material anymore. DT still is. I think they are just combining this with anniversaries of old albums because 1) they want the old fans to hear the new material, and 2) I think somewhere in their mind, they know that they don't really have much time left where they especially JLB can stil do the old material because of physical constraints. DT has actually been very bold, doing two tours with no I&W songs, and doing a full tour with only new material. You don't see that in any of these so-called nostalgia acts.

I will say again that I’m assuming this is an Evening With show. If it wasn’t and they came out playing one or two songs off the new album and then the whole of SFAM, I’d understand the whole “smells wrong” thing. They will undoubtedly though play a full set of around 80-90 min based on the new album which is a full show for many bands. SFAM is an added bonus not something they’re doing instead of playing stuff off the new album.

I can't believe you guys fighting SFAM in it's entirety. I mean the whole production with the filmed dramatization and the immersive experience of going through the story with the music? it's uncomprehendable to me but to each their own I guess.

I appreciate the discussion. SFAM is a TAC Top 10 album of all time, so trust me, I love it. I have the utmost confidence that this will be done tastefully and spectacularly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #468 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
I can't believe you guys fighting SFAM in it's entirety. I mean the whole production with the filmed dramatization and the immersive experience of going through the story with the music? it's uncomprehendable to me but to each their own I guess. But if DT changes their plans due to the feedback I'll be the saddest fuckin panda to ever walk the ice heh

I think being on the cusp on a new album, fans such as myself are excited for the  premiere of new material (and underplayed material).  Of course, the easy solution is to feature SFAM on a later 2019 leg.  Best of both worlds IMO.

Thanks.  As mentioned, I assumed I was only buying a seat, so no problem with this.  It would have been cool to get the M&G and goodies.

Good news - DT will likely offer the VIP experience as an add-on item sans ticket.  Just be patient for several weeks - last 3 or 4 tours they featured an add-on VIP purchase.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »

I think being on the cusp on a new album, fans such as myself are excited for the  premiere of new material (and underplayed material).  Of course, the easy solution is to feature SFAM on a later 2019 leg.  Best of both worlds IMO.

I agree.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »

You’d rather have less Dream Theater and an opening act instead? If I have the option of seeing DT do SFAM or just 70 min of music or seeing Haken (or literally anyone else) I would take more DT every time. If I wanted to see Haken, I’d buy a ticket to see them in their own show.  I’ve seen decent bands open for DT such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Pain Of Salvation, Symphony X. I’d still rather have seen DT do an extra set for all of those shows than watch a support band.

If it allowed them to have rotating sets, like they did during the ADTOE tour then yes. And I am also assuming its not a crappy opening band.  All of those opening bands you mentioned would be fine with me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: November 07, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »
More DT is always better than an opening band.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #472 on: November 07, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »

This. I honestly hope they never have an opening band again.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #473 on: November 07, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »
If it was any other album, it would be different. But SFAM is up there with Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. They HAVE to honor it's anniversary!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »
If it was any other album, it would be different. But SFAM is up there with Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. They HAVE to honor it's anniversary!

It's "Anniversary" meaning which one? Which anniversaries should they recognize? And how many? Every 10th one? 5th one?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »

It's "Anniversary" meaning which one? Which anniversaries should they recognize? And how many? Every 10th one? 5th one?

Good point... but I don't know. I'm so exited for the new album and tour... and I just don't want to miss anything good!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »
Picked up 9th row seats for Charlotte on the presale, pretty pumped to go.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm missing something here.  I thought part of the MP lawsuits was that they could never do SFaM from start to finish ever again?  Or, now they I'm typing this, maybe it was 12SS they were banned from playing all the way.

I need a fact bomb thrown my way here.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2018, 08:07:26 PM »
I'm with TAC on this one. I hope SFAM doesn't become the main event on the new tour. I'd prefer them to do a more balanced setlist and maybe just a small portion of the set dedicated to the album. There are ways to do it tastefully and I'm sure DT will do it that way, but for now I am cautiously optimistic.

I did really like the way they handled the Awake and Scenes anniversaries a few years ago. That was probably my favorite DT setlist. It was a great balance of celebrating the anniversaries and also showing off the new material. If this tour is anything like that, I'm sure it'll be fine.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »
It's not an easy thing, disagreeing with TAC, he's such a class act poster.
Dang it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Let me just put this out there:
I've been fascinated by concept albums since I heard The Wall and SFAM is one of the very few albums of this nature -around 5 total- that engages me beginning to end.
SFAM is my first and favorite DT album, by a big margin.
LSFNY is my favorite DT DVD and a top 5 of music DVD's ever. Every time I watched that show back in the early 00's I'd feel like I missed something amazing by not being there to see the album played from start to finish.
This means so much to me, I hope they don't cancel it or turn it into a 4 or 5 song thing.

Offline robbob

« Reply #481 on: November 07, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
I'm with TAC on this one. I hope SFAM doesn't become the main event on the new tour. I'd prefer them to do a more balanced setlist and maybe just a small portion of the set dedicated to the album. There are ways to do it tastefully and I'm sure DT will do it that way, but for now I am cautiously optimistic.

I did really like the way they handled the Awake and Scenes anniversaries a few years ago. That was probably my favorite DT setlist. It was a great balance of celebrating the anniversaries and also showing off the new material. If this tour is anything like that, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Totally agree with how the setlist was created on the DT12 Tour. Playing mini sets of Awake and Scenes was great, one of my favorite setlists and DT concerts as well. If they play all of Scenes then it would have to be in an Evening with format, kind of like the Images and Beyond tour.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Tickets purchased for DT show #13 :metal

Offline earlilano

« Reply #483 on: November 07, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
I just bought tickets for the San Diego show and the first night of the LA show. I am so excited. I got great seats too.  :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #484 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Oh, I'd flip.  I went nuts when they busted out Ytse Jam on A Dramatic Tour of Events, and I've caught A Fortune in Lies a few times.  I'm still bummed that when I missed the Octavarium tour, I missed Afterlife.

I just really dig the album, b/c I go back (like so many others) to the I&W days when Pull Me Under debuted on Headbangers Ball.  I found a random used copy of WDADU sometime in '93 when I didn't even know they'd had a previous album.  So along with I&W, WDADU laid the foundation for my lifelong love for the band.  That's why SFaM doesn't interest me as much: it's an amazing album and I'm glad I got to see the tour for it (my 1st DT show, actually), but I've never *not* been exposed to it in a live setting in some capacity, so it feels like a standard for me at this point.  Deeper stuff from WDADU, on the other hand, is something I'd consider a treat.
I'm with you bro. I got into them back in the summer of 1989, so WDaDU was my first exposure to the band and that album will always rate very highly for me because of my history with it. But as many people have said, we are quite the minority in our feelings for that album. Have a look at any of the "rate DT's albums" threads, and you'll almost always see WDaDU at the bottom or only a couple up from the bottom.

Personally, I would be satisfied if the guys included a couple of WDaDU tracks into the setlist this time around, and not the usual suspects (A Fortune in Lies, Ytsejam or Afterlife) - besides The Killing Hand, it would be nice to see them resurrect Only a Matter of Time, or if they were really bold Light Fuse and Get Away or The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (altho quite frankly, that will never happen since JP seems to drop anything from the set that doesn't get a great crowd reaction).

I’m surprised by how many of you are complaining that they may play what is time and again voted their greatest ever album rather than 70 min of odds and sods from other albums.
But it's nice when the band mixes it up on each tour, and brings back different songs that haven't been played in a number of years. And there's plenty of tracks in their back catalog that haven't gotten an airing in quite some time. So yes, it would be nice to have more of the "odds and sods from other albums" setlist. And keep in mind that there's plenty of people here that have seen SFaM performed in it's entirety - for some like myself, multiple times (5 for me) - so it's a been there, done that thing for us.

If they play the whole of SFAM on this tour, that will only be half the show. You will still get another set based around stuff off the new album. SFAM is a bonus set you get instead of sitting through some crappy support band.
Fair point - I'll give you that.

And also, the "celebration of where they came from" tour was the Octavarium tour.  No reason to do that again.
And yet they did do it again, albeit in a shorter format and only in Europe, in 2015.
Get outta here with your facts.
:-*

Most of these nostalgia acts are not coming up with new material anymore. DT still is. I think they are just combining this with anniversaries of old albums because 1) they want the old fans to hear the new material, and 2) I think somewhere in their mind, they know that they don't really have much time left where they especially JLB can stil do the old material because of physical constraints.
But the thing is, there's been much more of a focus on anniversaries than in the past, and it's happening a lot these days. Maybe they are putting out new material (and I'm glad that they are), but when part of the promotion is about the anniversary of _____ album, it does start to smell like nostalgia.

