Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252242 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #420 on: November 07, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
Don't forget YouTube compresses audio drastically, so the actual sound of the record may be slightly different.
fixed

Agreed. It won't be super different, but it definitely should be taken into account that YouTube compresses audio.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #421 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
I have what may be a dumb question.

When I was at the Live Nation website yesterday, I clicked the "shop platinum tickets" link and bought my ticket that way.  I didn't see anything about meet and great and swag and assumed I was just buying the ticket, but does a "platinum ticket" include that other stuff?

P.S. I got an e-mail this morning from Ticketmaster with a presale code "DISTANCE".
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #422 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
I guess it’s safe to assume that Scenes will be in the second half of the show.

Ugh, God I hope not.  Do a mashup or something, but don't devote an entire half of the show to it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #423 on: November 07, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »

Ugh, God I hope not.  Do a mashup or something, but don't devote an entire half of the show to it.

I think we got the point with your anti-SFAM thread....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: November 07, 2018, 01:40:43 PM »
pg, nothing wrong with having that opinion.

I share it completely.

But I thought Bosk alluded to them not playing the thing all at once. So maybe it'll be spread out. Still, it's 70 minutes of the show dedicated to ONE album released 20 years ago. The only good thing is that they have made it known ahead of people buying tickets.

Maybe it'll be presented in an Astonishing style production. I suppose that'd be cool. But still...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
My guess is that the flow of the show will be similar to the one on I&W tour, roughly:
First set: 30 min of DOT + 40 min of favorites
Second set: Scenes and... that's all, folks!

Well, when Bosk said that it will be something different he can't mean this. I have thought about this what could it be.. that 25 min demo of metropolis pt 2? :biggrin:

Maybe some acoustic set with a few SFAM songs before the main concert? I honestly have no clue
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #426 on: November 07, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »

Which was needlessly and inappropriately locked, I might add

Also, you asked there but I couldn't reply: "Second, what could they possibly do with WDADU that the didn't do 15 years ago?"

My answer to that is: they could actually tour on it, and not just do a one-off special show.  I'm not asking them to devote an entire set to the album, but throw in some of the deeper cuts as a celebration of where they came from.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: November 07, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
It would be cool if they just did the other songs from SFAM that they didn't do 5 years ago the last time they celebrated the album.  I wouldn't complain about seeing the whole album live, but having seen almost all of it already through various shows, I'd be cool with them doing only half of it and including some other songs that they havent played recently or maybe also do a WDADU part of the set too for it's anniversary. 

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #428 on: November 07, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
having seen almost all of it already through various shows

This... this is why I feel the way I do.  It's not like the album has been underrepresented since its release, and certainly not since the tour 5 years ago.  I get that some people might want to see all of it in order, but in terms of pure exposure, it's not that special.  It's the same reason Geoff Tate touring on the 30th anniversary of Operation: Mindcrime was a big ol' "meh, whatever" from me: I've seen it in its entirety already, and QR proper plays enough of it as is (as they did when Tate was still in the band).

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #429 on: November 07, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
It is weird that they paid tribute to the album 5 years ago, and now they are again. Are they just going to tour on SFAM every 5 years for the rest of their careers?

I'd be happy if they just played a chunk of songs that they didn't play 5 years ago and the rest of the set is new stuff and old stuff mixed in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
Also it will then be three tours in a row in the US of playing albums in their entirety (TA, I&W, SFAM if it happens).  I'm not really complaining since I love these albums, and I would totally dig seeing SFAM in it's whole, but it's becoming a pattern.  I would love a repeat of how they did the DT12 tour.  Perfect way to pay respect and give the fans what they want from the albums during their anniversaries without dedicated an entire set to it.  I'd love it again, just with different songs (and swap Awake with WDADU). Looking back on that tour, for example the Red Bank show (where they will be coming back to again  :metal)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2014/count-basie-theatre-red-bank-nj-6bc27232.html

What a fantastic set list that was for that tour.  Also had the big screen in the background with videos.  I'd love seeing a similar tour to that again.  I saw it three times that tour.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #431 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
To be frank, its not that Scenes is what is being promoted. The new album is PLUS Scenes. It appears the band's marketing is (rightly so) focused on the new album, and its "hey, you liked the whole album thing so much, we'll do Scenes considering it is the 20th anniversary of it."

It'd be different if the tour was billed as the 20th Anniversary Tour of Scenes From a Memory (plus new music and hits). That would be...weird for DT.

As I said in the locked thread, I don't particularly like this tour (and will not be attending), but I see why they are doing it, and I'm pleased for fans who never got to see SFAM in its entirety (of which there are many, since DT's popularity skyrocketed after Scenes).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: November 07, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
It is weird that they paid tribute to the album 5 years ago, and now they are again. Are they just going to tour on SFAM every 5 years for the rest of their careers?

Exactly. Seems very Queensryche-ish.

To be frank, its not that Scenes is what is being promoted. The new album is PLUS Scenes. 

It'd be different if the tour was billed as the 20th Anniversary Tour of Scenes From a Memory (plus new music and hits).

