Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254732 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
Yeah it's the best DT cover art from him in a long time. I like it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
Love that album cover. Simple, yet powerful. And I really like that album title as well.

I like the title, but can't stand the cover.  I wonder if the artist presented this to DT and they all agreed 100% that this is It?  "Oh yeah, a robot holding a skull!!!" I think DT could have come up with something better than that. I guess I need to get over it and look forward to the music and try not to connect it with that image..

I read it as the death of humanity at the hands of Artificial Intelligence (our own creation) and that creation's reflection on the now extinct predecessor. I'm pretty fascinated by that, but to each their own. There's album covers from them I love and ones that I don't care for. This one I dig.

This could have been a classic Rush cover and fits in with John Petrucci's "What would Rush do?" aesthetic.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »
Also, think of the possibilites of the back cover, the booklet style, additional pictures... there is potential in that! and hey, it's the first "white album" since Six Degrees, about time I'd say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »
Has anyone noted that it (seems to be) the updated DT12 majesty logo? I wasn't sure if that might've been a one-off for the self-titled, but it seems to be sticking around!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
Also, think of the possibilites of the back cover, the booklet style, additional pictures... there is potential in that! and hey, it's the first "white album" since Six Degrees, about time I'd say.

I was hoping for red to be the dominant color on the artwork. None of their albums are mainly red.

Edit: don’t get me wrong though, I think the album cover is superb!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »

I was hoping for red to be the dominant color on the artwork. None of their albums are mainly red.

Greatest hits

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

Greatest hits

Compilation, not an album

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »

Album =
a collection/compilation of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.

Greatest hits

Compilation, not an album

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #218 on: November 04, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »
Two nights in LA in March?  I'll probably be there for one of them, depending on work schedule and ticket prices.  Just got to wait to see the announcement on what venue they will play in.  Probably The Wiltern.

man, I lived like 5 blocks from the Wiltern for 7 years.  now where I live, they don't ever come within a 3 1/2 hour drive of me.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
The snippet with vocals definitely reminds me of The Astonishing and ADTOE, but that's ok. The other snippet sounds REALLY cool and new though. More of a Rush-y hard rock vibe.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
The snippet with vocals definitely reminds me of The Astonishing and ADTOE, but that's ok.

Yeah, sure, but given noxon's explanation, I wouldn't take too much from that snippet.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #221 on: November 04, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
The snippet with vocals definitely reminds me of The Astonishing and ADTOE, but that's ok.

Yeah, sure, but given noxon's explanation, I wouldn't take too much from that snippet.

Don't worry, I was judging the snippet alone, I don't expect the entire song or album to have that one sound.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »
When can we expect an official statement from the band and release of the first single??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
When can we expect an official statement from the band and release of the first single??

When noxon says it's OK. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2018, 04:43:14 PM »
Are official statements done on Fridays just like album releases? If that's the case, next Friday would be nice. I am curious about the song titles.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »
Are official statements done on Fridays just like album releases? If that's the case, next Friday would be nice. I am curious about the song titles.
Official statements can be anywhen, but tend to avoid weekends as there are fewer eyes on them.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
The press-release last year, announcing the new contract to Sony/InsideOut, was on a Monday (December 11). But, the 2013 press release about the self-titled album was on a Thursday (June 6).

That said, the shift to only-Friday releases was in 2015, so maybe that affected marketing/promotion. I don't know.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
The teaser is nothing special and pretty generic, but I like the unexpected chord at 0:21.

Offline rab7

« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2018, 11:04:07 PM »
The teaser is nothing special and pretty generic, but I like the unexpected chord at 0:21.

Without even looking, I'm going to guess it was at "open your HEART"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2018, 11:28:43 PM »

Without even looking, I'm going to guess it was at "open your HEART"

Yes. ;)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2018, 12:49:50 AM »
That second clip ("Writing session Song 10") sounds like they're jamming, it's really... musical (for lack of better word :P ). I'm hoping for more of that because, IMO, that's what missing from last few (or more than a few) albums. And I could see them doing that after The Astonishing, the album that was more of a "strict", story driven album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2018, 01:04:58 AM »
But TA is very musical! It has catchy melodies all over the place and complex instrumental sections.
I'm sure this next album will be much darker and heavier yet musical at the same time. Judging by the cover leads me to believe that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:12:35 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2018, 01:25:39 AM »
But TA is very musical! It has catchy melodies all over the place and complex instrumental sections.
I'm sure this next album will be much darker and heavier yet musical at the same time. Judging by the cover leads me to believe that.

I think I've said this before, but IMO on TA the music served the story instead of the other way around. There were some great musical moments scattered around, but the whole concept for me was too overbearing, and those great moments were muddled somewhat.

