Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252218 times)

Offline TheRich13

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
Is there no Majesty symbol on the cover ? Or am I not seeing it  ?
Thanks !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2018, 07:35:56 PM »
I’d be ok with selections that weren’t played on the DT12 tour - namely Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, etc.

I’m hoping for Beyond this Life and/or Home.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/588847477799632/posts/2480996321918062/

I kinda like this snippet more than the first. Sounded Rush-esque.

Excited for this release.

It all sounds good, but I LOVE the last 7 seconds.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »
Thanks !

On the wrist.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
Thanks !

See the wrist holding the skull

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
OK....my thoughts...

1- Love the cover. Just love it.
2- Digging the snippet, love the chunky guitars. Pretty stoked about the album.
3- Curious about SFAM. I did see it on it's original tour, curious to see what treatment they give it here.
4- Stoked that they're back in San Francisco, hopefully that means they're at the Warfield which is a much better venue in my eyes than the Fox in Oakland. Also stoked we're not the first on the tour, that way JLB has a few shows to get the pipes warmed up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
Bummer to see no St. Louis date, but it's great to see real news about the forthcoming studio album.

I rarely get excited about bands playing old albums in full anymore, as it seems everyone does that nowadays, and I saw them twice on the Metropolis: 2000 tour, so I'd rather they do a handful of Scenes songs rather than the whole thing, but I get that those who didn't see them play back in full back then will be thrilled to see it this time.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »
I wore my DT12 shirt today!  What a coincidence!

I like the future vs. past and simplicity of the cover.  Most of their cover art has been dark colors.  Nice to have a change.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:11 PM »
They’re sticking with the futuristic dystopian theme I see.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
How do we know it's dystopian?  How do we know it's just the future and not the past?  There's an old piece of human on the cover as well.  How do we know it doesn't encompass both and take us on a journey through time?  Even the title:  Distance Over Time suggests a journey and not just the future.

Here we go with the wild theories based on almost nothing that some people will ultimately perceive as factual without even waiting to hear the whole thing.  Remember what happened when the Octavarium cover was revealed and how many people jumped on the "it sucks/the music will suck" bandwagon?  That was sad and MP had to post about being patient to see the whole concept and it ended up being quite awesome with probably the best album artwork they've ever had.

TL;DR - Enjoy the lead-up to the album but don't judge it before you actually hear it and see all the artwork.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
I get that those who didn't see them play back in full back then will be thrilled to see it this time.

I don't. I get that there may be regret for those who couldn't have seen those shows, but it is 20 years later. The band is different, in terms of membership and live performance standards, and what their vocalist can do, and has a more extensive back catalog to draw from. I'd rather a diverse set focusing on new material by a factor of 100.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline AikeaGuinea

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
Glad to see a San Diego date!!!!! Considering they have an album coming out, are they gonna handle the Scenes' anniversary the same way they handled that of Awake on the Along For The Ride Tour? Maybe have Scene II the same way they played the Second half of Awake. I really won't mind the album in it's entirety, but I feel that it is quite steep to play a 70+ min album when you have a new album to promote. I rlly dont worry how it turns out, Im really excited they're back in San Diego!!!!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
I get that those who didn't see them play back in full back then will be thrilled to see it this time.

I don't. I get that there may be regret for those who couldn't have seen those shows, but it is 20 years later. The band is different, in terms of membership and live performance standards, and what their vocalist can do, and has a more extensive back catalog to draw from. I'd rather a diverse set focusing on new material by a factor of 100.

New fan of 2.75 years. 1st new album! ( I am dying over here! )  Scenes was my first favorite - I listened to it non-stop for quite a long while. That said, as long as they play Home, I will be good. Of course it is going to be great no matter what for me, but Home has got to be heard live!!! The cover is cool, wonder what the 137 means???

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »

Pretty over all these anniversary shows.  I just want an awesome and well rounded setlist. 
Yeah, I'm not so keen on that either. Everything else looks/sounds great though!

