Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254746 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #630 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
that's a protools session, not an audiowaveform

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #631 on: November 11, 2018, 09:04:25 PM »
To be fair, you don't mix albums based on people sitting around with headphones. You mix albums so they sound good on laptop speakers and those cheap ear buds that came with your phone, the TV speaker from which you'll stream the youtube videos and so forth. That's where the majority of people will listen to music...

Well, that's half true. Generally you try to mix so that it sounds great on a good quality source (hi-def headphones or monitors) and something cheap and crappy. A lot of producers/mixers will have two sets of monitors (one great, one mediocre) in their studio and/or will test it on crappy car radios to see if it works in both settings.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #632 on: November 12, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »
As someone who has forked out serious money on a high-end audiophile system, I can confirm that far too many albums do indeed sound like they were mixed/mastered from the neighbour's garage via two tin-cans-on-a-string by someone with a pillowcase on his head.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:22 AM »
To be fair, you don't mix albums based on people sitting around with headphones. You mix albums so they sound good on laptop speakers and those cheap ear buds that came with your phone, the TV speaker from which you'll stream the youtube videos and so forth. That's where the majority of people will listen to music...

That is a crying shame, that many artists now mix their albums to appeal to the LCD listening experience.

Offline gborland

« Reply #634 on: November 12, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
I very much hope that DT will take on board this fan's feedback when it comes to their next UK tour:

All-seated venues are shit. Nobody wants to sit down at a rock gig. Proper rock venues this time around, instead of plush theatres, please. :)
Graham Borland

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #635 on: November 12, 2018, 06:20:05 AM »
I very much hope that DT will take on board this fan's feedback when it comes to their next UK tour:

All-seated venues are shit. Nobody wants to sit down at a rock gig. Proper rock venues this time around, instead of plush theatres, please. :)

Oooh please don't let this evolve into a 250 post long discussion about Dream Theater fans' age and ability to stand during a whole show. We had something like this a couple months back.

That being said, I agree with you.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #636 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:19 AM »
I’d be very happy to to see them in their usual venue in Manchester, that being the Apollo Theatre. This can be used as all seater or the seats can be removed downstairs and made a standing area. I’m not too bothered either way. The sound quality is usually much better in a proper theatre and I’ve seen countless rock bands play there. I hate most of the other Manchester venues, I remember seeing DT in the Manchester Academy 2 on the FII tour and they sounded awful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »

I don't care what they do in the UK, but seated venues are just fine with me here in the USA.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »

I don't care what they do in the UK, but seated venues are just fine with me here in the USA.

I here in Sweden prefer standing.... but none of that golden circle bullshit that we saw on Images and Words and beyond please!

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »

Well, that's half true. Generally you try to mix so that it sounds great on a good quality source (hi-def headphones or monitors) and something cheap and crappy. A lot of producers/mixers will have two sets of monitors (one great, one mediocre) in their studio and/or will test it on crappy car radios to see if it works in both settings.

I think mixing for cheap and crappy speakers have been used as an excuse way too much to justify the loudness treatment of the music. I listen to music with good quality headphones, audiophile home theater / hi-fi setup, macbook pro’s speakers and with crappy car stereo. Overcompressed music sounds bad on all of these and dynamic music sounds good on any of these. I was for example comparing the new DT sample with the Xanadu cover on my macbook speakers and the latter sounds a lot better.

Offline chudm

« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
I think mixing for cheap and crappy speakers have been used as an excuse way too much to justify the loudness treatment of the music. I listen to music with good quality headphones, audiophile home theater / hi-fi setup, macbook pro’s speakers and with crappy car stereo. Overcompressed music sounds bad on all of these and dynamic music sounds good on any of these. I was for example comparing the new DT sample with the Xanadu cover on my macbook speakers and the latter sounds a lot better.

we are a minority man, its sad but true, the last sw live albums sounds great, stereo and 5.1 mix everywhere, i cannot say the same for the lastest live opeth album, the stereo mix (cd, hd, and even the stereo mix on the bluray) is super compressed, the 5.1 mix is a little better, dont know why they decided that loud was better  ???, im hoping the new dt at least have a not so loud mix, maybe like the hd/vinyl mix on ADTOE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:47:11 AM by chudm »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
The (pronounced D) asTonishing (T is pronounced with most stress)

you tried

And failed.

well I did study phonetics and phonology and there is such thing as stressed syllables as well as pronunciation different from writing  which is apparent in English. Some languages, like mine, have the same form in writing and in pronunciation. So yes, you may laugh but the fact is that T in "the" is pronounced 'd' as well as T in "astonishing" is the stressed syllable. To me it seems too big of a coincidence that the last 4 albums have DT in one way or another in the titles whereas none of the previous do, with the exception of WDADU which is a far bigger stretch than Astonishing.

My point that you can find DT in the mangini era albums and pretty easily and obviously and without reaching too far still stands, regardless of whether anyone finds it discussion worthy or laughable.

While it's a valid point as to the three albums that aren't The Astonishing, there is no principled argument that there is a "D" or "D" sound anywhere in that album title.  Maybe in Germany, it's called "Die Erstaunlich," but the English word "The" is pronounced either "thee" or "thuh" (with a soft "th" sound).  To suggest that the letter "D" can be represented by the word "the" requires an absurd amount of reaching.

As far as having "d's" and "t's" in album titles, that's hardly an earth-shattering discovery since "t" is one of the top two most common consonants in the English language, and "d" isn't too far behind.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline rab7

« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »

As far as having "d's" and "t's" in album titles, that's hardly an earth-shattering discovery since "t" is one of the top two most common consonants in the English language, and "d" isn't too far behind.

Yup, look no further than Scrabble, where T's are 1 point and D's are worth 2.

Also the reason why the final Wheel of Fortune challenge automatically gives you the letters R,S,T,L,N, and E.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »

I prefer seated too - I always stand anyway, but it's nice to have a designated space to stand in.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »

I prefer seated too - I always stand anyway, but it's nice to have a designated space to stand in.

I prefer seated as well. Most people end up standing for the whole show anyways, but it's good to take a break every so often.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

I prefer seated as well. Most people end up standing for the whole show anyways, but it's good to take a break every so often.

I'll be at the show with 3 generations of people in my family...
The youngest is 10 (her 3rd DT show) and the oldest is in their 60's.

I'm glad they will have seats, but I'm sure we will basically stand if everyone else around us is standing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
Bosk, this seems an apropos time to say thanks very much for sharing what you share and acting as sort of a liaison between this fan group and the band!!

Always!!
Thanks, guys.  I'm sure the two of you realize (although others may not) that it is a fine line that is difficult to walk.  JP has told me to my face that he considers me a "friend," and that he tells his friends things that he doesn't tell others.  But that being said, I am obviously a different kind of friend than, say, his bandmates, or the guy he knew since middle school that he hangs out with on weekends when not on tour (I don't have any particular person in mind--just speaking hypothetically about such a person).  I am a fan.  I want to know things just because I am a fan of the band.  So I try to use my best judgment and not bug him about things, don't communicate too often, don't communicate about things that are trivial, and so on.  He wants to be in touch with questions or issues the fan base has.  But he also wants appropriate boundaries on his private life, as anyone would.  So it's always a judgment call.  One of the things I appreciate most from both him as my primary contact (and this is true of the rest of the band as well), and from management, is that they are pretty clear about when something is for my own knowledge or whether it can be shared.  And when it is not clear, they are quick to answer my questions trying to get clarification.

So, I guess two brief points, to summarize:
1.  I appreciate the thanks.
2.  The band wants me in this position because they like the fan feedback, and they want you guys to know that the band listens.

Damn, bosk. You got our boy JP fooled big time.  :lol J/K

You do a good job here. More than anyone, I know the position you are in, and that delicate balance. You strike it better than I ever did, and I'm glad you've been successful. Cheers bud. See you soon.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
Bosk1 is Penn to DT's Teller. :lol

Thank you sir!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: November 13, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Can I just nip something in the bud right here and right now? Can we all agree to not abbreviate the album D/T?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #649 on: November 13, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Can I just nip something in the bud right here and right now? Can we all agree to not abbreviate the album D/T?

Yes, thank you. DOT>>>>>

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #650 on: November 13, 2018, 02:26:48 PM »

Yes, thank you. DOT>>>>>

This.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #651 on: November 13, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »

Yes, thank you. DOT>>>>>

This.

Darn it!  I was going to call it Speed!

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #652 on: November 13, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
I'm at the point in my life where I'm glad to sit down for much of the show wherever possible. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
But then when I proudly proclaim "I just picked up Speed and I love it!" people might think I am speaking of that crappy movie. And I cannot have that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
Got my tickets for DT at The Bomb Factory Dallas..looks like a cool venue and hopefully the sound will be better than Grand Prarie and last year in Irving..I’m glad it’s a smaller more intimate looking venue....anyway..IM STOKED!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2018, 03:34:18 PM »
But then when I proudly proclaim "I just picked up Speed and I love it!" people might think I am speaking of that crappy movie. And I cannot have that.

Or you get questioned by the police.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
I live in the greater Seattle area. The cops here are instructed not to pursue or question any possible drug-related activity, and local prosecutors won't file charges anyway.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #657 on: November 13, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
I live in the greater Seattle area. The cops here are instructed not to pursue or question any possible drug-related activity, and local prosecutors won't file charges anyway.

Yeah, I work in Seattle and I'm not sure what the cops are allowed to do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #658 on: November 13, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

Yes, thank you. DOT>>>>>

This.

Darn it!  I was going to call it Speed!

I proposed "V" a while back.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
Well then it would just be confused with the greatest TV miniseries ever.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #660 on: November 13, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »

Yes, thank you. DOT>>>>>
At first I interpreted DOT as Department of Transportation..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #661 on: November 13, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
I don’t like DOT and don’t like D/T
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #662 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:17 AM »
I don’t like DOT and don’t like D/T

Bring me solutions, not problems!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2018, 03:54:56 AM »
we really need to abbreviate it as "."
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #664 on: November 14, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »
Am i the only one impatient to hear a single from this album?