Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253807 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Very excited about all of this, I just hope whatever they have planned for the tour it doesn't involve playing to a click.

Isn't that their standard m.o. since Mangini joined?
yes, very much so and there is no reason for them to change that. It would be immeasurably dangerous for them not to play to a click, because of how difficult the music is. (and it wouldn't be enjoyable for me personally at all)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
Very excited about all of this, I just hope whatever they have planned for the tour it doesn't involve playing to a click.

They're celebrating Scenes from a Memory. A click is literally the first thing you'll hear ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »

Isn't that their standard m.o. since Mangini joined?
yes, very much so and there is no reason for them to change that. It would be immeasurably dangerous for them not to play to a click, because of how difficult the music is. (and it wouldn't be enjoyable for me personally at all)

immeasurably dangerous?  :lol

They used to, I don't see why they can't again, but I have no expectation of that. 

Personally I wish they dropped it

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »
Yes, because not using a click increases the likelyhood of inaccuracies and mistakes and that's not fun at all. Plus, we all should know that most of their music is difficult to play and clicks make for a cleaner and more consistent  end result Who would want inaccuracies and mistakes? Not me. (I only listen to Mangini-era live albums for that very reason among others)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »

They're celebrating Scenes from a Memory. A click is literally the first thing you'll hear ;D
very true

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
I think the click is not that they could do mistakes but because the lightning show and backing videos stays in sync with music.

(Even though they haven't used video screen for years, wonder why...)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Yes, because not using a click increases the likelyhood of inaccuracies and mistakes and that's not fun at all.

No, that isn't really the case at all.  Neither using one nor not using one contributes to mistakes.  But using one CAN make it more difficult to recover from minor mistakes.  Really, the only reason they started using one in the Mangini era was to be able to sync up video, lighting, and backing tracks.  It has nothing to do with trying to eliminate mistakes.  Playing to a click does not help with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
Yes, because not using a click increases the likelyhood of inaccuracies and mistakes and that's not fun at all.

No, that isn't really the case at all.  Neither using one nor not using one contributes to mistakes.  But using one CAN make it more difficult to recover from minor mistakes.  Really, the only reason they started using one in the Mangini era was to be able to sync up video, lighting, and backing tracks.  It has nothing to do with trying to eliminate mistakes.  Playing to a click does not help with that.

This is true.

Without a click, they can course correct if necessary. With a click? If you mess up and miss a beat or lose track for just one small section, the song is 100% screwed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »

well, as they say: you learn something new every day. I'm no exception to that. :D  Apart from all that, I'll be happy to see them when they'll play in Germany. (and I'm sure they will)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
Personally I don't mind mistakes, at least not song destructing mistakes which is very rare from a band that's been performing live for a long time like DT.

I just feel without a click, the music usually gets a slightly more up tempo beat live and I always feel that extra bit makes the live music more fun when you are in the venue. 

Mike Portnoy's SHattered Fortress show had an energy that I haven't seen from DT in a long time, I think it had something to do with playing a little more up tempo and feeling off the crowd.  Makes it feel more "live" to me.  I don't need a note for note replica of the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »

I think several of the guys are on record saying part of the reason they wanted to try using a click with MM was to keep tempos under control as well.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Makes sense. (what bosk said as well) And again, it's much appreciated by me. (and btw, I'm not trying or intending to be mean here. Never have never will)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
Makes sense. And again, it's much appreciated by me. (and btw, I'm not trying or intending to be mean here. Never have never will)

You weren't being mean, just stating your opinions.  I know you aren't the only one who enjoys them playing with a click.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
Really? Wow ok. Didn't think so.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
I can see both sides of it.  Playing to a click makes the performance more consistent, tempo-wise, and allows them to add all those subtle textures with lights, backing tracks, and video, and that can make for a better experience for some.  On the other hand, even if the shows are relatively the same, the smallest changes in tempo to react to the crowd energy or whatever, can make the shows feel like they have more energy, which can make for a better experience. 

To me, I'm not really on one side or the other.  I see the benefits of both, and can enjoy both approaches.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
Mangini is such a beast that they is no way he is going to rush or drag that much that would warrant a click, Portnoy was the one always pushing the tempos but it is okay in a live setting, gives the performance some life. Their performances to the click have been too rigid for me, they are SO in time it becomes distracting. It made sense with the Astonishing tour because they had all the orchestra samples to trigger that had to be in time. SFAM is basically the best thing ever and I would love for them to tackle it head on.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
I call bullshit on the tour dates.  Like I said in FB, 4 California dates and nothing for Arizona?  What.  The.  Fuck.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
I went through all media articles I could find so far about the information discovered on Friday.
  • A few don't mention the treasure hunt at all. (Even when it's a major part of the press release).
  • There's one article in Spanish with a very lazy translation of the press release, using future tense for the verbs in the paragraphs about the hunt. (As in, "there will be one winner".)
  • This other site writes how Scenes from a memory hasn't been played in its entirety in 20 years, which makes absolutely no sense. (Full performances occurred in 2000 and 2005.)
  • Some articles mention that you can get tickets and more information in the band's official website. (Which, as of right now, is false.)
  • Finally: an article states that Distance over time will be released 4 (four) years after The Astonishing.

