Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253719 times)

Offline DT89

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2170 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2171 on: January 18, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
Came in just to post this. Looks like we're getting once again a different cover art for each set of lyrics!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2172 on: January 18, 2019, 11:48:09 AM »
Kind of dark lyrics. I wonder if the music will be heavy with a sense of urgency?
I wonder what starts the signal to noise,,, maybe it's karma.  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2173 on: January 18, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
Looks good except I *really* hope the pictures showing the cover are a mock up and not the real deal. The band font on the cover of the book is the crappy DT font that's been circulating since forever, and not the proper font. I'd be very disappointed if that was the case, especially given the official cover artwork has the proper font.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2174 on: January 18, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
Kind of dark lyrics. I wonder if the music will be heavy with a sense of urgency?

On the other hand I see the chorus as being possibly optimistic, offering the "solution". So maybe we'll have dark heavy verses and the chorus will be more uplifting.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Now we should make a competition to make a song with those lyrics and see who will be the nearest to the original  ;D
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline rab7

« Reply #2176 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
Now we should make a competition to make a song with those lyrics and see who will be the nearest to the original  ;D

We do have a good starting point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rxmfa8OPA

Offline Dedalus

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2178 on: January 18, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Also, they just posted pictures of the D/T artbook on their facebook page.  You can see the lyrics for S2N in this one: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50221021_10155793449142181_6596288662428712960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=16eaac1a5a04efcdfad0676580fdca66&oe=5CB7522A

Lyrics by JM and JP.

Yeah, that's what I read too, was about to ask if any could confirm it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2179 on: January 18, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
It's sad I've gotten to a point where if I see "Lyrics by JM" I go "ehhhhhh" and lose interest.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2180 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:35 PM »
Kind of dark lyrics. I wonder if the music will be heavy with a false sense of urgency trapped in my phobia possessed by anxiety?

fixed  :hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2181 on: January 18, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »
I just accidentally discovered an album because JR played some  guest solos on it, released last year. I really hope JR has a solo like this on the new DT album too. Much more melodic and it really shows off how expressive his lead sound can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgv5kSl7Kk&t=3m35s

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2182 on: January 18, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
It's sad I've gotten to a point where if I see "Lyrics by JM" I go "ehhhhhh" and lose interest.

I’ve gotten to a point where if I see people having preconceived notions without hearing a song or album yet, I go “ehhhhhh” and lose interest.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2183 on: January 18, 2019, 11:26:17 PM »
I’ve gotten to a point where if I see people having preconceived notions without hearing a song or album yet, I go “ehhhhhh” and lose interest.
Same...

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #2184 on: January 19, 2019, 01:55:16 AM »
Wisdom was revealed in 2011, yet it’s taken a further 8 years for the message to be revealed.. This is unnaceptable

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2185 on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »

Well, Adami, you've hinted at it many times, but I think you've come to a point where DT's no longer your thing. Tbh, I'm not where you are now, but I may at some point. Contrary to you (if my memory serves me well), I love TA but after 26 years listening to the band, I'm not as hyped as before when an album is released (so much so that I didn't listen to their 2 singles, something that would have been unimaginable just a few years ago).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2186 on: January 20, 2019, 04:11:11 AM »
Looks good except I *really* hope the pictures showing the cover are a mock up and not the real deal. The band font on the cover of the book is the crappy DT font that's been circulating since forever, and not the proper font. I'd be very disappointed if that was the case, especially given the official cover artwork has the proper font.

I have no idea what you mean. Could you explain?

Thanks Marc for the Amazon box set advice! I'm actually thinking about it now.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Adami

« Reply #2187 on: January 20, 2019, 08:54:13 AM »

Well luckily that's not what happened.

Well, Adami, you've hinted at it many times, but I think you've come to a point where DT's no longer your thing. Tbh, I'm not where you are now, but I may at some point. Contrary to you (if my memory serves me well), I love TA but after 26 years listening to the band, I'm not as hyped as before when an album is released (so much so that I didn't listen to their 2 singles, something that would have been unimaginable just a few years ago).

B.Lee

A much more polite response, and sadly true. I guess I was just reflecting on how sad it is since DT was my entry into this kind of music like 20 years ago. They have a really important part in my music history and I still dig the older stuff. Just unfortunate to not connect with their output anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2188 on: January 20, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »

B.Lee

A much more polite response, and sadly true. I guess I was just reflecting on how sad it is since DT was my entry into this kind of music like 20 years ago. They have a really important part in my music history and I still dig the older stuff. Just unfortunate to not connect with their output anymore.

I almost came to that point after the "debacle" that represent, for me, the 3-album run 8vm, SC and BC&SL. I wouldn't have liked ADToE, frankly, that would have been it for me. Hopefully, that didn't happen, but, once again, I feel I'm at a turning point now, simply not as far as you are.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2189 on: January 20, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »
I used to be in a very similar spot as Adami. At some point I realized that it was my history with DT (i.e. them being my undisputed #1 band for almost two decades) made me judge their current output with a measuring stick they simply never will live up to. Simply ain't gonna happen from this point on.

Interestingly though, that realization made me split DT in two: the IAW->6DOIT band that I still hold dearly in my heart, and the ToT->Now band that I'm only so-so into. But because of that split, me only being so-so into modern DT is fine, and I listen to new releases with mild interest. A few songs I like, a lot of them I don't. But that's ok enough for me for modern DT.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2190 on: January 20, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
I used to be in a very similar spot as Adami. At some point I realized that it was my history with DT (i.e. them being my undisputed #1 band for almost two decades) made me judge their current output with a measuring stick they simply never will live up to. Simply ain't gonna happen from this point on.

Interestingly though, that realization made me split DT in two: the IAW->6DOIT band that I still hold dearly in my heart, and the ToT->Now band that I'm only so-so into. But because of that split, me only being so-so into modern DT is fine, and I listen to new releases with mild interest. A few songs I like, a lot of them I don't. But that's ok enough for me for modern DT.

Well that's not really where I'm at. I'm not comparing their new stuff with their old stuff. I still really love Illumination Theory (well most of it anyway) and a BAI.

I just don't connect with the new music or lyrics. I don't judge a band by how good they are compared to what they did. Just if I like it or not. I'm one of the guys who loves when a band changes and evolves. I just have to like the output. DT's current philosophy on music and lyrics doesn't do much for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2191 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:54 PM »
I just don't connect with the new music or lyrics. I don't judge a band by how good they are compared to what they did. Just if I like it or not. I'm one of the guys who loves when a band changes and evolves. I just have to like the output. DT's current philosophy on music and lyrics doesn't do much for me.

Could you elaborate more on what you don't like about their current music and lyric approach? Not trying to make a point or anything, just want to understand what you're saying a little more.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2192 on: January 20, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »

Could you elaborate more on what you don't like about their current music and lyric approach? Not trying to make a point or anything, just want to understand what you're saying a little more.

I just don't connect to it. The music, to me, sounds (with exception) rather sterile and mechanical. I'm not hearing a lot of life. The lyrics, again just to me, come off as bland and uninspired (not that they are, they just sound that way to me). I don't connect with the subjects they're singing about, I find much of the actual writing to be a bit cliche and generic. Again, just to me.

And this isn't a 100% or black and white thing. There's riffs/melodies I really like. Just not as many of them, and not whole songs (for the most part).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2193 on: January 20, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
I just don't connect to it. The music, to me, sounds (with exception) rather sterile and mechanical. I'm not hearing a lot of life. The lyrics, again just to me, come off as bland and uninspired (not that they are, they just sound that way to me). I don't connect with the subjects they're singing about, I find much of the actual writing to be a bit cliche and generic. Again, just to me.

Not saying I feel the same way, because I definitely don't, but I think most of these "issues" could be fixed with an external producer shaking things up a bit. I love modern DT and am REALLY excited for D/T dropping in about a month, but I think they would benefit from a different perspective for future albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2194 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:07 AM »

Well that's not really where I'm at. I'm not comparing their new stuff with their old stuff. I still really love Illumination Theory (well most of it anyway) and a BAI.

This is fine, but if you state it’s not about judging and comparing and just if you like it or not, then why make a statement that you lose interest if JM is writing the lyrics? Surely based off that it wouldn’t be about who wrote it, just you like the finished product. Odd as well when he penned the lyrics for one of the modern songs you listed you do actually enjoy in BAI.

In any case, not trying to start up a shitstorm, I just think there are some inconsistencies in some of the comments. Which is understandable if you feel you aren’t connecting much with the music anymore. Hopefully there may be some nice moments on the new album that restore something for you  :tup

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2195 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:03 AM »
Maybe not the place, but I like that Kirk mentions DT at 17:24 in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMc24819DXk

Offline Adami

« Reply #2196 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »

This is fine, but if you state it’s not about judging and comparing and just if you like it or not, then why make a statement that you lose interest if JM is writing the lyrics? Surely based off that it wouldn’t be about who wrote it, just you like the finished product. Odd as well when he penned the lyrics for one of the modern songs you listed you do actually enjoy in BAI.

In any case, not trying to start up a shitstorm, I just think there are some inconsistencies in some of the comments. Which is understandable if you feel you aren’t connecting much with the music anymore. Hopefully there may be some nice moments on the new album that restore something for you  :tup

My statement about JM was meant to illustrate how disappointed I was that this was the case. I really liked his lyrics pre-SFAM. So while you could call that comparing, it's not that I need his lyrics to be as good as they were then and I can't like them for what they are, it's that I just don't like them, and it's a shame considering how good they used to be. And I do like BAI.....musically. I like the vocals too, just don't care much for the lyrics. It's not like I hear them and go "OH GOD THESE LYRICS RUIN EVERYTHING" I just kind of ignore them because they, to me, feel very bland and cliche.

Also why are you looking for inconsistencies? If someone says they prefer MM era of MP era, are they subject to this level of critical analysis? Or are only positive opinions welcome? Are you trying to prove I have some kind of ulterior motive or something? I mean, I just don't connect with much of it anymore and I find a lot of it to be mechanical, cliche, and boring. It sucks, but it's just what it is. My tastes have obviously just changed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2197 on: January 21, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
I assume the "studio walkthrough" video interview has been discussed. Pretty neat idea! It's also pretty cool to have the entire band frequently involved in these interview. I wouldn't be surprised if JMX has spoken more during this pre-album promo period than all the other ones put together.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2198 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:33 AM »
Maybe not the place, but I like that Kirk mentions DT at 17:24 in this interview:

That’s awesome cuz Metallica is my fav band with DT being 2nd and I never thought Metallica even knew who DT was or even cared. I know Lars and MP know each other but didn’t think it went further than that.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2199 on: January 21, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »

That’s awesome cuz Metallica is my fav band with DT being 2nd and I never thought Metallica even knew who DT was or even cared. I know Lars and MP know each other but didn’t think it went further than that.

When I met Lars back in like...2004? I think? It was after DT covered MoP in it's entirety. I got super nervous and just asked him what he thought (douche move on my part, but I just froze) and Lars was really complimentary to DT and their take on the album, as well as MP's drumming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2200 on: January 21, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »

When I met Lars back in like...2004? I think? It was after DT covered MoP in it's entirety. I got super nervous and just asked him what he thought (douche move on my part, but I just froze) and Lars was really complimentary to DT and their take on the album, as well as MP's drumming.

That’s awesome. I’ve never heard Hetfield acknowledge them though 😕

Offline Adami

« Reply #2201 on: January 21, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
Yea. When I met Hetfield, he was........off. This wasn't too long after rehab for him. We mostly just talked guitars and he came off as very drunk, but I think it was just whatever meds he was on after rehab. Lars was by far the most personable and nice of the bunch. Not that the others weren't. Super nice band all in all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2202 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »

My statement about JM was meant to illustrate how disappointed I was that this was the case. I really liked his lyrics pre-SFAM. So while you could call that comparing, it's not that I need his lyrics to be as good as they were then and I can't like them for what they are, it's that I just don't like them, and it's a shame considering how good they used to be. And I do like BAI.....musically. I like the vocals too, just don't care much for the lyrics. It's not like I hear them and go "OH GOD THESE LYRICS RUIN EVERYTHING" I just kind of ignore them because they, to me, feel very bland and cliche.

Also why are you looking for inconsistencies? If someone says they prefer MM era of MP era, are they subject to this level of critical analysis? Or are only positive opinions welcome? Are you trying to prove I have some kind of ulterior motive or something? I mean, I just don't connect with much of it anymore and I find a lot of it to be mechanical, cliche, and boring. It sucks, but it's just what it is. My tastes have obviously just changed.

I'm not looking for inconsistencies at all. It's just what seems to appear these days when you write posts. Which like you stated, may come from the result that you have kinda moved past what the band is offering - and that is ok. And of course it's not only positive opinions that are welcome. But when a majority of posts seem to have a predictable, negative spin, then that also becomes a little tiresome. Because they have put out some great, recent music.

As a comparison, a few years ago, one of our friends came over and basically outstayed his welcome. My ex-wife was an angry soul, and it got to the point that even if he just greeted her with a "good morning", she would get pissed off, as she just wanted him gone. Poor bloke couldn't even cheerfully greet her by the end  ;D A bit of a lighthearted example, but I do wonder with some who don't like DT'S newer stuff, is there a bit of this going on? As they went in a different direction possibly to some of the fans tates, can some just not bring themselves to like much of anything new they do, even if it's pretty good? Not saying this is the case with you, but something that always crossed my mind. In any case, no hard feelings mate, to each his own. Peace  :tup

Offline Adami

« Reply #2203 on: January 21, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »
Just to be clear, I don't hate any of DT's newer stuff. I don't put on FITL and go "GOOD GOD WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE THIS CRAP MUST BE DESTROYED". I just listen and don't feel much. That's it. Death Magnetic by Metallica is an album I actively dislike. Like, I will not listen to it. DT's music doesn't do that to me. I just feel....nothing....toward most of it.

It's kind of like Kevin Smith. I love his movies even up to and including Jersey Girl. But everything after that? Do not like it. Red State? Tusk? Gross. Bad movies. Is it because I want them to be like his early films? Nope. They're just bad films in and of themselves. But I looooove Kevin Smith. I will watch anything he does on Youtube where it's just him. I also love when he directs episodes of other shows. DT is similar. I still really love all the members, and will always check out their side projects or videos they do. They're great. Just don't think much of their last few albums or the direction they seem happy to be going. I'll always hope that this will change. Who knows?

But apparently, I'm the person overstaying my welcome. So since this forum is about liking DT, and I don't want my posts subject to this level of analysis simply because they're not praising DT, I'll just limit my comments to positive or neutral statements, which won't be as plentiful. Such is life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2204 on: January 21, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
Albums you already like have an emotional connection. But new albums need to find that emotional connection, and if that type of music just isn't what you're interested in, then obviously that emotional connection won't be there.