Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252315 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #595 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Bosk, this seems an apropos time to say thanks very much for sharing what you share and acting as sort of a liaison between this fan group and the band!!

Always!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #596 on: November 09, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »
Bosk, this seems an apropos time to say thanks very much for sharing what you share and acting as sort of a liaison between this fan group and the band!!

Always!!
Thanks, guys.  I'm sure the two of you realize (although others may not) that it is a fine line that is difficult to walk.  JP has told me to my face that he considers me a "friend," and that he tells his friends things that he doesn't tell others.  But that being said, I am obviously a different kind of friend than, say, his bandmates, or the guy he knew since middle school that he hangs out with on weekends when not on tour (I don't have any particular person in mind--just speaking hypothetically about such a person).  I am a fan.  I want to know things just because I am a fan of the band.  So I try to use my best judgment and not bug him about things, don't communicate too often, don't communicate about things that are trivial, and so on.  He wants to be in touch with questions or issues the fan base has.  But he also wants appropriate boundaries on his private life, as anyone would.  So it's always a judgment call.  One of the things I appreciate most from both him as my primary contact (and this is true of the rest of the band as well), and from management, is that they are pretty clear about when something is for my own knowledge or whether it can be shared.  And when it is not clear, they are quick to answer my questions trying to get clarification.

So, I guess two brief points, to summarize:
1.  I appreciate the thanks.
2.  The band wants me in this position because they like the fan feedback, and they want you guys to know that the band listens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #597 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Tell them to ignore TAC's posts over the last few pages. He's an idiot! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #598 on: November 09, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
If I’m a betting man, I’m gonna put my money down on rotating sets this tour, depending on how many random old songs the band wants to play - with Scenes taking up a whole set, and the new material taking up most of the other and potentially the encore, there won’t be much room for random slots. On the flip side though, that’s a crap ton of rehearsing! We shall see....

And I’d also like to thank Bosk, you’ve answered many questions that were on my mind. Your effort is appreciated!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: November 09, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
Got orchestra seats for Charlotte.

Where are you Hef?  I'm C 1&2.
I'm in Q.  So several rows back lol.

I my wife and I get there early enough (and we should) we'll have to all find a spot for dinner before the show maybe... there are several 4-star + places around Ovens.
Sounds good to me!

Sitting in Row J seat 1, I'm totally down for a meetup!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #601 on: November 09, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »
Hell yes!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #602 on: November 09, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »

Always!!
Thanks, guys.  I'm sure the two of you realize (although others may not) that it is a fine line that is difficult to walk.  JP has told me to my face that he considers me a "friend," and that he tells his friends things that he doesn't tell others.  But that being said, I am obviously a different kind of friend than, say, his bandmates, or the guy he knew since middle school that he hangs out with on weekends when not on tour (I don't have any particular person in mind--just speaking hypothetically about such a person).  I am a fan.  I want to know things just because I am a fan of the band.  So I try to use my best judgment and not bug him about things, don't communicate too often, don't communicate about things that are trivial, and so on.  He wants to be in touch with questions or issues the fan base has.  But he also wants appropriate boundaries on his private life, as anyone would.  So it's always a judgment call.  One of the things I appreciate most from both him as my primary contact (and this is true of the rest of the band as well), and from management, is that they are pretty clear about when something is for my own knowledge or whether it can be shared.  And when it is not clear, they are quick to answer my questions trying to get clarification.

2.  The band wants me in this position because they like the fan feedback, and they want you guys to know that the band listens.

:tup :tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #603 on: November 09, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
So, apparently James was in Buenos Aires a couple days ago:
https://www.facebook.com/DreamTheaterArgentinaOficial/photos/a.728048010594238/1961462637252763

:rollin :rollin :rollin that meme will never get old

Por cierto, ¿qué parte de Buenos Aires es? Como para visitar algún día :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #604 on: November 09, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »

Always!!

I can only say thank you for doing this, Bosk! :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #605 on: November 09, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
That's Puerto Madero. You can find the original picture here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:193_-_Buenos_Aires_-_Puerto_Madero_-_Janvier_2010.jpg

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #606 on: November 09, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »

Always!!

:heart :heart :heart

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #607 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
That's Puerto Madero. You can find the original picture here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:193_-_Buenos_Aires_-_Puerto_Madero_-_Janvier_2010.jpg

Nice :tup

Offline userx

« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:47 AM »
Haven't been here a while so might be discussed already but has anyone noticed that all mangini era albums have Dream Theater's initials in album titiles, either directly, either hidden by other words or by pronunciation:

a Dramatic Turn of events
Dream Theater
The (pronounced D) asTonishing (T is pronounced with most stress)
Distance over Time

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #609 on: November 10, 2018, 03:50:30 AM »

you tried
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #610 on: November 10, 2018, 04:00:52 AM »

you tried

I lol'd

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #611 on: November 10, 2018, 05:40:48 AM »

Always!!

That sounds like the most reasonable approach and I'm sure JP and the guys appreciate it and have come to trust you. There are local bands I know quite well, with the band members being the ones who actually reach out to me at gigs to say hi rather than the other way around, and still I would never call them "friends" or go as far as asking personal stuff on Facebook even though we're all friends there. I can only imagine what it's like to try to not cross the line with DREAM FRIGGIN' THEATER. But you're doing quite well with that as you explained so congratulations and thank you for being our voice :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #612 on: November 10, 2018, 05:57:19 AM »

Always!!

That sounds like the most reasonable approach and I'm sure JP and the guys appreciate it and have come to trust you. There are local bands I know quite well, with the band members being the ones who actually reach out to me at gigs to say hi rather than the other way around, and still I would never call them "friends" or go as far as asking personal stuff on Facebook even though we're all friends there. I can only imagine what it's like to try to not cross the line with DREAM FRIGGIN' THEATER. But you're doing quite well with that as you explained so congratulations and thank you for being our voice :tup

Yes, we all love our Bosky here. Thank you my man to take it on you to be the relay between the band and us fans. Love you! :heart :heart :heart

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline dream75

« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2018, 06:12:27 AM »

Always!!

Thanks Bosk  :tup I love you  :heart
In your opinion, when will the European tour be? In summer or autumn?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2018, 07:16:25 AM »
Damn, this thread picked up over the last couple days. A couple thoughts:

- I dig the new album cover and I've been varying degrees of excited/encouraged by just about every audio clip I've heard. I did have a chuckle when the vocal section of the official teaser came in because my first thought was that I don't have much faith in JLB to reliably hit that every night on tour :lol (which is fine with me by the way, I'd rather them go for whatever they think is best on the album, regardless of the feasibility of James actually singing it live)

- The rollout of the tour dates was a little odd in terms of the official poster only announcing cities and not venues and then before I saw anything else the ticket pre-sale had quietly begun.

- That said I didn't have any issue with the pre-sale itself. I bought tickets for NYC and NJ Thursday afternoon and had no problem selecting specific seats in the first five or six rows and dead center for both shows :hat May add Philly to the itinerary, but that's TBD a bit closer to the shows.

- As far as the tour itself, I am so fucking excited :metal :metal. Scenes From A Memory is my single favorite album of all time, and I didn't become a fan until after Six Degrees had come out, so this would be my first chance to see the whole album live. Though I have seen a decent chunk of it over the years in bits and pieces, SFAM is definitely a "greater than the sum of its parts" situation for me.

- I would agree with whoever said that I&W and this are the two albums that it really makes sense to do these full anniversary celebrations. Images was their breakthrough album and remains a landmark album for the entire genre. Scenes, if I had to guess, would be most picked album if you polled all Dream Theater fans about what their favorite DT release is. I definitely don't think they're in danger of crossing the line into nostalgia act at this point. The tour is named after the new album, the poster artwork is from the new album, and then it just mentions SFAM in the second line of text. I think the band probably knew they had to get back in the good graces with a segment of the fans and certainly the promoters after the second Astonishing run seemed to have subpar attendance. So we got one tour explicitly behind a classic album, now a tour billed on a new album, where they'll also be playing a classic album, and then I'm assuming they'll be back to normal as far as setlists not featuring a whole album for the next tour.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »

Always!!

You are doing a great job in your position.... highly appreciated

One question: Do you know if they plan on touring in the rest of the world with Scenes as the second set? Europe espescially...

Would love to see it live again after soo many years. Was fantastic back then and I am sure it will be again.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:08 AM »
- As far as the tour itself, I am so fucking excited :metal :metal. Scenes From A Memory is my single favorite album of all time, and I didn't become a fan until after Six Degrees had come out, so this would be my first chance to see the whole album live. Though I have seen a decent chunk of it over the years in bits and pieces, SFAM is definitely a "greater than the sum of its parts" situation for me.

Amen to that man! I saw Fatal Tragedy during ADTOE tour but this time it's gonna be real special within context.
I'm getting myself too psyched up and it's 6 freakin month away. Just last night I was getting to sleep and pictured myself hearing the first clicks in Regression at the show and losing my shit :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #617 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »

Always!!

There certainly seems to be evidence of this.

Offline userx

« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »

you tried

well I did study phonetics and phonology and there is such thing as stressed syllables as well as pronunciation different from writing  which is apparent in English. Some languages, like mine, have the same form in writing and in pronunciation. So yes, you may laugh but the fact is that T in "the" is pronounced 'd' as well as T in "astonishing" is the stressed syllable. To me it seems too big of a coincidence that the last 4 albums have DT in one way or another in the titles whereas none of the previous do, with the exception of WDADU which is a far bigger stretch than Astonishing.

My point that you can find DT in the mangini era albums and pretty easily and obviously and without reaching too far still stands, regardless of whether anyone finds it discussion worthy or laughable.

It came to me immediately a few days ago when I saw what the new album is called. I thought to myself: Hey all the Mangini albums have DT in the title except The Astonishing..." but as soon as I thought about it there is DT there too as the two most pronounced phonemes in the title are D and T. Also, if it really is intentional, it explains the clumsy title. They could have just named it Astonishing without the "the".

Well that is as much as I care about that. Cheers...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »

you tried

:lol :lol

No disrespect userx, I just thought it was an interesting observation apart from The Astonishing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

Offline earlilano

« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
I wonder if they will play the same setlist for the San Diego show and the 1st LA show. I got tickets for both, I am hoping I get different set. But I think if they do change the setlist it would be for the 2nd LA show. Sigh... I wish I thought of that before I bought my tickets.

Offline emtee

« Reply #622 on: November 11, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
Briefly coming out of lurk/hibernation mode.

I'm truly excited for a new album. Even though the skull is such a highly used image in rock/metal, they found a way to
make it look sharp.

I like JP's comments about making this a superior aural experience. I take that to mean he wants the sonic values to be
exceptional on this one. If MM shines through with a clear, cracking snare, thumping bass drums and full, defined toms,
I will be happy. Looking forward to the first single.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #623 on: November 11, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
Honest question, how good is JP’s hearing at this point? He needs to rely on third-party judgement for the “aural experience” imo - several people with headphones listening to how the mix is working.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #624 on: November 11, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
To be fair, you don't mix albums based on people sitting around with headphones. You mix albums so they sound good on laptop speakers and those cheap ear buds that came with your phone, the TV speaker from which you'll stream the youtube videos and so forth. That's where the majority of people will listen to music...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #625 on: November 11, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
To be fair, you don't mix albums based on people sitting around with headphones. You mix albums so they sound good on laptop speakers and those cheap ear buds that came with your phone, the TV speaker from which you'll stream the youtube videos and so forth. That's where the majority of people will listen to music...

Not saying you're wrong, but this is very different from what they've been teaching me in my mixing course. The main method it's taught me is to mix using the high-quality speakers in the studio (or home if that's where you're doing it), while occasionally taking it out to a car speaker or just some other environment to make sure it still sounds good & to make there's no issues with specific frequencies in your mixing environment.

Again, not saying no one does it like that, but I don't think most people use that as the primary way of mixing.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #626 on: November 11, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »

As someone who has been in the industry for a very long time tracking, mixing and mastering albums your description is a little off. Mixing is done on the highest quality speakers available to sound as representative to the artists' vision as possible. However, to the point you were making. Mixes are done with the parameters you describe in mind. I do have mid-level and single full range speakers in the room as well. I have had situations where the mastering eq was altered for a particular bit stream to compensate for various playback environments.
To give you an idea of what a typical mix room might look like, here is where I am working presently. This room is built for picture, so there are more mixes that I have to deal with (mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.2 and Atmos)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8CLopY1tZuwOGlhblM2eU5zTmdPMUxIZmdFTzljaXlOdzZB

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: November 11, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
No idea what I'm looking at, Bob, but it sure looks awesome. :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #628 on: November 11, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »

As someone who has been in the industry for a very long time tracking, mixing and mastering albums your description is a little off. Mixing is done on the highest quality speakers available to sound as representative to the artists' vision as possible. However, to the point you were making. Mixes are done with the parameters you describe in mind. I do have mid-level and single full range speakers in the room as well. I have had situations where the mastering eq was altered for a particular bit stream to compensate for various playback environments.
To give you an idea of what a typical mix room might look like, here is where I am working presently. This room is built for picture, so there are more mixes that I have to deal with (mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.2 and Atmos)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8CLopY1tZuwOGlhblM2eU5zTmdPMUxIZmdFTzljaXlOdzZB

That is one badass setup  :hefdaddy