Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255132 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #840 on: November 19, 2018, 06:03:18 AM »
DT confirmed to be playing Download Festival in UK next year.

Guess this means the 2019 Europe tour will be festivals, and we'll have to wait for early 2020 for a full tour. Drat!

https://downloadfestival.co.uk/news-features/slayer-the-smashing-pumpkins-dream-theater-more-announced/
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #841 on: November 19, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »
That would be really really bad. What would be better is an arena tour in autumn or something.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: November 19, 2018, 06:41:28 AM »
That would be really really bad. What would be better is an arena tour in autumn or something.

It has become quite common to do summer festivals as a way to promote upcoming gigs in the same country in the following months.
I’m sure that at some point they’ll bring the full show to Europe.

- all of this assuming they’re going to do just festivals in their first European run, which i’m not sure.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #843 on: November 19, 2018, 06:52:57 AM »
A lot of festivals, including Download, do like their bands to be exclusive, so I can see this being promoted as their only UK show next year - other European festivals will also want similar exclusivity. These may not be exclusive shows, of course, and they may well do other dates, I'd have to say early 2020 is far more likely.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #844 on: November 19, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »
I think it's an honor to do such festivals among so many other greats. It can only be good for them.  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #845 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
A lot of festivals, including Download, do like their bands to be exclusive, so I can see this being promoted as their only UK show next year - other European festivals will also want similar exclusivity. These may not be exclusive shows, of course, and they may well do other dates, I'd have to say early 2020 is far more likely.

Also, when this happens, they announce a proper headline show after the festival, to capitalize on the "wow, can't wait to see them again" factor, and to not let you think "I'll skip the festival because they'll play some months later as headliners anyway".

Anyway, they can't really pay tribute to the 20 years of Scenes if they tour as headliners Europe in 2020, can't they?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: November 19, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
I think it's an honor to do such festivals among so many other greats. It can only be good for them.  :metal

Agreed.  I think it stinks to not get the full show for the DT fans, but it's good for the band to be apart of the metal community and get exposure to new people plus if you attend you not only get DT, you get to check out tons of other bands as well.  Download is actually looking like a really awesome line up this year, and DT has their logo on the current poster which is cool (not just the small font printed bands). 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #847 on: November 19, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
A lot of festivals, including Download, do like their bands to be exclusive
For headliners, sure, but DT aren't headlining.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #848 on: November 19, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
Playing Download next year means we'll get at least some kind of pro shot footage from their show, right? :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #849 on: November 19, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
Doing Download will bring them exposure, which is fine.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

« Reply #850 on: November 19, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
But doesn't that kind of break the point of what Petrucci just said? "evening"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #851 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
No.  This is separate.  They announced a complete leg of "evening with" dates.  A summer festival tour or subsequent tour legs have nothing to do with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #852 on: November 19, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
No.  This is separate.  They announced a complete leg of "evening with" dates.  A summer festival tour or subsequent tour legs have nothing to do with that.

Yes, It's not the first time they have done that.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #853 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
They didn't, the Mexico one isn't  :(
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #854 on: November 19, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »

So SFAM only for this US run, we won’t get it in Europe/UK?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:06:19 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #855 on: November 19, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
I don't know.  All I know is the dates that have been announced.  I am assuming it will go to Europe too, but I don't know for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #856 on: November 19, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »

The confusing part to me is that the Mexico date is announced together with the "evening with" shows, but it seems that they will be playing in a festival instead (I hope that's not the case, we will see once further details are announced).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: November 19, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »

The confusing part to me is that the Mexico date is announced together with the "evening with" shows, but it seems that they will be playing in a festival instead (I hope that's not the case, we will see once further details are announced).

I do wonder if that's just a mistake since it seems easy to have that lumped in with the rest of the NA evening with tour.  Will be interesting to see if they do a festival set list for this show and if it will be the same as the one they do in Europe. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #858 on: November 19, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
Changing the subject slightly, I’m starting to enjoy the teaser a lot more. I was a little underwhelmed upon first hearing it but starting to really enjoy it, as much as you can really enjoy a 37 second teaser anyway!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: November 19, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »
Changing the subject slightly, I’m starting to enjoy the teaser a lot more. I was a little underwhelmed upon first hearing it but starting to really enjoy it, as much as you can really enjoy a 37 second teaser anyway!

