Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255315 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1540 on: December 06, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
You're right. It's my fault for even trying to express my feeling when I should have known from past experience that they won't be taken with at least a little bit of seriousness.

Wow, I guess my post meant nothing then.
yes it does (to me anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1541 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
********PLEASE READ**********

I have been informed that the single is available on at least one Spotify channel outside the U.S.  Please hold off on discussing or posting about it until midnight Eastern (unless it releases in the U.S. before then).  I'm glad those of you with proper access in those countries are able to enjoy it.  But for the sake of those who are not (yet), please hold off.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1542 on: December 06, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
Thank you for the 1 day earlier birthday gift, DT!
Cool, we're together on that :coolio

And we are both Brazilian, lol.

Ih.... Vai dar namoro :hat Parabéns adiantado aos dois!

Is it midnight already? Anyone in Australia or Japan to give us the first impressions? :biggrin:
I'm pretty sure that this won't ending on dating  ;D, but maybe one day, the 3 of us can go to a DT concert together!
Happy BDay to us, RMGadelha!
I'm really looking forward to Untethered Angel in aproximately 9 hours... :hat
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1543 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
ahh........longest 63 minutes evaaar!!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1544 on: December 06, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Why is the first song (or the first "proper" song in the case of DT12 and TA) always the lead single now?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1545 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
********PLEASE READ**********

I have been informed that the single is available on at least one Spotify channel outside the U.S.  Please hold off on discussing or posting about it until midnight Eastern (unless it releases in the U.S. before then).  I'm glad those of you with proper access in those countries are able to enjoy it.  But for the sake of those who are not (yet), please hold off.  Thanks.

And what channel might that be for us outside the U.S.?
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1546 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
Your fav streaming platform

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1547 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
I choose not to listen to the single. I want to take in the whole album at once if I live long enough for the release..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1548 on: December 06, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
so youtube?

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1549 on: December 06, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
Another example how record companies haven't figured out the digital era.  Just release the single everywhere at the same time, regardless of time zone.  It shouldn't be this difficult.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1550 on: December 06, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
So it will just appear on Dream Theater's Spotify page I guess then?  :metal
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1551 on: December 06, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
At first, I was gonna say the artwork for the single would make a better album cover. However, the simplicity of the album cover itself and the image might jump out to newcomers more.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1552 on: December 06, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Wow, wtf happened here?..  :rollin

So many DT stuff going on in such little time!!.. I can't even...

Ok, staying true to my style, I'm just gonna hold for now my reactions to recent news (both the interview and the UA announcement are awesome on its own and I can't really add much more to what has been already said), and rather just gonna stick to quoting some really good posts recently made (because they're too long, I'm gonna entirely snip two of these posts; if you wanna read them, just click on their respective links)..

imo talking about most DT songs that aren't Wither or TALW in terms of lyrical VCVCBCC forms isn't the best way to go about describing their song structures. Most of the instrumental parts are written first, with the vocals being added later. TMoLS, for example, could technically be broken down to a VC structure, but that long middle section has about as much weight as the vocal sections and just labeling it as a "bridge" diminishes its importance. If you're going to do a structural analysis of a DT song (or most prog songs), you're better off thinking in terms of raw music. Honest, I find that using A/B/C labels to be much more efficient and accurate for describing their song structures.

(...)

All this mumbo jumbo is me basically trying to say that trying to describe the song structure in terms of the lyrics (for a band that doesn't put as much emphasis on the lyrics as, say, Taylor Swift) will make you miss out on a lot of details and imo give you an inaccurate picture of how the song is layed out. In reality, DT songs kind of function as both the overarching musical structure (which is more dominant) and the lyrical structure (which is more subservient). It's a weird and unique form of what I would call a "double-function form" that comes about from prog's original classical and jazz influences mixing with pop/rock music.

I absolutely suscribe to this!.. But initially and up until that point, the conversation wasn't intended to be about musical structure (at least for my part), but only about the vocal sections.. Anyways, I can totally see why you thought we were talking about that, and I appreciate you took the time to dissect all that.. It resumes very well how DT songs are constructed and the great complexity they have.. Also, it gave me an excuse to listening again (after one year or so I think) the excellent song that OtBoA is!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72yADU6gys

:lol Haven't seen that one before!.. Also, it gave me an excuse to listening TEI again (although in a slightly different way lol), which is btw also another MM era single... (and coincidentally someone just mentioned them both in their quality of being singles and at the same time being first song of the album -which is pretty common for any band I must say, even for DT-)

Agreed!..

Great post, I feel exactly the same!.. Not that this negativity has "forced" me (as someone else said) not to like these recent albums, that hasn't happen in ANY way at all.. In fact, sometimes I think that it works the other way around for me.. The more I see people hating something I love, I love it even more, because I irrationally feel that that thing was created only for myself to enjoy!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1553 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
I notice Wikipedia has lyricists for some of the songs. How legit are they? The only band interviews I've seen are the three that The Prog Report did on the band's official channel.

Offline rab7

« Reply #1554 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
I notice Wikipedia has lyricists for some of the songs. How legit are they? The only band interviews I've seen are the three that The Prog Report did on the band's official channel.

They come straight from legit interviews and press releases

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: December 06, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
Can someone clarify, maybe I missed it, is the single available at midnight tonight in your location?  Like can I go to spotify or youtube tonight at midnight or 12:01 tomorrow morning and listen to the song?  Thinking about making sure I stay up to listen tonight so I can listen first time in bed vs. at work tomorrow.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1556 on: December 06, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »
Yes, you should be able to stream it at your location at midnight.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1557 on: December 06, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Can someone clarify, maybe I missed it, is the single available at midnight tonight in your location?  Like can I go to spotify or youtube tonight at midnight or 12:01 tomorrow morning and listen to the song?  Thinking about making sure I stay up to listen tonight so I can listen first time in bed vs. at work tomorrow.

Spotify should have it available to you once you hit 12 in your timezone. It worked for me when Haken released TGD.

In YouTube, though, I guess they'll release an official video tomorrow, not at 12, but sometime during the day.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1558 on: December 06, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
Once it hits midnight, it will be in Spotify and almost always on Youtube too.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: December 06, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
Thanks, I'll just use spotify to get my listen in at midnight.  Seems like a good way to end the night although I hope it does make me not want to go to sleep because of it's awesomeness.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1560 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll just use spotify to get my listen in at midnight.  Seems like a good way to end the night although I hope it does make me not want to go to sleep because of it's awesomeness.

Ditto  :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: December 06, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
Any word on a music video coming with the song? I can't remember what happened last time, I remember the video for The Gift of Music but I can't recall if they released it with the song or later on.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1562 on: December 06, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Any word on a music video coming with the song? I can't remember what happened last time, I remember the video for The Gift of Music but I can't recall if they released it with the song or later on.
afterwards IIRC (single release was in December of 2015 and single video was in February of 2016 according to YT)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: December 06, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »
Thanks bud!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1564 on: December 06, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
anytime

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1565 on: December 06, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
Listening on loop.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1566 on: December 06, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
The Gift of Music was first released as a random NOMAC video with really really shitty audio, this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1567 on: December 06, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »
Midnight in Vilnius. Let's start this beauty  :metal

We could make sort of a Mexican wave whenever a certain country reaches midnight and someone starts listening to the song...  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1568 on: December 06, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
As soon as it goes live on the east coast (U.S.), it is fair game as far as I am concerned. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1569 on: December 06, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
I choose not to listen to the single. I want to take in the whole album at once if I live long enough for the release..

I've chosen this path as well.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1570 on: December 06, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Listened

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1571 on: December 06, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »
Anxiously awaiting the release in my timezone (same as US east coast). 35 minutes to go!!! :caffeine:

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1572 on: December 06, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »

Me too..

It'd be cool if posts about the song go to its own thread, for people who doesn't want major spoilers but are following this thread (or similars)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1573 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:19 AM »
For me it's a mix of both worlds - while I choose to not listen to anything from certain records until the album is actually out, I still read the reviews 'cause I'm curious to what the songs sound like, or are described.

With this album I'll probably hold back, I see that the reactions are mixed and in the case that I don't like the song I don't want to spend all the time from here to February fearing that the album might not be good.  Also, with such a relatively short running time, not knowing already 1/9th of the album will make for a more complete experience in February!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1574 on: December 07, 2018, 01:35:05 AM »

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael