Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 253628 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1610 on: December 10, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »

If you were to take those stems and re-edit your own unique mix of a song, maybe even with your own vocals, is that something you could then put on YouTube or would it get pulled down for copyright reasons?

It would probably get pulled from YouTube.  When they put out stems for the BCSL songs, fans were coming up with some pretty creative mixes and edits, so I did let people post and share them here for awhile.  If there is a demand for that again this time around, I might revisit the idea.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #1611 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Amazon USA had the boxset for 90 for the last few days.  I now see that it is 149.  So glad I ordered while it was the lower price.

Frank

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1612 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »

If you were to take those stems and re-edit your own unique mix of a song, maybe even with your own vocals, is that something you could then put on YouTube or would it get pulled down for copyright reasons?

That's a copyright violation. At least in the U.S.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1613 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »

It would probably get pulled from YouTube.  When they put out stems for the BCSL songs, fans were coming up with some pretty creative mixes and edits, so I did let people post and share them here for awhile.  If there is a demand for that again this time around, I might revisit the idea.

That's a great idea! Not that I'm anywhere near capable of doing it, but I would like to hear what people would come up with.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1614 on: December 10, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »

That's a great idea! Not that I'm anywhere near capable of doing it, but I would like to hear what people would come up with.

B.Lee

I'll definitely remix the stems, but won't put it on YouTube. It'll be shared in pvt.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1615 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
It depends on which license they set for the song. In most cases, record companies just say “hey, this song is ours so the money for ads on it goes to us”. This is true for all songs connected to warner and universal at the moment - the fan club dvds on YouTube are under that license.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1616 on: December 10, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
Based on every legit thing we know so far, Song 1 is At Wit's End and Song 4 is Untethered Angel

Untethered Angel is song 10 based off the studio sample they released with them jamming that idea.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rab7

« Reply #1617 on: December 10, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
Based on every legit thing we know so far, Song 1 is At Wit's End and Song 4 is Untethered Angel

Untethered Angel is song 10 based off the studio sample they released with them jamming that idea.

First of all, there is nothing in that 1-minute snippet that sounds anything like Untethered Angel.

Second of all, this interview:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/dream-theater-share-new-song-untethered-angel

reveals that Untethered Angel was Song 4.

Offline dream75

« Reply #1618 on: December 10, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »
YouTube Video song 10 is the first minute of S2N  ;)

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1619 on: December 10, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »

It's a shame they would get pulled. It seems to me that making your own mix would be one of the main selling points for getting the stems. No fun if you can't share what you come up with :(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1620 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »

Would it?  No way to know, but it certainly could since it would be an unauthorized derivative.

It's a shame they would get pulled. It seems to me that making your own mix would be one of the main selling points for getting the stems. No fun if you can't share what you come up with :(

The first part of this I agree with, but it's presumably allowed only for personal use.  If that's not sufficiently "fun" for you, then you're free not to buy that version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #1621 on: December 10, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »
Maybe a dumb question..maybe not...will there be digital d/l option ..I purchased previous material from HD download in hi res digital format..will any version shown  of DOT include it ?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1622 on: December 11, 2018, 04:56:53 AM »

B.Lee

I'll definitely remix the stems, but won't put it on YouTube. It'll be shared in pvt.

:tup
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1623 on: December 11, 2018, 05:08:20 AM »
Maybe a dumb question..maybe not...will there be digital d/l option ..I purchased previous material from HD download in hi res digital format..will any version shown  of DOT include it ?
Well what I could see is that there will be a Hires version available, on a site called qobuz.com (just do a search for the new album and there will be a preorder option. Last time I checked anyway.) I don't know if HDtracks will carry it, but I found qobuz.com will. (96 k 24 bit apparently)
Edit: here you go, bonus track incuded: https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/distance-over-time-bonus-track-version-dream-theater/bunceuzl5mfsa
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1624 on: December 11, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
Well what I could see is that there will be a Hires version available, on a site called qobuz.com (just do a search for the new album and there will be a preorder option. Last time I checked anyway.) I don't know if HDtracks will carry it, but I found qobuz.com will. (96 k 24 bit apparently)
Edit: here you go, bonus track incuded: https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/distance-over-time-bonus-track-version-dream-theater/bunceuzl5mfsa
I noticed on the site that there is this:

"(P) 2019 Ytse Jams, Inc., under exclusive license to InsideOutMusic"

Could it mean something for YtseJam releases?  Like DT licenses all their music themselves and then gives insideOut an exclusive license.  Perhaps we'll get more releases from Ytsejam?  One can always hope, right?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1625 on: December 11, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »

Could it mean something for YtseJam releases?  Like DT licenses all their music themselves and then gives insideOut an exclusive license.  Perhaps we'll get more releases from Ytsejam?  One can always hope, right?

They’ve always released their music under Ytse Jams Inc. It has nothing to do with Ytse Jam Records (the official bootleg store).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »

They’ve always released their music under Ytse Jams Inc. It has nothing to do with Ytse Jam Records (the official bootleg store).
oh, ok.  Didn't know that.  Thank you!

Guess I'm not the super fan I thought I was. :biggrin:

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1627 on: December 11, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
Four albums in, is Mangini finally gonna have a great drum intro?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1628 on: December 11, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »

Ytse Jams, Inc. is a corporation to which the members of the band assign (and have assigned as far back as I can recall) their songwriting copyrights for purposes of administering those rights.  Ytse Jams, Inc., in turn, licenses those rights to the record company for purposes of releasing phonorecords (as defined in section 101 of the U.S. Copyright Act) containing sound recordings.  I assume that the shares of Ytse Jams, Inc. are owned by some or all of the current band members.  Portnoy might still own shares or he might have relinquished those shares as part of the negotiations that followed his departure of the band.

Most bands do something similar.  Metallica, for example has a company called Creeping Death Music (or something like that).

This is unrelated to the Ytse Jam Records website.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1629 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
Sounds like DT's way of owning their publishing with IO licensed to distribute and whatnot.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1630 on: December 12, 2018, 04:08:37 AM »
After Verona, DT in Italy will play also Firenze rocks in Florence - on the same day as Tool!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1631 on: December 12, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
Gonna leave this here - if you're scared of spoilers, don't click the link: https://www.facebook.com/TheDreamTheaterWorld/photos/a.977563095652365/2371897949552199/?type=3&theater

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: December 12, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Gonna leave this here - if you're scared of spoilers, don't click the link:
Definitely interesting, but doesn't seem like there are really any "spoilers"  Maybe I'm missing something.  I'm afraid to say more since some might want to avoid the link.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1633 on: December 12, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
Maybe not in that one, but if you go down the rabithole and visit our chapters, it may contain a few more spoilers. But; we have tried to keep our impressions as spoiler free as possible.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1634 on: December 12, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
For those interested: not many spoilers in the DT Argentina Facebook post.
They mention some influences, and some general elements found in the music.

They do say that "you'll even find some surprises".

What about the other fanclubs' posts?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1635 on: December 12, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
Pretty much the same.

Not sure if anything has been said in Mexico but I'm certain they will mention Images and Words one way or another.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline dream75

« Reply #1636 on: December 12, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
For those interested: not many spoilers in the DT Argentina Facebook post.
They mention some influences, and some general elements found in the music.

They do say that "you'll even find some surprises".

What about the other fanclubs' posts?

No news from Italian fan club  :facepalm:

Offline As I Am

• Banned

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1638 on: December 13, 2018, 02:20:25 AM »
I was listening on Untethered Angel, and then The Mirror came up. Still can't believe how much better the band was sounding in 1994, and how much worse the recent albums sound in comparison to a 24 year old record.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1639 on: December 13, 2018, 02:45:56 AM »
I was listening on Untethered Angel, and then The Mirror came up. Still can't believe how much better the band was sounding in 1994, and how much worse the recent albums sound in comparison to a 24 year old record.

Sound-wise I tend to agree.
My impression is that they are victims of the "loudness war", and fell into a vicious spiral. TA was probably better, but now looks like they are back again down to the same issues.

Music-wise I am happy though, because UA is very much DT with their own style..

I was recently listening to Systematic Chaos and Octavarium  (and also ToT and BCSL) and well....IMHO the band was totally losing its personality at the time.

Like it or not, this is 100% Dream Theater, with an oversaturated sound unfortunately.

But I like it.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1640 on: December 13, 2018, 02:54:10 AM »
I'll wait until I hear the CD to determine whether it has an over saturated sound. I've only heard UA on my phone so it's hard to tell.  I love the song though and it sounded pretty darn good even through my phone, so I'm not worried at all about the how the sound of the album will be..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #1641 on: December 13, 2018, 06:04:25 AM »
This is our spoiler-free impression of D/T  :D

--------------------------------------------------------------
DT USA has been fortunate enough to listen to Distance over Time in its entirety!

Though we can't share it with you now (please don't ask) and we certainly won't spoil it for you, we can definitely give you an idea of what to expect. You are in for an amazing and exciting ride!!!

DT has the best formula in D/T- the perfect combination of their newer sound, while still revisiting and celebrating their classic roots. We can tell you that we've heard some of the most killer riffs in all of the discography, some of JP's most emotional solos yet, JM upfront and loud, the best MM sound, JR playing in his classic, throwback DT style, and JLB truly shines. There are some deja-vu moments and familiarity, but they take you in a completely different and refreshing direction.

Overall, you get a real sense of community and satisfaction in this album. It really gives off that feeling that the band is happy and working together harmoniously. The energy is palpable with all of us as well...there is just this excitement we haven't seen in years.

We can't wait for you to hear it!!!

Offline dream75

« Reply #1642 on: December 13, 2018, 06:24:11 AM »

DT USA has been fortunate enough to listen to Distance over Time in its entirety!

Though we can't share it with you now (please don't ask) and we certainly won't spoil it for you, we can definitely give you an idea of what to expect. You are in for an amazing and exciting ride!!!

DT has the best formula in D/T- the perfect combination of their newer sound, while still revisiting and celebrating their classic roots. We can tell you that we've heard some of the most killer riffs in all of the discography, some of JP's most emotional solos yet, JM upfront and loud, the best MM sound, JR playing in his classic, throwback DT style, and JLB truly shines. There are some deja-vu moments and familiarity, but they take you in a completely different and refreshing direction.

Overall, you get a real sense of community and satisfaction in this album. It really gives off that feeling that the band is happy and working together harmoniously. The energy is palpable with all of us as well...there is just this excitement we haven't seen in years.

Thanks Freddy  :rollin

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1643 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
This is typically the kind of post that hypes me and prevent me from concentrating and working...I just can't wait

Plus, as I regretted not seeing the SFAM live show, I will definitively see them in 2019 :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1644 on: December 13, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »

Very cool, thanks for posting!