Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252237 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »
So the 137 on the skull, has that been talked about (can't go through everything posted).

According to urban dictionary it could be Love or Elite... I'm thinking that love could fit in well.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=137

Btw, there's a number on the skull, 137. Wonder what it means.

B.Lee
The same number can be seen in the notepad in the 15th puzzle piece. (James' hand obscured it in the 'Hidden by Design' picture, so we only got to see it a few weeks ago.)

In the notepad, the '137' is over-lined, which 'el_deadache' on Discord realised looks very similar to a scene in "The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace", an episode of The Simpsons. (You know: the one where Homer fancies himself as an inventor a la Edison.)

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Not meaning to rub it in, but it seems every tour announcement some part of the US is completely missed while over here in the Northeast there's plenty of options.  Sucks for the rest of you guys.  I'll be going to the NJ and NYC shows.  Love how they are coming back to Red Bank.  That venue is perfect for me.  So close to home.

The snippet sounds cool after one listen.  I won't keep coming back to it because I don't want to start over analyzing 30 seconds, but sounds promising and definitely heavy. 

Artwork and title are solid  :metal

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
Do we know when tickets go on sale?

Hopefully soon.  I am really interested in the venue chosen for Nashville. In the US, does DT normally play 2-5 K venues?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »
Do we know when tickets go on sale?

Hopefully soon.  I am really interested in the venue chosen for Nashville. In the US, does DT normally play 2-5 K venues?

2k seems about right for the US.  Maybe slightly larger or smaller.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
I think he’s saying if they make 4 albums with Mangini and you don’t like the drums on any of them, maybe it’s time to accept that you just don’t like how DT want Mangini’s drums to sound rather than raising it as an issue with each release. I’ve no idea if you actually do that, I think it was meant more as a general thing rather than aimed at you personally. Every time new material is released, there has been a number of people complaining about the drums (which they are perfectly entitled to do) but at what point is it time to move on and accept you just have a different idea to JP of how the drums should sound on a DT album. We know there are many DT fans who aren’t into how JLB sings but at some point they accepted that this is what he sounds like rather than saying “I hate JLB’s voice” on every album.

All of this.

And I hate how some seem to be like if you happen to enjoy everything a band does, and have no complaints about it, it's seen as "blind acceptance", as if you have to be critical of something if you're to be considered a "well-rounded" fan.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
I think he’s saying if they make 4 albums with Mangini and you don’t like the drums on any of them, maybe it’s time to accept that you just don’t like how DT want Mangini’s drums to sound rather than raising it as an issue with each release. I’ve no idea if you actually do that, I think it was meant more as a general thing rather than aimed at you personally. Every time new material is released, there has been a number of people complaining about the drums (which they are perfectly entitled to do) but at what point is it time to move on and accept you just have a different idea to JP of how the drums should sound on a DT album. We know there are many DT fans who aren’t into how JLB sings but at some point they accepted that this is what he sounds like rather than saying “I hate JLB’s voice” on every album.

All of this.

And I hate how some seem to be like if you happen to enjoy everything a band does, and have no complaints about it, it's seen as "blind acceptance", as if you have to be critical of something if you're to be considered a "well-rounded" fan.

That's not what I said. You're putting words into my mouth. I was just speaking about myself and only myself. Now, if you love everything DT does or has done, good for you. I'm in no position to criticize this and I won't.

Now, when you say people have to choose their side, for or against DT, I still say  it's not that simple. You can be for and still have some reserves. All in all, It's just music after all and I'm sure we will both appreciate DoT.

Peace!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
Song 10? I thought no more than 8 🤔
https://youtu.be/O5rxmfa8OPA
I love this clip! Myung should fill the album with these rocking and tasteful bass lines!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:31:29 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Have we already realized that, well, "over time", we will eventually refer to this album as DOT? :D

DT'S DOT :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
Is the St.Paul, MN show at The Palace Theatre ?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »
That short snippet with James singing does sound a bit Mangini-era DT-by-the-numbers ala Moment of Betrayal. What I like about this snippet is that it seems written in JLB's comfortable vocal range.

But that short snippet with song#10? Amazing. I don't think I have heard any DT song with that feel before.

I don't think anybody who did not find Mangini's style appealing in previous albums would find his drumming here to their liking. From the small snippets we have heard, I think it's already pretty clear that Mangini already found his DT style, which is very muscular and hard-hitting compared to MP's approach.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
So in this weirdo world of the internet we live in, there is no mention of this on DT's official webpage, Twitter, or FB?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
So in this weirdo world of the internet we live in, there is no mention of this on DT's official webpage, Twitter, or FB?

Because they are making it go as a viral fan post.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »

RoeDent is probably talking about the Rickrolling videos, the channel is named "Dream Theater" with the same profile pic as the band's official channel.

I'm not. I'm talking about the fact that that channel has just two videos, few subscribers, no verified symbol, whereas the official DT channel I linked above has all the videos, all the subs, the verified symbol.

To be clear, I am referring to what Jinx linked to. I have not yet listened to it, because I want to find out if it genuinely is legit or not.

:facepalm:
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2018, 11:11:18 AM »

RoeDent is probably talking about the Rickrolling videos, the channel is named "Dream Theater" with the same profile pic as the band's official channel.

I'm not. I'm talking about the fact that that channel has just two videos, few subscribers, no verified symbol, whereas the official DT channel I linked above has all the videos, all the subs, the verified symbol.

To be clear, I am referring to what Jinx linked to. I have not yet listened to it, because I want to find out if it genuinely is legit or not.

:facepalm:

Have we already realized that, well, "over time", we will eventually refer to this album as DOT? :D

DT'S DOT :P
What about D/T? Like a fraction.   :D
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »
Guess who just got an updated version of his avatar? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
I'll reserve thoughts on the new album when I hear a full song, but the images and title seem pretty cool.

I'm thrilled that they are playing Atlanta, especially considering they skipped out on the South for the I&W anniversary tour.  Not sure what to think about them doing SFAM in its entirety again.  I've not seen them do it live, although I've seen a good chunk of the material on various tours (including Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress at ProgPowerUSA last year).  It would be a thrill to see it at least once.  On the other hand, it would also be great to see a larger variety of material.  Thus, I'm assuming it's going to be an "Evening With" with one set being SFAM and another set being a mix of material from various albums. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »

Huh, well, ok, but is that the best way to get the news out to the largest number of people possible? I know it will get there eventually... I just don't get marketing sometimes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
So, based on the previous tour, I'm guessing that there will either be one or none Images and Words songs on the upcoming tour. Also guessing that even if they don't play SFAM in it's entirety at every show, they will do so at one of the two Los Angeles shows.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
Huh, well, ok, but is that the best way to get the news out to the largest number of people possible? I know it will get there eventually... I just don't get marketing sometimes.
What's the rush, anyway? The album/tour won't happen for another 3 months.

Furthermore: it's only because of some fans that the album title, artwork, teaser, and press release (as well as the tour poster) were found out. Some of us made a lot of effort to help find that info - for more than 3 months. Not sure what the band's plans are in relation to this, but I imagine they want to make the fans feel special by not sharing this publicly for a few days.

(My guess is that Monday will be flooded with the official announcement and media articles.)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »

In today's social media world, going viral is more potent than institutional communications.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
I mean, they will still be doing the normal promoting later...

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Never Enough was written for a reason.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »

Never Enough is whiney ass expression of entitlement from what really is a service provider to his paying customers, letting them know how sad it makes him that they don't all appreciate his services all the time. It's a very Portnoyish thing heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
Holy brickwalling, Batman! How many times has this snippet been compressed beyond death and back? :facepalm:

Greetings...
Nef

Was going to say the same thing. Holy compression Batman! Like, the audio taken with a camera live in the studio snippet legit sounds better.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
I know, I know, I am not complaining, I just don't get it I guess. Please carry on with the excitement and enthusiasm. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
Love that album cover. Simple, yet powerful. And I really like that album title as well.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Love that album cover. Simple, yet powerful. And I really like that album title as well.

I like the title, but can't stand the cover.  I wonder if the artist presented this to DT and they all agreed 100% that this is It?  "Oh yeah, a robot holding a skull!!!" I think DT could have come up with something better than that. I guess I need to get over it and look forward to the music and try not to connect it with that image..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
As for "137", I've ran enough survivors and leagues to know that's in the neighborhood of total songs they've released.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »

I like the title, but can't stand the cover.  I wonder if the artist presented this to DT and they all agreed 100% that this is It?  "Oh yeah, a robot holding a skull!!!" I think DT could have come up with something better than that. I guess I need to get over it and look forward to the music and try not to connect it with that image..

I read it as the death of humanity at the hands of Artificial Intelligence (our own creation) and that creation's reflection on the now extinct predecessor. I'm pretty fascinated by that, but to each their own. There's album covers from them I love and ones that I don't care for. This one I dig.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

I read it as the death of humanity at the hands of Artificial Intelligence (our own creation) and that creation's reflection on the now extinct predecessor. I'm pretty fascinated by that, but to each their own. There's album covers from them I love and ones that I don't care for. This one I dig.
Yeah that's how I interpreted it too, the machines win.   Still that image makes my skin crawl for some reason..😵
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »

Yeah that's how I interpreted it too, the machines win.   Still that image makes my skin crawl for some reason..😵

TA part 2.  The NOMACs rise again!  :biggrin:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
Still so happy with the news, I listened to album version SFAM for the first time in years to celebrate. It's very difficult not to sing the missing Fatal Tragedy lyrics from this version!
It's now just a matter of training myself to restrain, I don't wanna lose all my voice and energy on the first show  :lol
Blabbermouth posted the news and I'm reading through the comments all talking about the snippets and I realized I'm the only person that cares more about the SFAM part of the announcement than I do the new album heh, the new album would be awesome for me no matter what, I haven't listened to any new music that I liked for two years now, all this album needs to do is have JP, JM, JLB, JR & MM play music on it to bring me at least a decent 6 month of replayable entertainment, which they do with every album, except maybe the self-titled, that went down the drain pretty fast with me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »

Never Enough is whiney ass expression of entitlement from what really is a service provider to his paying customers, letting them know how sad it makes him that they don't all appreciate his services all the time. It's a very Portnoyish thing heh

If we're using that analogy, then based on a lot of comments most of Dream Theater's customers are middle-aged women with platinum blonde pixie cuts who immediately ask to speak to a manager the second they walk into a restaurant, try to use 8 coupons that all expired in 1992 or 1994, yell at the poor underpaid waitress who's just trying to work her way through her theater degree, send the food back 5 times because it's either "too hot" or "too cold" even if it's the same exact dish, start complaining so loudly it bothers all the rest of the customers who are just trying to enjoy a nice evening out, then leave in a huff (probably without paying), and leave a bad review on every website possible.

Meanwhile, their husbands are sitting there with a look on their faces that betrays their sudden realization of why the divorce rate is so high. They remember the times when their credit cards weren't maxed out on "as-seen-on-TV" products and their ritualistic Sunday dinner out was a pleasant experience. When they had a great life ahead of them: cushy office jobs with benefits, a sizable retirement fund, a happy marriage with kids, and the world as their oyster. What happened to them? How did things get like this? Where has that spark in their life gone? They sigh, order another whiskey, lie back in their chairs, and think of England. Maybe tonight they will call that lawyer whose wrinkled card has taken up a six-year residence in a cozy wallet condo. Probably not. Inertia is a hell of a drug.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
 :rollin

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »
All the songs from the 13 studio albums, counting SDOIT and ITPOE as one song each, amounts to 136 songs. So 137 would be track 1 of this new album.