Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255356 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1505 on: December 06, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
New single Untethered Angel is out tomorrow.

Source: DT instagram page.
New artwork! :tup

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1506 on: December 06, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
Thank you for the 1 day earlier birthday gift, DT!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1507 on: December 06, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
To everyone that is wondering what that spanish interview was that all about, I would like to provide some context about this show (although JP mentions a little bit about why they are there).

[...]

Thanks!

New single Untethered Angel is out tomorrow.

Source: DT instagram page.

:metal

And now I have to decide... will I listen or not? damn, the hard choices  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1508 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
I really like the art for the single.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1509 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »

Saw it on FB! ironically it has more stuff going on than the album cover itself  ;D (which I like, btw)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1510 on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
Just saw that.  Really excited to hear it!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:09 AM »
Nice artwork.

As for whether to listen or not, I think I'll just wait for the album this time around. Although I did that for DT12 and couldn't believe what a disappointment it was on first listen (and every subsequent listen).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1512 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
WOOHOOOO

And the single artwork is pretty good, truly portrays my student dormitory room here in Lithuania... Huge mess, heater under the window, I crying in bed after getting bad grades  :lol :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1513 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
To everyone that is wondering what that spanish interview was that all about, I would like to provide some context about this show (although JP mentions a little bit about why they are there).

The host of the show is one of the most popular comedians in Spain of the last 5 years (if not the most popular) and last year he got his own late late night show. It is broadcasted right after another late night (which is a completely new thing in Spain, although it may be common in the US) and it is directed mainly to people around their 20s to 30s.

First of all, this was not the whole interview, since they make some cuts for Youtube (the whole show is 60 minutes long and the interview is around 10 minutes longer than the youtube clip, this is always like that for every guest). Not that they spoke much about the album but the thing is that it never happens. No matter who comes to the show, they rarely speak about what the guest is promoting, it's all about the comedy and if the guests are and you like them, you will probably check it out. They spoke a little bit about the album but this was cut (the host asked if the album was out yet and JP said that it was a big secret right now and the host joked about asking JP to send him an MP3 with the album and to make sure that it was a "good MP3").

Which brings me to the second point that is that, no, they did not fly to Spain just to do this. Apparently they are on a promo tour in Europe where they are having interviews with a lot of websites and magazines and radios and (this is something that is mentioned by the director of the show, who is also the guy that plays the keyboard) very randomly to this show too because of its popularity and the fact that the director of the show and the host are both fans of the band.

That's another thing, to anyone that would know the host, the surprise was that they managed to get them on the show, not that they would invite them. The host has another show on the radio with other two guys where they just joke about everything and have some music once in a while. This music is decided by him and they have aired (is this the right term?) even Liquid Tension Experiment. They had on this same show a couple of weeks ago the band Toundra and the host asked them if what they did was similar to DT (to which they replied "we wished"   :lol).

So, anyway, as one of the few spaniards of the forum (although I almost never post and I mostly lurk  ;D)  and also a fan of this show, I wanted to provide some context to everyone that is wrapping their heads about it.

(By the way, what was mentioned at the show is true, if you ever go to Madrid, try the tap water, it is fantastic, and as you could see, a running gag  :rollin )
Thank you very much!  That clears it up for me :biggrin:

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #1514 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:13 AM »
Here we go !!!
Its tomorrow already ?  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1515 on: December 06, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
inb4 the Hugh Syme photoshop whingers brigade takes over...

It is fantastic artwork, and so is the cover art. I don't give a monkeys how it came together, it works as artwork for this specific project.

Honestly, these days any joy I get out of anything DT related is tempered with disappointment that that positivity is not universal, even though it really should be. Am I in the wrong to enjoy DT's recent music?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:28:46 AM by RoeDent »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
Honestly, these days any joy I get out of anything DT related is tempered with disappointment that that positivity is not universal, even though it really should be.

I think that's your problem rather than anyone else's. You have a choice not to engage, thereby avoiding any potential exposure to disappointment.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1517 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »

I think that's your problem rather than anyone else's. You have a choice not to engage, thereby avoiding any potential exposure to disappointment.

But I want to engage with enthusiasts, with people who enjoy the music. It's the greatest thing ever when two or more people can enthuse over something they mutually enjoy. Enthusiasm is infectious and great for the soul.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1518 on: December 06, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »

But I want to engage with enthusiasts, with people who enjoy the music. It's the greatest thing ever when two or more people can enthuse over something they mutually enjoy. Enthusiasm is infectious and great for the soul.

Okay, let me give it a shot:

I am really excited about the new album.  This band never disappoints me, and as much enthusiasm as they have toward the entire creative process behind this album, I cannot help but be excited.  The brief clips aren't much to go on, but sound really good.  The artwork is fantastic.  The only thing that gives me a slight bit of trepidation is the album length and song lengths.  Don't get me wrong--Dream Theater write really good "short" songs.  Heck, they write really good medium songs, really good long songs...just really good songs.  But I feel they are at their best when they let a song take its time to build and breath, both lyrically and musically.  Not every song needs to do that, but most of their albums have a few on the longer side that creates a nice blend between longer and shorter.  That said, track/album length really tell us next to nothing about how the music will actually sound.  Dream Theater has never failed to put out outstanding music, so I am really looking forward to this.

How's that?  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: December 06, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »

Okay, let me give it a shot:

I am really excited about the new album.  This band never disappoints me, and as much enthusiasm as they have toward the entire creative process behind this album, I cannot help but be excited.  The brief clips aren't much to go on, but sound really good.  The artwork is fantastic. The only thing that gives me a slight bit of trepidation is the album length and song lengths.  Don't get me wrong--Dream Theater write really good "short" songs.  Heck, they write really good medium songs, really good long songs...just really good songs.  But I feel they are at their best when they let a song take its time to build and breath, both lyrically and musically.  Not every song needs to do that, but most of their albums have a few on the longer side that creates a nice blend between longer and shorter.  That said, track/album length really tell us next to nothing about how the music will actually sound.  Dream Theater has never failed to put out outstanding music, so I am really looking forward to this.

How's that?  :biggrin:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! FAILED! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, I understand, RoeDent, but... goodness, I think you're seeking the impossible :)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1520 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
There’s a number 58 on the busted up box in the lower left. Hmm...

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #1521 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »

Indeed, it looks depressing as hell, but it is done quite well.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1522 on: December 06, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
You're right. It's my fault for even trying to express my feeling when I should have known from past experience that they won't be taken with at least a little bit of seriousness.

I will always love Dream Theater's music, and it will always be some of my favourite music ever. Even during times I haven't listened to much DT, any news about new albums has got me really excited with butterflies in the stomach. They are truly a magical band. We are all alone. We all experience music in our own unique way. So there's no way we can really understand what other people get out of music. It's a real shame I can't truly share my enthusiasm for something that brings me genuine joy in life (and joy is a rare thing in this world, let's be honest). It's a shame that a passage of music that for me brings me goosebumps or excites me, does absolutely nothing to the emotions of the next person. It's immensely frustrating. In my head I'm going "How the hell can you not hear the beauty of this?!", but to no avail.

So as I said, I love to engage with people who are excited and who love modern-day Dream Theater. But there are too few of those people around here. Maybe they too are repelled by the negativity around what is to me some of the best and most heartwarming and memorable music DT has ever made.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
Ooo I like this art too, reminds me of images in words but like a depressing version

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »
I think an "Excited positive" sub-forum should be in order, it's either that or you reconcile with the fact that not everybody feels the same way you do about everything, I went through that eye opening experience at 19 years old hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1525 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »
I get you, I feel kind of lonely in Facebook and youtube and unless it's pre Octavarium Stuff, it's shit so you are kind of forced not to like it.
While in reality, I like BC&SL, ADTOE, DT12 and TA like... a lot, and I wish I could express just the awesome songs on the album without being repelled and told how ignorant I am in these places
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1526 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
You're right. It's my fault for even trying to express my feeling when I should have known from past experience that they won't be taken with at least a little bit of seriousness.

Wow, I guess my post meant nothing then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #1527 on: December 06, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
There’s a number 58 on the busted up box in the lower left. Hmm...

Can't see it...  ???

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1528 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
Regardless of how the album will sound, this is the best time to be a fan: the anticipation, the revelations, the expectations, new stuff popping out... it's an experience in and of itself, it's always great and exciting to see this part of the new album life unfold!  :metal

Oh, and I'm all for the shorter songs, let's look back at Awake and remember how intense and not predictable are 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded... this tour they'll play all of SFAM and one of the favorite songs off the album is Fatal Tragedy, which is not even 8 minutes long if I remember right, and still it has a wild and long solo section, so there's still plenty of occasions for them to shine even in a 57 minutes album!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
I get you, I feel kind of lonely in Facebook and youtube and unless it's pre Octavarium Stuff, it's shit so you are kind of forced not to like it.
While in reality, I like BC&SL, ADTOE, DT12 and TA like... a lot, and I wish I could express just the awesome songs on the album without being repelled and told how ignorant I am in these places

Forced not to like it? told you're ignorant?!
Dude! you really don't need to feel that way about it! Trash talk them like they do you, that's what YouTube & FB are good for.
Some people just need to be told to eat shit, it's healthy for them.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:06 AM »

Why would you let facebook and youtube determine your own opinions about music?  I love those four albums as well, there's nothing to be ashamed of.  Who cares what other people think.

And if you are bummed not everyone is a super hardcore I love every detail type of fan of the band then that's just reality.  Everyone is different.  There's plenty of those people here and there's plenty more who love the band but also have opinions that are negative as well.  It's just life, nothing is perfect and it won't be.  Don't let other's persuade how you feel. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1531 on: December 06, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
Cool, we're together on that :coolio
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1532 on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »

And we are both Brazilian, lol.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1533 on: December 06, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
Wow, I guess my post meant nothing then.
I liked it bosk, and I largely agree, too - hope that means something.    :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1534 on: December 06, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
:hug:

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1535 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
Can I just say that the Spanish interview is amazing? Never heard of that comedian before and I really loved it.

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #1536 on: December 06, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »

And we are both Brazilian, lol.

Ih.... Vai dar namoro :hat Parabéns adiantado aos dois!

Is it midnight already? Anyone in Australia or Japan to give us the first impressions? :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: December 06, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »
Is it midnight already? Anyone in Australia or Japan to give us the first impressions? :biggrin:

I just saw some people posting their impressions on twitter, in response to the DT tweet about the single. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1538 on: December 06, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
YAY for shorter songs!

*dons flame protection suit*

:yarr
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1539 on: December 06, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »

I just saw some people posting their impressions on twitter, in response to the DT tweet about the single.

https://twitter.com/Dust_from_stars/status/1070715670617157632

"Tomorrow is today already in Hong Kong! Wow. Great song. Impressive production. Dueling solos! Killer shit. February is too far away."