Although I still love the anniversary concept, having seen SFAM in its entirety 5 times, plus the 2014 anniversary dates (x3), I'm less enthused to have SFAM takes up half of the setlist.  But I'm happy for Progmetty and those that are stoked to celebrate the album.  For me, I'd like to see a good chunk of new material for the first leg, balanced by a broad representation of the DT catalog for the remaining set.  Maybe save SFAM for a later Fall 2019 leg.

I can't tell you how not happy I'll be if they are playing SFAM in its entirety. Between that and the I&W tour last year, they're getting dangerously close to Queensryche territory.

I understand your concern TAC, but I'm pretty confident that won't be the case and I'm willing to bet this is the last time an anniversary tour will take place for a good while. See I think SFAM was the last universally liked DT album that warrants an anniversary tour. I think there are 3 kinds of people who listen to DT; 1. general metal folks, 2. general prog folks and 3. devoted DT fans. SFAM is the last album that managed to satisfy the biggest portion of all 3 IMO.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:18:01 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
How do we know it's dystopian?  How do we know it's just the future and not the past?  There's an old piece of human on the cover as well.  How do we know it doesn't encompass both and take us on a journey through time?  Even the title:  Distance Over Time suggests a journey and not just the future.

Here we go with the wild theories based on almost nothing that some people will ultimately perceive as factual without even waiting to hear the whole thing.  Remember what happened when the Octavarium cover was revealed and how many people jumped on the "it sucks/the music will suck" bandwagon?  That was sad and MP had to post about being patient to see the whole concept and it ended up being quite awesome with probably the best album artwork they've ever had.

TL;DR - Enjoy the lead-up to the album but don't judge it before you actually hear it and see all the artwork.

Chill bro. Was a minor observation

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Glad to see a San Diego date!!!!! Considering they have an album coming out, are they gonna handle the Scenes' anniversary the same way they handled that of Awake on the Along For The Ride Tour? Maybe have Scene II the same way they played the Second half of Awake. I really won't mind the album in it's entirety, but I feel that it is quite steep to play a 70+ min album when you have a new album to promote. I rlly dont worry how it turns out, Im really excited they're back in San Diego!!!!

That's kind of how I'd like to see it handled as well, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline AikeaGuinea

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »

Pretty over all these anniversary shows.  I just want an awesome and well rounded setlist. 
Yeah, I'm not so keen on that either. Everything else looks/sounds great though!
Although I still love the anniversary concept, having seen SFAM in its entirety 5 times, plus the 2014 anniversary dates (x3), I'm less enthused to have SFAM takes up half of the setlist.  But I'm happy for Progmetty and those that are stoked to celebrate the album.  For me, I'd like to see a good chunk of new material for the first leg, balanced by a broad representation of the DT catalog for the remaining set.  Maybe save SFAM for a later Fall 2019 leg.

I can't tell you how not happy I'll be if they are playing SFAM in its entirety. Between that and the I&W tour last year, they're getting dangerously close to Queensryche territory.

I understand your concern TAC, but I'm pretty confident that won't be the cast and I'm willing to be this is the last time an anniversary tour will take place for a good while. See I think SFAM was the last universally liked DT album that warrants an anniversary tour. I think there are 3 kinds of people who listen to DT; 1. general metal folks, 2. general prog folks and 3. devoted DT fans. SFAM is the last album that managed to satisfy the biggest portion of all 3 IMO.
Same, I feel this would be the last anniversary album in a while, I personally don't mind "Scenes" in its entirety, I was still an Infant when it got released in 1999 (1 year old to be exact), and since being a fan of the band since 2011 I've been bombed out I never got to experience this album in its entirety; I did get to experience that little Scenes encore at the Fox Theater in Riverside back in 2014, it was majestic but I wanted the full package! I feel this is the ultimate chance to see them perform an album that I loved so much as a teenager. Funny, I remember thinking to myself after the show in 2014, I can't wait for the "Scene" 20th Anniversary show, it's gonna be incredible, and here we are 5 years later watching these thoughts become (probably) a reality. Furthermore, I personally do understand the long-term DT fans feelings towards these anniversary events since they have been popping up frequently these past four years. We had a 30th, 25th, and now 20th-anniversary tours in a batch of four years, and honestly, this might be the last one in stores for a while. Until Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, who knows they'll do for that one, I'm getting ahead of myself there, lol.  For future anniversary shows, they show do one-offs like they did for "When Dream And Day Unite" for its 15th-anniversary show in LA.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »
It breaks my heart to be reminded that people born in the late 90's are no longer children :lol:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
I have seen the tour for EVERY album except SFAM (well...and WDADU, but hardly anyone saw that, so it barely counts).     So I am probably the biggest and oldest DT fan that has never seen SFAM performed in its entirety.    ...and wouldn't it just figure that it would be this particular tour that they skip the Pacific Northwest.    :facepalm:

But I am hopeful that there will be another North American leg that will remedy this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »
Get down here and see it with us in Austin jammindude!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »

Fly to Texas on a weekday.....rrrriiiiiigggggghhhhhtttttttt.    :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
It breaks my heart to be reminded that people born in the late 90's are no longer children :lol:

SFAM was released 11 days before I was born.

I'm almost 19  ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2018, 10:48:15 PM »

Fly to Texas on a weekday.....rrrriiiiiigggggghhhhhtttttttt.    :rollin

Oh I just realized it's gonna be a Monday, Tuesday and a Wednesday!
The stars are so perfectly aligned for me to go to these shows and it's gonna be the start of my days off and it's weekdays so it won't be as difficult to get tickets. A thing of beauty! So many scheduling conflicts kept me from the last two tours but this time I really got lucky! This is so good that there's a good chance I'll somehow die before then cause pretty much nothing else could stop it hehe

I'm almost 19  ;D

That's absolutely devastating heh

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
I was 4 when SFAM was released, so I don't mind them playing it in full again :biggrin: (we don't even know that's happening, though).

Whatever, they'll probably skip my country anyway :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2018, 10:57:02 PM »
I was 4 when SFAM was released, so I don't mind them playing it in full again :biggrin: (we don't even know that's happening, though).

If you come to Rio de Janeiro (or Săo Paulo, gawd forbid), I'll be glad to share a beer with a fellow South American from DTF  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »

If you come to Rio de Janeiro (or Săo Paulo, gawd forbid), I'll be glad to share a beer with a fellow South American from DTF  :metal

I would if I had the money :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2018, 11:10:13 PM »
Chill bro. Was a minor observation

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2018, 11:16:12 PM »
How has no one picked up on the fact that DISTANCE / TIME = SPEED ?

The title is the formula for calculating speed. This obviously means it'll be a SPEED metal album...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline AikeaGuinea

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »

I'm almost 19  ;D
I was born 7 months before SFAM :').

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »
'93 batch here, 6 years before SFAM. Hehe

But I'm not THAT interested in seeing the whole thing together. As someone said a few posts early, a nice selection with the SFAM unplayed songs of the 2014 tour would be great.

Bolacha>>>>Biscoito

They already played SFAM in its entirety on an extra set in Săo Paulo, 2005 If I'm not mistaken.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2018, 12:08:18 AM »
Title: Love it!

Album art: Not my favorite from them, but at the same time I kinda like the simplicity. I wonder if Syme is behind the art?

Snippet: First thing I noticed was JP's slightly different guitar tone. I think it's an improvement. Second thing was that it sounds quite energetic, a bit of Systematic Chaos which is not a bad thing! Then again, not much to go on yet.

I'd like to know when the European tour will be announced. I'd love to hear SFAM played in it's entirety!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2018, 01:10:43 AM »
Yes! This sounds great.   ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:20 AM »
What do you guys think of the cover?
I think Hugh Syme has upped his game!

I’d been a bit tired of his style for a while (loved Octavarium and Systematic Chaos - the rest, ehhh...) but this one has all the hallmarks of a Syme piece and looks gorgeous. Big, big fan!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »
I wonder if Syme is behind the art?

The last password in treasure hunt was Syme2018 so I'm almost sure it's Syme.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline dream75

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2018, 03:05:40 AM »
Song 10? I thought no more than 8 🤔
https://youtu.be/O5rxmfa8OPA
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:25:00 AM by dream75 »