Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253793 times)

Offline porcacultor

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2100 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:29 AM »
Still not seeing much love for the chorus... surely there must be others out there? I think it's one of the nicest chord progressions they've come out with for a long time.

Here!! I loved the chorus and was surprised at how much people didn't care for it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2101 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
I'm not sure which "people" didn't care for it.  It's great.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2102 on: January 15, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
The chorus is pretty awesome!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline genome

« Reply #2103 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »

Seen a few comments - not necessarily on here

Still not seeing much love for the chorus... surely there must be others out there? I think it's one of the nicest chord progressions they've come out with for a long time.

No. You are alone.

Well you're not allowed to be a part of the Bbsus2-Dm-Am-Ebsus2-Dm-Fm-Csus2 fan club then.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2104 on: January 15, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »

No. You are alone.

Well you're not allowed to be a part of the Bbsus2-Dm-Am-Ebsus2-Dm-Fm-Csus2 fan club then.

I'm trying to get better at chords and what not. I know the normal stuff like major and minor and their inversions, but can you explain what suspended chords are, and what the numbers mean?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2105 on: January 15, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
The two songs have heavy moments, but I do not feel a dark vibe in them. And I hope no song from the next album has that vibe, because DT has already proven that they don't know how to make good dark songs.
They have done some pretty heavy songs but have made them too light hearted to be considered dark.  I do love the concept of TDEN though, a monster that has come up from the depths of the unknown to wreak havoc.  I want more songs like that, except with an even heavier darker edge!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline genome

« Reply #2106 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »

No. You are alone.

I'm trying to get better at chords and what not. I know the normal stuff like major and minor and their inversions, but can you explain what suspended chords are, and what the numbers mean?

I'm not great at explaining these things so someone may want to correct me...

Sus2 chords are chords that don't really have a tonality as such, they are neither minor nor major. I'm not sure why they're call "suspended" chords exactly but they are a really useful compositional tool to add texture (DT use them constantly) to a chord where you want to imply a tonality rather than outright play a major or minor chord.

It's a chord with an added note a whole tone above the root note (so, an added 2nd, which is where the "2" comes from). So in the case of the first chord, Bbsus2, they use a C in the chord to add some texture.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2107 on: January 15, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
I was just looking at tickets for the NYC show, looks like it's almost sold out!  That's some positive news, I have yet to go to a sold out Dream Theater show at that venue (or any venue) so would be great for the band to be able to do that.

The Friday show at the Wiltern Theater looks to be almost sold out with the exception of a fair amount of Mezzanine, but quite frankly, those seats aren't really that important, unless some people would rather be up there than down in GA.

Still got a lot of seats left for the Thursday show, but all of the seats from the Holiday Hangover deal in Floor 4 is gone and there are plenty of Mezzanine seats (a couple of them priced at $25.00, so those in LA that wants to go to see DT on the cheap, but would be in the nosebleeds, on Thursday, March 21st, have at it.  I'll be there.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:21:17 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2108 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »

FITL - even though it's hard to put this one here as it's so new I think beside the worst DT chorus of all time the song has good elements.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2109 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »
Is it just me, or do the vocals seem a bit too high in the mix on FITL?  I mostly hear that during the verses and the chorus, the pre-chorus sounds fine.  Sometimes I wish they would use less modulation effects on the vocals too. I would like to hear James' natural voice with some delay to give it that live feel.
I love everything about the song though!

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2110 on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
I haven't noticed the vocals being a bit too high. Although, in the last verse (before the mid part of the song) when the tempo slows down, I think that his voiced almost sounds a bit strained. But that's the only part of the vocals where I notice it, other than that he's perfectly fine.

That being said. I've discovered my favorite bit so far, certainly related to what I wrote above. I'm talking about the three-stage guitar riff/solo, that starts with the acoustic, then adding I'm guessing the same riff with clean effect on the electric the second run, before finishing off the third time with distorted effect.
I'm not sure if I what I meant was the "correct" way of describing it, but you might understand what part of the song I'm talking about.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2111 on: January 15, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
The third part with the distorted effect has a harmony (guitarmony) that kicks in with it. Either that or Jordan is doing the harmony with a guitar patch on his keyboard, I haven't listened to it carefully enough yet to know for sure. The first time I heard that song I was waiting for that harmony to come in on that measure.   :metal
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:52:07 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2112 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »

No. You are alone.

When writing harmony or melodic parts, you typically use notes belonging to the chord. But if you just stick to just doing that, your music is going to sound pretty square, so musicians for centuries have been spicing up their chords with notes not belonging to the chords. These are creatively called "non-chord tones". A suspension is type of non-chord tone where a note from the previous chord is suspended into the new chord before resolving down into a chord tone. For example, let's say you have the chords F - C7 - C7 - F over 4 bars:

F -  E   - E   - F
C -  C   - C  - C
A -  Bb - Bb - A
F -  G   - G   - F

Which is fine, but it's a little square. Instead we can do something like:

F -  F   - E   - F
C -  C   - C  - C
A -  Bb - Bb - A
F -  G   - G   - F

Which introduces a bit of colour into the second chord (which is where the suspension occurs) by suspending the top note of the original chord over to the second bar. So the "F" in the second bar is the suspension (because F isn't typically found in a C7 chord), which resolves down to the "E" (which is found in a C7 chord). In pop music, these suspensions take on a life of their own and don't really require the non-chord tone to be in the previous chord, or for it to be resolved downward. They typically just use it for its colourful nature and ambiguous sound. The "4" and "2" in sus chords refers to the distance between the root of the chord and the suspended note. In the example above, the "F" in the first C chord is a 4 steps above C, so it would be a C7sus4. But, if there was a D there instead of an F it would be a C7sus2, because "D" is a 2nd above D.

(Side note for those of you who are curious: these would NOT be C7add11 and C9 because they're missing the 3rd, which is an important note known as a "guide-tone". This is because it distinguishes if the chord is major or minor. It would have to be C - E - G - Bb - D or C - E - Bb - D to be a C9. And also the 11th is not something you would add onto a 7th chord because it clashes with the important 3rd and sounds SUPER ugly)

And if you're wondering, if it resolves up instead of down it's called a "wot in retardation". Yes, really. Pop music never really uses this term tho, and they're just all lumped together under the term "suspension". Which, imo, is MUCH better.

Hopefully that clears things up and isn't information overload. If you need anything cleared up further, let me know.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2113 on: January 15, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
Wow, nice explanation! Thanks for that lesson. I need to go over it a few times to remember, but it makes sense.. :tup

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2114 on: January 15, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
The FITL chorus has grown on me quite a bit. I used to think it was half a chorus that kind of petered out but I’m growing to like it more. I still find the verses to be very generic stock DT verses but there’s only really one and a half verses anyway and the rest of the song more than makes up for this.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2116 on: January 16, 2019, 02:51:57 AM »
First review out.

https://amnplify.com.au/portfolio-items/dream-theater-distance-over-time-album-review/

Well, this is really a nice one.

There is actually another review out, that is so badly written that is not worth mentioning.

The two reviewers seems to like two different set of songs...one more on the metal side, this one more on the proggy.

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2117 on: January 16, 2019, 03:07:43 AM »
Very positive review. Just about right on what i'm expecting from the album.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2118 on: January 16, 2019, 03:46:11 AM »
Nice review! I'm very excited to hear Pale Blue Dot now, in particular.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2119 on: January 16, 2019, 03:49:28 AM »
The song with one of my favorite subject matters is the song that will probably make fans go crazy? HELL YEAH!!!  :metal

I also like how he seemed interested by Barstool Warrior, that's quite left field for DT as a title and lyrics topic, I'm curious to hear it!

Also, the reviewer mentions approaching with fresh years the new songs whereas he "overplayed" Untethered Angel... that's why I'm refraining from listening to the singles, I want to hear a 9 songs album, as a full experience, not 7 other songs after having already learnt by other the two released ones.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2120 on: January 16, 2019, 03:56:52 AM »
First review out.

https://amnplify.com.au/portfolio-items/dream-theater-distance-over-time-album-review/

There is actually another review out, that is so badly written that is not worth mentioning.

The two reviewers seems to like two different set of songs...one more on the metal side, this one more on the proggy.

I'd still like to read it, could post it please?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2121 on: January 16, 2019, 05:02:09 AM »
What he said about PBD makes me super excited.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2122 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:28 AM »
Found another one, pretty much on the same page, seems like the second half of the album is where things get more interesting:
https://www.therockpit.net/2019/album-review-dream-theater-distance-over-time/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2123 on: January 16, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
First review out.