On topic: What are the chances that this album will be Dream Theater's "Counterparts"? Counterparts was a no nonsense rock album, and for Rush, a return to a heavier sound after years of flirting with pop sensibilities. From snippets and comments from the band, I kinda get same vibes. A heavy, no nonsense prog metal album. And a return to their roots after some years of experimenting with shorter songs, and concepts.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2018, 01:37:11 AM »
That second clip ("Writing session Song 10") sounds like they're jamming, it's really... musical (for lack of better word :P ). I'm hoping for more of that because, IMO, that's what missing from last few (or more than a few) albums. And I could see them doing that after The Astonishing, the album that was more of a "strict", story driven album.

I got a FII vibe from that snippet, and kept thinking of songs like Just Let Me Breathe and Lines in the Sand. It got me ten times more excited than the other one, especially with the bass being so prominent, and Mangini rocking out.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:14 AM »

I got a FII vibe from that snippet, and kept thinking of songs like Just Let Me Breathe and Lines in the Sand.

Exactly the song I was thinking of..

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2018, 04:44:49 AM »
I'm so stoked about new DT music!
I'm loving the title, specifically the fact it abbreviates to "D/T".
I quite like the artwork, specifically the black on white of the logo.
I'm a little surprised the tour isn't starting in Europe - that seems to be the established paradigm.
 :xbones :yarr :metal :metal :corn :rollin :hat :hefdaddy :heart :millahhhh  :natalieportman:
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline danidogma

« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2018, 04:49:25 AM »
The 30 seconds sample and the video look very good BUT I'm a little sad because I was expecting a sound for the new album more of this style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkeTsEXnyI

For me, without a doubt, Xanadu's cover is the best sound by far Dream Theater has had with Mike Mangini in my humble opinion: the bass is perfectly understood, the guitar is crisp and in solos it sounds with an incredible tone, the voice in place and the most natural drumming sound I've ever heard from Mike Mangini.

As for the material, it always looks good, but there's not much to analyze.

I'll keep to the fact that there's a little less to listen to it. I would have loved the sound to be like in Xanadu :(

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2018, 05:36:30 AM »
I'm a little surprised the tour isn't starting in Europe - that seems to be the established paradigm.

So you're saying there's been a paradigm shift?  ;D

It could be any number of factors for the switch. Economics. Logistics. The Astonishing doing worse in the USA than in Europe and the desider to "win back over" quicker, so to speak, the fans with a classic album and a tour for one of their best records.

I wonder if they'll do a summer tour in Europe, blending in at festivals, or a proper tour from September on. Or maybe both, like they used to do with MP in the band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
The 30 seconds sample and the video look very good BUT I'm a little sad because I was expecting a sound for the new album more of this style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkeTsEXnyI

For me, without a doubt, Xanadu's cover is the best sound by far Dream Theater has had with Mike Mangini in my humble opinion: the bass is perfectly understood, the guitar is crisp and in solos it sounds with an incredible tone, the voice in place and the most natural drumming sound I've ever heard from Mike Mangini.

As for the material, it always looks good, but there's not much to analyze.

I'll keep to the fact that there's a little less to listen to it. I would have loved the sound to be like in Xanadu :(

The 30 second sample sounds musically promising, but it is way too compressed to sound great. It is easily heard for example when the vocals kick in. The sound does not increase in volume and the clarity of the sound just gets worse.

Dynamics aside the production and the mix seems to be an improvement over the previous albums - especially the drum mix. Could do with less effects on vocals though.

I really liked what I heard on the song 10 video. I am pumped for this album as far as the music goes, but I am yet again disappointed by loudness war treatment of the sound on the sample.

Hopefully there will be version with different mastering on vinyl or through HDTracks.

EDIT: The DR database figures were for the Rush songs and not for the DT cover so it did not apply here. So I removed the comments concerning that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:14:44 AM by Groundhog »

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »
YES!  Pumped as usual!  Actually let out a yell when I saw the Charlotte date... perhaps they slip Asheville in the there as well and wife and I will hit them both!  Nice to see NC getting love from the dates... that's a 2-hour drive for me so I'll sleep in my own bed that night!
See you in Charlotte?

Yer Bugger!  We'll figure out a place to eat before the show maybe... depends on when we get there.  At worst we'll see each other at the show for sure!  I'll be wearing the Images and Tour classic t-shirt I always wear!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Listened to the Dream Theater's cover of Xanadu again as it's been while. Like danidogma I would love if the new album sounded like this. The difference in dynamics, clarity, bass and drums is night and day compared to the sample. I am not surprised about the amount of compression as it is the norm these days, but I am surprised that the band still goes for this kind of sound when they could easily release a better sounding album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

It sounds like the snippet we got with vocals. Maybe thats gonna be the first song released.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
Listening back to the 30 second sample on YouTube, one thing that jumped out was MM's cymbals. They sound more upfront in the mix, which is great.

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Very excited about all of this, I just hope whatever they have planned for the tour it doesn't involve playing to a click.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Very excited about all of this, I just hope whatever they have planned for the tour it doesn't involve playing to a click.

Isn't that their standard m.o. since Mangini joined?