Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252268 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
All the songs from the 13 studio albums, counting SDOIT and ITPOE as one song each, amounts to 136 songs. So 137 would be track 1 of this new album.

Maybe that means that there will be a title track and that it's also the album opener.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »

If we're using that analogy, then based on a lot of comments most of Dream Theater's customers are middle-aged women with platinum blonde pixie cuts who immediately ask to speak to a manager the second they walk into a restaurant, try to use 8 coupons that all expired in 1992 or 1994, yell at the poor underpaid waitress who's just trying to work her way through her theater degree, send the food back 5 times because it's either "too hot" or "too cold" even if it's the same exact dish, start complaining so loudly it bothers all the rest of the customers who are just trying to enjoy a nice evening out, then leave in a huff (probably without paying), and leave a bad review on every website possible.

Meanwhile, their husbands are sitting there with a look on their faces that betrays their sudden realization of why the divorce rate is so high. They remember the times when their credit cards weren't maxed out on "as-seen-on-TV" products and their ritualistic Sunday dinner out was a pleasant experience. When they had a great life ahead of them: cushy office jobs with benefits, a sizable retirement fund, a happy marriage with kids, and the world as their oyster. What happened to them? How did things get like this? Where has that spark in their life gone? They sigh, order another whiskey, lie back in their chairs, and think of England. Maybe tonight they will call that lawyer whose wrinkled card has taken up a six-year residence in a cozy wallet condo. Probably not. Inertia is a hell of a drug.

This post made my day  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
Love that album cover. Simple, yet powerful. And I really like that album title as well.

I like the title, but can't stand the cover.  I wonder if the artist presented this to DT and they all agreed 100% that this is It?  "Oh yeah, a robot holding a skull!!!" I think DT could have come up with something better than that. I guess I need to get over it and look forward to the music and try not to connect it with that image..

Well, maybe, just maybe, they asked for what they felt relevant for the theme of the album or of a song. I don't think they went through some random artwork and said "mh, yeah, we'll go with it", they must have wanted it like that for a reason that will be eventually clear once you hear the album (kinda like Octavarium or Black Clouds).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
Love that album cover. Simple, yet powerful. And I really like that album title as well.

I like the title, but can't stand the cover.  I wonder if the artist presented this to DT and they all agreed 100% that this is It?  "Oh yeah, a robot holding a skull!!!" I think DT could have come up with something better than that. I guess I need to get over it and look forward to the music and try not to connect it with that image..

Well, maybe, just maybe, they asked for what they felt relevant for the theme of the album or of a song. I don't think they went through some random artwork and said "mh, yeah, we'll go with it", they must have wanted it like that for a reason that will be eventually clear once you hear the album (kinda like Octavarium or Black Clouds).

I love the cover and think it fits the name of the Album perfectly. The ‘simplicity’ of just a hand and skull but it still tells a story and the artwork itself looks sharp, clean and amazing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
All the songs from the 13 studio albums, counting SDOIT and ITPOE as one song each, amounts to 136 songs. So 137 would be track 1 of this new album.

Maybe that means that there will be a title track and that it's also the album opener.

Or what if they pulled a Transatlantic and the new album is just 1 song broken up into 10 parts. o.O
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline jammindude

« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »

If we're using that analogy, then based on a lot of comments most of Dream Theater's customers are middle-aged women with platinum blonde pixie cuts who immediately ask to speak to a manager the second they walk into a restaurant, try to use 8 coupons that all expired in 1992 or 1994, yell at the poor underpaid waitress who's just trying to work her way through her theater degree, send the food back 5 times because it's either "too hot" or "too cold" even if it's the same exact dish, start complaining so loudly it bothers all the rest of the customers who are just trying to enjoy a nice evening out, then leave in a huff (probably without paying), and leave a bad review on every website possible.

Meanwhile, their husbands are sitting there with a look on their faces that betrays their sudden realization of why the divorce rate is so high. They remember the times when their credit cards weren't maxed out on "as-seen-on-TV" products and their ritualistic Sunday dinner out was a pleasant experience. When they had a great life ahead of them: cushy office jobs with benefits, a sizable retirement fund, a happy marriage with kids, and the world as their oyster. What happened to them? How did things get like this? Where has that spark in their life gone? They sigh, order another whiskey, lie back in their chairs, and think of England. Maybe tonight they will call that lawyer whose wrinkled card has taken up a six-year residence in a cozy wallet condo. Probably not. Inertia is a hell of a drug.

This post made my day  :lol

I third, fourth, and fifth that post.   PERFECT analogy.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »

Yeah I get that, I'm sure it is very relevant to a song or theme. I just loathe that image, lol!  I was also saying that I wonder if the whole band was on board with this image for the cover. Maybe this should be in the stupid DT factoid thread..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
The artwork process is complex and of course something they very much deliberate on. It’s not just a result of “eh, that will do”.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »

That’s a very good observation :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
I am usually more curious about how they decided on the album title.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
I love how often fans complain about the artwork when DT make more of an effort with it than pretty much any other band I know. I mean they actually commissioned a different piece of artwork for every song in the DT12 booklet and people complained. With most bands you get a fairly generic album cover and that’s it, you’re lucky if you even get lyrics most of the time. Obviously peoples tastes differ and not everyone is going to like the artwork but it’s ridiculous to suggest they don’t put the effort in.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
It's hard not to wonder how much work and care gets put inside the album cover, when images strikingly similar to the artwork are very easy to find on google. It's a cool looking cover, but it doesn't look all too authentic. I'm sure it's appropriate and relates to the lyrical themes well, though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
I love how often fans complain about the artwork when DT make more of an effort with it than pretty much any other band I know. I mean they actually commissioned a different piece of artwork for every song in the DT12 booklet and people complained. With most bands you get a fairly generic album cover and that’s it, you’re lucky if you even get lyrics most of the time. Obviously peoples tastes differ and not everyone is going to like the artwork but it’s ridiculous to suggest they don’t put the effort in.

I don't know why - maybe it's a Hugh Syme pattern of late - but I LOVE the booklet of DT12, but didn't care about that cover. Same thing with Rush's Clockwork Angels, which has an absolutely GORGEOUS booklet, but the cover is as meh as it can be.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »

I don't know why - maybe it's a Hugh Syme pattern of late - but I LOVE the booklet of DT12, but didn't care about that cover. Same thing with Rush's Clockwork Angels, which has an absolutely GORGEOUS booklet, but the cover is as meh as it can be.

Hence the expression "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but by it's booklet" ;)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »

Nice.....

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
I hate the cover,  but the snippet sounds awesome!   :metal
Looks like they're skipping the Pacific Northwest again for this tour. :censored

They usually hit the Seattle area.  The only time I think they didn't was on the SFaM tour.  This is only the first batch of dates, remember.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
I hate the cover,  but the snippet sounds awesome!   :metal
Looks like they're skipping the Pacific Northwest again for this tour. :censored

They usually hit the Seattle area.  The only time I think they didn't was on the SFaM tour.  This is only the first batch of dates, remember.
I hope you're right.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2018, 10:54:19 PM »
Regarding the tour, even though they are playing SFAM, it is NOT going to simply be a rehashing of what they did on the SFAM tour.  That's all I'll say about that right now.
I'm calling it now: free past-life regression therapy for everyone in the Meet & Greet.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
I’m still getting a little bit of typewriter vibe from those kick drums. Anyone else?

I'm waiting for the album to be released, of course, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the drums sound of the snippet.

B.Lee

Have you listened to Into the Great Divide?  I think Mangini's sound on that is unique and satisfying - very spacious and not overly compressed.  Not that it needs to be guideline for finetuning his DT sound (by no means), but it serves as a sample of some interesting acoustics on his kit.

Offline JLa

« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2018, 01:42:30 AM »
Album cover reminds me of something. Bit of a coincidence.  :lol

Offline robin5749

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2018, 01:58:51 AM »
always an exciting event slowly unreeling a new album and world tour and the usual speculation of what to expect, which with this probably a more heavier affair. i am sure dt realised that the astonishing would divide a lot of fans and would have to produce something to please everybody. i am sure it wont take long for the you tubers to start the usual rants about james labrie and mike mangini drumsound etc.  But then dt set a bench mark that is way higher than most bands. Look forward to the first video release.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:20 AM »
Album cover reminds me of something. Bit of a coincidence.  :lol

I saw the cover at work but wasn't able to get here in time to comment this, I thought of Bad Salad literally the very first second I saw the new DT cover. It's cool but it it is uncanny to BD's cover

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2018, 02:49:35 AM »
The entire sound again sounded overly compressed, with JLB again heavily multi-tracked and FX’ed.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2018, 02:50:37 AM »
I’m still getting a little bit of typewriter vibe from those kick drums. Anyone else?

I'm waiting for the album to be released, of course, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the drums sound of the snippet.

