Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254373 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2135 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
The two songs have heavy moments, but I do not feel a dark vibe in them. And I hope no song from the next album has that vibe, because DT has already proven that they don't know how to make good dark songs.
They have done some pretty heavy songs but have made them too light hearted to be considered dark.  I do love the concept of TDEN though, a monster that has come up from the depths of the unknown to wreak havoc.  I want more songs like that, except with an even heavier darker edge!

I think it's a matter of different tastes. I consider TDEN to be one of DT's worst songs, if not worse.
Really? Their worst?? :justjen
lol, I respect your opinion but TDEN has so many DT sig moments of what they're all about. Heavy, melodic, fun, quirky, great hooks and choruses etc. The opening riff itself could easily be a great soundtrack to a monster movie. It sounds like something formidable is coming and it's time to run like hell!
 It looks as if there will be a heavy song or two on D/T after reading the review.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:46:07 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2136 on: January 16, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
I like the heaviness of TDEN but have never been a fan of the song either. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2137 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »
Count me in among those who totally loathe Dark Eternal Night. It seemed to me they were trying too hard to have a way too heavy song, but the lyrics are horrible and what to be expected by 20 years old newcomers trying to be cool and scary, not from DT. It doesn't help that there's the mandatory, for that time period, "let's stop the song and stick in whatever comes up in the first 5 minutes of jamming" solo section.

I concede that the riff is cool and I have to admit that live it comes off better, but still... where do I have to sign to never hear that song, especially live, ever again? if you all like it it's fine of course, lucky you, you have 9 minutes more of DT discography to enjoy  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: January 16, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
Yea the riffage is great and I love some good wankery but the middle instrumental section just feels like circus music and then you add the lyrics and it's just not something I enjoy that much.  It's better live for sure, but having seen it live a handful of times now, I could live without it again.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2139 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
The two songs have heavy moments, but I do not feel a dark vibe in them. And I hope no song from the next album has that vibe, because DT has already proven that they don't know how to make good dark songs.
They have done some pretty heavy songs but have made them too light hearted to be considered dark.  I do love the concept of TDEN though, a monster that has come up from the depths of the unknown to wreak havoc.  I want more songs like that, except with an even heavier darker edge!

I think it's a matter of different tastes. I consider TDEN to be one of DT's worst songs, if not worse.
Okay, but you were talking about "dark" and "heavy," not "worst."  Those are unrelated.

As far as DT doing dark, I guess it's just a matter of degree.  Awake, TOT, and BCSL definitely have a lot of darker moments.  But "dark" for DT might not be quite as dark as some other metal bands.  They also like to infuse a lot of positivity and introspection into their music.  Redemption is another band that comes to mind.  A lot of the concepts Nick explores in Redemption's music and lyrics is quite dark.  But at the same time, a common theme throughout their music and lyrics is finding hope in the darkness, so there is also a lighter, brighter vibe that transcends the darkness in their music as well and might cause a lot of people to overlook the darkness.  That doesn't mean it isn't there and isn't prominent.  Darkness is prominent, but it never gets TOO dark, and almost always resolves on a lighter, hopeful note.

Okay, maybe I did not know how to express myself.

I was saying that when the DT goes by the dark side, I usually do not like it. Maybe in that sense that I meant. I used to say I had problems with the heavier side of the DT, but FITL has a really heavy riff, but I loved it! So I tried to "separate" the "heavy" from the "dark." I don't Know if it makes sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2140 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
where do I have to sign to never hear that song, especially live, ever again?

Well, the problem you have it twofold:
1.  It tends to get a great audience reaction; and
2.  JP knows it and loves the song.

They are pretty good about not overplaying songs every tour.  But TDEN is one that I would expect to come back fairly regularly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2141 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
I was saying that when the DT goes by the dark side, I usually do not like it. Maybe in that sense that I meant. I used to say I had problems with the heavier side of the DT, but FITL has a really heavy riff, but I loved it! So I tried to "separate" the "heavy" from the "dark." I don't Know if it makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense.  I understand you.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2142 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night is a weird one for me.  I like the riff, I like the chorus, and I like the instrumental section.  But I really dislike the vocals in the verses - especially the studio version.  Live it seems a lot better, especially lately. They have James singing live along with a backing track of James and it seems to work better. Still not my favorite vocal Melody by any means but I don't mind it live so much.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »

Well when you open with it (as they did with the last tour), it'll get a good reaction.  From reading here it always seems like its a loved/hated song.  But I can't argue the JP point, if he likes it which I know he does then it's going to be hard to reason why he shouldn't play it.  But since they are good at not playing the same songs over and over, I don't expect it to come back too soon.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2144 on: January 16, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
Count me in among those who totally loathe Dark Eternal Night. It seemed to me they were trying too hard to have a way too heavy song, but the lyrics are horrible and what to be expected by 20 years old newcomers trying to be cool and scary, not from DT. It doesn't help that there's the mandatory, for that time period, "let's stop the song and stick in whatever comes up in the first 5 minutes of jamming" solo section.

I concede that the riff is cool and I have to admit that live it comes off better, but still... where do I have to sign to never hear that song, especially live, ever again? if you all like it it's fine of course, lucky you, you have 9 minutes more of DT discography to enjoy  :D

:rollin

Exactly!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2019, 01:26:48 PM »
where do I have to sign to never hear that song, especially live, ever again?

Well, the problem you have it twofold:
2.  JP knows it and loves the song.

They are pretty good about not overplaying songs every tour.  But TDEN is one that I would expect to come back fairly regularly.
At last, I have someone in my corner!  :lol :tup
As far as the circus type break section, it's likely a bit of a Zappa influence which isn't a bad thing.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline dream75

« Reply #2146 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
I think that TDEN is one of the worst songs  :tdwn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2147 on: January 16, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
I get why some do not like The Dark Eternal Night - I think it was utter crap the first time I heard it - but I enjoy it for what it is.  To me, it is their big dumb metal song that fits the scary movie vibe of Systematic Chaos.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2148 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
It’s not my favourite on record (although I think it has a really strong chorus) but despite me not really liking the song that much, it’s a really good fun live song when you see it in person. It always gets a really great reception.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: January 16, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
It had a fun cartoon video to go with it during the Systematic Chaos tour and I'll agree it fits the vibe of that album well.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2150 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
I think SC is a really bad album.

But it is true that TDEN fits the vibe of that album well.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2151 on: January 16, 2019, 02:37:26 PM »
The reviews sound promising, especially the positive comments regarding the production/sound quality.
The first two songs are really good, with FitL bordering on great. I have a feeling this may turn out to
be a top tier album. I would be truly happy if I end up loving it and wanting to spin it regularly. Can't wait
to hear Pale Blue Dot!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2152 on: January 16, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
Reviews have my ears tingling in anticipation.

Interesting points about dark and DT. I think that ITPOE is the only really good thing on SC. TDEN is super dumb, but I like that about it. It's clearly not trying too hard to be dark or sinister or edgy but has a good dose of knowing wink about it, which I'm ok with. TOT, on the other hand, i feel is trying way too hard and sounds ridiculous to me. I never listen to either record anymore.

I'm trying to say that i don't feel they're a dark band at all. Awake was v introspective so that was about as close to dark as they've been, imo. But "pensive", rather than dark, I'd probably say. That was the problem with a lot of latter MP stuff. He was clearly totally committed to being seen as one of the really metal guys but it just doesn't sit right in DT.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2153 on: January 16, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
Reading these reviews I can tell that I am not only waiting but I am LONGING to hear D/T  :metal
These two singles really show how DT is still capable to produce really good music. Why isn't it February already?
Can't wait to see them in Verona in July..

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2154 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »
TDEN night is like a lot of SC for me, the music equivalent of a (well executed) big dumb summer blockbuster. Nowhere near the substance or "artistry" of DT's best releases, but it's a fun album to just throw on and rock out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2155 on: January 16, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
TDEN is one of the worst songs on one of the worst albums in their catalogue IMO.

The instrumental breakdown is good though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: January 16, 2019, 10:35:44 PM »
There isn't anything I like about TDEN. I liked SC quite a bit when it came out too, and still enjoy the majority of it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2157 on: January 17, 2019, 01:17:58 AM »
I. DONT. CARE. what anyone thinks!  TDEN is a awesome song and I'm proud to be in the minority here. 
 :biggrin: :metal
It makes want to go out and buy a seven string guitar.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2158 on: January 17, 2019, 01:28:56 AM »
Apart from the horrible lyrics (which is nothing new for post-Octavarium Petrucci), i find TDEN enjoyable and quite unique instrumentally.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2159 on: January 17, 2019, 01:37:00 AM »
I. DONT. CARE. what anyone thinks!  TDEN is a awesome song and I'm proud to be in the minority here. 

As you should be, if following a genre shunned by the mainstream (metal and all its derivates) taught us anything, is Screw what the majority thinks!  :metal

(still, the song sucks bwhahaha)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2160 on: January 17, 2019, 03:01:33 AM »
Ehm...isn't this tread on D/T?

Last two pages are on TDEN... ??? ???
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2161 on: January 17, 2019, 03:21:00 AM »
So there's a new Majesty guitar coming out, i was wondering if the audio from the trailer is coming from D/T...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=GFBRiLgbd0U

I could see it coming from Pale Blue Dot for some reason...

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2162 on: January 17, 2019, 03:34:26 AM »
From the first review, my heart pounded and pumped hard from the hype
Especially about pale dot and the remains of the second half of the album.
I read LTE, metropolis, octavarium etc...in this review and it made me crazy (good).
One big month to go mates !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2163 on: January 17, 2019, 03:44:14 AM »

This kind of deviating behavior is commonplace in DT forums.  Now it's the TDET.. 🎶TTHE DAARRK EEETERRNAL THREAD🎶 !

As far as the new Majesty guitar, it looks the same as the Monarchy but with a full flamed maple top and neck.  The music is probably not DT related but you never know. It would be cool if there was a pale blue dot on the 14th fret, being that it's their 14th album.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:51:25 AM by Architeuthis »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2164 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:02 AM »
So there's a new Majesty guitar coming out, i was wondering if the audio from the trailer is coming from D/T...

Now that you say it, it does sound like it could be the PBD intro. It’d fit with the reviewers calling it other worldly music.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2165 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »

Well, except that you really AREN'T in the minority.  Most people like it, no matter that a handful of people have posted in the thread that they don't.

Oh, just in time for NAMM!  :biggrin:

This.  Let's get back on topic.  There are other places to discuss TDEN.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2166 on: January 17, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
Oh, just in time for NAMM!  :biggrin:

Exactly my thoughts! :D I will be at NAMM next week and was hoping for a new sexy majesty to look at :)

Anyways, we are (almost) 5 weeks away from release of D/T. Track by Track video was released for FITL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2167 on: January 17, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »
Very cool!   It's great seeing JM had some good lyrical and musical contributions to this album. DT wouldn't be the same without him. Thanks for the link!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2168 on: January 18, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
As of this post, the d/t box set is down to $119.59 on Amazon for preorder! Not sure when it'll jump back up but I just placed my preorder just in case! Saving that extra $30 makes quite a difference!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DT89

« Reply #2169 on: January 18, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
As of this post, the d/t box set is down to $119.59 on Amazon for preorder! Not sure when it'll jump back up but I just placed my preorder just in case! Saving that extra $30 makes quite a difference!

-Marc.
Thank you for this!  I just put in a pre-order as well.