Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 262788 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #805 on: November 15, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
I don't see why a band can't pay some 18 year old $20 to do the same thing and get the same results.

I'm not 18, I'm 44, and I'll do it for tree-fiddy.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #806 on: November 15, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
I don't see why a band can't pay some 18 year old $20 to do the same thing and get the same results.

I'm not 18, I'm 44, and I'll do it for tree-fiddy.

Get out of here you god damn Lochness monster!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #807 on: November 15, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
 :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #808 on: November 15, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »

I'm not 18, I'm 44, and I'll do it for free-tiddy.

ftfy
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #809 on: November 15, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
But Mommm, we gotta save Chef from the succubus!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #810 on: November 15, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
Yea, if any cover is a train wreck, it's the ToT cover.
Too bad they only got Dave McKean to do one.
That or the guy who did the artwork for TA. I may not be a huge fan of the music itself (some is great, but more not so much for different reasons), but I certainly cannot complain about the artwork. I particularly like the way he incorporated the majesty symbol into the design of the NOMACs, instead of the way Hugh just seems to slap it on the cover as an afterthought - with this album, ADToE and BCaSL in particular.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: November 15, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »
ADTOE and BC&SL looks like Color Forms.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #812 on: November 15, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Color forms?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: November 15, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
Good old Hugh.  :lol

Not sure what that means or why it is somehow a knock on Syme.  Using stock images is kind of a standard thing these days (hence why an organization as large and reputable as the NYT did and does).

Yup, I actually use stock images weekly for my job. It wasn't really a knock, it was just more me remembering how Hugh puts his artwork together, that's all.

lazily?

Offline Pettor

« Reply #814 on: November 16, 2018, 05:31:29 AM »
Feels a bit strange with Scenes From A Memory celebration since it was quite recently celebrated. But I do love SFAM so shouldn't be complaining, just hope SDOIT gets some love live finally. Not sure why they keep avoiding that masterpiece :huh:

Anyway regarding new album, hoping for tracklist, single or something tasty soon. The teaser is cool, the artwork is great but now the taste for more is even bigger ;D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #815 on: November 16, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
Good old Hugh.  :lol

Not sure what that means or why it is somehow a knock on Syme.  Using stock images is kind of a standard thing these days (hence why an organization as large and reputable as the NYT did and does).

Yup, I actually use stock images weekly for my job. It wasn't really a knock, it was just more me remembering how Hugh puts his artwork together, that's all.

lazily?

:lol

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #816 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:22 AM »
Yeah, there is one track title in particular that I was looking for to see if they would reveal it.
Hoping for tracklist to see if Metropolis pt.3 is the closing track or it's in the middle... :biggrin:

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #817 on: November 16, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
Yeah, there is one track title in particular that I was looking for to see if they would reveal it.
Hoping for tracklist to see if Metropolis pt.3 is the closing track or it's in the middle... :biggrin:

Met3 is in the middle.  "Pull Me Under, Part 2: The Beginning of the End" is the last track.

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #818 on: November 16, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »

Not sure but you know it will be the encore after they play SFAM on tour.  ;)

Offline dream75

« Reply #819 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »

Met3 is in the middle.  "Pull Me Under, Part 2: The Beginning of the End" is the last track.

And Learning To Live part 2 is the first track  :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
There's a concept in copyright law called "striking similarity," and it essentially means that two things are so close to each other than they cannot reasonably be the product of anything other than copying.  Given that DT made this art public on November 2, it seems awfully coincidental that the NYT is using almost the same image for something that's being released on November 18.  If I were DT's management, I'd have the lawyers on the horn pretty quickly.

No, keep the lawyers out of it. This would give them a chance to fix this trainwreck of an album cover before Feb 22..  😈

What's so bad about it that it warrants being called a trainwreck? Looks cool to me.
It just seems so generic to me, lacks imagination.  I'm part of the problem because I hate the sight of skulls.  I just think Dream Theater has too much class to have a skull and a lame robot hand as the centerpiece of their album cover. I know I'm probably missing the point, but I still don't like it.

I think there's a fair distance between "I don't like it" (especially when the dislike is at least partially a result of a personal quirk) and "train wreck."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Color forms?

"Colorforms is a creative toy named for the simple shapes and forms cut from colored vinyl sheeting that cling to a smooth backing surface without adhesives. These pieces are used to create picture graphics and designs, which can then be changed countless times by repositioning the removable color forms."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorforms

"Why don't you met me in the middle?!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
Color forms?