B.Lee

Have you listened to Into the Great Divide?  I think Mangini's sound on that is unique and satisfying - very spacious and not overly compressed.  Not that it needs to be guideline for finetuning his DT sound (by no means), but it serves as a sample of some interesting acoustics on his kit.

Yes, I have. And it has a lot of punch and natural sound I like.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »

Does that not include ACoS?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2018, 05:14:23 AM »

I think Hugh Syme is the problem largely, his artwork is incredibly lazy these days. I'm sure DT cares a lot about their artwork.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
But are we assuming it was Syme this time again? He didn’t do the artwork for TA and I remember DT saying that they were searching for an artist for the artwork around the time they were writing the album. It might be someone new.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2018, 06:44:36 AM »
The entire sound again sounded overly compressed, with JLB again heavily multi-tracked and FX’ed.

Labrie's voice is so touched up on that snippet that I actually thought it was a cut and paste of previous DT songs.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2018, 06:50:19 AM »
But are we assuming it was Syme this time again? He didn’t do the artwork for TA and I remember DT saying that they were searching for an artist for the artwork around the time they were writing the album. It might be someone new.
One of the Treasure Hunt's last passwords on Friday was Syme2018. Of course, this doesn't confirm it, but in my opinion it suggests the idea.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »
One of the Treasure Hunt's last passwords on Friday was Syme2018. Of course, this doesn't confirm it, but in my opinion it suggests the idea.

Oh, I forgot about that. I actually have no problem with Syme’s artwork, but I see why they’re considered lazy at times.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
Maybe it depends on how much he is getting paid. It could be a certain amount for a cut and paste job and a higher amount for a totally original piece. Maybe DT can only afford the lower end of the scale, especially if they’re getting multiple pieces of artwork for the album. Cover still looks pretty cool and unusual to me though I am in no way any kind of art connoisseur.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Quote from: James LaBrie on Facebook
I’m sure most of you have heard the sound snippet and peek into our next album, ‘Distance Over Time’.
Hope you’re as stoked as we are.
Have a great one.

James didn't obviously miss that the treasure has been found :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »

Pretty over all these anniversary shows.  I just want an awesome and well rounded setlist. 
Yeah, I'm not so keen on that either. Everything else looks/sounds great though!

Although I still love the anniversary concept, having seen SFAM in its entirety 5 times, plus the 2014 anniversary dates (x3), I'm less enthused to have SFAM takes up half of the setlist.  But I'm happy for Progmetty and those that are stoked to celebrate the album.  For me, I'd like to see a good chunk of new material for the first leg, balanced by a broad representation of the DT catalog for the remaining set.  Maybe save SFAM for a later Fall 2019 leg.

I can't tell you how not happy I'll be if they are playing SFAM in its entirety. Between that and the I&W tour last year, they're getting dangerously close to Queensryche territory.

Not that thrilled about that aspect myself, but it will be interesting to see what Mangini brings to it AND they are playing new stuff (The lack of even one new song caused me to miss a Dream Theater Tour for the first time ever when they did the Images and Words thing.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:59:29 AM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »
Images and Word 25 felt somewhat like that, as a follow up to the mixed-reception of The Astonishing.

But wow, looks like we are getting the best of both worlds here. Revisiting arguably their greatest album, AND supporting a new album release.

I wonder if the promoters are skeptical about Seattle after the poor turnout for TA show? They shouldn't gauge it by that since it was an unusual album and tour. I loved it though!

Didn't realize it had a poor turnout, but didn't concern myself with that. I can easily make a trip to PDX to see them  but no further. But a tour devoted to a 20 year old album is less compelling to me that a tour supporting a brand new album (albeit one I have yet to hear).

Is "returning to one's roots" getting used way, way too often these days?

I'd argue the "greatest album" comment, but more to the point the fact that the band is moving forward again (instead of exclusively looking back) has me more excited this time.

I hope the "returning to one's roots" is more marketing hype than truth because I'd prefer to experience some envelope pushing rather than the "by numbers" aspect that mostly seems to have happened since maybe Octavarium. That's what I loved about The Astonishing (musically and thematically) and I hope it continues.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »
What do you guys think of the cover?
I think Hugh Syme has upped his game!

I’d been a bit tired of his style for a while (loved Octavarium and Systematic Chaos - the rest, ehhh...) but this one has all the hallmarks of a Syme piece and looks gorgeous. Big, big fan!

I love it too. Even if it's digital, I think this is his best project since probably Clockwork Angels.  I'm pretty excited that he rose to the occasion this time.

At this point the only albums I'd love to hear played in their entirety would be Six Degrees and Octavarium.