Author Topic: Anneke van Giersbergen  (Read 5808 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Anneke van Giersbergen
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
I searched for a dedicated thread to the amazing Anneke can Giersbergen and couldn’t find any.
So I am opening this thread.

Here’s our most recent interview:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/im-happy-with-the-music-i-made-in-the-past-and-looking-forward-to-the-next-25-years-of-my-career-anneke-van-giersbergen-releases-symphonized-an-orchestral-summary-of-her-musical-output

I hope you enjoy it.

BTW she has a new LIVE album coming out in just a couple of weeks

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anneke van Giersbergen
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:58:44 PM »
Wow, two of the top three threads here are about Anneke and new interviews with her. I have no idea which one to reply to!

I only know her work in Ayreon, which of course is glorious. I am not sure how the credit gets distributed. She is obviously talented, but Arjen seems to get top notch performances out of everyone he works with too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Wow, two of the top three threads here are about Anneke and new interviews with her. I have no idea which one to reply to!

I only know her work in Ayreon, which of course is glorious. I am not sure how the credit gets distributed. She is obviously talented, but Arjen seems to get top notch performances out of everyone he works with too.

Almost everything she does is perfection. From The Gathering, to Agua De Annique, to her solo stuff, to Gentle Storm, to her work with Árstíðir, to her stuff with Devin. She just has a perfect voice.

Vuur is the only one I am not completely sold on. I enjoy it. But it seems to have the laziest vocal melodies of all of her stuff thus far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »
Forgot I have The Gentle Storm, I doubt I've listened to the whole thing. It's on my growing queue of "Stuff I keep trying to commit to listen to but never manage to."

I listened to a couple Vuur songs on Spotify but not enough to make a solid impression.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:09:46 AM »
Anneke is a GOAT but I listened to the VUUR (= Fire in Dutch) and I wasn’t able to hear a good Song or melody there. Seems like they just wanted to sound heavy.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
I don't want to offend her or her fans, but I just don't get the undying devotion people have to her music. I have listened, and listened to VUUR, and it just...it doesn't do it. And VUUR in particular, all those guys are metal dudes, and then you have this smiley happy hippy chick. Just never has clicked with me.

I am happy for her U.S. fans though, because it looks like she's got a nice tour lined up, even if it is an opening slot.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
I don't want to offend her or her fans, but I just don't get the undying devotion people have to her music. I have listened, and listened to VUUR, and it just...it doesn't do it. And VUUR in particular, all those guys are metal dudes, and then you have this smiley happy hippy chick. Just never has clicked with me.

I am happy for her U.S. fans though, because it looks like she's got a nice tour lined up, even if it is an opening slot.

VUUR isn't great. It'd be like saying "I have no idea why Metallica has any fans. I listened to St. Anger and it wasn't that good."

Well, it's not THAT extreme, but you get the point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
I like her in Ayreon, and her two solo albums are pleasant. She has a lovely voice, but I haven't delved far enough into her catalog to call myself a fan.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
I've only heard her stuff with Ayreon and The Gathering, but her voice is amazing.   In fact, I need to complete my Gathering collection.  I'm missing Souvenirs and Home.   (I also need to check out their stuff with the new gal, but that's for another thread)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »
I've only heard her stuff with Ayreon and The Gathering, but her voice is amazing.   In fact, I need to complete my Gathering collection.  I'm missing Souvenirs and Home.   (I also need to check out their stuff with the new gal, but that's for another thread)

Dude, Souvenirs and Home are great. Souvenirs specifically is sooooo good. Has this amazing mellow/haunting quality to it.

Their stuff with the new girl is great too. I'd also HIGHLY recommend their last live release. All the old singers and I think all the former musicians together. Just a blast.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »
Anneke is a GOAT but I listened to the VUUR (= Fire in Dutch) and I wasn’t able to hear a good Song or melody there. Seems like they just wanted to sound heavy.

I think she's wicked hot, but even if you don't, calling her a goat is pretty harsh.   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »

I think she's wicked hot, but even if you don't, calling her a goat is pretty harsh.

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »
So, InsideOut just published their fifth video of happy birthday wishes, and Anneke appears at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpd_JVfq8U

God, she's gorgeous. :) And she sounds adorable. (I've heard her singing, but not talking.)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
She's also sung (studio and live) with Chicago's Novembers Doom:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW-LbXzzuDg

I'm not really a fan either, aside from a guest appearance here or there that I've heard.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
I'm a fan, but I've never really been able to get into The Gathering.  I fell in love with her through her music with Devin Townsend.  I find his albums with her to be his best, Addicted specifically.  Also she appears on his live DVD The Retinal Circus which is maybe the best live concert on film IMO.

I actually really like VUUR.  They aren't anything amazing, but their one album is a solid prog metal album.  I think some of it blends together and doesn't catch you immediately, but I love the "In This Moment We Are Free" re-occuring theme and Freedom is one of my favorites from all her music.