Because saying the apple and the orange is so much different than saying the orange and the apple... :lol

Again, Bosk alluded to this being something special, so I'll have to have faith and take his word on that, because he obviously knows something we do not.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
Yea true, if this isn't going to be your typical play the album then maybe we should wait and see before we form opinions on the presentation

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #434 on: November 07, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind if they skipped some SFAM songs to make room for Octavarium, which I have to see live at least once. As long as they don't skip Beyond this Life, I will be fine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #435 on: November 07, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »

Also, you asked there but I couldn't reply: "Second, what could they possibly do with WDADU that the didn't do 15 years ago?"

My answer to that is: they could actually tour on it, and not just do a one-off special show.  I'm not asking them to devote an entire set to the album, but throw in some of the deeper cuts as a celebration of where they came from.
Why would they tour on WDADU? That would be the worst idea ever.  And also, the "celebration of where they came from" tour was the Octavarium tour.  No reason to do that again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #436 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
And also, the "celebration of where they came from" tour was the Octavarium tour.  No reason to do that again.
And yet they did do it again, albeit in a shorter format and only in Europe, in 2015.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »
And also, the "celebration of where they came from" tour was the Octavarium tour.  No reason to do that again.
And yet they did do it again, albeit in a shorter format and only in Europe, in 2015.

Well, I think they needed a summer festival setlist and it was actually a neat idea.

Offline vasgroup

« Reply #438 on: November 07, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
Hoping that gap in the tour schedule before Charlotte includes Raleigh/Durham!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #439 on: November 07, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
Man, not happy about the lack of notice about the show.  Friend texts me yesterday and says they're playing in Chicago and tickets go on sale friday.  Cool.  I'll be sure to buy tickets right when they go on sale. 

Get a free moment and check out the board to find out the presale has already begun right as I'm heading out of the house. 

Finally get a free moment, get the citi code (thanks to whoever posted that) and manage to get 8thish row seats  on the side (just number the rows people, none of this row JJ crap).  Had I had more notice I maybe could have got something a little more center and just as close.

Not dream theaters fault.  I've had this problem with almost every concert over the last 3 years although usually presales have crap seats so 8thish row seats aren't terrible. 

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #440 on: November 07, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
Why would they tour on WDADU? That would be the worst idea ever.

I mean incorporate into the set (not do an I&W 25).  You honestly don't think that would be a selling point that would resonate with a lot of people?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: November 07, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
WDADU?? No that would not resonate. Most people consider it their worst album. I think it's great, but I'm in the minority.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »

I mean incorporate into the set (not do an I&W 25).  You honestly don't think that would be a selling point that would resonate with a lot of people?

As much as I like that idea, I don't think it would be a big selling point.  I think that would be one for the more hardcore fans.  Like advertising for SFAM makes sense, a really popular album.  If they advertised a WDADU tour, I don't think you'd see as many fans excited for that.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
Not dream theaters fault.

Maybe not the band members, but I do think the organization deserves some blame.  The little images they've been floating around have only listed dates and cities, and nothing about venues and on-sale times.  They really kind of dropped the ball here.  Obviously it will sell, but with so many people being like "wait, what?  Tickets are on sale?  I don't even know where they're playing in town!" it kind of puts the onus on whoever is handling PR.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
Valid.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

I may have missed it, but I don't think there's been any sort of official announcement as to what exactly "CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF ‘METROPOLIS PT. 2 SCENES FROM A MEMORY’" means.  I've mentioned that I missed the SFAM tour, so I'd be thrilled if they do the whole thing, and we all expressed our opinions about what we'd like to see in the thread that Bosk started a few weeks ago.  The reality of Dream Theater is that it will be impossible to play everyone's favorite songs.  I'm sure a lot of folks would be thrilled if they played UAGM, The Mirror, Lie, New Millennium, The Great Debate and ITPOE 1 & 2, but I'd absolutely hate that.

If you don't like the idea of "CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF ‘METROPOLIS PT. 2 SCENES FROM A MEMORY’" (whatever that might be), then don't go.  I doubt very much that the 28 dates scheduled over 6 1/2 weeks will be the full extent of the band's touring for this album, and I'm guessing that whatever additional dates they do won't have the SFAM focus.

As for WDADU, I don't know what you mean by "deeper cuts," but I think "The Killing Hand" was one of the top 3 in Bosk's poll that was passed onto the band.

A song or two would be fine, but I don't think anyone is going to get excited about anything other than TKH.

Not dream theaters fault.

Maybe not the band members, but I do think the organization deserves some blame.  The little images they've been floating around have only listed dates and cities, and nothing about venues and on-sale times.  They really kind of dropped the ball here.  Obviously it will sell, but with so many people being like "wait, what?  Tickets are on sale?  I don't even know where they're playing in town!" it kind of puts the onus on whoever is handling PR.

