Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254716 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2660 on: February 08, 2019, 03:40:47 PM »
The song is already growing! The melody is very nice and happy to say Mangini sounds really good!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2661 on: February 08, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »
The song is already growing! The melody is very nice and happy to say Mangini sounds really good!

Agreed, just listened to it back to back with headphones and sounded amazing. Mangini does some very cool things towards the end as well.

While listening to it I was thinking about Eddie Trunk talking about if Portnoy would rejoin DT. I seriously hope he never does. I love the last four albums and the direction the band is going in. Plus I look forward to Mangini's drumming on every track.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2662 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
Pretty standardish song format that shines due to great execution. Reminds me of Breaking Benjamin, which I'm perfectly fine with.

I'm also pretty sure that this is one of the best mixed songs on any DT album. From the drums, I think this is everything you'd want (and the low rumble you get off of the kick and toms is awesome). I love how a lot of the keyboard lines are pushed back in the mix for color without getting smeary. Even in the parts where the bass isn't front and center, you can still hear the treble ringing and its deep bottom end. Unlike others here, I like the vocal mix. Nice and bright and at an appropriate level.

And I think this is the best JP has ever sounded. The guitars the tone has sonic color and is aggressive but without any of the feeling of compression making it too tight, which makes the actual sound absolutely massive.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Majesti

« Reply #2663 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »

Agreed, just listened to it back to back with headphones and sounded amazing. Mangini does some very cool things towards the end as well.

While listening to it I was thinking about Eddie Trunk talking about if Portnoy would rejoin DT. I seriously hope he never does. I love the last four albums and the direction the band is going in. Plus I look forward to Mangini's drumming on every track.

1000% this! I get so giddy at the prospect of hearing Mangini’s creativeness on each track!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2664 on: February 08, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
And I think this is the best JP has ever sounded. The guitars the tone has sonic color and is aggressive but without any of the feeling of compression making it too tight, which makes the actual sound absolutely massive.

Yeah, I was just thinking earlier today that of all guitar mixes/tones on past albums, THIS is definitely the "chocolate cake" he was looking for on DT12. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2665 on: February 08, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »

Yeah, I was just thinking earlier today that of all guitar mixes/tones on past albums, THIS is definitely the "chocolate cake" he was looking for on DT12.

Funny you say that. I pulled up Enemy Inside and I can hear a lot of the same things in the guitar sound, but it doesn't translate the same way. And I *like* the DT12 mix.
Over and over again

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2666 on: February 08, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »

Its hard to even hear JLB enough to access his vocals.   They just drown him in effects.    Why they do this I have no idea.    Nobody on this board seems to want those effects on his vocals. 

I think it is obvious why.  I have always been a big fan of JLB's voice, and while his occasional live struggles were usually no big deal to me since he could always bring it in the studio, based on what I have heard from the three songs released, the days of JLB killing it on a regular basis in the studio are likely over. And to be fair, he is 55 now, and has abused the crap out of his voice for nearly three decades now (think of how many shows DT has done and how long their shows often are), so a decline was inevitable.  I know I will get push back on this, but it's what my ears are telling me.

Edit: I thought Paralyzed was a solid tune. No more, no less.

Never mixed vocals i guess or had any knnowledge about vocal recording.
In no way you can hide a vocal inability in a mix. In the mixes so far i hear a strong studio performance by Labrie with added FX to meet a more mechanic  'metalized' touch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2667 on: February 08, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »

Funny you say that. I pulled up Enemy Inside and I can hear a lot of the same things in the guitar sound, but it doesn't translate the same way. And I *like* the DT12 mix.

Oh, yeah, I don't dislike the DT12 mix either.  But I think the guitar tone just sounds better here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2668 on: February 08, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
And by the way, of course, listen on Spotify if you can. The mix goes from an A to like an A-/B+ with Youtube's compression.

Youtube Commenter: "The Diary of LaBrie"

ololol
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: February 08, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
 :lol I still haven't listend yet, but if this sounds like Breaking Benjamin, that's not the worst thing in the world.  I actually really like them, but I know that's a very generic rock band so I can see why prog peeps would think that comparison is bad.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2670 on: February 08, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »
Breaking Benjamin... that's a very generic rock band

Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: February 08, 2019, 06:19:04 PM »
You think they aren't that generic?  I like them, but all their songs are very similar. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2672 on: February 08, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »
I've only heard a few songs, but based on those few songs, I would not call them generic.

I'd call them Tool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2673 on: February 08, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »

A friend of mine from Turkey who listens the album says At Wit's End, S2N and Out Of Reach have extremely satisfaying vocal melodies and James delivers them just perfect. He thinks it's like hearing SDOIT, SC and I&W in his style.

So I hope "the day" is not yet come too. Because, for me James is the main reason I love this band and what I seek first is the satisfaying vocal melodies.

Same here.  And I hope your friend is right.  :tup :tup

Never mixed vocals i guess or had any knnowledge about vocal recording.
In no way you can hide a vocal inability in a mix. In the mixes so far i hear a strong studio performance by Labrie with added FX to meet a more mechanic  'metalized' touch.

To clarify, by no means do I think JLB has "lost it"; I just think his voice isn't quite what it used to be, which I can't imagine anyone would disagree with.  Good luck finding a singer who sings in that style who sounds as good as 55 as he did at 25, 35 or even 45. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2674 on: February 08, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
You think they aren't that generic?  I like them, but all their songs are very similar.

Within their own catalog I guess there's not a huge difference, but relative to other bands I think they're pretty recognizable.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »

Within their own catalog I guess there's not a huge difference, but relative to other bands I think they're pretty recognizable.

I dont know, their music is super catchy to me and I love Ben's vocals, but I've never seen them as anything other than generic hard rock personally.  Not really trying to take a shot at them, I do like them.  I've seen them three times, first time in 2004 before they were famous at a small club in PA.  Even when I was introduced to them with thier first album, my thoughts were "this is pretty generic, but I love it."  And I've felt the "generic" part is why they are so popular because it's just easy music to consume.  To each their own, I don't think I'll change your opinion so just trying to explain how I see it.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2676 on: February 08, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
Wow wow wow. I'm loving Paralyzed.
The mix fits the song really well, better than the other previously released tracks I'd say.

Mangini is the hero of this track for me, seconded by JP's guitar tone.

So far, I'm looking forward to the rest of the album in 2 weeks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2677 on: February 08, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »
I surely hope that's the worst track off the album. I've listened three times and other than Mangini going off, this really isn't doing it. And I am voting against that guitar tone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: February 08, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
I surely hope that's the worst track off the album. I've listened three times and other than Mangini going off, this really isn't doing it. And I am voting against that guitar tone.

No chocolate cake?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2679 on: February 08, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
TAC is more of a poundcake kinda guy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2680 on: February 08, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
I love chocolate cake. I'm not an expert on tuning, but to me, this feels low and is really right on my threshold of enjoyment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2681 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
Dream Theater are sounding more robotic than ever (something which I don’t prefer from the Mangini era), but on this song the roboticness actually works in their favor. That riff is dope af and the overall track sounds like it has direction to it. Loved it, didn’t expect a song this good from DT going on the previous singles.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2682 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
;D #teamIWantToHearTheAlbumOnlyAfterIt'sOut

I'm in too.

B.Lee

I still haven't heard a note. I've kind of avoided any reviews but I'm not really putting much effort into it. There's plenty of music to enjoy in the meantime.
I'm going to assume I'll like it.  The only ones I don't enjoy much are about half of Train Of Thought, most of Systematic Chaos and the lyrics to The Astonishing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2683 on: February 08, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
I don't know what world I live in. I've never heard of Breaking Benjamin before Paralyzed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: February 08, 2019, 11:21:57 PM »
I don't know what world I live in. I've never heard of Breaking Benjamin before Paralyzed.

Neither had I, and I'm going to assume TAC hasn't either. So don't feel alone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2685 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:09 PM »

I just saw a snippet of what appeared to be a Viper King music video on my Facebook feed. I wish I hadn't heard it before release day, but it sounds like it'll be a fun song.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2686 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:57 PM »
What I’m really enjoying about paralyzed, is how well the song builds. Starting riff is great, James sounds solid, and we get one “I am Paralyzed” line in the first chorus. The next chorus has two “I am Paralyzed “ lines, builds into a solo, and by the time we hit the ripping outro, “I am Paralyzed” gets 5 treatments, with the third the impetus for Mangini and co. to turn it up a notch and go nuts to round out the song. I just really love the buildup over a shorter time period and I keep noticing nuances every listen. Definitely get some whiffs of BMUBMD and some Impermanent Resonance vibes but executed even better in my book. Great track and super placement between the other two singles to kick off the album pretty frenetically...  :tup

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2687 on: February 08, 2019, 11:45:48 PM »
I'm really digging Paralyzed, but the video feels... well, I don't really know how it feels. Like it just "is", but that's it. Generic, maybe? I don't know. I like the song, which is really all that matters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #2688 on: February 09, 2019, 12:54:55 AM »
I didn't love Paralyzed on the first listens, but it clicked later, and now I love it. Cool track, with a LaBrie solo albums vibe, which I love. It has a modern Prog/Djent vibe too, IMO, and I really like that.

Second favourite single, so far, 'cause I'm not a fan of Light besides the Metallica parts (intro and bridge), and Untethered Angel is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and the lyrics are something I truly needed in my life, and it's coming from one of my heroes and biggest inspirations (all I can say is "thank you, John Petrucci").

Edit: LaBrie sounds incredible in all the singles, if you ask me. I guess I'm biased, tho, LaBrie is my favourite singer -by miles-, and I love vocals with tons of effects and/or layers (Altered State by TesseracT comes to mind).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:02:02 AM by BeatriceNB »

Offline majo

« Reply #2689 on: February 09, 2019, 03:27:25 AM »
Only heard it once this morning, but really did dig it. Definitely sounds like James Labrie solo album only better slightly worse. :)
fixed some minor mistakes for you  ;D
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline majo

« Reply #2690 on: February 09, 2019, 03:28:43 AM »
I'm really digging Paralyzed, but the video feels... well, I don't really know how it feels. Like it just "is", but that's it. Generic, maybe? I don't know. I like the song, which is really all that matters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NOD Antivirus stock footage or product placement  ;D
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2691 on: February 09, 2019, 04:28:06 AM »
I find it odd that people comment on vocal effects like there have never been any before. I think Octavarium was the album with the most effects on the vocals - The Root of all evil, Panic attack and Never enough are the best examples. It's a fine choice artistically and it sounds cool most of the time. I didn't come from listening to Untethered angel thinking they went too far with the vocal effects, it sounded very familiar to me.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2692 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:02 AM »
I find it odd that people comment on vocal effects like there have never been any before. I think Octavarium was the album with the most effects on the vocals - The Root of all evil, Panic attack and Never enough are the best examples. It's a fine choice artistically and it sounds cool most of the time. I didn't come from listening to Untethered angel thinking they went too far with the vocal effects, it sounded very familiar to me.

You're absolutely right, as "vocal effects" are generally used all the time. I think it may have more to do with the poor mixing this time around, and possibly the type/extent in which they're used.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2693 on: February 09, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »
Well octavarium is one of my least favorite dt albums so the vocal effects for me has always been an issue.   

Offline adamack

« Reply #2694 on: February 09, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »

I dont know, their music is super catchy to me and I love Ben's vocals, but I've never seen them as anything other than generic hard rock personally.  Not really trying to take a shot at them, I do like them.  I've seen them three times, first time in 2004 before they were famous at a small club in PA.  Even when I was introduced to them with thier first album, my thoughts were "this is pretty generic, but I love it."  And I've felt the "generic" part is why they are so popular because it's just easy music to consume.  To each their own, I don't think I'll change your opinion so just trying to explain how I see it.

I really think this is dead on. Unless their lesser known songs are drastically different than the songs I’ve heard, they are a cool band,  but not really one who stood out as anything totally unique among the other alt rock bands in their class.