Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252339 times)

Offline emtee

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2905 on: February 17, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
I finally had the opportunity to hear all 3 new songs on a killer system last night. HOLY CRAP!! For the first time
since MM joined, they managed to make his drums sound killer. They now share equal billing with all the other
instruments. The production is amazing. I'm really digging all 3 songs. For me, this mix is the best since 8V and on
par with their best sounding albums. I haven't felt this way about new DT songs for a LONG time.

On a side note, man oh man would I like to hear what ADToE would sound like with this mix.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2906 on: February 17, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »
I finally had the opportunity to hear all 3 new songs on a killer system last night. HOLY CRAP!! For the first time
since MM joined, they managed to make his drums sound killer. They now share equal billing with all the other
instruments. The production is amazing. I'm really digging all 3 songs. For me, this mix is the best since 8V and on
par with their best sounding albums. I haven't felt this way about new DT songs for a LONG time.

On a side note, man oh man would I like to hear what ADToE would sound like with this mix.
ADTOE has a good mix and master on the Hdtracks version IMHO, you can give it a go if you want.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2907 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Lots of promo copies received for reviews I see....

Promo copies were given out like sweets at Halloween, though. I think I'll claim to operate a legitimate music website in time for the next album cycle. The majority of 'professional' reviews I've seen for Distance Over Time are so amateur in tone and language, it's laughable.

Now, do I think everyone's got a promo copy? No. Of course not. But still.

Well, the "majority of 'professional' reviews" are, in fact, written by the people who are fans of the metal scene in general, like most of us here. People out there are doing it out of their love for this kind of music, not receiving any benefits—except the early access to the albums and a bit of exposure (which, as we all know, is apparently the new universal currency right now, except it doesn't pay any bills)—and a lot of them also have English as their second or even third language.

I'm not sure why I even decided to participate in a debate in DT part of the forums, that was a stupid decision.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline dream75

« Reply #2908 on: February 17, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »

So here's a question for you: Without having heard the album yet, how high do you think it could possibly rank among your favorite DT albums? For me, I think if it's really good it could crack the top 5. But beating the likes of SFAM, 6DOIT, IAW, and Awake would be quite a feat.

Well, my current ranking is this:
#1. Images & Words
#2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
#3. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
#4. The Astonishing
#5. Systematic Chaos
#6. When Dream & Day Unite
#7. Awake
#8. Octavarium
#9. Scenes From A Memory
10. Dream Theater
11. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
12. Train Of Thought
13. Falling Into Infinity

I could see DOT fitting nicely in between TA & SC. We'll see though.  :biggrin:

BCSL second and SFAM ninth ?????  :o

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2909 on: February 17, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »
It's kinda funny but whenever people discuss BC&SL, Nightmare and Tuscany are usually the first tunes that pop up everybody's heads. For me I heard BC&SL and immediately think of the bebot solo on Passage hehe
Then if I keep thinking of BC&SL, I'll think of the beautiful sedation section..
Then I'll think of "Hey a minute man" section and the folk parody song.
And if I keep at it I'll think of the mash-up of the first four AA songs into an okay song.
It's all probably connected to being on DTF, these were things we were discussing around here on release week of BC&SL.
I like BC&SL okay, I've never felt it had it's own "era" per se, I've always likened the SC/BC&SL to Metallica's Load/Reload, ReLoad doesn't have an individual era to me. But also since I felt that BC&SL followed the format of SC pretty closely, save for the breaking of the epic into two halves. I probably also feel that way because of how the single releases had a very similar vibe, Constant/Forsaken and Passage/Wither just felt so related by blood.
/barely-warranted-rant
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2910 on: February 17, 2019, 01:09:04 PM »
Is it just me, or is this thread getting derailed a bit? Very unusual around here.   :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2911 on: February 17, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
standardised procedure around here
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2912 on: February 17, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
Songs heard: 3
Reviews read: many
Excitement level: Extremely high

I love this band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2913 on: February 17, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »
Is anyone bored enough that they could post links of all of the reviews in a single post?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2914 on: February 17, 2019, 01:45:10 PM »
Is anyone bored enough that they could post links of all of the reviews in a single post?