I found this observation interesting:

"All in all Distance Over Time  sounds like Dream Theater doing what they do best. The irony of the matter is that jaded fans, and especially those still observing candlelight vigils over Mike Portnoy’s self-inflicted departure will lament this very fact. I can hear them now ‘This sounds just like every other Dream Theater album’! Dream Theater’s first five albums were exceptional and quite varied from a stylistic viewpoint – a hard act to follow for any band.  Perhaps the variation in sound during this most vital period was aided by the fact that 3 different keyboard players contributed to the band over that period."

and..

"Whilst it’s  true that over the course of the most recent 9 releases the pairing of Petrucci and Rudess (& Co) have clearly found a comfortable compositional style, I prefer to view this air of familiarity  as a hallmark of a truly classic musical act. Whatever the case may be it would be fair to say Dream Theater can often be held to unprecedented levels of scrutiny by their fan base."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dream75

« Reply #2124 on: January 16, 2019, 06:07:12 AM »
I think that Barstool Warrior, At Wit's End and Pale Blue Dot will be the best and Paralyzed the worst

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2125 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:08 AM »
First review out.

I'd still like to read it, could post it please?

It's on the decibel magazine.
You can find it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/aagkht/decibel_review_of_distance_over_time/
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: January 16, 2019, 06:47:33 AM »
Yikes :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2127 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
Found another one, pretty much on the same page, seems like the second half of the album is where things get more interesting:
https://www.therockpit.net/2019/album-review-dream-theater-distance-over-time/

Definitly hyped now! Pale Blue D/T

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2128 on: January 16, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »
Very excited about all the references to the 80's.... as someone who loves the earlier side of DT's work this has me pumped.

I still love them after SDOIT but TOT is sort of when they dropped off a bit for me.   I just don't like modern metal as much. 

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2129 on: January 16, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »
Another review here - https://www.staccatofy.com/rock/dream-theater-distance-over-time-review/.  Shorter than the other recent ones but nonetheless very positive. 

Offline rab7

« Reply #2130 on: January 16, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »
Another review here - https://www.staccatofy.com/rock/dream-theater-distance-over-time-review/.  Shorter than the other recent ones but nonetheless very positive.

For anyone like me who saw the word "comradery" in two different reviews and thought it was a misspelling of "camaraderie", the word comradery is actually in the dictionary and means the same thing as camaraderie.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2131 on: January 16, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
I like what I'm hearing from most of these reviews.  :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2132 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
The two songs have heavy moments, but I do not feel a dark vibe in them. And I hope no song from the next album has that vibe, because DT has already proven that they don't know how to make good dark songs.
They have done some pretty heavy songs but have made them too light hearted to be considered dark.  I do love the concept of TDEN though, a monster that has come up from the depths of the unknown to wreak havoc.  I want more songs like that, except with an even heavier darker edge!

I think it's a matter of different tastes. I consider TDEN to be one of DT's worst songs, if not worse.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2133 on: January 16, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
Very cool to read all these reviews. Very excited to hear the D/T, especially Pale Blue Dot! :biggrin:

I think they did not say much about At Wit's End. It's the longest song on the record and I got the impression that we still have no glimpse of it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2134 on: January 16, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »

I think it's a matter of different tastes. I consider TDEN to be one of DT's worst songs, if not worse.
Okay, but you were talking about "dark" and "heavy," not "worst."  Those are unrelated.

As far as DT doing dark, I guess it's just a matter of degree.  Awake, TOT, and BCSL definitely have a lot of darker moments.  But "dark" for DT might not be quite as dark as some other metal bands.  They also like to infuse a lot of positivity and introspection into their music.  Redemption is another band that comes to mind.  A lot of the concepts Nick explores in Redemption's music and lyrics is quite dark.  But at the same time, a common theme throughout their music and lyrics is finding hope in the darkness, so there is also a lighter, brighter vibe that transcends the darkness in their music as well and might cause a lot of people to overlook the darkness.  That doesn't mean it isn't there and isn't prominent.  Darkness is prominent, but it never gets TOO dark, and almost always resolves on a lighter, hopeful note.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."