Exactly. They could celebrate an anniversary every single tour if they wanted to. Shortly after they performed WDaDU in LA, I interviewed MP, and here's what he told me when I asked him if we could expect to see album anniversaries:
No – I mean every year we could say it’s the anniversary of something. This year is the tenth anniversary of Awake, and we already celebrated the tenth anniversary of Images and Words. That’s not to say that special things like this won’t pop up from time to time, because anything is possible. But When Dream and Day Unite was a special anniversary, because that was something that everyone had always wanted to see performed with the current line-up. So it made sense to celebrate that.
While the occasional anniversary celebration is fine, when it starts to happen regularly (as seems to be the case lately), it gets to be overkill and does seem like a nostalgia cash grab.

SFAM is a TAC Top 10 album of all time, so trust me, I love it. I have the utmost confidence that this will be done tastefully and spectacularly.
If they play the whole thing, I'd be more on board if it is performed markedly different from the way it was originally and on the album (which Bosk seems to be implying to a degree, so hopefully this is the case). The way they performed the IaW songs on the IWaB tour was great - hope they'll do something along those lines with SFaM.

I'm missing something here.  I thought part of the MP lawsuits was that they could never do SFaM from start to finish ever again?  Or, now they I'm typing this, maybe it was 12SS they were banned from playing all the way.
None of the above. After seeing the agreement that Geoff Tate made with his former bandmates (that they never perform all of O:M at a show), MP commented that he wished he had included such an agreement when he parted ways with DT about the 12SS. But in any case, nothing like that exists between them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
Exactly. They could celebrate an anniversary every single tour if they wanted to. Shortly after they performed WDaDU in LA, I interviewed MP, and here's what he told me when I asked him if we could expect to see album anniversaries:
No – I mean every year we could say it’s the anniversary of something. This year is the tenth anniversary of Awake, and we already celebrated the tenth anniversary of Images and Words. That’s not to say that special things like this won’t pop up from time to time, because anything is possible. But When Dream and Day Unite was a special anniversary, because that was something that everyone had always wanted to see performed with the current line-up. So it made sense to celebrate that.

No way "everyone has always wanted to see [WDADU] performed with the current line-up." But I like and appreciate how he addressed the question overall.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #486 on: November 07, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
No way "everyone has always wanted to see [WDADU] performed with the current line-up."
Not sure how far back you go as a fan, but on the old Ytsejam mailing list, that was a topic brought up on a regular basis, and that list was still pretty active until a couple years before they performed it. So I don't think what he was saying was much of a stretch at all.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
But really what percentage of fans, and people who attend a DT show, does that represent? I've been a fan since 1992, and I didn't know there was a Ytsejam mailing list.

I don't want to question MP's grasp of the fans. But saying everyone, while hyperbolic, is a bit extreme, even for Mike who tends to have tunnel vision.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #488 on: November 07, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »
But really what percentage of fans, and people who attend a DT show, does that represent? I've been a fan since 1992, and I didn't know there was a Ytsejam mailing list.

I don't want to question MP's grasp of the fans. But saying everyone, while hyperbolic, is a bit extreme, even for Mike who tends to have tunnel vision.
I get what you are saying - there were plenty of fans that couldn't care less about WDaDU. But I think MP was thinking specifically about everyone who had posted on the Ytsejam mailing list where it was regularly brought up. Granted, that was probably the earliest diehard group of DT fans that existed and certainly did not represent every DT fan - in fact probably not even the majority of DT fans. But had you been a part of that list like I was, and I know MP religiously read all the posts (even having fans print out the 'jams for him and the rest of the band before any of them had computers), you would be under the impression that most, if not all DT fans did want to hear WDaDU performed by the current lineup. Not reality any more than assuming that everything posted here on dtf.org is a completely fair representation of the DT fanbase as a whole, but it gives you that impression, and I think the same could be said for MP's perspective back then.

edit: One other thing - even when you read the comments about WDaDU here, what is the biggest complaint? Besides the mix/production, most complain that JL wasn't on the album. Re-recording the album with the (then) current lineup solved this issue. And in fact, there's been plenty of posts here over the years where people will comment about how WDaDR is the only version of the album they'll listen to. So I'd say that does give more credence to what MP said.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:22:37 PM by Setlist Scotty »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #489 on: November 07, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »

This. I honestly hope they never have an opening band again.

100% yes to this