You don’t know what Color Forms are??
You ain’t that young! :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PMA

« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Feels a bit strange with Scenes From A Memory celebration since it was quite recently celebrated. But I do love SFAM so shouldn't be complaining, just hope SDOIT gets some love live finally. Not sure why they keep avoiding that masterpiece :huh:

Anyway regarding new album, hoping for tracklist, single or something tasty soon. The teaser is cool, the artwork is great but now the taste for more is even bigger ;D

Do you really feel they've avoided SDOIT given they released it live with Score?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »
The song or the album?  At this point in time, with so many albums, we as fans just need to acknowledge that they can't fairly represent every album on every tour.  There are always albums that feel underrepresented.  And in fairness, Six Degrees probably has gotten less play than most since that time.  But it has gotten some play.  And even though this lineup isn't quite as OCD as Portnoy was about keeping track of every song and album, and trying to make things super-balanced, they do a decent job.  I would expect to at least get something from disc 1 on this tour cycle just because we haven't for a little while now.  If not, then surely the next one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #825 on: November 16, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
Let's not forget that Six Degrees has six songs, one of them is a 42 minutes long suite, others are either very long or very left-field like Disappear. It's not easy to find always room for these songs in a set also considering, as Bosk just said, that by now there are so many albums that you can only include so much after all....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #826 on: November 16, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
Color forms?
You don’t know what Color Forms are??
You ain’t that young! :P
Well, I don't know them by name. I've seen those things and played around with them a little, but I had no clue as to what they were called. Now that pg1067 explained it, I do and I can see what you're saying (and I agree).

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #827 on: November 16, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »

Not sure but you know it will be the encore after they play SFAM on tour.  ;)

....which means Pt. 1 would have to end the first set!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #828 on: November 16, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
Barstool Warrior is obviously Metrop. Pt.3...you got a drunk (Julian) and a women in a bad relationship (Victoria)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #829 on: November 16, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
Can we drop the Metropolis pt. 3 discussion, please?  It isn't funny, and after several posts in a row, it is taking the thread off topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #830 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
The song or the album?  At this point in time, with so many albums, we as fans just need to acknowledge that they can't fairly represent every album on every tour.  There are always albums that feel underrepresented.  And in fairness, Six Degrees probably has gotten less play than most since that time.  But it has gotten some play.  And even though this lineup isn't quite as OCD as Portnoy was about keeping track of every song and album, and trying to make things super-balanced, they do a decent job. I would expect to at least get something from disc 1 on this tour cycle just because we haven't for a little while now. If not, then surely the next one.

Plus I feel like what you communicate to them is taken reasonably seriously. Wasn't The Glass Prison one of the top deseired songs from the other thread? I'd be surprised to see that this leg. They certainly won't open with it, but I don't think it'd be a bad Set 1 closer.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #831 on: November 16, 2018, 01:11:25 PM »
Alright...

So, are we gonna have a poll to see how we should abbreviate Distance Over Time...

I like D/T, its a nice nod to the bands initials.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #832 on: November 16, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
Alright...

So, are we gonna have a poll to see how we should abbreviate Distance Over Time...

I like D/T, its a nice nod to the bands initials.

D/T it will be for me...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #833 on: November 16, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
DOT
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #834 on: November 16, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »
Talking about SDOIT, I agree that the songs are all pretty long and therefore not always easy to get into a set list. They did try to bring back TGD fairly recently though didn’t they or did I dream that? It’s not a great live song having seen it in the past. I do think it’s very strange that they’ve never (as far as I know) gone back to The Glass Prison, particularly as they know it’s a crowd pleaser and JP actually stated that the audience reaction to that song was one of the reasons for making the TOT album. He mentioned (again from memory) that the crowd really got into that song so they decided to make a whole album in that vein.

Very intrigued about Bosk’s mystery song and can’t wait to hear the first single. I can hear the arguments now. “It’s a bit meh” followed by “don’t worry, they never release the best songs first” etc.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »

Do you really feel they've avoided SDOIT given they released it live with Score?

That was 12 years ago on a live show with orchestra, they didn't play it live on every show during the tour. I mean I get that they have a lot of fans and so many albums, that's hard in itself and everything can't be represented.

But SDOIT is with no doubt the least represented one during the shows I have been to in Sweden. I love the album so much so really anything from it would be fantastic.

I was mostly trying to say that SFAM was very recently represented in a celebration form and now just 3 shows later it's time again. I will be super happy, because the album is awesome, but 8V, TOT and ofc SDOIT will have less time again. But I get SFAM is a hit and beloved so I would do the same and I am not saying they are doing anything wrong, just that it's freaking time for SDOIT to get love. It's objectively the best album ever  :angel:

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #836 on: November 16, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
Maybe it is the incorrect way ( or everyone is all setup already ) :),

I listed a couple tickets on the tickets-for-sale thread.  I bought too hastily when the presale started and didn't realize it was on. I really wanted the VIP ( which I did get  :metal) but these are pretty decent seats like 8th row or so in the center.

No profit of course.

Happy DT Live!!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #837 on: November 16, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
Can we drop the Metropolis pt. 3 discussion, please?  It isn't funny,

like most posts on the forum that "try" to be funny.  :loser: :facepalm:
Let's just stick to music.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #838 on: November 17, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
No, let's not.  I little humor is good for a community here.  It's the amount that can be an issue.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #839 on: November 17, 2018, 01:10:55 PM »

"Why don't you met me in the middle?!"

Oh please God no.  That song makes me want to pull my ears off.  And it was playing EVERYWHERE!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.