Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255418 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1400 on: December 04, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
a Blu-Ray and a DVD (including a bonus track, 5.1 mixes with video animations, instrumental mixes, the album's high-resolution files, master data of the song 'Untethered Angel', extended liner Notes, additional artwork with photos from the time of the album and additional video content)

I want to know more about this.  Specifically the video animations.

It's a .gif of a bunch of images Hugh Syme copied from the internet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dream75

« Reply #1401 on: December 04, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
The only important measurement here is what SPEED the album is.

If TA is 1 and TOT10, What is the DOT speed?  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1402 on: December 04, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
I think The Gift of Music is an example of an amazing short song, for me it's a song that defines DT in 4 mins.

This. The last two albums prove that DT can write killer short(er) songs without a problem. A song doesn't need to be 15 minutes long to be progressive and amazing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1403 on: December 04, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
Good songs come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  In other words, as long as the songs are good, the track lengths will be fine.  They have nothing left to prove instrumentally, and they've done a million songs already with tons of wankery/soloing, so I welcome more cohesive tunes. :tup :tup

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1404 on: December 04, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
Fun fact: the first DT album to have (including the bonus ) 10 tracks, which of course was the normal amount of songs for many bands in the days of cassettes, etc.

What's even funnier is that I said exactly that in the "factoid" thread no long ago:

... they don't have a single album with 10 songs, which is a pretty average quantity of songs..

I guess that they still haven't done it yet.. The album has 9 tracks (the "10th" is a bonus track)..

Another fun fact: talking about the "nostalgia act" thing in a different thread I thought about the unlikely option that the album could be "short":

[on the next tour DT could play]... some songs of the new album (maybe the whole album!, who knows, depends on the length of the album) and some others..

I think they could easily play the whole thing..

77 (SFAM) + 61 (DOT plus the bonus track) = 2h and 18 minutes ..... which would leave room for only one or two songs maybe, so it's unlikely, but who knows..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1405 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »

:P

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1406 on: December 04, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
I don't think time is the issue here at all, 2:18 means there's up to half an hour left of the show (2:43 shows are totally not unheard of DT)
Rather, they've said they'd play other songs aside from these two albums.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1407 on: December 04, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »
I'm trying not to form any opinions based on track lengths.  I generally prefer longer songs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that shorter songs are bad or less developed.  But I have seen comments along the lines of shorter means they are "trimming the fat," or the equivalent.  I strongly disagree with that sentiment.  That assumes there is "fat" that needs "trimming" in the first place.  Even in DT's longest songs, I find very little that, to me, sounds like something that should have been trimmed down.  There are only a small handful of songs that I felt contained songs that could/should have been trimmed down just a bit where that would have made them "better" songs (off the top of my head, the only ones are The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, Repentance, TMOLS, ANTR, The Shattered Fortress, and TCOT).

Completely agree with the general statement, completely disagree with the examples inside the parentheses..

If I'd have to think of songs with instrumental sections that don't do much for me, I would rather pick: New Millennium, BMUBMD, Behind the Veil and Illumination Theory.. But by no means I'd think that these songs would've been better if their respective instrumental sections would've been "trimmed down", 1) because it only feels weird and very contradictory to the fact that I think they are the best band at making instrumental sections, and 2) because most songs are usually created in such given and specific way that you can't expect them to be better, by removing one section, no matter how short, because that way the whole song would be different than what it actually is, and maybe doing this changes the sections that you do like..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1408 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »
This deluxe set with instrumental mixes and master data has me MOST EXCITED!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1409 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:34 PM »
I just feel the songs will in the same vein as The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason, mixed with Octavarium and 6DOIT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1410 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »
What I’m hoping for are songs that have the typical wankery with great choruses and whatnot, only shrunken down, like mini versions of the usual 12 minute songs. I don’t want the short songs to mean they’ve taken out the wankery entirely just to give us verse/chorus song structures.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1411 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:41 PM »
Images and Words only has one song over ten minutes.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1412 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:40 PM »
Images and Words only has one song over ten minutes.

Awake too!
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1413 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:11 AM »
Super excited! From album art, song names and length this is highly interesting! Just hope the shorter songs still plays with the structure. One disappointment I had with ADTOE was that several songs was kinda just normal vers/chorus/vers2/chorus/bridge/chorus but in a long format. I miss a bit of chaotic (in lack for better  word) structures like Glass Prison, Fatal Tragedy, This Dying Soul had (for me at least).
But for this album I am hoping for a bit of SFAM vibe. Varied songs, heavy, groovy and some insane instrumentations.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1414 on: December 05, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
I'm fine with shorter and to the point songs. I enjoy long songs live we've seen on TOT, but i would prefer crazy sections without too many solos, just rhythmic and melodic changes.
Also, i would love to see some melodic unisons from JR and JP, i kind of miss that in the last albums, i was listening to Blind Faith the other day and i miss these joyful sections with mindblowing musicianship.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1415 on: December 05, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »
I'm fine with shorter and to the point songs. I enjoy long songs live we've seen on TOT, but i would prefer crazy sections without too many solos, just rhythmic and melodic changes.
Also, i would love to see some melodic unisons from JR and JP, i kind of miss that in the last albums, i was listening to Blind Faith the other day and i miss these joyful sections with mindblowing musicianship.