I've got some videos from her multiple performances at ProgPower, I'll catch her solo opening for Delain and Amorphis next year

VUUR - Freedom - Rio Live @ ProgPower 19
Devin Townsend Project with Anneke Live @ ProgPower 17
The Gentle Storm - The Storm Live @ ProgPower 17

Offline Hanz Gruber

Anneke van Giersbergen "Symphonized" CD is highly recommended
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Usually live concerts with orchestras are hit and miss with me but this album is a grand slam IMO. 

The vocals mix perfectly with the orchestra. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlUm38kkOU4

I was driving around with the CD in my car. Sounds much better being surrounded by it than the youtube video.

Anyone else pick this one up yet?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anneke van Giersbergen "Symphonized" CD is highly recommended
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
I mean, it's on my radar. Still, there were some threads about it just a few weeks ago:

A thread for Anneke created a month ago: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53018.0
A thread about an interview with Anneke for this very album: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53017.0
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
There's no such thing as too much Anneke.

:hearts:

Offline Adami

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
Just bought this.

Was really hoping for a DVD or something too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 02:37:17 AM »
Just got this as well. Terrific!  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
Next year she will do another show with the "Residentie Orkest", just got tickets to it. I feel it will be about the same show, but I might be wrong. Anyways, I really enjoy the album that came out of the project.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
I want the second Vuur album. If it's anything as good as the first, it's gonna be stellar!

Also, I know it will probably never happen, I want another The Gentle Storm album. As in, an album with two versions - more acoustic and folkish and then the heavier and traditional one - written once again with Arjen. I'm mesmerized by that album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
Id like both of those as well, but neither seem likely in the near future

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
I don't really follow Anneke, but at least her planning seems empty enough for something new. She has a tour in the coming months and then in 2020 the only show is the one with the orchestra. Not sure about the other musicians, but does another Vuur album seem that unlikely? I do think Arjen is probably busy though, I assume he is working on both a new Ayreon and the live album from last month's shows. Anyways, a new Gentle Storm would be rad. But I also kind of prefer Arjen making new projects every now and then.

If the show next year is not the same as the 2018 symphonized shows, it would be amazing if they did a couple of Gentle Storm songs on top of Shores of India (or instead of). But if it is the same show, I know I will be having a great time as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 09:54:19 AM »
I believe Rodrigo did an interview with her where she said Vuur is not in the near future and she will do another solo album first

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2020, 07:07:44 AM »
Anneke van Giersbergen announces 'The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest'
– Brand new solo album: out February 26, 2021 –

Lyrically, and musically, the award-winning Dutch artist lays her soul bare with the most evocative record of her career – captivating song-stories told with acoustic guitars, strings, horns, percussion, and Anneke's hypnotic vocal harmonies
The new album's title, 'The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest', refers to the idea that, when facing personal challenges, we are forced to find answers to life's biggest questions. But, at this point in her near-three-decade-long music career, this solo album – and, crucially, the heartbreak that inspired it – was not something Anneke van Giersbergen ever anticipated writing.
In 2018, Anneke began working on new material for her metal band, VUUR. Although their debut album, 'In This Moment We Are Free - Cities', was met with a mixed reception, fans were warming up to their heavy, progressive sound. Therefore, a rapid follow-up album would surely establish Anneke's return to fronting a metal band. However, behind the scenes, these were troubled times.
Anneke shares, ”My belief in VUUR saw me spend all my savings on recording VUUR's debut album and taking the band on the road. After completing our first touring cycle, I realized that more VUUR would mean yet more, huge financial risks.”

To make matters worse, in 2018, her long-lasting marriage, which had always been wonderful, unexpectedly saw a storm approaching.
Anneke adds, “I instantly knew I needed to write music about fixing my life. This creative endeavour would be far too personal for a VUUR album. And it would also require solitude.”
With just her acoustic guitar and basic recording gear, Anneke retreated to a small house near the woods, just outside her hometown of Eindhoven. She let go of the pressures of what VUUR's future might be, and fell into the meditative process of writing a solo album. In 2019, work continued on the new songs. In 2020, Anneke asked her friend and producer, Gijs Coolen, to help finish the album.

Throughout the completion of the album, Anneke's fragile, acoustic song-stories were fused together with an alchemy of panoramic strings, horns, and percussion. The resulting 11-track record has all the intimacy of Anneke serenading an audience of one, combined with surprising departures into swampier, foot-stomping grooves.

The Japanese art of kintsugi has inspired Anneke to use a repaired heart as the album's symbol. Kintsugi teaches that bringing together the pieces of a broken object – with the use of a precious metal – adds value and uniqueness to it. And, instead of giving up on their marriage, Anneke and her husband decided to take the time to mend their bond. They now cherish the repaired heartbreak as something profoundly valuable.
Their journey through this personal storm, and the album that Anneke created in the eye of it, proves that the darkest skies truly are the brightest.

