Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254752 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #700 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
Yeah, there is one track title in particular that I was looking for to see if they would reveal it.

Behold, we're finally getting Six Lifts Never Gone in My Memory of Lost Degrees Are of Inner God Fake Trouble in the Lost New Millenium with Honey Mustard and BBQ McDonalds Playcenter Lick My Ass Turbulence. Called it.

666 minutes epic track.  :metal

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #701 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I feel like Paralyzed is going to be the Song 10 snippet we got

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #702 on: November 14, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
Barstool Warrior sounds like it'll be great. That should be their single...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #703 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
I can't help but think that "Barstool Warrior" sounds like a great title...for a Billy Joel song.

But...song titles, by themselves, aren't particularly interesting to me, so....

Also, didn't they live at Bear Tracks when they recorded I&W?  Obviously, the music was already written before they got there, but I got the impression from the series of "making of" videos on YouTube that they basically lived there while recording.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #704 on: November 14, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
When we were first starting out the scene didn’t really exist. There was a few bands, like our buddies Fates Warning. And Queensr˙che was kind of in that zone, but not really.

:lol

Well, that sounds funny, but he's right. I like QR but I've never considered them a prog metal band, they're much closer to being a heavy metal band with a few prog elements here and there.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #705 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
When we were first starting out the scene didn’t really exist. There was a few bands, like our buddies Fates Warning. And Queensr˙che was kind of in that zone, but not really.

Well, that sounds funny, but he's right. I like QR but I've never considered them a prog metal band, they're much closer to being a heavy metal band with a few prog elements here and there.

Exactly my opinion on QR as well. It's not a dig at the band because I used to like them a lot, but I've never considered them prog metal per se.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

« Reply #706 on: November 14, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
Not sure if this has been asked before or commented.
But I think we really need to know if the festival show in Mexico will include the full Evening With or if it will not.
My assistance pretty much depends on that

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #707 on: November 14, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I doubt it.  A festival, by definition, can't really accommodate an "evening with" format.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #708 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
I think Queensr˙che were a bit more cerebral and prog than some of the other trad metal bands at the time. They were never prog metal in terms of crazy technical stuff though.

As far as the interview goes, I like a lot of what he had to say, I hope there is still epicness within this shorter more concise record (I’m sure there will be). Not too keen on the ‘Barstool Warrior’ song title but doesn’t mean I won’t like the song.

« Reply #709 on: November 14, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Whathever, the promoters basically didn't give a damn about the entire South America in I&W25, and now they're not caring either, so it's just a matter of waiting for a second leg or something.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #710 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
Whathever, the promoters basically didn't give a damn about the entire South America in I&W25, and now they're not caring either, so it's just a matter of waiting for a second leg or something.
Yes, your frustration is guided in the right direction. The promoters are the ones to blame for snubbing certain areas,  not the band. 
DT's promoters have overlooked the Pacific Northwest for two straight tours now.  >:(
I hope there's a second U.S. leg but not holding my breath.
 I would think there's a big market for DT in South America, I hope they come your way..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
Barstool Warrior is definitely an interesting title for a DT song.  Curious how that one goes now

Offline robwebster

« Reply #712 on: November 14, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
So so far we have 4 tracks titles

Fall Into the Light
Paralyzed
At Wit’s End
Barstool Warrior

On reflection, it's mad that it's taken 33 years for them to do a song called Paralyzed. It's practically John Petrucci's mascot.

I don't like the name Barstool Warrior yet (might change when I hear the lyrics!) but the other three are all cracking.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #713 on: November 14, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
Barstool Warrior makes me think of.....  "NORM" !!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #714 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
If this is legit, I don't think an 80min album is short and concise.

1. Barstool Warrior 6:42
2. Out Of The Shadows 12:44
3. The Event Horizon 9:32
4. Paralyzed 6:23
5. Insurrection 7:44
6. Gates Of Tomorrow 5:38
7. Fall Into the Light 8:55
8. At Wit’s End    7:25
9. Distance Over Time 14:43
Total length:   79:46

But that is from Wiki, so who knows if its correct.
if it is correct we have two lyrics  by Myung and one from Mangini

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #715 on: November 14, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »

:lol Oh JP. The optics on that one. ha ha ha.

He's right though. Fates and QR were the beginnings of American prog metal, and right after them, I think you had Crimson Glory and Watchtower. And DT came next and took it a different direction. But unlike all those bands, Queensyrche was able to morph a complex sound into a commercial sound, and maintain integrity and gain mass appeal. DT and Fates did the same thing to a degree, but neither had that success in 1992 that Queensryche had in 1990.

But I would always argue that Queensryche and Fates Warning were the originators of American progressive metal, which ultimately led to Dream Theater.

Edit, put another way: Queensryche are the forefathers of American progressive metal, along with Fates Warning, both of whom combined the elements of prog rock (Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, etc.) with hard rock/metal (Deep Purple, Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest) to form a subgenre of American progressive metal. A genre that was later re-defined and pushed forward by Dream Theater.

No, Queensryche aren’t “prog” in the classic sense of the term. They were progressive metal, at least how the term was defined in the early-to-mid 1980s, and before Dream Theater spun that on its head, and the term became something quite different.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:21:30 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #716 on: November 14, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »

Fake. Well, at least the music and lyric credits on wiki, since James said he was working on lyrics for two songs and they only listed one.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #717 on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

Fake. Well, at least the music and lyric credits on wiki, since James said he was working on lyrics for two songs and they only listed one.

Yeah I'm guessing it's fake as well, until we get some kind of official track list from the band.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #718 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »

Yeah I'm guessing it's fake as well, until we get some kind of official track list from the band.

I figured as much since I also couldn't find any notation on the page to where the info came from.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #719 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
It is definitely fake.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #720 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »
I liked everything I've read and well, Barstool Warrior might be interesting, lol. With that said, I just hope that a very concise album doesn't mean we aren't getting any epic track. I'm not even talking about 20 min epics, but at least one 10+ or 12+ would be nice.

Offline rab7

« Reply #721 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
The person who put up that list clearly hasn't seen the "Song 10" video

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #722 on: November 14, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
"At the same time, we also knew we wanted to do a bit of a shorter record, with more concise songs. We didn’t want to have three songs on the album. We wanted to have a bunch. So we kept it all very tight and focused."

GODS, YES :hefdaddy

Barstool Warrior seems such a weird title, but the story behind is great. Lilke Iron Maiden's "Weekend warrior" was someone who was a "warrior" only at the stadium, I would assume a barstool warrior is someone who is able to boost about things they'd do only when they're sitting at a bar. Let's see what the twist in the storyline will be like!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 14, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
Being from Long Island, and Suffolk County, whenever I read that article from Rolling Stone when JP talks about Barstool Warrior, I can see him yapping with a guy at one of the bars (if there are any left these days) in Port Jeff. A couple of the places I used to hang got closed down years ago (I haven't lived back that way since the early 2000s).  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: November 14, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
"At the same time, we also knew we wanted to do a bit of a shorter record, with more concise songs. We didn’t want to have three songs on the album. We wanted to have a bunch. So we kept it all very tight and focused."

GODS, YES :hefdaddy

Agreed. I mean, short and concise probably has a different meaning for DT, but I'll take what I can get at this point.  :lol

« Reply #725 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
Guess it's time to head to the US

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #726 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
We are. The tour is going to be “An Evening With,” and part of the evening will be playing some of the new record and some older songs in our catalog, and then also playing Scenes From a Memory in its entirety. So it going to be a lot of fun. And that was a really important record for us, speaking of storytelling and all that. Because it was our first concept record.

So... will SFAM be the first or second set? I can't think of a much better song to end a night on than Finally Free.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »
We are. The tour is going to be “An Evening With,” and part of the evening will be playing some of the new record and some older songs in our catalog, and then also playing Scenes From a Memory in its entirety. So it going to be a lot of fun. And that was a really important record for us, speaking of storytelling and all that. Because it was our first concept record.

So... will SFAM be the first or second set? I can't think of a much better song to end a night on than Finally Free.

My thought is that SFAM is the second set but the encore will be the epic from the new album.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #728 on: November 14, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
Bosk, can you answer this question?

Is Barstool Warrior the track in the album cover teaser?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline genome

« Reply #729 on: November 14, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
I doubt it.  A festival, by definition, can't really accommodate an "evening with" format.

Well you could try one, but they'll probably cut the power on you.  :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #730 on: November 14, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
tbh from the way he described it, Bartstool Warrior is the track I'm most excited about on the album so far. The lyric concept sounds interesting and I'm always down for something melodic.

Also, it's kinda funny how they've decided to stick to more concise structures in some way on the last three albums. DT12 had this goal, The Astonishing had only one song over 7min, and now Velocity is gonna be going that route too. Not complaining in the slightest (I for one welcome our short song overlords), but it's interesting!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
I can get behind the nickname for this album being Velocity. Very nice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »
Except Velocity is a vector unit stating "displacement over time", whereas speed is the scalar unit that is the result of "distance over time" ;)

That being said...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
Barstool Warrior is definitely an interesting title for a DT song.  Curious how that one goes now

I hope it's like The Shaman's Trance in the sense that they decide to give it a better name just before it's released...but the song kicks ass regardless. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
Except Velocity is a vector unit stating "displacement over time", whereas speed is the scalar unit that is the result of "distance over time" ;)

That being said...

A nitpicker after my own heart. :hearts: Nice.

I like Speed as a nickname too.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!