Has this always been the case with Internet journalism RE: new music? I haven't been around for previous cycles.

I did find one nice piece, by Spencer Kaufman on Consequence of Sound:
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/dream-theater-new-album-distance-over-time-2019-tour/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
I think that's just what you are seeing in "journalism" in general these days

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
something to wash the stain of "The Astonishing" from my mind. 

I like it.

This.

Although, I'm not too keen on how Labrie sounds here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
Here’s a list of things we should be getting soon/in a few weeks:

- Official release date (we know it will be released in February, but we don’t have the exact date yet)
- Tracklist (and hopefully track lenghts)
- A full song/single

Seriously cannot wait to know more about this album :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
Yes, because not using a click increases the likelyhood of inaccuracies and mistakes and that's not fun at all. Plus, we all should know that most of their music is difficult to play and clicks make for a cleaner and more consistent  end result Who would want inaccuracies and mistakes? Not me. (I only listen to Mangini-era live albums for that very reason among others)

With all due respect, if you want a (near-) perfect performance with no mistakes or inaccuracies, that is what the studio records are for.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »
I think that's just what you are seeing in "journalism" in general these days
Oh; bummer.  :sad:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
Mike Mangini on Facebook:

New Album Cover and Clip. It reflects a lot of the energy and melody of the whole album. I never like reading "this is our best album" by anyone because it never is in my opinion. I just want listeners to think, "ok.. THIS is a great album, I really like songs a,b,f,h the best, but I can listen to it from front to back and stay interested." That's as simple as it should be I think.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »
Mike Mangini on Facebook:

New Album Cover and Clip. It reflects a lot of the energy and melody of the whole album. I never like reading "this is our best album" by anyone because it never is in my opinion. I just want listeners to think, "ok.. THIS is a great album, I really like songs a,b,f,h the best, but I can listen to it from front to back and stay interested." That's as simple as it should be I think.

Nice. I like how Mike's coming across here: realistic/understated/quietly confident
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »
Speaking of click track, they should increase every song's (at least heavy ones) tempo with +10bpm adding more power and live feeling.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2018, 02:03:41 AM »
Speaking of click track, they should increase every song's (at least heavy ones) tempo with +10bpm adding more power and live feeling.

I'm not particularly bothered by them playing to a click, as it seems everyone is doing it these days, but this is an idea worth trying. Tweak the tempo up by a couple of bpm to give a bit of extra energy. I remember on my first watch of Breaking The Fourth Wall, thinking that some of the songs seemed slow, but that's most likely in comparison to other live versions, and they were bang on tempo with the album versions. I think there's an expectation for live versions to sound a little more rushed, as adrenaline kicks in on stage.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the album. Far too early to make any sort of judgement, but from the clip, I'm definitely hearing more cymbals and a more natural snare sound. Though, for me, great songs are what I'm hoping for, and a nice mix will be a bonus.

The cover straight away reminded me of this:

Maybe robot hands are in, this season?   :)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2018, 02:33:48 AM »

I've been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead lately - a band that never played a song the same way twice. Man, if you don't like "mistakes" (or "improvisation" as it's sometimes called) your head would literally explode if you heard some of the Dead's stuff. As someone else said, perfection is for the studio. Even with a click-track, there's a surprising amount of improvisation in DT shows - go see them 2 nights running and listen to all the subtle differences in the solos, etc. It's only the timing that's consistent with a click. Live music should be a "one time" spontaneous experience, IMO.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2018, 03:46:15 AM »
Honestly, snippet sounds good
and
I discovered DT with SFAM album + VHS (and the tour was obviously already done)
I'm so hyped, I already know I'll buy tickets for any french show next year :)
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2018, 05:38:27 AM »
Love it all, snippets, cover, title . . . can't wait for more!   :metal :metal

Hey Bosk, can we update the background for the forum? edit: I guess it's more correct to say, can we have another background for the new album :biggrin:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2018, 05:45:38 AM »

Hey Bosk, can we update the background for the forum? edit: I guess it's more correct to say, can we have another background for the new album :biggrin:
This. All you said.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2018, 05:57:36 AM »

This. All you said.

I think we should wait for the release, it could have some relevant piece in the booklet that's worth including in the forum's design...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »
Yeah maybe.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »
We graciously welcome DOT to the acronym list.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2018, 06:07:18 AM »