Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255257 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1575 on: December 07, 2018, 01:36:25 AM »
I choose not to listen to the single. I want to take in the whole album at once if I live long enough for the release..

I've chosen this path as well.
I listened once and I'm gonna try to hold off listening again until the album is out.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1576 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:57 AM »
For me it's a mix of both worlds - while I choose to not listen to anything from certain records until the album is actually out, I still read the reviews 'cause I'm curious to what the songs sound like, or are described.

With this album I'll probably hold back, I see that the reactions are mixed and in the case that I don't like the song I don't want to spend all the time from here to February fearing that the album might not be good.  Also, with such a relatively short running time, not knowing already 1/9th of the album will make for a more complete experience in February!

That's what I'll do this time around : not listen but read reviews. I'm not afraid of bad reviews because thay have zero influence on my opinion. At the end of the day, it's YOU who decide if it's good or not, not others.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1577 on: December 07, 2018, 04:03:21 AM »
Listened

Guess you just don't have.. discipline..

(Sorry)

For me it's a mix of both worlds - while I choose to not listen to anything from certain records until the album is actually out, I still read the reviews 'cause I'm curious to what the songs sound like, or are described.

With this album I'll probably hold back, I see that the reactions are mixed and in the case that I don't like the song I don't want to spend all the time from here to February fearing that the album might not be good.  Also, with such a relatively short running time, not knowing already 1/9th of the album will make for a more complete experience in February!

That's what I'll do this time around : not listen but read reviews. I'm not afraid of bad reviews because thay have zero influence on my opinion. At the end of the day, it's YOU who decide if it's good or not, not others.

B.Lee

That's what I'll do too!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1578 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »
I’ve always felt reviews were mostly useless and never paid much attention to them. With the nature of music being subjective, and knowing how everyone interprets music uniquely, it would be a total crapshoot with astronomical odds to find a reviewer that would see music precisely the way you do. So, why rely on the reviews of someone else to determine if something is good? Unless, of course, you can’t make a judgement for yourself, you enjoy having others make that decision for you and you align your views based on someone else’s opinion. Even if I did agree with the reviewers personal opinion, I find no value in that, because in the end, someone else’s opinion is ultimately useless if I’m genuinely interested in what the music does for me.

The new album will most likely have mixed reviews. Depending on who you ask, the album will be the best DT has to offer, and their worst. Just like all their other albums. My advice is to listen to it for yourself and make a decision based on how you feel about it. Whether you agree or disagree with others is ultimately irrelevant. For me, at least.

I like the single, btw!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1579 on: December 07, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »
https://burningshed.com/store/InsideOutMusic/dream-theater_distance-over-time-deluxe-collectors_boxset

Burning shed has their pre-orders up. That's a pricey box set, but it does include a lot of stuff! Anyone find it cheaper elsewhere online?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1580 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »
Century media has it for sale within the US, since they’re under Sony as well. They’re also giving away a signed drumhead at random to someone who preorders. Box set purchased!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1581 on: December 07, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
I’ve always felt reviews were mostly useless and never paid much attention to them. With the nature of music being subjective, and knowing how everyone interprets music uniquely, it would be a total crapshoot with astronomical odds to find a reviewer that would see music precisely the way you do. So, why rely on the reviews of someone else to determine if something is good? Unless, of course, you can’t make a judgement for yourself, you enjoy having others make that decision for you and you align your views based on someone else’s opinion. Even if I did agree with the reviewers personal opinion, I find no value in that, because in the end, someone else’s opinion is ultimately useless if I’m genuinely interested in what the music does for me.

The new album will most likely have mixed reviews. Depending on who you ask, the album will be the best DT has to offer, and their worst. Just like all their other albums. My advice is to listen to it for yourself and make a decision based on how you feel about it. Whether you agree or disagree with others is ultimately irrelevant. For me, at least.

I totally agree with this..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline PMA

« Reply #1582 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Just listened to Untethered Angel and my initial reaction is that it hits all the more typical DT compositional elements.  No real surprises.  Hoping that the Youtube sound is not representative of their actual release.  Sounded more compressed than I would like but I was glad to hear more keys and bass than usual.  It's not a bad song but not in the same league as other material they've released prior.  For example, if Breaking All Illusions is an A+, this would be a B in my opinion.  Of course, their playing is stellar as usual and I did like the split screen video including some quick flybys of their cooking for each other.  I'm still really looking forward to this release and am hoping that this tease is just the tip of the iceberg with true surprises coming.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1583 on: December 07, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Just listened to Untethered Angel and my initial reaction is that it hits all the more typical DT compositional elements.  No real surprises.  Hoping that the Youtube sound is not representative of their actual release.  Sounded more compressed than I would like but I was glad to hear more keys and bass than usual.  It's not a bad song but not in the same league as other material they've released prior.  For example, if Breaking All Illusions is an A+, this would be a B in my opinion.  Of course, their playing is stellar as usual and I did like the split screen video including some quick flybys of their cooking for each other.  I'm still really looking forward to this release and am hoping that this tease is just the tip of the iceberg with true surprises coming.

I pre-ordered on iTunes and the download of Untethered Angel is included. It sounds so much better through the actual download than it does on YouTube. Grab a good set of headphones and you can hear so much more than what the YouTube video offers.

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #1584 on: December 07, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
The more I listen the more I like it  :metal :metal Mondo boxset purchased  ;D.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #1585 on: December 08, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
I was revisiting this Instagram clip from the studio today - who wants to bet that the atmospheric part midway through the video is from Pale Blue Dot??

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZHNXlnzp1/?hl=en

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1586 on: December 08, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »
Good day. Is there a preorder package  of a CD that would include downloadable files on the day of release?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1587 on: December 08, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
Good day. Is there a preorder package  of a CD that would include downloadable files on the day of release?

Wondering this as well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1588 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »
https://burningshed.com/store/InsideOutMusic/dream-theater_distance-over-time-deluxe-collectors_boxset

Burning shed has their pre-orders up. That's a pricey box set, but it does include a lot of stuff! Anyone find it cheaper elsewhere online?

-Marc.

I searched and it's the same everywhere more or less. I decided not to go with the boxset. 145€ plus shipping? No, sorry. I maybe would have paid 90-100 bucks. But the only thing I only ever really listen to are the vinyls.  Plus, insideout has pretty cool limited coloured vinyls. The only thing is, the box set would look cool on my shelf.
I also saw that the boxsets of DT12, Dramatic Turn and Black Clouds are not too hard to get even now (and for less than the original price). Maybe if I find this boxset someday for 90-100 bucks I'll buy it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #1589 on: December 09, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »
I am guessing that “the viper king” is some sort of novelty song and thatis why its called a bonus song.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1590 on: December 09, 2018, 11:29:38 PM »
I am guessing that “the viper king” is some sort of novelty song and thatis why its called a bonus song.

If I had to bet, I think it's going to be this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rxmfa8OPA

We'll only know in February, but something about this riff sort of asks for a rocking theme like... a Viper King?  ???

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1591 on: December 10, 2018, 12:23:27 AM »

If I had to bet, I think it's going to be this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rxmfa8OPA

We'll only know in February, but something about this riff sort of asks for a rocking theme like... a Viper King?  ???
I wonder if that's the JM riff Mangini was talking about.

Probably is.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline dream75

« Reply #1592 on: December 10, 2018, 07:11:33 AM »

It is not Viper King  :coolio

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1593 on: December 10, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
Yeah, song numbers just signify when they were written, and song 10 isn't song 10 on the album. Song 10 is actually S2N.

Offline rab7

« Reply #1594 on: December 10, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »
Based on every legit thing we know so far, Song 1 is At Wit's End and Song 4 is Untethered Angel

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1595 on: December 10, 2018, 07:22:43 AM »
Yeah, song numbers just signify when they were written, and song 10 isn't song 10 on the album. Song 10 is actually S2N.

Nice :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1596 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
"SONG T(WO)EN"

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1597 on: December 10, 2018, 08:05:51 AM »

And the lyrics are by JM, right?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1598 on: December 10, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
So...let me see if I correctly understand the various version of D/T:

1. $14 - Single CD, 9 tracks, no "Viper King"
2. $35 - Double vinyl, includes VK
3. $16 - Single CD "digipack (this appears to be the annoying packaging in which the CD booklet is glued to the outer packaging), includes VK
4. $55 - Double CD version:  1 CD is the album including VK; second CD is instrumental tracks; blue ray and DVD have a bunch of alternative mumbo jumbo versions of the songs; also includes extended liner notes and additional artwork
5. $150 - looks like #2 and #4 combined (seriously...how many versions of the same songs does one person need?!), plus a picture, a poster, art cards, a "slipmat" (???), a patch, a pin, a "lenticular cover card (???) and a certificate of authenticity

So...if I want the full album (fuck this "bonus track" silliness), it seems I should buy any version other than #1, and if I don't want outdated media (seriously, when are we going to start getting reel-to-reel or 8-track versions?!) or 83 extra versions of the songs, the "digipack" version seems to be the way to go.  It's too bad I can't get some of the extra goodies without shelling out for vinyl or R2D2 mixes, but so be it.  The instrumental tracks would be kinda cool, but I bought the version of BC&SL that has those and probably haven't listened to them more than once or twice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1599 on: December 10, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
I still don't understand why would somebody want instrumental versions of the album. I gues they're helpful if you're a singer doing karaoke... but seriously, why?

And this isn't a dig at DT or anything, I see other bands doing it, like Haken.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1600 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
I still don't understand why would somebody want instrumental versions of the album. I gues they're helpful if you're a singer doing karaoke... but seriously, why?

Musicians practicing along and being able to focus better on the music without the vocals. Probably.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1601 on: December 10, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
but I bought the version of BC&SL that has those and probably haven't listened to them more than once or twice.

I have literally never listened to the instrumental version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1602 on: December 10, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »
Probably #3 for me.  #4 would be cool, but probably not going to spend that much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: December 10, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »

I drive 7 hours to my job every 2 weeks, nothing keeps me up and alert like singing out loud along with music and for severe cases of sleepiness it helps if it's an instrumental version of a song where I constantly have to keep thinking to remember the lyrics heh
That's why I can recite the lyrics to ADoTE from beginning to end like a human booklet.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1604 on: December 10, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »
but I bought the version of BC&SL that has those and probably haven't listened to them more than once or twice.

I'm sure I listened to all of Wither and maybe also TCOT.  I probably didn't listen to TBOT (I don't like the song anyway), and I think I would have been bored silly with instrumental versions of ANTR, AROP and TSF.

I for sure bought the three-CD version of BC&SL only because I wanted the covers disc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #1605 on: December 10, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
My favorite thing they did was with BC&SL where they released all the individual instrument stems, since ADToE they only offer the stems for one of the songs, they must still be stem mastering if they still have them available. Anyway I loved checking out all the individual tracks and they proved very handy for doing covers or just remixing/referencing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1606 on: December 10, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
I'll go with the good old, simple yet classic #1.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1607 on: December 10, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »

Yeah, I said no the first time DT put out an instrumental bonus disc, and continue to. I'm getting the digipak version of the record (which I think is just the bonus track). DT is a musicians band, so I get why they do it. For me, its all just noise until a singer pulls it together. But among DT fans, I'm probably in the minority on that.

Had the other versions had something else, like a live show from the Images tour, or the band performing the album in-full, in-studio, I would have bought that. But a disc of instrumental versions and all that...pass.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1608 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »

If you were to take those stems and re-edit your own unique mix of a song, maybe even with your own vocals, is that something you could then put on YouTube or would it get pulled down for copyright reasons?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
I have an album on my iPod called "BC&SL - DTF Mixes", it's 6 or 7 mixes of the best mixes people here made back when the album came out, we had a sub-forum just for submissions, some of these mixes are pretty cool.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.