Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255148 times)

Offline Red_Queen

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2555 on: February 08, 2019, 12:36:47 AM »
Am I paralyzed ? Hell yeaah. Love heavy vibe but still melodic. Vocals are leading this one !!! Straight song with power very similiar to JLB solo work.
 :metal

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2556 on: February 08, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »
A really cool song!

I'm a sucker for These Walls, Forsaken and BMUBMD, so I'm loving this!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2557 on: February 08, 2019, 01:09:19 AM »
This album is gonna shake our habits more than we think !
I have untethered angel's chorus and organ solo in my head since day one, I enjoyed fall into the light but I can't remember it, and this new single is a paradox.

On the bad side it's so standard structured that it has no "surprise", but on the good side it's efficient, great sounding, and there is something reminding "old DT", I don't know what you think about it, but I feel like it would have fit an older album without a problem, and it feels good.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2558 on: February 08, 2019, 01:17:48 AM »
Mangini is really on fire in this song and I can feel his personality as he does a lot of these patterns in his drum solos.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2559 on: February 08, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »
Mangini is really on fire in this song and I can feel his personality as he does a lot of these patterns in his drum solos.

Yeah, i think this song also originates from a riff Mike brought to the table.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2560 on: February 08, 2019, 02:16:45 AM »
I really like Paralyzed a lot. Great heavy groove and build up, and I like the vocal melody in the verses. Fantastic solo by JP. I think this is the type of song that would be good to point people to, as an introduction to DT.

The only thing I would say is that on my first listen the section "A heart that feels no pain, addicted to the game.." felt like a bridge, leading to a chorus that didn't actually happen. Instead, it goes back to the main riff with "I'm Paralyzed". That's fine, just not what my ears were expecting.

Oh, and it's too short - I'd happily take another couple of minutes.  :)

Totally agree. The thing I noticed is just how well "integrated", for want of a better word, the drums are. Everything is working really well together.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2561 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:01 AM »
My guess with no basis except from what I felt from the song. Mangini came up with the drum pattern first, and made the riff around that drum pattern.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2562 on: February 08, 2019, 03:09:53 AM »
Enjoyed Paralyzed on one listen. Played Fall Into The Light afterwards and you get a great, consistent vibe, i think.

Feeling so positive about this album. They've moved in exactly the direction i wanted to in terms of working as a unit with a fun, spontaneous vibe. I'm not bothered whether it's short, long, poppy, heavy or "proggy". It just needs to sound "engaged", for want of a better term.

Nice.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Art

« Reply #2563 on: February 08, 2019, 03:50:59 AM »
Loved Paralyzed, especially the guitar solo tone. So beautiful!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2564 on: February 08, 2019, 04:18:14 AM »
Does anyone else hear those quiet blips/clicks on the right channel during the intro while the guitar is playing in the left channel? Strange.  Great song though!

Offline genome

« Reply #2565 on: February 08, 2019, 04:32:29 AM »
The intro reminds me of Face to the Floor by Chevelle.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2566 on: February 08, 2019, 04:38:44 AM »
Does anyone else hear those quiet blips/clicks on the right channel during the intro while the guitar is playing in the left channel? Strange.  Great song though!

I don't hear that. Are you listening on iTunes or something else?

Offline LightCurves

« Reply #2567 on: February 08, 2019, 04:57:45 AM »
great song. intro being the best part.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2568 on: February 08, 2019, 05:06:43 AM »

I don't hear that. Are you listening on iTunes or something else?

I hear it on both iTunes and YouTube.  Seems to be slightly louder on the YouTube version however. 

Offline krands85

« Reply #2569 on: February 08, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
I enjoyed the intro and the solo, but I wasn't that grabbed by the rest of the song.

When UA was released, I thought it was pretty good, but was hoping that most of the other songs on the album would be even better, or at least as good. Sadly, I haven't enjoyed the subsequent singles as much and get the feeling this album might be a bit like DT12 for me - where I really enjoyed the first single and was hopeful for the rest of the album, but only 1 or 2 other tracks were on the same level.

However, I'm still hopeful because I've probably listened to the singles less than 10 times combined and most of those were UA. Most songs take me a while to get to grips with and once I can listen to the full album, hopefully things start coming together more.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2570 on: February 08, 2019, 05:56:24 AM »
Bit of an alternative rock vibe with your typical Petrucci prog metal solo. Can't say I enjoyed it unfortunately.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2571 on: February 08, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »
Judging by the three singles, I have a feeling this album is going to be really special. There is a consistency to the sound that I am really digging. Sounds to me like Train of Thought meets DT12. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Has anyone pre-ordered the album on Amazon? I have, but the three singles don't appear in my Amazon Music app, no matter what I do :(

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2572 on: February 08, 2019, 06:13:52 AM »
I enjoyed the song but I wish it was longer and had more vocals.  Labrie is always buried in the mix and when the song slowed before the petrucci solo I was hoping for an awesome vocal part from James.   I get a falling into infinity vibe here.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2573 on: February 08, 2019, 06:22:29 AM »
Paralyzed was just what I expected, based on the descriptions that were given beforehand. I solid short rock tune with a nice melody and chorus. It's OK for DT to just have a good solid rocker without having to reinvent the wheel or have a million different parts. It serves its purpose and I like it!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2574 on: February 08, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
I think I might be depressed. My favourite band of all time, a band that have never put out a bad album (imo), are about to release brand new music and I'm nowhere near as excited about it as I should be. It's frustrating. I know what's going to happen. I'm going to listen, it's going to be amazing, and others are going to say it's absolute rubbish. Both opinions can't be right and I know I'm going to have to constantly leap into the defensive about my favourite band of all time. On the other hand, I really want to share my enthusiasm and love for this music with people who share the same positive feelings about it. This tussle back and forth is immensely tiring.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2575 on: February 08, 2019, 06:34:20 AM »
If you try to sell 10 people on DT.   7 are going to think they have no soul and 3 are going to think they are the most amazing band to ever exist by far.  It's just the way it is.     I stopped trying to force people onto DT years ago and just learned to love them for myself.   Outside of my brother who hates them and I think its fun to consistently force them down his throat :).   He's been to 4 DT concerts haha.

As for this album so far, I love how different it sounds.  It sounds fresh and energetic.    So far I wish it were proggier but I'm glad they sound inspired and I know the proggier songs are still to come!   I enjoy the first 3 singles but hope they aren't my 3 favorite tracks on the album.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2576 on: February 08, 2019, 06:58:40 AM »
I'm going to listen, it's going to be amazing, and others are going to say it's absolute rubbish. Both opinions can't be right and I know I'm going to have to constantly leap into the defensive about my favourite band of all time.
Or you could simply just accept that they can.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2577 on: February 08, 2019, 07:02:24 AM »
Another impression after listening to the singles in album order - It sounds more "classic" metal then they have in a long time to these ears. Not the "trying to be tough" metal of TOT (sorry I've never been able to come up with a better description) but still free and melodic and joyful. Loving it.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2578 on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »

Feeling so positive about this album. They've moved in exactly the direction i wanted to in terms of working as a unit with a fun, spontaneous vibe. I'm not bothered whether it's short, long, poppy, heavy or "proggy". It just needs to sound "engaged", for want of a better term.

Nice.

My thoughts entirely. 3 really cool songs released so far, making for an extremely solid beginning to the album. This new one I like a lot, it has a groovy immediacy about it. Beautiful guitar tone from JP too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2579 on: February 08, 2019, 07:11:17 AM »
This new one I like a lot, it has a groovy immediacy about it. Beautiful guitar tone from JP too.

:tup

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2580 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
Paralyzed is the best song that they've released so far from the new album.   :metal

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2581 on: February 08, 2019, 07:27:19 AM »
Judging by the three singles, I have a feeling this album is going to be really special. There is a consistency to the sound that I am really digging. Sounds to me like Train of Thought meets DT12. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Has anyone pre-ordered the album on Amazon? I have, but the three singles don't appear in my Amazon Music app, no matter what I do :(
Yes, I did. Same thing you described happened to me too. My guess is that we will find these when the album is released, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:49:15 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2582 on: February 08, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »

For sure.  But one of the things that really makes the song for me, which I have not seen mentioned yet, is Jordan's beautiful piano underneath that heavy guitar.  So awesome!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2583 on: February 08, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »
I like that too. Unusually simplistic for him, but hey, when it works.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2584 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »

Nice.

My thoughts entirely. 3 really cool songs released so far, making for an extremely solid beginning to the album. This new one I like a lot, it has a groovy immediacy about it. Beautiful guitar tone from JP too.

Yeah this is where I am at too.

I like Paralyzed. Obviously, the reviews that have come out already covered that this was a short, straightforward, riffy, rocker - so I'm not bothered by a lack of "prog". Everyone sounds good on this track, like a real cohesive unit. I'm guessing in the context of the record with some of the longer, more progressive songs, this will be a welcome straight-ahead rock tune. I dig it.

For sure.  But one of the things that really makes the song for me, which I have not seen mentioned yet, is Jordan's beautiful piano underneath that heavy guitar.  So awesome!

Yeah his piano work with the heavy guitar riffs definitely give a Forsaken-ish vibe, I personally love when they do that.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2585 on: February 08, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
If you try to sell 10 people on DT, 50% will love it, 25% will not, and the other 25% won't know what to think

Fixed that for you

Offline Art

« Reply #2586 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »
Can't really put my finger on why, but i think Paralyzed is my favorite performance by Mangini in DT. The drums are "simple" (simple for him, that is), cool and they SOUND incredible, too.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2587 on: February 08, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
Fall Into the Light and Paralyzed have really sold me on this new album!

So far it's turning out to be everything I wanted. After a 2 1/2 hour prog opera that was more miss than hit for me, it's refreshing to hear somewhat simplistic DT tunes with great riffs and strong melodies. I'm not at all bothered by the absence of long songs on this record!

After DT dropped from my radar for a number of years, it's great to be really excited for new DT music again! Last time I was this excited, was way back in 2011 with ADTOE.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2588 on: February 08, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
Can't really put my finger on why, but i think Paralyzed is my favorite performance by Mangini in DT. The drums are "simple" (simple for him, that is), cool and they SOUND incredible, too.

It's a really solid performance by him, nothing super flashy, but his drumming just fits everything really nicely in the song. The production of the drums certainly helps, this record is the best his kit has sounded in the studio with DT yet.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2589 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
By far my favorite thing about these three releases is the mix/sound.....I’m far from an audiophile but these songs ‘sound’ really good. I think the approach they took to record in the same space and capture that ‘feel’ is going to pay off.

And...I’ve really dig these three singles. Can’t wait for the album.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind