Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253759 times)

Offline jayvee3

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2205 on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Just to be clear, I don't hate any of DT's newer stuff. I don't put on FITL and go "GOOD GOD WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE THIS CRAP MUST BE DESTROYED". I just listen and don't feel much. That's it. Death Magnetic by Metallica is an album I actively dislike. Like, I will not listen to it. DT's music doesn't do that to me. I just feel....nothing....toward most of it.

It's kind of like Kevin Smith. I love his movies even up to and including Jersey Girl. But everything after that? Do not like it. Red State? Tusk? Gross. Bad movies. Is it because I want them to be like his early films? Nope. They're just bad films in and of themselves. But I looooove Kevin Smith. I will watch anything he does on Youtube where it's just him. I also love when he directs episodes of other shows. DT is similar. I still really love all the members, and will always check out their side projects or videos they do. They're great. Just don't think much of their last few albums or the direction they seem happy to be going. I'll always hope that this will change. Who knows?

But apparently, I'm the person overstaying my welcome. So since this forum is about liking DT, and I don't want my posts subject to this level of analysis simply because they're not praising DT, I'll just limit my comments to positive or neutral statements, which won't be as plentiful. Such is life.

Chill brother, it’s only music, it’s all good. As I said before, no hard feelings whatsoever, to each his own. Peace ✌️

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2206 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »
Of course all opinions are legit, but I fail to understand why people waste their time writing on the Internet about music they don't like (...anymore..)

It's not politics, where you are "forced" to be governed by somebody that in many cases you don't like...and you are affected by that even if you don't want to.
And it's certainly not prescribed by a doctor.

There are zillions of bands out there, and there is certainly (..hopefully) at least one "good" one for everybody...so why don't just go there and write about positive things?

I can understand some negative comments about something you love (e.g. your girlfriend wearing sneakers one day... :biggrin:) but why waste time about something you don't like and you are not obliged to "stand"?

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2207 on: January 21, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
I wish it was that way. I have always said that my favorite music genre is one where I hate 95% of the music in it. In my opinion there aren't actually a lot of good prog metal acts.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: January 21, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »

There are zillions of bands out there, and there is certainly (..hopefully) at least one "good" one for everybody...so why don't just go there and write about positive things?

BOHICA ;D

Adami, please don't post any less. I, for one, enjoy reading your posts.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2209 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
I wish it was that way. I have always said that my favorite music genre is one where I hate 95% of the music in it. In my opinion there aren't actually a lot of good prog metal acts.

:tup
I've tried to convince my self that I love "prog metal"/ "prog hard rock", but the truth is that I only "love" Dream theater...

I've tried with Haken, Leprous, Circus Maximus, all of Portnoy bands...but they bore me to death.
When the random mp3 player on my car starts playing "This life is a dream...." (quote) I have to skip immediately otherwise I literally fall asleep... :\
I know they are great musicians and all the rest...but they never clicked on me.
IMHO, they all miss the "magic pop touch" ( :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:) that DT has...

And I won't spend one single second in my life to write on their forums or Facebook pages.

There are of course many things about DT that I don't like (e.g. all the period from ToT to BC&SL is not my cup of tea...), but I am still in love with them and that's why I spend some time here.

And this is by the way an EXCELLENT forum.

The Italian pages are just full of stupid complaints about "please Mike come back".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2210 on: January 21, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
IMHO, they all miss the "magic pop touch" ( :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:) that DT has...

I think DT's great skill is that in all the flurry of skill and odd meters, JP doesn't lose sight of the song. He makes sure that the bedrock of the song is a strong chord progression.

Offline flintdragon

« Reply #2211 on: January 21, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »

:tup
I've tried to convince my self that I love "prog metal"/ "prog hard rock", but the truth is that I only "love" Dream theater...

I've tried with Haken, Leprous, Circus Maximus, all of Portnoy bands...but they bore me to death.

Wow... this is me totally.  I've tried most of what others would recommend is worth a listen for DT fans. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2212 on: January 21, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »

I think DT's great skill is that in all the flurry of skill and odd meters, JP doesn't lose sight of the song. He makes sure that the bedrock of the song is a strong chord progression.

Yes, That's it! Plus, I have the impression that DT, by creating such masterpieces imo as I&W, Awake or SFAM, kinda killed the genre they helped "create". I've heard good metal prog acts, but they didn't last long before either creating uninteresting music or totally disappearing.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2213 on: January 21, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »

:lol

Sadly true. Especially the modern prog metal and all the chug-chug riffs  :facepalm:

Prog metal is a "complicated" genre.

I've arrived to the point where, if I come across a new band labeled "Prog Metal", I let it go (few exceptions).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2214 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »

Well, for me is the other way around... if prog metal was our solar system, DT would be the sun: 98% or something of the mass of it, and everything revolves around them.

