Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 252292 times)

Offline New World Rushman

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2018, 06:14:30 AM »
Looking at the white plastic hand holding the skull, and the way the Majesty symbol is printed on the wrist, it looks like an Apple product.
Would that make it an iRobot?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:04 AM »
To be honest i'm quite hyped.
I've been listening to ToT and i miss this heavy mix and songwriting from the band.
Can't wait to see when we'll get the first single.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2018, 06:34:51 AM »
To be honest i'm quite hyped.
I've been listening to ToT and i miss this heavy mix and songwriting from the band.
Can't wait to see when we'll get the first single.

Me too dude!! Maybe it's the excitement for DOT (love this acronym) or the impatience because Haken's Vector Vinyl has still not arrived at my house and I have to compensate with a different heavy album...

Anyway, I haven't listened to Train Of Thought in a very long time, and I still absolutely love it. This album was my whole entrance to the prog genre. And man, Dream Theater can be pretty bad ass!!! (As I Am)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
I'm still championing "D/T" as the acronym.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline dream75

« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2018, 06:53:06 AM »
In my opinion DOT will be very different from TOT and similar will be only the acronym  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »
Looking at the white plastic hand holding the skull, and the way the Majesty symbol is printed on the wrist, it looks like an Apple product.
Would that make it an iRobot?

It’s Jordan’s new gadget, he used it a lot for the recordings and decided to include it on the album cover :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »

Cool indeed, but in my opinion is too similar to the band's acronym.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2018, 07:09:50 AM »
How about · for an acronym?

(Alt + 250)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
Love it all, snippets, cover, title . . . can't wait for more!   :metal :metal

Hey Bosk, can we update the background for the forum? edit: I guess it's more correct to say, can we have another background for the new album :biggrin:

White theme? it will hurt the eyes. I'll stick with the Beneath the Surface one. But as other said, let's wait for the full artwork of the whole package.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2018, 07:20:08 AM »
D/T is a Nerdonym.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2018, 08:20:26 AM »
Love it all, snippets, cover, title . . . can't wait for more!   :metal :metal

Hey Bosk, can we update the background for the forum? edit: I guess it's more correct to say, can we have another background for the new album :biggrin:

White theme? it will hurt the eyes. I'll stick with the Beneath the Surface one. But as other said, let's wait for the full artwork of the whole package.

Patience.  Right now, we don't even have any artwork other than the front cover.  But in time...  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
From Inside Out  Music Fb page

Two-time Grammy-nominated and millions-selling progressive music titans Dream Theater announce the forthcoming worldwide release of their 14th studio album, Distance Over Time on 22nd February 2019. Distance Over Time showcases a newfound creativity for Dream Theater while maintaining the elements that have garnered them devoted fans around the globe. The album also marks the first for the band’s new label InsideOutMusic / Sony Music. The artwork was created by long-time cover collaborator Hugh Syme (Rush, Iron Maiden, Stone Sour). Distance Over Time was produced by John Petrucci, mixed by Ben Grosse and mastered by Tom Baker.

“When I listen back to the album, I can distinctly recall every moment of the writing process; where I was standing in the room, what inspired us in that instant and the meaning behind each song. As a producer, my goal was to try and create the best-sounding Dream Theater record we’ve ever made so that listeners can just be enveloped in the music. I really wanted this recording to truly reflect the spirit, joy and passion that went into making the album and for people to walk away feeling some of the organic nature, personality and raw energy that the band captured while together in the studio. For me, I think it accomplishes that and I hope that other people will feel the same way,” explains John Petrucci.

In June 2018, Dream Theater secluded themselves in a private location in upstate New York to begin writing for the new record. While spending the summer living together in the property's adjacent residence, the band spent their days and nights crafting the music that would make up the new album in the ‘Yonderbarn’; a beautiful and spacious barn that had been meticulously transformed into a state-of-the art film and recording studio. Following an intense & extremely productive period of group writing sessions and wanting to retain the magic that was captured in this scenic and inspiring location, they decided to record the album in the very room they had all convened to write together in. Living together during the writing and recording for Distance Over Time marked another first for the band’s 33-year career. The result is a heavier collection of songs that showcases the early roots of the band while exploring new territory as musicians and as friends.

“It was like going back to summer camp,” adds James LaBrie. “Being around each other the whole time made it that much more of a profound experience. I think the songs reflect the energy. It was a lot of fun to have a situation so powerful at this point in our career.”

It has been 3 years since Dream Theater released new music. To announce the details of the brand new album, Dream Theater enlisted the help of one lucky contest winner to break the news of the record to the loyal fans of the band. An Alternate Reality Game was launched that encompassed a “treasure hunt” whereby fans were able to search for clues hidden in various photos, videos, social media posts, and more. Ultimately, one lucky winner was given access to content before everyone else including the release date and cover artwork, and the winner would be the one to share the first taste of never before heard music. Listen to the teaser here: https://youtu.be/TKi3aQyWqHM

Dream Theater is also planning to hit the road in support of the new album. The Distance Over Time Tour of North America was recently announced and kicks off on March 20, 2019 in San Diego, CA. The tour will run for seven weeks before wrapping up in Mexico City on May 4, 2019.
Information on tickets for all upcoming shows as well as VIP packages can be found at www.dreamtheater.net. More tour dates for the worldwide tour will be announced in the near future.

About Ben Grosse

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Grosse

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
mixed by Ben Grosse apparently and not Jimmy T. (Ben Grosse worked with Alter Bridge btw, if anyone isn't familiar). Good press release IMHO apart from that. Honest statements by everyone it seems. And Hugh Syme is back (we knew that already though)

edit: double post - sorry
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:37:33 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »
They haven't updated the web site with the new tourdates yet...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #294 on: November 06, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »
Is this the first time in a while that all five have been in the studio together? I always thought that JLB recorded his vocals for some previous albums in Canada.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #295 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
their FB events tab apparently has the new dates though. Have a look.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #296 on: November 06, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
Is this the first time in a while that all five have been in the studio together? I always thought that JLB recorded his vocals for some previous albums in Canada.
IIRC, (don't quote me on it please) James recorded his parts in Canada for ADTOE and TA, not for DT12 though. And apparently not for DOT judging from Jimmy T's Instagram feed. (I may be wrong about the last part though). So yes, this is the first time in 5 years that they were in one room at the same time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
their FB events tab apparently has the new dates though. Have a look.

Well, we have the dates, but the post says ticket info, which I thought would also include venues.

Is there a link to the FB events tab?

Nevermind. Went to the Orpheum site in Boston. Presale tomorrow.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
mixed by Ben Grosse apparently and not Jimmy T. (Ben Grosse worked with Alter Bridge btw, if anyone isn't familiar). Good press release IMHO apart from that. Honest statements by everyone it seems. And Hugh Syme is back (we knew that already though)

edit: double post - sorry

Very interesting! Jimmy T engineered the album but they chose someone new for the mix this time. The snippet sounds powerful, so I’m sure it’ll be good :metal

Btw, now I wonder why they decided to work with a different artist for TA if Syme was going to come back for DOT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
We graciously welcome DOT to the acronym list.
Sorry to derail the topic a bit.

Have you watched this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfRzQO-pnU

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2018, 09:04:36 AM »
IIRC, (don't quote me on it please) James recorded his parts in Canada for ADTOE and TA, not for DT12 though. And apparently not for DOT judging from Jimmy T's Instagram feed. (I may be wrong about the last part though). So yes, this is the first time in 5 years that they were in one room at the same time.

I think that is close to being right.  But if I am not mistaken, for both ADTOE and DT12, James was present for the writing, even though he recorded vocals at home.  But I am not sure about the vocals for TA.  I don't remember hearing one way or the other where he recorded those.  And I do know he was not present for the writing (neither were JM and MM, obviously). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
Ben Grosse has also mixed some of RED's albums which sound pretty good, if not a little too processed. For sure they are heavy and drums sound powerful on those.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
Not sure if anyone wants to start new threads in the concerts section, but presales are starting today for a number of dates. I’ve only looked at LA and SF, but both of those have VIP on sale and a citi card presale going today, with other presales this week before the public on sale this Friday. Best of luck to everyone getting tickets!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
Yes, because not using a click increases the likelyhood of inaccuracies and mistakes and that's not fun at all.

No, that isn't really the case at all.

I wouldn't say it's not the case at all. While I don't doubt the reason they started playing to click tracks is exactly everything you said (lighting and video sync, etc), I'd definitely say that it has also (possibly inadvertantly) helped to prevent unnecessary mistakes/sloppyness, primarily in the guitar solo department. I've seen a lot of videos from the MP era where JP's live guitar solos suffered because MP had sped up certain parts to a clearly uncomfortable speed, and I feel like since the addition of the click track there's a lot more consistency in the solo and unison department.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GandL

« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
We graciously welcome DOT to the acronym list.
Sorry to derail the topic a bit.

Have you watched this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfRzQO-pnU

What is it?, Can't watch it here in Canada

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
It would be interesting to hear how they end up with Ben Grosse and Tom Baker.

Too bad they don't use modern names like Jens Bogren or Adam Getgood.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
Not sure if anyone wants to start new threads in the concerts section, but presales are starting today for a number of dates. I’ve only looked at LA and SF, but both of those have VIP on sale and a citi card presale going today, with other presales this week before the public on sale this Friday. Best of luck to everyone getting tickets!

Anyone know the Citi Presale code? If you purchase with Amex, will it deny you?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »

How about just "V"?

Or, going way back to my year of high school physics and year-plus of college physics, "distance" is expressed as "s," not "d" (I can't remember why), so the equation for distance equals velocity multiplied by time is "s = vt."  So you could use "S/T" for the album.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
It would be interesting to hear how they end up with Ben Grosse and Tom Baker.

Too bad they don't use modern names like Jens Bogren or Adam Getgood.

It is what it is... And by listening to the snippet I can tell that he did a very good job! It sounds fresh and modern, as many of us expected.

BTW, his portfolio includes the following bands:
Thirty Seconds To Mars, Slipknot, Disturbed, Marilyn Mason, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Underoath... The albums listed as mixed by him sound really good, IMO.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/ben-grosse-mn0000792389

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
I think that's just what you are seeing in "journalism" in general these days

Unfortunately. That is one of the reasons I left the field. Without going off on TOO much of a tangent, what I found in my last stint as a business-to-business reporter (2011-2016), is that you're required to write so many pieces (whether they be news briefs or full-on articles), the time to actually sit down and fully research things is almost non-existent. And editors are slammed with so much, they rarely go above and beyond to make sure things are fact-checked properly. Simply put, the budget isn't there to hire people to do that sort of thing (at least in most B2B shops and smaller news outlets).

My last few years, I was a senior writer and focused on a particular beat, so I had more time to really focus and make sure everything was ship-shape in an old-school way. That said, however, I hated it when I filled in for a daily writer, because it was just a shit-show driven by analytics and clicks on headlines. We literally sat there in weekly editorial meetings listening to our lead editor rifle off how we should write things according to what analytics tell us. For example, in our field, we noticed a huge trend that any of those "list" articles (top-10, etc.) that news writers would do, ODD numbers tended to be clicked on more. So EVERY list-type story had to be an odd number...it was ridiculous.

I give this example to people about true journalism work these days. When I was a rookie B2B reporter in 1998, writing for two monthly magazines, I was expected to write (on average) three 1,500+-word features, plus four-to-five shorter (500 or less) news pieces each month. So generally, 7,000 words per month.

In 2016, when I left, I would average around 15,000 words a month, which consisted of three-to-four weekly stories for the website (750-1,000 words each), and one-to-two 2,000+-word features for monthly print magazines.

I say this, because while I am not excusing poor journalism (you go into that field, you need to be professional and go that extra mile), think about the lack of quality and time people who aren't professional media members/writers are doing. They slap stuff together to get news out there, some out of love (which I respect), and some to make extra money, but there's nowhere near the quality control. And like I said, even if it is a legitimate news outlet and not a fan site, the resources and ability to do the job we expect just isn't there.

It's really a shame.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
DREAM THEATER RETURN WITH 14th STUDIO ALBUM 'DISTANCE OVER TIME' SCHEDULED FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE ON FEBRUARY 22, 2019

Two-time Grammy-nominated and millions-selling progressive music titans Dream Theater announce the forthcoming worldwide release of their 14th studio album, ‘Distance Over Time’ on 22nd February 2019. ‘Distance Over Time’ showcases a newfound creativity for Dream Theater while maintaining the elements that have garnered them devoted fans around the globe. The album also marks the first for the band’s new label InsideOutMusic / Sony Music. The artwork was created by long-time cover collaborator Hugh Syme (Rush, Iron Maiden, Stone Sour). ‘Distance Over Time’ was produced by John Petrucci, mixed by Ben Grosse and mastered by Tom Baker.

“When I listen back to the album, I can distinctly recall every moment of the writing process; where I was standing in the room, what inspired us in that instant and the meaning behind each song. As a producer, my goal was to try and create the best-sounding Dream Theater record we’ve ever made so that listeners can just be enveloped in the music. I really wanted this recording to truly reflect the spirit, joy and passion that went into making the album and for people to walk away feeling some of the organic nature, personality and raw energy that the band captured while together in the studio. For me, I think it accomplishes that and I hope that other people will feel the same way,” explains John Petrucci.