I never really understood the point of listening to teasers over and over again.  Maybe twice max for me is it truthfully.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #860 on: November 19, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »

I do wonder if that's just a mistake since it seems easy to have that lumped in with the rest of the NA evening with tour.  Will be interesting to see if they do a festival set list for this show and if it will be the same as the one they do in Europe.

It has been announced that the show will be in Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, which is basically Foro Sol, where the Hell & Heaven will be held.

It might be interesting for outsiders, but here it's quite frustrating.
I HOPE they include us later, like they did on The Astonishing tour, where they announced dates gradually, and Mexico was not included until much later.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline PetFish

« Reply #861 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
I never really understood the point of listening to teasers over and over again.  Maybe twice max for me is it truthfully.

Word.

I'll listen to a single multiple times but a teaser is like reading three random sentences from a book over and over.

Movie trailers fall somewhere in between but even those I generally watch once or twice if it's a movie I really want to see and don't want to be spoiler'd too much.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #862 on: November 19, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
My "guess" is that after the N.A. evening with tour, the band will then do the festival thing in Europe in June & july, then return to N.A. later in summer for a package tour (maybe w Queensryche & Haken???). After that, back to the evening with format for tours of S.A., Asia & back to Europe later in year.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #863 on: November 19, 2018, 08:00:05 PM »
My "guess" is that after the N.A. evening with tour, the band will then do the festival thing in Europe in June & july, then return to N.A. later in summer for a package tour (maybe w Queensryche & Haken???). After that, back to the evening with format for tours of S.A., Asia & back to Europe later in year.

That would truly suck since they also skipped Seattle on the SFaM tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #864 on: November 19, 2018, 08:03:16 PM »
I'd be shocked if they did a NA package tour. That isn't their MO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #865 on: November 19, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

That would truly suck since they also skipped Seattle on the SFaM tour.

SFAM has never been played in Mexico in its entirety
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #866 on: November 20, 2018, 06:31:18 AM »

Word.

I'll listen to a single multiple times but a teaser is like reading three random sentences from a book over and over.

Movie trailers fall somewhere in between but even those I generally watch once or twice if it's a movie I really want to see and don't want to be spoiler'd too much.

What can I say, it's the only new DT we have so, every now and again, I throw it on for 30 seconds.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #867 on: November 20, 2018, 07:05:18 AM »

Yeah I totally agree, that would surprise me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #868 on: November 20, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »
Truly.

And if they did one with Queensryche, I would cry.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LightCurves

« Reply #869 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »
Most probably they will do a mixture of solo dates/festival slots in the summer and will do another round of Europe in fall 19/or spring 20. As always. As every band. I don't think they're big enough that festival promotors would care about them being "exclusive" - apart from the odd prog-festival.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #870 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Truly.

IF they toured with QR, they'd be the last to play, right?
I can't wait to see DT again, but if they'd do a double thing with QR, I'd seriously consider not going.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #871 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
Yes, me neither. 3 hours (or thereabouts) of DT and that's it. No more, no less.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #872 on: November 20, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
Truly.

IF they toured with QR, they'd be the last to play, right?
I can't wait to see DT again, but if they'd do a double thing with QR, I'd seriously consider not going.

At that time, DT and QR were more or less equals. DT has grown bigger since then, and Queensryche lost the trademark singer (ok, he's a douche, blablabla, he's still the original singer and the one present on all classic albums) and recently also the longtime drummer, after many lackluster albums. No way they'd co-headline now.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: November 20, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
I dont think so either, DT are the bigger band at the moment.

I'd love to see a nice progmetal threesome but I have no expectations of that happening and I'm not sure having those three would even be big enough for a summer shed tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #874 on: November 20, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't see a co-headlining tour either.  But I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see QR open for DT.