I have always been a Dream Theater fan more than a prog metal fan, this doesn't mean that I don't like the genre - I dig a lot Symphony X and Ayreon for example, but even if I did my musical explorations here and there, it's not that I'm like "Oh, since DT is so good, I have to discover every possible prog band there is out there". I like the genre, but all the other bands of it combined probably wouldn't match how much I like DT, just like all the other mass in the solar system put together can't match up the one of the Sun.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2215 on: January 21, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Most of the prog metal bands I've heard don't really have a strong writing ability and tend to rely on genre cliches and common tropes as a crutch to replace that. Despite all the memes, solos are only a small portion of Dream Theater's songs and most of the music they write is, shocker, in 4/4. There are also clear, definite patterns to how they use meter changes and certain meters tend to "pair" together. Even if it's unintentional it seems like it's intentional, and that's what's important. Besides a few other big bands like Opeth, Tool, Haken, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, and Ne Obliviscaris, a lot of bands don't have that feeling.

And also this. I think the bigger part of it is just how good at writing melodies the band is. Even the more crazy complicated riffs (like The Test That Stumped Them All) have a clear, understandable melodic logic to them. Sure, the melodies aren't Taylor Swift or traditional music-level good, but they are still good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2216 on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:19 AM »
Italian track by track of the new album:

https://metalitalia.com/articolo/dream-theater-il-nuovo-distance-over-time-traccia-per-traccia/

A very short recap for the other seven songs:

Paralyzed has a dark riff, almost stoner, the atmosphere is reflective and melanchonic. It changes towards the end thanks  to Petrucci (it's not specified if it's because of a solo or just the guitar work). "Maybe not memorable but solid".

Barstool Warrior since the immediate beginning has a cosmic, psyschedelic atmosphere, with a piano work vaguely reminding of Led Zeppelin. The atmosphere is uplifting, the bridge gives the idea of a slow journey through your own convinctions to understand what's the right way to go. It ends "too soon" apparently.

Room 137 has another rocky and heavy riff, James as well is more aggressive than usual. The solo has somehow blues feels.

S2N starts with he bass, and the verse is particularly upbeat; there are "robotic effects" on the voice for a song that is reflective and yet pumps you up. There are two solos on the song, with the last one that will get every guitar lover drooling.

At Wit's End is not described that much in detail. It's said to be the one most reminiscent of classic, recent Dream Theater, has a very memorable bridge and the end is soft and almost sweet.

Out of Reach is described as basically the token, mandatory "DT ballad".

Pale Blue Dot is heavy in line with modern metal, and the keyboards add an epic feel, almost orchestral. The seven strings guitar is notable here, and the song is described as probably the one that will go down better with fans.

Viper King, the bonus track, has a weird and almost dance-able structure, "almost swing"; it has however heavy and strong musicianship. Described as an happy tune all in all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2217 on: January 22, 2019, 07:36:44 AM »
^ Cool, thanks for posting! There are some interesting notes there. Based on this and a couple other reviews, I'm really looking forward to hearing Barstool Warrior and Pale Blue Dot.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
At Wit's End is not described that much in detail. It's said to be the one most reminiscent of classic, recent Dream Theater, has a very memorable bridge and the end is soft and almost sweet.

To me, "classic" and "recent" DT are polar opposites  :P  Could it have a mix of the classic sound of the 90s/early 2000s with the more recent sound perhaps?

And "Pale Blue Dot" has piqued my interest.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2219 on: January 22, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
Italian track by track of the new album:

https://metalitalia.com/articolo/dream-theater-il-nuovo-distance-over-time-traccia-per-traccia/

Thks...it is written in very weird Italian though, looks like the guy didn't want to express any real opinion but only "facts", but some sentences seem to come out of Google translator.

Anyway, S2N and Pale Blue Dot should be the most interesting, followed by Barstool.
Could not understand anything about At Wit's End..key words there are "similar to recent, virtuosity, modular, long bridge, broken rhythm, fade out, long silence, final glimmer of light"-- :\

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2220 on: January 22, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
Actual translation... sorry Zydar for having slipped in "classic", I actually misread:

"At Wit's End" is probably the track that comes closest to what Dream Theater has done in the most recent works, as can be clearly distinguished from its virtuosity and a modular pace that does not take long to break the rhythm of the song, with a bridge even more massive than what was previously done that goes on, until culminating culminating in a sort of lasting and almost sweet fading, which in turn ends in a long silence, before returning again operational with a last glimmer of life, perhaps necessary to allow the listener to prepare psychologically for the true and effective ballad of the package.

Yeah, I'd say that the reviewer himself is a prog one, going for needlessly complicated words and examples  :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: January 22, 2019, 08:00:51 AM »
Ah, thanks :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2222 on: January 22, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
Actual translation... sorry Zydar for having slipped in "classic", I actually misread:

"At Wit's End" is probably the track that comes closest to what Dream Theater has done in the most recent works, as can be clearly distinguished from its virtuosity and a modular pace that does not take long to break the rhythm of the song, with a bridge even more massive than what was previously done that goes on, until culminating culminating in a sort of lasting and almost sweet fading, which in turn ends in a long silence, before returning again operational with a last glimmer of life, perhaps necessary to allow the listener to prepare psychologically for the true and effective ballad of the package.

Yeah, I'd say that the reviewer himself is a prog one, going for needlessly complicated words and examples  :lol

Great...prog translation of the prog-style review!
 ;D ;D

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2223 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »
So if I read that correctly, the ending of At Wit’s End sets the mood for Out of Reach. Nice

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2224 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
So if I read that correctly, the ending of At Wit’s End sets the mood for Out of Reach. Nice

Sort of us...it does not state that the 2 songs are "musically connected" (Noxon already denied that), but just that the "mood" is the same.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2225 on: January 22, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
So far, all these reviews have got me excited for every song except Out of Reach. Everybody is calling it just the obligatory ballad of the album and nothing more. Hope it ends up being very good too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: January 22, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »
there are "robotic effects" on the voice for a song that is reflective and yet pumps you up.

Hmm, like Constant Motion or Nomac style robotic vocals?  :justjen
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2227 on: January 22, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
Good job the ballads are all really awesome then, isn't it? It's total nonsense that slower songs are just seen as merely "obligatory" rather than a vital part of the flow of an album. Every great album has its share of faster and slower songs, of heavier and softer songs.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2228 on: January 22, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
there are "robotic effects" on the voice for a song that is reflective and yet pumps you up.

I think they’ll be similar to the first vocal part on The Great Debate.

Good job the ballads are all really awesome then, isn't it? It's total nonsense that slower songs are just seen as merely "obligatory" rather than a vital part of the flow of an album. Every great album has its share of faster and slower songs, of heavier and softer songs.

I agree, that’s one of the reasons why I don’t consider TOT a balanced album. It’s pretty much all in your face metal with Vacant being the only breather, and it’s very short.

My comment on Out of Reach was because none of the reviews I’ve read so far comment on it other than “the ballad of the album” and “DT softer side”.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »

I think they’ll be similar to the first vocal part on The Great Debate.

Robotic vocals are almost always a bad idea. Like in TGD and CM. Sounds just horrible.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: January 22, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »
Any time James sings in what I would consider his normal manner are a disaster.

Though I wouldn't lump the NOMAC sounds under "vocals."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2231 on: January 23, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here, here's a podcast with JP and JR on the album and the 5 best prog instrumentals.

https://progreport.com/podcast-prog-report-top-5-prog-instrumentals/?fbclid=IwAR2oEydroA4nslgKDoa1lY337AhQmgWoCNyhSknGHZL0_PsW40vFSby4ROM
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2232 on: January 23, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here, here's a podcast with JP and JR on the album and the 5 best prog instrumentals.

https://progreport.com/podcast-prog-report-top-5-prog-instrumentals/?fbclid=IwAR2oEydroA4nslgKDoa1lY337AhQmgWoCNyhSknGHZL0_PsW40vFSby4ROM

Yeah I just listened to that, pretty cool!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2233 on: January 23, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
I don’t have an hour to listen to it right now, can anyone list the highlights of it?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2234 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »

Yeah I just listened to that, pretty cool!

Yeah. Real fun listen. Had a bit of a road trip for work and this was perfect to kill the time.

I don’t have an hour to listen to it right now, can anyone list the highlights of it?

Kind of tough to as it was really just conversation and them discussing ‘why’ they liked the particular songs they chose. But I did get the name of a couple new bands to check out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2235 on: January 23, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
The favourites from each one, from 5 to 1:
John: Return to Forever - Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant (Part I and II); Animal as Leaders - Tempting Time; Metallica - Orion; Dixie Dregs - I'm Freaking Out; Rush - La Villa Strangiato.
Jordan: Refugee [Patrick Moraz (Yes) band] - Papillion;  Special Providence - Distant Knowledge (Jordan praised a lot the keyboard player); Kansas - The Spider; King Crimson - Red; ELP - Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression.
Prog Report: Dixie Dregs - Odyssey; Rush - YYZ; Genesis - Los Endos; LTE - When The Water Breaks ;D; Dream Theater - Dance of Eternity ;D ;D.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2236 on: January 23, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
cheers for that post

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2237 on: January 24, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
Well then, looks like I have something to listen to. A lot of songs I don't know!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2238 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
Soooo, if anyone was looking to order the Artbook or Box Set from Amazon, they're currently listed as "Unavailable". My guess is that their allotted number of pre-orders were met in the last day or two, so I'm guessing they're not going to get any more of the Box Sets. I guess dropping the price to just under $120 made every on-the-fence fan pull the trigger on buying (it did for me!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2239 on: January 25, 2019, 02:01:03 AM »
New video interview with JP:
https://youtu.be/9WVGX3jH6zg