In June 2018, Dream Theater secluded themselves in a private location in upstate New York to begin writing for the new record. While spending the summer living together in the property's adjacent residence, the band spent their days and nights crafting the music that would make up the new album in the ‘Yonderbarn’; a beautiful and spacious barn that had been meticulously transformed into a state-of-the art film and recording studio. Following an intense & extremely productive period of group writing sessions and wanting to retain the magic that was captured in this scenic and inspiring location, they decided to record the album in the very room they had all convened to write together in. Living together during the writing and recording for ‘Distance Over Time’ marked another first for the band’s 33-year career. The result is a heavier collection of songs that showcases the early roots of the band while exploring new territory as musicians and as friends.

“It was like going back to summer camp,” adds James LaBrie. “Being around each other the whole time made it that much more of a profound experience. I think the songs reflect the energy. It was a lot of fun to have a situation so powerful at this point in our career.”

It has been 3 years since Dream Theater released new music. To announce the details of the brand new album, Dream Theater enlisted the help of one lucky contest winner to break the news of the record to the loyal fans of the band. An Alternate Reality Game was launched that encompassed a “treasure hunt” whereby fans were able to search for clues hidden in various photos, videos, social media posts, and more. Ultimately, one lucky winner was given access to content before everyone else including the release date and cover artwork, and the winner would be the one to share the first taste of never before heard music. Listen to that first teaser here: https://youtu.be/TKi3aQyWqHM

Dream Theater is also planning to hit the road in support of the new album. The ‘Distance Over Time’ Tour of North America was recently announced and kicks off on March 20, 2019 in San Diego, CA. The tour will run for seven weeks before wrapping up in Mexico City on May 4, 2019.

Information on tickets for all upcoming shows as well as VIP packages can be found at www.dreamtheater.net. More tour dates for the worldwide tour will be announced in the near future.

Progressive metal pioneers Dream Theater— James LaBrie (Vocals), John Petrucci (Guitars), Jordan Rudess (Keyboards), John Myung (Bass), and Mike Mangini (Drums) — share a unique bond with one of the most passionate fan bases around the globe as evidenced by their two GRAMMY® Award nominations and 15 million records sold worldwide. The 1992 opus Images & Words received a gold certification and landed on Rolling Stone’s coveted “100 Greatest Metal Albums of All-Time.” Guitar World placed the follow-up Awake at #1 on “Superunknown: 50 Iconic Albums That Defined 1994.” 1996’s A Change of Seasons notably soundtracked NBC’s coverage of Downhill Skiing at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Fans voted the 1999 Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory the “Number One All-Time Progressive Rock Album” in a 2012 Rolling Stone poll. Not to mention, it ranked as the “15th Greatest Concept Album” by Classic Rock.  2009 saw Black Clouds & Silver Linings crash the Billboard Top 200 at #6 as A Dramatic Turn of Events [2011] and Dream Theater [2013] maintained a three-peat in the chart’s Top 10. Consequence of Sound dubbed 2016’s The Astonishing, “An absolutely unique experience.” Beyond three platinum and two gold videos, the group was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2010. On its 14th full-length and first release for InsideOutMusic / Sony Music, Distance Over Time, the band recharge the brotherhood that has kept them creating music together for over 30 years. It’s Dream Theater at their most dynamic, direct, and definitive.

In 2018, InsideOutMusic have been celebrating 25 years as one of the leading labels worldwide for progressive music and is part of the Century Media Label Group, a division of Sony Music.

Dream Theater is:

James LaBrie – Lead Vocals

John Petrucci – Guitars, Backing Vocals

Jordan Rudess – Keyboards

John Myung – Bass Guitars

Mike Mangini – Drums, Percussion

Dream Theater online:

www.dreamtheater.net

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet

https://instagram.com/dtimages

InsideOutMusic online:

www.insideoutmusic.com

www.youtube.com/InsideOutMusicTV

www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic

www.insideoutshop.de

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »

Yes, you will still need a Citi card.

I'm thinking I will try to get a decent seat for the NYC show, but the Red Bank NJ show I will just get a cheap seat in the back

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »

I found a citi number to look at the ticket prices, but you needed a citi card to actually purchase them so I’ll wait until the presale tomorrow

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
Have presale codes gone out yet for the live nation presale tomorrow ? Looking for Toronto

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
We have the date. Now we need tracklist and song lengths. /impatient. Hahaha.