Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252235 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2018, 03:08:05 AM »
First of all, don't entirely blame the band for missing certain areas, blame venue promoters for not doing their job well enough.

Second, this might be the first album title in recent years where I see very little grounds for complaint from certain negative sections of our fanbase. Examples of what I imagine some folks might say about previous album titles:

ADTOE = "Obviously about Portnoy."
DT = "Lazy titling."
The Astonishing = "What the...?"

Distance Over Time sounds abstract enough that it doesn't add grist to the mill of the haters. This can only be a good thing.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »
The snippet is indeed very promising. I hear a mixture of what DT is in a nutshell. The fast driven riff at the beginning reminded me of Panic Attack, the chorus is very in the vain of ADTOE (Outcry, Bridges in the Sky) and the end is certainly TOT. I feel like this record is a synthesis of the musical evolution of DT compressed in one album.  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2018, 03:53:08 AM »
I wonder if Syme is behind the art?

Should be easy enough to figure out. If anyone can find similar artwork with the robotic hand and skull theme, or even the exact same elements, we'll know Syme did it.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
It breaks my heart to be reminded that people born in the late 90's are no longer children :lol:

SFAM was released 11 days before I was born.

I'm almost 19  ;D
I was born 7 months before SFAM :').

Ok this has nothing to with this thread but since we're talking about this: I was born the 9th of April 1993 and some weeks ago by coincidence I found out that at that day, Dream Theater were playing a show just a few 100 kms away. And I was born in Germany, so I think this is a pretty kewl coincidence :D Plus, I was born at 9 in the evening, so they were probably playing a show at that very minute.

Alright, to contribute to the thread:
I am very hyped for this release!!! Like the cover (already my Macbook desktop) and allowed myself to listen to the snippet ONCE. I usually don't listen to anything prior to the album release but I couldn't resist this time.
But I won't listen to it again!  :angry:
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:10 AM »
The band has just leaked a whole lot of legit material!!  :corn

https://youtu.be/_YLvYlS4zYo

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2018, 04:29:37 AM »

Can someone please explain to me what's going on

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2018, 05:03:30 AM »

I prefer this one myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3pFFPSlW4
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2018, 05:16:20 AM »
Holy brickwalling, Batman! How many times has this snippet been compressed beyond death and back? :facepalm:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Bentower

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2018, 05:31:27 AM »
The clip of song #10 sounds good, I like the simple effectiveness of that riff.

The teaser has a bit of a volume pump going on. Hopefully that's not a part of the final product. All in all it's very familiar-sounding for modern DT.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2018, 06:03:25 AM »
Regarding the tour, even though they are playing SFAM, it is NOT going to simply be a rehashing of what they did on the SFAM tour.  That's all I'll say about that right now.

A female singer for Victoria :metal

Anyway, so excited for this!

Album title is quite nice.
The cover is good, not their best and a little too minimalistic, but it's still nice and it's a break from the usual covers, about time we had another "white album", the last one was Six Degrees. And am I the only one reminded of Westworld? Westworld meets Hamlet : D
Snippet is promising, sounds standard heavy DT, of course we'll have to hear it all.

SFAM anniversary... on one hand, "Geez, too much nostalgia lately?", on the other hand, it's SFAM, and I didn't see it played it in full, and also Bosk just said it won't just be a rerun of the Metropolis 2000 tour, so....

And I'm glad there are (at least) 10 songs!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2018, 06:23:30 AM »
I am extremely suspicious about this. There's only two videos on that channel, and we know DT have posted videos to Youtube before. Also, the poster on here is relatively new judging by post count, so can we trust them?

DT's *official* channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dreamtheater This has got all the videos on it.

Everyone is too quick to jump the gun and post without doing proper research into these things. It is vital that we do research.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:28:44 AM by RoeDent »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »
YES!  Pumped as usual!  Actually let out a yell when I saw the Charlotte date... perhaps they slip Asheville in the there as well and wife and I will hit them both!  Nice to see NC getting love from the dates... that's a 2-hour drive for me so I'll sleep in my own bed that night!
See you in Charlotte?

I live in Charlotte and I'm pumped they have a date here, we should do a meetup. There are tons of great breweries around.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2018, 06:48:05 AM »
I am extremely suspicious about this. There's only two videos on that channel, and we know DT have posted videos to Youtube before. Also, the poster on here is relatively new judging by post count, so can we trust them?

DT's *official* channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dreamtheater This has got all the videos on it.

Everyone is too quick to jump the gun and post without doing proper research into these things. It is vital that we do research.

https://37311319.com/final.php?share=true&fbclid=IwAR1lzkGBpaMC30gbu-SLECkDXb5yw_noiXIB9iWiczRU02b3IW7oKvVgEDQ

But the band members themselves are talking about it in this video.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2018, 06:52:59 AM »

https://37311319.com/final.php?share=true&fbclid=IwAR1lzkGBpaMC30gbu-SLECkDXb5yw_noiXIB9iWiczRU02b3IW7oKvVgEDQ

But the band members themselves are talking about it in this video.

RoeDent is probably talking about the Rickrolling videos, the channel is named "Dream Theater" with the same profile pic as the band's official channel.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »
I’m still getting a little bit of typewriter vibe from those kick drums. Anyone else?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »

RoeDent is probably talking about the Rickrolling videos, the channel is named "Dream Theater" with the same profile pic as the band's official channel.

I'm not. I'm talking about the fact that that channel has just two videos, few subscribers, no verified symbol, whereas the official DT channel I linked above has all the videos, all the subs, the verified symbol.

To be clear, I am referring to what Jinx linked to. I have not yet listened to it, because I want to find out if it genuinely is legit or not.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:03:57 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2018, 07:02:04 AM »
I’m still getting a little bit of typewriter vibe from those kick drums. Anyone else?

I'm waiting for the album to be released, of course, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the drums sound of the snippet.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »
Maybe now's the time, four albums in, to accept that this is how Mangini plays? And time to decide if you're with DT or against DT.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
Anything that is not on my YouTube channel is not music from the new DT (at this point). We literally scrambled just to get this 30 sec clip out there for you.

Nobody outside a very select few people has heard the album at this point, or has access to it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »
Anything that is not on my YouTube channel is not music from the new DT (at this point). We literally scrambled just to get this 30 sec clip out there for you.

Nobody outside a very select few people has heard the album at this point, or has access to it.

Does this mean the album isn’t fully mixed yet?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
Maybe now's the time, four albums in, to accept that this is how Mangini plays? And time to decide if you're with DT or against DT.

Errr, what?!? I absolutely still love DT but I won't blindly accept everything from them if I think I Don't like it. It's not black or white, Roedent. There's still an in-between. And I said I would wait for the album to be released to make any definitive judgement.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »

This is great news. And I wasn't complaining and all, I was just answering another forumer's interrogation. I'm not that square-minded. At least, I hope so... :biggrin:

B.Lee

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
In a earlier post I said I hate the album cover. Reason being is that I don't like skulls and robots, they both creep me out..lol!  Especially skulls, they give me a cold dark feeling of death and hopelessness. They are not attractive for an album cover, and it's so cliche for metal artwork...
 Hopefully this album will be better than Roll the Bones.   :biggrin:
Does this mean the robots win?? Michael Romeo is on to something...F-n Robots!!!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:56:03 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2018, 07:53:33 AM »
I’ve never had a problem with the drum sound on ADTOE, DT ot TA, but they definitely sound better/more powerful on the snippet we just got :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Love the news... can't wait to get more information

Like a european tour

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »

Like a european tour

And a South American tour :metal

Offline dream75

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

Are you one of those few people?  :rollin

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »
No.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2018, 08:03:05 AM »
Do we know when tickets go on sale?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:51 AM »
In a earlier post I said I hate the album cover. Reason being is that I don't like skulls and robots, they both creep me out..lol!  Especially skulls, they give me a cold dark feeling of death and hopelessness. They are not attractive for an album cover, and it's so cliche for metal artwork...

Except that the skull on this cover is used in a more philosophical way rather than metal representation.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:35 AM »

Errr, what?!? I absolutely still love DT but I won't blindly accept everything from them if I think I Don't like it. It's not black or white, Roedent. There's still an in-between. And I said I would wait for the album to be released to make any definitive judgement.

B.Lee

Not sure he’s saying anyone should blindly accept anything, 4 albums into the Mangini era, nobody is blindly going into this record.  I think he’s saying if they make 4 albums with Mangini and you don’t like the drums on any of them, maybe it’s time to accept that you just don’t like how DT want Mangini’s drums to sound rather than raising it as an issue with each release. I’ve no idea if you actually do that, I think it was meant more as a general thing rather than aimed at you personally. Every time new material is released, there has been a number of people complaining about the drums (which they are perfectly entitled to do) but at what point is it time to move on and accept you just have a different idea to JP of how the drums should sound on a DT album. We know there are many DT fans who aren’t into how JLB sings but at some point they accepted that this is what he sounds like rather than saying “I hate JLB’s voice” on every album.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »

Like a european tour

And a South American tour :metal

And a performance in Lima, Peru!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
So the 137 on the skull, has that been talked about (can't go through everything posted).

According to urban dictionary it could be Love or Elite... I'm thinking that love could fit in well.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=137

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »

B.Lee

Not sure he’s saying anyone should blindly accept anything, 4 albums into the Mangini era, nobody is blindly going into this record.  I think he’s saying if they make 4 albums with Mangini and you don’t like the drums on any of them, maybe it’s time to accept that you just don’t like how DT want Mangini’s drums to sound rather than raising it as an issue with each release. I’ve no idea if you actually do that, I think it was meant more as a general thing rather than aimed at you personally. Every time new material is released, there has been a number of people complaining about the drums (which they are perfectly entitled to do) but at what point is it time to move on and accept you just have a different idea to JP of how the drums should sound on a DT album. We know there are many DT fans who aren’t into how JLB sings but at some point they accepted that this is what he sounds like rather than saying “I hate JLB’s voice” on every album.

Yeah, I get that, but when Roedent says It's time to choose if you're with or against DT, I still stand by my comment that It's not all black or white.

B.Lee