I agree.  It was all very "BANG...there it is!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:47 PM »
I had a small rant earlier today about the tickets.  It seems consistent whenever DT announce a US tour that there is some issue with ticket purchasing in some way or shape and it's not always the same issue.  I don't think the timing is the issue though, that seems normal today to announce the tour and tickets be available the next day via pre-sale and a few days later for general sale. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #447 on: November 07, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »
Well, there goes my theory of them not doing any Anniversary type themed shows for this album. It's kinda becoming tiring, but I hope I can score tickets for Denver or Dallas though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #448 on: November 07, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »
A song or two would be fine, but I don't think anyone is going to get excited about anything other than TKH.

Oh, I'd flip.  I went nuts when they busted out Ytse Jam on A Dramatic Tour of Events, and I've caught A Fortune in Lies a few times.  I'm still bummed that when I missed the Octavarium tour, I missed Afterlife.

I just really dig the album, b/c I go back (like so many others) to the I&W days when Pull Me Under debuted on Headbangers Ball.  I found a random used copy of WDADU sometime in '93 when I didn't even know they'd had a previous album.  So along with I&W, WDADU laid the foundation for my lifelong love for the band.  That's why SFaM doesn't interest me as much: it's an amazing album and I'm glad I got to see the tour for it (my 1st DT show, actually), but I've never *not* been exposed to it in a live setting in some capacity, so it feels like a standard for me at this point.  Deeper stuff from WDADU, on the other hand, is something I'd consider a treat.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »
To all the people saying, just play the SFAM songs they didn’t do on the DT12 tour, you do realise that would be so close to doing the full album that they may as well do the full album right? On the DT12 tour they did Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, The Dance Of Eternity and Finally Free, that’s it. I will also say that, whilst I thought I wouldn’t be all that excited to hear that stuff, it absolutely blew everything else they played that night out of the water. You forget how incredible and powerful that material is live.

I’m surprised by how many of you are complaining that they may play what is time and again voted their greatest ever album rather than 70 min of odds and sods from other albums. Would it be my choice that they take up 70 odd min of the tour for the new album by playing SFAM? No, it wouldn’t. I’ve got a funny feeling though that, if they do it, we’ll all be eating our words and floored by how much we loved hearing it live again after all these years.

Of course it has not yet been confirmed that they are playing the full album every night but I certainly wouldn’t complain if they did.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
To all the people saying, just play the SFAM songs they didn’t do on the DT12 tour, you do realise that would be so close to doing the full album that they may as well do the full album right? On the DT12 tour they did Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, The Dance Of Eternity and Finally Free, that’s it. I will also say that, whilst I thought I wouldn’t be all that excited to hear that stuff, it absolutely blew everything else they played that night out of the water. You forget how incredible and powerful that material is live.

I’m surprised by how many of you are complaining that they may play what is time and again voted their greatest ever album rather than 70 min of odds and sods from other albums. Would it be my choice that they take up 70 odd min of the tour for the new album by playing SFAM? No, it wouldn’t. I’ve got a funny feeling though that, if they do it, we’ll all be eating our words and floored by how much we loved hearing it live again after all these years.

Of course it has not yet been confirmed that they are playing the full album every night but I certainly wouldn’t complain if they did.

I think it would be cool if they did:

Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Through Her Eyes
Home

Pretty much everything they didn't do last time, all in sequence on the album without doing the whole album and it would end on a high note with a fan favorite Home.  Maybe that could end the set too.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »
I would MUCH RATHER see WDADU played in full than SFAM which I've seen played many times before, but that's just me.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
I had a small rant earlier today about the tickets.  It seems consistent whenever DT announce a US tour that there is some issue with ticket purchasing in some way or shape and it's not always the same issue.  I don't think the timing is the issue though, that seems normal today to announce the tour and tickets be available the next day via pre-sale and a few days later for general sale.
I had ZERO issues with the "citi pre-sale" on Tuesday. Got 2 tickets in row K on the aisle EAZY PEAZY.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »

I think it would be cool if they did:

Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Through Her Eyes
Home

Pretty much everything they didn't do last time, all in sequence on the album without doing the whole album and it would end on a high note with a fan favorite Home.  Maybe that could end the set too.

TOTALLY agree!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »
I also think the Queensr˙che comparison is hugely unfair as if DT are becoming some nostalgia act just doing a cash grab playing their old albums.

The Awake anniversary thing was not the full album, it was 5 songs, many of which are rarely played and one of which had never been played. It was also part of a huge Evening With show so it’s not like they didn’t play plenty of new material. You still got 5 songs off their latest album including the 20 min epic.

The Images & Words tour was a nostalgia thing but it was an extra tour after they had already toured their latest album where they played the entire new album and no old songs at all. At least not at first until fans actually complained about them not doing some older stuff. Even the Images & Words tour still had a second set of other material which would’ve been a full concert in of itself for most bands.

If they play the whole of SFAM on this tour, that will only be half the show. You will still get another set based around stuff off the new album. SFAM is a bonus set you get instead of sitting through some crappy support band.

DT fans are super spoiled if this is what they actually have to complain about, their favourite band doing a second set where they play their best ever album in addition to a full concert of other stuff.