Yes absolutely! Listening to SFAM right now and their doing the crazy solo section in the middle of Beyond This Life. Took a while to get into this song but I now love it because it's just such an enjoyable ride! I think BTL, BF etc. are great example of really fun DT songs. Would love to hear some of that. But bring on some crazy unisons with some rythmic awesome juice! :D

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1416 on: December 05, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »

inb4 someone makes a tempo analysis of every DT album :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1417 on: December 05, 2018, 01:40:29 AM »
but anyway....

a Blu-Ray and a DVD (including a bonus track, 5.1 mixes with video animations, instrumental mixes, the album's high-resolution files, master data of the song 'Untethered Angel', extended liner Notes, additional artwork with photos from the time of the album and additional video content)

I want to know more about this.  Specifically the video animations.

I hope that the Blu-Ray and DVD will be sold globally and not be just some regional thing. That Blu-Ray will be the edition to get at least for me. All the additional stuff is a cool extra, but the 5.1 mix and the high-resolution files are a must have!

Offline dream75

« Reply #1418 on: December 05, 2018, 02:39:25 AM »

:P

:rollin

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1419 on: December 05, 2018, 03:03:27 AM »
For some reason, i have a feeling that this album will be Awake-like. Relatively short, punchy songs. If they nail the atmosphere, i'll be super happy.
Also, i have a hunch that one of the songs will be almost Meshuggah-like heavy and rhythmically challenging. At least that's what i'm hoping for from a Mangini perspective.

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #1420 on: December 05, 2018, 03:22:50 AM »
For some reason, i have a feeling that this album will be Awake-like. Relatively short, punchy songs. If they nail the atmosphere, i'll be super happy.
Also, i have a hunch that one of the songs will be almost Meshuggah-like heavy and rhythmically challenging. At least that's what i'm hoping for from a Mangini perspective.
Me as well sir !

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1421 on: December 05, 2018, 03:23:56 AM »
Also I have a feeling, in order to fill the lack of longer song feel their new two long songs (Pale Blue Dot and At Wit's End) have less lyrics and more intrumental sections.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1422 on: December 05, 2018, 03:37:19 AM »
Also I have a feeling, in order to fill the lack of longer song feel their new two long songs (Pale Blue Dot and At Wit's End) have less lyrics and more intrumental sections.

I actually hope for a song like Voices, with the regular solo section but filled to the brink with vocals and different sections and nice, strong vocal melodies.

We all know they're gods of their instruments - but also great vocal lines can make a song stellar, when I was starting to get the know the band and this kind of music was fairly new to me, I was in awe at how Metropolis was when it came to the vocal lines, I want more stuff like that and not just verse / chorus / verse / chorus / looooooooooong solo section / final chorus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1423 on: December 05, 2018, 03:55:23 AM »

This is exactly what I hope for! I loved The Astonishing, but release your Mangini-beast now please  :metal >:(
any rock can be made to roll

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1424 on: December 05, 2018, 04:24:33 AM »

That last paragraph, translated using google translate:

... limited artbook with two CDs, a Blu-Ray and a DVD (including a bonus track, 5.1 mixes with video animations, instrumental mixes, the album's high-resolution files, master data of the song 'Untethered Angel', extended liner Notes, additional artwork with photos from the time of the album and additional video content)

Very happy with this edition! Basically it has everything for those who doesn't buy LPs.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1425 on: December 05, 2018, 04:41:12 AM »
This site lists all the editions with prices in Euros. I'm definitely wanting the 55 Euro one if it goes on sale locally.
https://www.lacasadeldisco.es/?search=dream+theater+distance+over+time
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1426 on: December 05, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Also a famous european mailorder site has them, no details yet:

https://www.emp-online.it/search?q=Distance+over+time&lang=it_IT
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1427 on: December 05, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »
If we’re getting all these details now, the single should be coming really soon, right? :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1428 on: December 05, 2018, 05:54:06 AM »
This is amazing.

I'm literally witnessing my Dream Theater Custom Shop Parody come to life.  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1429 on: December 05, 2018, 06:11:17 AM »
Those prices are  :censored :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1430 on: December 05, 2018, 06:11:38 AM »
This is amazing.

I'm literally witnessing my Dream Theater Custom Shop Parody come to life.  :lol

It was never a parody, but a fun statement of reality  :lol

This site lists all the editions with prices in Euros. I'm definitely wanting the 55 Euro one if it goes on sale locally.
https://www.lacasadeldisco.es/?search=dream+theater+distance+over+time

Same. This CD + DVD +BR bundle is GOLD, as I don't really care about imprints, posters, cards or artworks as much as I care about audio content. If the band manage to delivery a spectacular album, I might buy the vinyl as well, to join my BCSL and DT12 vinyls.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1431 on: December 05, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
Interesting, I'm curious about the details of the different packages. What's the DVD/BR all about?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1432 on: December 05, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
Honestly, I’ll be fine with just a high quality audio download with the bonus track. Hope IO offers that as well, though I’m tempted to order the digipack version.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1433 on: December 05, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
Interesting, I'm curious about the details of the different packages. What's the DVD/BR all about?

My two best guesses: the unreleased Budokan show of the I&WAB tour, or studio stuff of them recording the album / playing the new songs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1434 on: December 05, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »

My two best guesses: the unreleased Budokan show of the I&WAB tour, or studio stuff of them recording the album / playing the new songs.

Either of those would make the CD, DVD/BR package an auto-buy for me.