Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255446 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #1295 on: December 04, 2018, 02:55:54 AM »
With such a "short" record they better skip the ballads. Too little possible awesomeness to be found if that's taking up space too. I've heard less than 10 ballads ever that do anything to me musically.

Best argument against that: Images & Words. Eight songs. Three ballads (if you count Surrounded).

57 minutes isn't long for prog, I have some more or less pop albums of that length or more in my collection.

Well, not to be a nerd, but PROG originated in the late 60s and all of the great classic prog albums are below 50 minutes (or double albums). Sgt. Pepper, Dark Side, Relayer, Selling England, Pawn Hearts, Brain Salad Surgery, UK, Crimson King, ....
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1296 on: December 04, 2018, 04:56:13 AM »
Since Out Of Reach written by JLB I hope it's something like Slightly Out Of Reach or even its key/guitar solo from EoP. ONE CAN DREAM!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1297 on: December 04, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »
Quick thought - since there’s no track called Distance over Time (and it doesn’t look like a “thematic” title, e.g. Black Clouds & Silver Linings), could it be taken from the lyrics anywhere?

My guess would be S2N. Bit sciencey?

Pale Blue Dot? That one has a direct connection to Distance over time since the picture originated from a satellite/probe that had to travel almost 4 billion miles in 14 years. Maybe they will through that in there somewhere. IDK, just my guess.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #1298 on: December 04, 2018, 05:22:54 AM »
There is new post on instagram from yeasterday press at planetradio. John use a acronym D/T so its official for Distance Over Time !

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1299 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:37 AM »
Haken’s Vector is also short and it packs quite the punch. Quality > quantity 4ever boys.

Provided that shorter means better, which is not necessarily the case.

True, but usually you could assume that shorter means that more thought was put out to these 57 mins of music than with The Astonishing’s 140 minutes (I love TA btw, but it does feel way too long).

If DT wanted they could easily put out new music every 6 months but that’s not the point. Also, at this point of their careers they’ve put out so much damn music that I actually feel it’s refreshing to hear a shorter, concise form.

Also, the debate is weird because it’s an hour of music lol. It’s a lot, but I think we were kind of spoiled with DT releasing albums very close to the 80 min cap each and every time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:44:17 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1300 on: December 04, 2018, 05:38:41 AM »
There is new post on instagram from yeasterday press at planetradio. John use a acronym D/T so its official for Distance Over Time !

It's an unnecessary confusion with the band's initials. DT's D/T... I mean, they forced James to go by his middle name for less.  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1301 on: December 04, 2018, 05:39:16 AM »
I don’t know, I get where Will’s coming from. I want to hear Viper King, but I think the “balance” of a tracklisting is a delicate thing. I’ll probably just build two playlists.

Yeah I get it too, but I won’t make such a big deal as the tone of his comment intended.
Sometimes something cool happens in the studio, but doesn’t fit into the feel of the album, and this time around instead of leaving this material to be put into future records we’ll have it as a bonus - which is something lots of people have asked here in these years.
And that’s exactly the reason why a song is presented as a bonus: it’s not part of the flow of the record, and it’s supposed to be listened with that in mind.

I'm saying this from my past experiences with bonus tracks. When I was discovering Kamelot and Nightwish, the sheer amount of bonus tracks on albums made it very hard for me to get into the bands.
I'm also looking at this from the perspective of my Aspergers: I need to have ALL of my favorite band. Which creates a paradox in my mind with a compulsive need for things to be in their original state and as intended and bonus tracks mess with that.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1302 on: December 04, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »

It's an unnecessary confusion with the band's initials. DT's D/T... I mean, they forced James to go by his middle name for less.  :D

It's intentional... Do you really think the choice of D/T was an accident, when they could've went for "speed" or "velocity"? ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1303 on: December 04, 2018, 05:59:17 AM »

It's intentional... Do you really think the choice of D/T was an accident, when they could've went for "speed" or "velocity"? ;)

Well, this could explain the weird press release of the self titled that insisted more than once that "Dream Theater releases their first self titled album", with everyone joking "Are they planning to release more self titled albums?"..... well, they did ULTRA MEGA 4K NUGGET  :o :o :o
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1304 on: December 04, 2018, 06:03:07 AM »
Ahhh so D/T is the second try at making a DT album! :angel: Love that acronym BTW, it's already a great redemption for the (imo!) low quality release that was DT ;)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1305 on: December 04, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »
With such a "short" record they better skip the ballads. Too little possible awesomeness to be found if that's taking up space too. I've heard less than 10 ballads ever that do anything to me musically. 57 minutes isn't long for prog, I have some more or less pop albums of that length or more in my collection.

"They better"?

Really?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1306 on: December 04, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
"Hidden by Design"

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1307 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »

:P

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1308 on: December 04, 2018, 06:30:28 AM »
Ahhh so D/T is the second try at making a DT album! :angel: Love that acronym BTW, it's already a great redemption for the (imo!) low quality release that was DT ;)
I haven't been a fan of the D/T acronym, but looking at it as kind of a sequel to DT is actually pretty cool.  At this point they seem to have a lot of similarities. 

For reasons I can't explain DT (the album) didn't really click with me so I'm hoping that D/T will this time around.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1309 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:26 AM »
With such a "short" record they better skip the ballads. Too little possible awesomeness to be found if that's taking up space too. I've heard less than 10 ballads ever that do anything to me musically. 57 minutes isn't long for prog, I have some more or less pop albums of that length or more in my collection.

"They better"?

Really?
probably because TA has so many. I could do without ballads, because I'm into technical pieces only. That said, I'll listen to anything they release as neutrally as I can. I've not been dissappointed with any Mangini-era album so far. I don't see why now either.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1310 on: December 04, 2018, 06:45:28 AM »
Since Out Of Reach written by JLB I hope it's something like Slightly Out Of Reach or even its key/guitar solo from EoP. ONE CAN DREAM!

The keytar solo on that one is definitely the best keyboard solo I've ever heard, sorry Jordan..  ;D

Plus, I thought about it, and came to the irrefutable conclusion that S2N, both a sequel to Surrender to Reason and a homeage to the Taken franchise, stands for "Surrender to Neeson"..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1311 on: December 04, 2018, 06:55:20 AM »
The more I think about it, I'm glad they are putting out a record that doesn't fill a CD to the max. That tells me they must have been very satisfied with the material they had and thought it felt like a complete album even though the run time was around an hour. I'd rather them do that than just keep writing for the sake of filling up more time on the album.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1312 on: December 04, 2018, 06:59:12 AM »
I wonder if they want us to use D/T as the acronym. Maybe it will be in the art work somewhere?

Remember, Rush fans didn't just randomly start calling Grace Under Pressure p/g. It's on the cover.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1313 on: December 04, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
I haven't been a fan of the D/T acronym, but looking at it as kind of a sequel to DT is actually pretty cool.  At this point they seem to have a lot of similarities. 

For reasons I can't explain DT (the album) didn't really click with me so I'm hoping that D/T will this time around.

People at DTF seem to have a weird obsession with sequels  :lol

I'm also looking at this from the perspective of my Aspergers: I need to have ALL of my favorite band. Which creates a paradox in my mind with a compulsive need for things to be in their original state and as intended and bonus tracks mess with that.

That's very interesting. I often have similar feelings about things like that.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rab7

« Reply #1314 on: December 04, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »
Quick thought - since there’s no track called Distance over Time (and it doesn’t look like a “thematic” title, e.g. Black Clouds & Silver Linings), could it be taken from the lyrics anywhere?

4/13 albums have the exact album title in the lyrics (WDADU, I&W, Awake, Octavarium) while 2 others have most of it (SFAM, The Astonishing). Interestingly, 0 of the exact album title have been during the Mangini-era.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
In this D/T promo tour JP and JLB will feature also on a Spanish tv program on the Movistar + platform,

https://www.rock-progresivo.com/dream-theater-estaran-programa-la-resistencia-de-movistar/2018/12/amp/

Here is the link to the program (which is really cool, yesterday they had Sergio Llull, who’s a very famous Real Madrid basketball player)

https://m.facebook.com/LaResistenciaCero/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:56:36 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1316 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
The more I think about it, I'm glad they are putting out a record that doesn't fill a CD to the max. That tells me they must have been very satisfied with the material they had and thought it felt like a complete album even though the run time was around an hour. I'd rather them do that than just keep writing for the sake of filling up more time on the album.

While I do agree with this, I don't think DT has ever done that in any of their full length albums..

That's very interesting. I often have similar feelings about things like that.

Same here...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1317 on: December 04, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Track length revealed on facebook!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1318 on: December 04, 2018, 08:03:24 AM »
DISTANCE OVER TIME - 22 FEBRUARY 2019

1. Untethered Angel (6:14)
2. Paralyzed (4:17)
3. Fall Into The Light (7:04)
4. Barstool Warrior (6:43)
5. Room 137 (4:23)
6. S2N (6:21)
7. At Wit’s End (9:20)
8. Out Of Reach (4:04)
9. Pale Blue Dot (8:25)
10. Viper King (4:00) (Bonus Track)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1319 on: December 04, 2018, 08:06:51 AM »
Bring it on!!!  :metal

(I'm already wondering where I'll stick Viper King in my self made tracklist  ;D )

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1320 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »

Huh...outside of The Astonishing, this is the first album since the debut to not include a song over 10 minutes in length.

This tracklist looks more like something Spock's Beard would put out, tbh, not that that's a bad thing! Now let's get a single!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1321 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
Hahaha....the comments on Facebook about the length of songs.

This is gonna be one awesome album.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1322 on: December 04, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »

Very interesting, like Marc mentioned, no songs over 10 minutes. They definitely went for a more concise approach with this one.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1323 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
Quite interesting that James' song is the longest one.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1324 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »

If the theme song from Cosmos isn't sampled at some point during this song, I am going to be very upset.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1325 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
When they said that DT12 will show the direction of their songwriting moving forward, they weren't kidding. They really have gone for the relatively short-song approach (other than Illumination Theory) beginning with that album.

Offline rab7

« Reply #1326 on: December 04, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »

Very interesting, like Marc mentioned, no songs over 10 minutes. They definitely went for a more concise approach with this one.

For perspective, think of an album (length only, not necessarily the style) with:

1. The Enemy Inside
2. Hell's Kitchen or About to Crash reprise or I Walk Beside You
3. Behind the Veil or Under a Glass Moon or Constant Motion
4. Erotomania or Fatal Tragedy
5. Another Day
6. Surrender to Reason (Appropriate, since someone joked S2N could be Surrender 2 Neeson)
7. Metropolis Pt1
8. Far From Heaven
9. A Rite of Passage or Take The Time
10. The Silent Man

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1327 on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:04 AM »

If the theme song from Cosmos isn't sampled at some point during this song, I am going to be very upset.
why wouldn't it be? I'm sure Petrucci is aware of the speech
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1328 on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
It’s based on the speech by Carl Sagan, but to my knowledge does not sample it.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1329 on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about the track lengths at all - an heavy album gets tiresome if it is 80 minutes of pure onslaught