Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255368 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1715 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:24 PM »
When we will hear another single?

Soon.

Despite the less-than-typical song lengths, do the new songs still have the signature sounds that DT is known for, past and present? Do the longer songs of the album still evoke an epic feel, even if they're under 10 minutes long? And do any of the songs sound like instant DT classics?

I think D/T successfully manages to mix in enough of the familiar with new (for DT, not like groundbreaking stuff) stuff to keep everyone happy. It feels like a Dream Theater album through and through, focused more on the riffy and heavier side that we maybe know from albums like Awake and Train of Though, while still having a lot of prog-elements to it. The fact that they wrote the album in one sitting with the requirement that they should be able to perform it right there and then makes the album feel a lot more organic than some of the other DT albums (such as Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds). You can hear it in Untethered Angel - there's no extra rhythm guitar track covering the solos - the songs are possible to play without cheating with backing tracks.

Do James’ vocals on the rest of the album have the same reverb effect like in UA? Or is it just that one song?
Rest of album? No. But there's effects where they wanted the vocals to have effects. It was a creative decision, like it or not.

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #1716 on: January 03, 2019, 03:15:11 PM »
I wonder what song is going to be released?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1717 on: January 03, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »

Do James’ vocals on the rest of the album have the same reverb effect like in UA? Or is it just that one song?
Rest of album? No. But there's effects where they wanted the vocals to have effects. It was a creative decision, like it or not.

Thanks for answering. I like the way the vocals sound on UA, but not sure if I’d like it like that the whole album. Like you said, when it’s called for.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1718 on: January 03, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
Other than that; what do you want to know about the new album?

When is your review coming? :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #1719 on: January 04, 2019, 05:54:41 AM »
There is a review in the new Decibel Magazine, but I'm not too fond of the review style. Everything has to be a simile, and the choices made describing certain tracks were just weird. Like - there's a Metallica-style track. So what simile is used? Enter Sandman. It's as though thats the only Metallica song the reviewer knows.

Noxon,

1. What was your initial reaction to your first listen to the whole album?
2. How many times have you listened to the album in total?
3. How has the album grown?  Is it getting better with each listen?
4. Are there any songs that could have benefited from being longer allowing more room to breath and develop?

Frank

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1720 on: January 04, 2019, 06:11:47 AM »
This might be a subjective question but might be interesting nonetheless. Given that the album puts the emphasis on live feel, riffs and rocking attitude, do you still feel like the album is melodically rich and adventurous enough? That's one of the things that made The Astonishing so fantastic for me.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1721 on: January 04, 2019, 07:05:19 AM »
Noxon,

1. What was your initial reaction to your first listen to the whole album?
2. How many times have you listened to the album in total?
3. How has the album grown?  Is it getting better with each listen?
4. Are there any songs that could have benefited from being longer allowing more room to breath and develop?

Frank

1. Different from what I expected, but not in a negative way. My first reaction was "this is fun!".
2. Somewhere around 20-30 times.
3. Not going to lie, I found this album to be an instant hit, so it didnt really have much room to grow.
4. No. I personally do not get obsession to have very long songs.

This might be a subjective question but might be interesting nonetheless. Given that the album puts the emphasis on live feel, riffs and rocking attitude, do you still feel like the album is melodically rich and adventurous enough? That's one of the things that made The Astonishing so fantastic for me.

Sure. There's plenty of stuff here that will surprise people. But it is "a guitar album".

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #1722 on: January 04, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Noxon,

Thanks for the information.

Frank

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: January 04, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
My first reaction was "this is fun!".

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #1724 on: January 04, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »

Although I have my preferences regarding the Dream Theater discography, I do not think they have made a truly BAD record because I know that each album has its own personality, from the metal-oriented TOT to the operatic TA. So I ask you, what is in your opinion the feature of Distance Over Time that makes it different from other DT records?

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1725 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:00 AM »
Is out of reach connected to pale blue dot in the same way WFS and LTL, FFH and BAI are?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1726 on: January 04, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1727 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
There is a review in the new Decibel Magazine, but I'm not too fond of the review style. Everything has to be a simile, and the choices made describing certain tracks were just weird. Like - there's a Metallica-style track. So what simile is used? Enter Sandman. It's as though thats the only Metallica song the reviewer knows.

I would very much like to read that review, but I can't find it?? Could you give a link please?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1728 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
I am intrigued by the track times of the album:

Mid
Short
Mid

Mid
Short
Mid

Long
Short
Long

Does this actually mean anything, noxon? I am sort of thinking that the songs are structured in such a way that the album has three sections.

I think I am overthinking this. :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1729 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
Noxon, I'd like to know how you'd compare Mike's drum parts (playing, not the sound/tone) in DOT to with the previous MM era albums, specially DT12, which is his best, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1730 on: January 04, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
Despite the less-than-typical song lengths, do the new songs still have the signature sounds that DT is known for, past and present? Do the longer songs of the album still evoke an epic feel, even if they're under 10 minutes long? And do any of the songs sound like instant DT classics?

I think D/T successfully manages to mix in enough of the familiar with new (for DT, not like groundbreaking stuff) stuff to keep everyone happy. It feels like a Dream Theater album through and through, focused more on the riffy and heavier side that we maybe know from albums like Awake and Train of Though, while still having a lot of prog-elements to it. The fact that they wrote the album in one sitting with the requirement that they should be able to perform it right there and then makes the album feel a lot more organic than some of the other DT albums (such as Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds). You can hear it in Untethered Angel - there's no extra rhythm guitar track covering the solos - the songs are possible to play without cheating with backing tracks.

Thanks for the answer! Sounds like it'll be an enjoyable listen, especially since I quite enjoy Awake and Train of Thought. The next seven weeks will be hard to wait!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dream75

« Reply #1731 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

I would very much like to read that review, but I can't find it?? Could you give a link please?

Search on Reddit  ;)

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #1732 on: January 04, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »

But it is "a guitar album".

Hell Yeah.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1733 on: January 04, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »

Search on Reddit  ;)

Just read it... can't believe there's people who can write this, call it a "review" and get paid for it. There's 0% useful info there, just a bunch of mumbo jumbo from a guy who clearly doesn't care about the music at all :facepalm:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1734 on: January 04, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
Turns out I've got an extra ticket for the NYC show. Fifth row and pretty well center if anybody's interested in paying cost for it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1735 on: January 04, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
4. No. I personally do not get obsession to have very long songs.

Me either...

I'm actually glad the songs aren't really long. Thats what I enjoyed about ADTOE, it broke the streak of having a 20 minute epic. I grew tired of them once I heard BC&SL was going to be loaded with longer songs.

And after The Astonishing, this is what is needed. Once I heard Untethered Angel, I'm sure DoT will end up in my top 5.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: January 04, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
Turns out I've got an extra ticket for the NYC show. Fifth row and pretty well center if anybody's interested in paying cost for it.

I still don't have a ticket, but my friend is extremely likely to be coming with me so I'd be interested if he drops out, but I wouldn't know that until much closer to the date (and we are waiting to closer to buy tickets since any decent seat has been sold).

Offline dream75

Offline gzarruk

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1739 on: January 04, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
Is out of reach connected to pale blue dot in the same way WFS and LTL, FFH and BAI are?

No.

Noxon, I'd like to know how you'd compare Mike's drum parts (playing, not the sound/tone) in DOT to with the previous MM era albums, specially DT12, which is his best, imo.
I feel the drumming on D/T is inspired. It's engaging and fun - fits in with the mood. The bass and drums have to be much more active in creating diversity here as the guitar is so focused on riffs here.

So I ask you, what is in your opinion the feature of Distance Over Time that makes it different from other DT records?

Groovy riffs. This is a much more riff focused album than I think before.

Offline dream75

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1741 on: January 04, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
I feel the drumming on D/T is inspired. It's engaging and fun - fits in with the mood. The bass and drums have to be much more active in creating diversity here as the guitar is so focused on riffs here.

That's what I wanted to hear, specially the bolded part :tup
If there's more JM/MM moments like DT12 had, then it's going to be killer :hefdaddy

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #1742 on: January 04, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »
Great news then  :metal Thanks noxon

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1743 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »

How are Rudess's parts shaping up? Are they mostly piano/organ focused like on UA/The Astonishing?

When we will hear another single?

Soon.

Is that at Soon EST, Soon GMT, or Soon UTC?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1744 on: January 04, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »
Yes, Piano and Organ are the major types of sounds used on keys.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1745 on: January 04, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

I still don't have a ticket, but my friend is extremely likely to be coming with me so I'd be interested if he drops out, but I wouldn't know that until much closer to the date (and we are waiting to closer to buy tickets since any decent seat has been sold).

Cool, keep me in the loop if you end up needing a ticket.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1746 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »

The first album this reminds me of is Falling Into Infinity, even though this album apparently is on the heavier side. FII is one of my favourite DT albums for that very reason, so that makes me excited.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1747 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:59 PM »
Yes, Piano and Organ are the major types of sounds used on keys.

HYPE. His piano parts are always just so delightful

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1748 on: January 05, 2019, 01:48:47 AM »
Noxon, most of all agree that James is always great on studio.

How you find him on DoT comparing the rest? Something new or something "wow" on this album?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1749 on: January 05, 2019, 06:03:23 AM »
Are there songs with a crazy instrumental section that comes close to atonality (like ministry of lost souls, itpoe, outcry)? If so, which one (section) is your favorite?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