Google is your friend. Distance over time review. Search options: last week/month

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2915 on: February 17, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
Google? That's the internet, right? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2916 on: February 17, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
A nightmare to remember and count of Tuscany are definitely two of the best songs since six degrees imo and shattered fortress has awesome stuff but the rest of album leaves much to be desired.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2917 on: February 17, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
I think the only song on BCSL that I like all the way through is Whither.

I really don't like TCOT outside of a moment here or there. Never truly understand the praise that song got. Even beyond the lyrics, not a fan of most of it. The music under the build up near the end is nice, but it's too little too late.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2918 on: February 17, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
My prediction is that the 5:00-5:10 mark of Pale Blue Dot is gonna make us all lose our shit with how awesome it is.

My second prediction is that we're gonna all want to go and speed down the highway with Viper King blasting. The Van Halen description has me excited
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2919 on: February 17, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
I consider The Best Of Times and The Count Of Tuscany both Top 15 DT songs.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2920 on: February 17, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
I think the only song on BCSL that I like all the way through is Whither.

Funny, cause that's the only song I skip on BCSL.

Offline kiszol

« Reply #2921 on: February 17, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
I think BCSL is an excellent album. IMHO only SFAM and SDOIT are better and maybe TOT but I usually change the order of the two every few months.

Nightmare, Best of Times and The Count are all pretty good, with The Count in the TOP5 and the other two in the TOP20 I think. The rest of the album is not bad either, The Shattered Fortress has an epic last 5 minutes and I think Wither is a nice ballad. Only ROP is subpar for me but there are worse DT songs than that. And if you don't like Wither and TSF well, the first three epics I mentioned are already around 50 minutes music all combined... Great album!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2922 on: February 17, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
This storm of BC & SL is a epic derailment.
 "Help us Obi-Bosk-Kenobi, you're our only hope!"  :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:02:14 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2923 on: February 17, 2019, 03:03:54 PM »
My prediction is that the 5:00-5:10 mark of Pale Blue Dot is gonna make us all lose our shit with how awesome it is.

My second prediction is that we're gonna all want to go and speed down the highway with Viper King blasting. The Van Halen description has me excited

I get more of a Deep Purple vibe from Viper King

Offline Dedalus

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2925 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
Was just thinking it's funny how 3 of the 4 MM era albums have titles that (pretty much) start with the letter "D" (iTunes automatically lists A Dramatic Turn Of Events as "Dramatic Turn Of Events" for me in the same way that it lists The Astonishing as "Astonishing". Not sure about you guys).
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2926 on: February 17, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
One thing that's peculiar is that song 2 and 3 start on the left channel only.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2927 on: February 17, 2019, 05:27:23 PM »
(I put my thoughts on BC&SL in the BC&SL thread for those curious)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2928 on: February 17, 2019, 05:32:32 PM »

Only because DT are a 1 guitar player band. But their albums often have a dual guitar player recording style. So left side is (often) rhythm side. So starting there makes sense. Adds dynamics to it when both sides kick in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2929 on: February 17, 2019, 06:04:06 PM »

Only because DT are a 1 guitar player band. But their albums often have a dual guitar player recording style. So left side is (often) rhythm side. So starting there makes sense. Adds dynamics to it when both sides kick in.

Van Halen used to do that a lot as well, where the guitar kicking off the song would be in just one channel, and then when the whole band comes in full force in both channels, it would make for a great dynamic shift.  Very effective technique, when done properly.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #2930 on: February 17, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »

As far as I can tell, JP uses both channels, with many layers (DT12 is heavily layered when it comes to guitars, pretty sure Behind The Veil has 5, even more, guitars at some point). Panning a guitar in the intro is a common thing in Metal, and I guess DT "copied" that from Metallica; it adds a nice "explosion" effect to the song.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #2931 on: February 17, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
In Extreme’s waiting for the punchline album the guitar is only hearc on one side during the entire
Album and it sounds really cool

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2932 on: February 17, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
Was just thinking it's funny how 3 of the 4 MM era albums have titles that (pretty much) start with the letter "D" (iTunes automatically lists A Dramatic Turn Of Events as "Dramatic Turn Of Events" for me in the same way that it lists The Astonishing as "Astonishing". Not sure about you guys).

It's lists for me as Da Astonishing

Not really :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2933 on: February 17, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
 :lol

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2934 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
Some thoughts on the album...I don't want to go into too much detail, but I've made some references to past songs to give an idea of the style some songs / sections sound like.

Barstool Warrior: This is probably the track that stands out to me the most on first listen. You get some prog, a beautiful guitar solo which reminds me of the one in TBOT except in 6/8 (actually several,) and James gives a great performance. This will be a favorite for many, I think. It has a nice climax near the end similar to The Bigger Picture, and the piano / guitar interlude in the middle is gorgeous.

Room 137: I'm not sure what to make of this one, honestly. It's definitely a different sound for DT. Very dark and almost psychadelic in places. For whatever reason, it's definitely not what I expected from MM, lyrically. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean but wasn't sure what else to say. Probably my least favorite track on the album, though it does have some cool parts and it's by no means bad, just a personal taste thing probably.

S2N: Frantic is the first adjective that comes to mind to describe the verses of this one. The guitar solo has a jam vibe to it, like LTE. Keyboard solo at the end is held down by a nice heavy riff, similar to TDEN but this solo is much better and the song doesn't just fade out.

At Wit's End: This one has a lot of different sections. I enjoyed it, but it's one of those tracks that will take several listens to fully get, I think. My only complaint is how the song ends. It fades out during the guitar solo, there's a gap of silence and then it cuts to a short clip of the band playing softly from the original jam recordings. I would have rather them extended the guitar solo further and/or found another way to drop the song down at the end instead of fading to silence and cutting to a totally different mix.

Out Of Reach: It's a nice ballad. Just to follow the trend of reviewers skipping over this track, I'll do the same :P Honestly though there's just not much to say (please don't assume this means it's bad, because it isn't.)

Pale Blue Dot: The comments about the guitars not driving the song from a few pages back are spot-on. Yes, you hear guitars, but the keys and drums are more upfront in the mix so they have a stronger presence. Very proggy instrumental section and a nice slower guitar solo later on. Like Barstool Warrior, I think this track will be another fan favorite from the album.

Also I would like to make special mentions to Mangini's drumming and drum sound in the mix. It is so much easier to hear all that he does on this album compared to others (particularly because you can actually hear the cymbals clearly,) and the drums don't sound overly processed. They still have a precise sound because that's just how MM plays, but it's a huge improvement and he's on fire -- MM fans will be very happy, I think. :)

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2935 on: February 17, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »
super early preferences

S2N
At Wit's End
Pale Blue Dot
Fall Into The Light
Barstool Warrior
Room 137
Untethered Angel
Paralyzed
Out Of Reach

Solid album, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't missing a 12-15 min epic though.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2936 on: February 17, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »
Guys,

Am I living in a different timeframe?
It seems like the album is released...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2937 on: February 18, 2019, 01:11:00 AM »
Guys,

Am I living in a different timeframe?
It seems like the album is released...

:lol

I was thinking the same thing.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2938 on: February 18, 2019, 01:28:27 AM »
*ducks to avoid the hammer*

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2939 on: February 18, 2019, 02:25:54 AM »
I consider The Best Of Times and The Count Of Tuscany both Top 15 DT songs.

To each his own, but I don't like them. Granted, there are things that are outstanding inside each song, but as a whole, they're not for me. And the choruses of both are not good, like, at all.

B.Lee

Note : excited as hell for the new album! I haven't listened to any of the singles released and you guys have my mouth water in expectation with your descriptions. Damn, 4 days to go still!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael