Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252251 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Awesome art, awesome sample, awesome name. Fingers crossed I can make Chicago.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
 :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »
Cover art reminds me of Tremonti's A Dying Machine.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Pettor

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
Super promising! Love the sound of the snippets! Also the name and artwork is the best in years! God damit, I told myself not to be hyped  :mehlin

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
I hate the cover,  but the snippet sounds awesome!   :metal
Looks like they're skipping the Pacific Northwest again for this tour. :censored

They haven't skipped us since Octavarium....

They skipped us on the last tour, I&W and Beyond.  They also skipped us on the BC&SL tour, but kind of made up for it when they played the White river Amphitheatre with Maiden a year later..
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:18:57 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
Looks like they're skipping the Pacific Northwest again for this tour. :censored

They skipped us on the last tour, I&W and Beyond.

and was flippen pissed about that too. This is a massive market. Gotta pray they add some dates here before San Diego, or at least Portland or Vancouver. uggggggg

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »
This snippet reminds me somehow of Moment of Betrayal and Behind The Veil... Not that it's a bad thing, but shows a characteristic style of the present line up. Listening to it in loop till now  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:26 PM »

They skipped us on the last tour, I&W and Beyond.

and was flippen pissed about that too. This is a massive market. Gotta pray they add some dates here before San Diego, or at least Portland or Vancouver. uggggggg
I wonder if the promoters are skeptical about Seattle after the poor turnout for TA show? They shouldn't gauge it by that since it was an unusual album and tour. I loved it though!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »
I'm having a colossal boner over the prospect of seeing SFAM played in it's entirety, a dream come true. It was on my mind that the anniversary was coming up but I didn't wanna get my hopes up about a tour, so fuckin happy today!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
I wouldn't want all of Scenes played since they did some of it on the DT12 tour and DVD. I think they should just mix it up from their catalog and feature the new album.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Another comment on the audio snippet... Is JP singing in the backing vocals too? Since ADToE JLB took all the vocal duties.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 05:57:42 PM »
Two nights in LA in March?  I'll probably be there for one of them, depending on work schedule and ticket prices.  Just got to wait to see the announcement on what venue they will play in.  Probably The Wiltern.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/588847477799632/posts/2480996321918062/

I kinda like this snippet more than the first. Sounded Rush-esque.

Excited for this release.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
Regarding the tour, even though they are playing SFAM, it is NOT going to simply be a rehashing of what they did on the SFAM tour.  That's all I'll say about that right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
Don't need them to, SFAM is more than enough  ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2018, 06:02:26 PM »
Regarding the tour, even though they are playing SFAM, it is NOT going to simply be a rehashing of what they did on the SFAM tour.  That's all I'll say about that right now.

So you are confirming that they're playing the ENTIRE album? Not just a suite or anything?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »

They skipped us on the last tour, I&W and Beyond.  They also skipped us on the BC&SL tour, but kind of made up for it when they played the White river Amphitheatre with Maiden a year later..

I was thinking album tours...but you are correct.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »

Dream Theater confirmed to play SFAM backwards, starting with Finally Free and ending with Metropolis pt. 1 :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »

Pretty over all these anniversary shows.  I just want an awesome and well rounded setlist. 
Yeah, I'm not so keen on that either. Everything else looks/sounds great though!

Although I still love the anniversary concept, having seen SFAM in its entirety 5 times, plus the 2014 anniversary dates (x3), I'm less enthused to have SFAM takes up half of the setlist.  But I'm happy for Progmetty and those that are stoked to celebrate the album.  For me, I'd like to see a good chunk of new material for the first leg, balanced by a broad representation of the DT catalog for the remaining set.  Maybe save SFAM for a later Fall 2019 leg.

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
OK I totally understand from that point of view, but.... I never got to see Scenes in its entirety. (Closest I came was Shattered Fortress in NYC last year) - But I digress......

I programmed my kids to be into DT from the time they were toddlers. My now 15 year old daughter is such a fan, Scenes is her favorite album EVER. The idea that I could take her to see DT do this start to finish for one set, then another set of new album plus catalog, TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

I took the kids to Astonishing and I&W 25th. Both were awesome. I am planning to do VIP to get them to meet the band this time. So again, I get the old-timer fan perspective of not seeing SFAM over and over, I missed it somehow, and a whole new generation can be brought up to speed this way - and really, if there is any album to share as a complete unit - THIS IS IT!

It will be a great tour no matter what

Pretty over all these anniversary shows.  I just want an awesome and well rounded setlist. 
Yeah, I'm not so keen on that either. Everything else looks/sounds great though!

Although I still love the anniversary concept, having seen SFAM in its entirety 5 times, plus the 2014 anniversary dates (x3), I'm less enthused to have SFAM takes up half of the setlist.  But I'm happy for Progmetty and those that are stoked to celebrate the album.  For me, I'd like to see a good chunk of new material for the first leg, balanced by a broad representation of the DT catalog for the remaining set.  Maybe save SFAM for a later Fall 2019 leg.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
I wonder if the promoters are skeptical about Seattle after the poor turnout for TA show? They shouldn't gauge it by that since it was an unusual album and tour. I loved it though!

Didn't realize it had a poor turnout, but didn't concern myself with that. I can easily make a trip to PDX to see them  but no further. But a tour devoted to a 20 year old album is less compelling to me that a tour supporting a brand new album (albeit one I have yet to hear).

Is "returning to one's roots" getting used way, way too often these days?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »

I can't tell you how not happy I'll be if they are playing SFAM in its entirety. Between that and the I&W tour last year, they're getting dangerously close to Queensryche territory.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »

Dream Theater confirmed to play SFAM backwards, starting with Finally Free and ending with Metropolis pt. 1 :biggrin:
They could do a medley version of SFAM  :lol

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Images and Word 25 felt somewhat like that, as a follow up to the mixed-reception of The Astonishing.

But wow, looks like we are getting the best of both worlds here. Revisiting arguably their greatest album, AND supporting a new album release.

Didn't realize it had a poor turnout, but didn't concern myself with that. I can easily make a trip to PDX to see them  but no further. But a tour devoted to a 20 year old album is less compelling to me that a tour supporting a brand new album (albeit one I have yet to hear).

Is "returning to one's roots" getting used way, way too often these days?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »

They could do a medley version of SFAM  :lol

Scenes From A Medley.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Probably unpopular opinion: if I listened this snippet without knowing it's Dream Theater I would say it's James' upcoming solo album teaser.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
Not sure why you'd consider that unpopular.

Meanwhile, Derrick Rose takes a page from the DT playbook.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25159683/derrick-rose-minnesota-timberwolves-vows-legacy-unfinished-making-history
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2018, 06:54:28 PM »
Question about the tour - do bands normally announce the cities and the follow later with the venue.   Makes me a bit nervous since Nashville was announced last tour and the venue stage footprint was not acceptable for the tour.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
Some bands do the "announce cities first, venue later" method.  I know Disturbed did that for their upcoming tour.  Don't know why that's a viable method though.  What venues they play in is important.  I mean I know DT won't play in a craphole in LA, but there's plenty of venues out there (that can accommodate crowds as low as 1,500 people to as high as maybe 3,000-4,000 people)  in many different locations of the LA area that can accommodate DT and I hope it's in an area that I can get to in the least amount of traffic (which is impossible in LA, especially on a Thursday and Friday evening).

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »
Love the album cover, snippet is just ok for me, sounds a little bit DT by numbers. Obviously only a few seconds and am in no way prejudging the album or even that song, just giving my initial reaction to the very small song snippet.

In terms of them playing SFAM in it’s entirety, that would be surprising to me on a tour in which they are promoting a new record. They also gave the impression, from memory, back on the tour for that album that this was the one and only time you’d get to see it. I wouldn’t begrudge them going back to it 19/20 years later and the SFAM songs sounded amazing on the DT14 tour so I’m sure it would be awesome to hear again. It’s a surprise for me though if they do, especially just coming off the back of the I&W in it’s entirety tour.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »
something ANYTHING to wash the stain of "The Astonishing" from my mind. 

fix'd

To lead into the initial release of material, an Alternate Reality Game has launched

Mayhap this is a reality where The Astonishing doesn't exist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »
Some bands do the "announce cities first, venue later" method.  I know Disturbed did that for their upcoming tour.  Don't know why that's a viable method though.  What venues they play in is important.  I mean I know DT won't play in a craphole in LA, but there's plenty of venues out there (that can accommodate crowds as low as 1,500 people to as high as maybe 3,000-4,000 people)  in many different locations of the LA area that can accommodate DT and I hope it's in an area that I can get to in the least amount of traffic (which is impossible in LA, especially on a Thursday and Friday evening).

Surely, at the point the tickets actually go on sale though, you’ll know what the venue is. That would have to be the case wouldn’t it once they start allocating seats or knowing how many standing tickets they are allowed to sell.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2018, 07:26:21 PM »
I’d be ok with selections that weren’t played on the DT12 tour - namely Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, etc.