The album will be available as CD Digipak, Gatefold LP + CD & as digital album.
01. Agape
02. Hurricane
03. My Promise
04. I Saw A Car
05. The Soul Knows
06. The End
07. Keep It Simple
08. Lo And Behold
09. Losing You
10. Survive
11. Love You Like I Love You

'The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest' is Anneke's 23rd career album. It proves, once again, that the award-winning Dutch artist defies being pigeonholed by any genre.
After thirteen years as the front woman for melancholic metallers, The Gathering, she struck out on her own in 2007. Since then, her creativity has known no bounds. Anneke quickly solidified a successful solo career (initially under the moniker Agua de Annique), and has recorded and performed with Canadian metal genius Devin Townsend multiple times. She has also lent her serene yet powerful voice to the likes of: Anathema, Icelandic folk group Árstíðir, Within Temptation, Ayreon mastermind Arjen Lucassen, Amorphis, and prog legend John Wetton.
2012's 'Everything is Changing' was something of a milestone in Anneke's solo career. The album, which was the first to be released under her own name, received two Edison Award nominations – Holland's most prestigious music prize – in the categories 'Best Female Artist' and 'Best Album'.
In 2015, Anneke van Giersbergen and Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) released their collaborative album 'The Diary' under the name The Gentle Storm.
In October 2017, Anneke's progressive metal outfit VUUR released their much-anticipated debut album. 'In This Moment We Are Free - Cities' entered the Dutch Album Top 100 at number 2, Anneke's highest-ever chart position.

Forever the unpredictable artist, in late 2018, Anneke released 'Symphonized', an 11-track live orchestral album. It was recorded at two career-spanning concerts alongside Residentie Orkest The Hague, and features rearrangements of songs from her entire back catalogue.
2019 saw Dutch music copyright organisation Buma Cultuur honor Anneke with the Buma ROCKS! Export Award. This is their award for the Most Successful Dutch Artist Abroad in Heavy Music.
In 2021, the release of her new solo album 'The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest' will see Anneke surprise her fans all over again.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN online
www.annekevangiersbergen.com
www.facebook.com/annekevangiersbergenofficial
https://instagram.com/annekeannique
https://twitter.com/AnnekeAnnique
www.youtube.com/AguaDeAnniqueMusic

INSIDEOUTMUSIC online:
www.insideoutmusic.com
www.youtube.com/InsideOutMusicTV
www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic
www.twitter.com/insideouteu

Visit the new InsideOut Shop:
www.insideoutshop.de

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:35:47 AM by MinistroRaven »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2020, 07:25:33 AM »
Speaking of Anneke, news and what was discussed briefly above about the future of Vuur, she just announced her new solo album, mainly an acoustic one, which apparently it was more cathartic for her because of marital problems she candidly admitted. Vuur was too demanding time and money wise for where she was / is at the moment and so she went for a more personal and intimate album.

I hope things go better for her in her personal life!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »
Wow...That financial stress with VUUR, really took a toll on her personal life, I have a hunch, the financial losses she had with VUUR caused the storm in her marriage, because of the financial stress she put them in due to VUUR not being as successful.  (Recently, I have been noticing musicians and artists, saying more about the truth of the Music Business. This one is another of the heartfelt TRUTHS, of the business fans do not know about, and I feel, fans need to know about. There is a reason why MP wrote Never Enough.)

Otherwise, this album sounds like it's going to be one I will really enjoy. I love her more softer, calmer, introspective songs. Her voice is motherly and is just soothing and calm, that elevates her introspective songs. A good example of this is My Mother Said.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
Love everything I have heard from her.... be it The Gathering, Ayreon, Agua de Annike, Anneke van Giersbergen, AG with Arstider, The Gentle Storm or VUUR....

Will definiteley order this from her webshop...

Too bad that it sounds like there will be no more VUUR.
Glad that I got to see them live though.... and with Anneke van Giersbergen solo as one of the opening acts at that....

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »

Too bad that it sounds like there will be no more VUUR.
Glad that I got to see them live though.... and with Anneke van Giersbergen solo as one of the opening acts at that....

Yup. It's why I went to ProgPower. I knew I would never get a chance to see them again. Especially awesome that they played The Storm from The Gentle Storm, and her cover of Like a Stone was beautiful, also their cover of Fallout by Devin Townsend was fucking amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2020, 06:18:54 AM »
Anneke van Giersbergen - unveils music video of first new track “My Promise”

https://lotsofmuzik.com/anneke-van-giersbergen-unveils-music-video-of-first-new-track-my-promise/

:hefdaddy

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
That's a pretty good tune.  I'm not a huge fan in the sense I know everything she's done, but it seems like whatever I do hear, I like.   

Two thoughts from the video:
- there are moments when her mannerisms remind me of Dio (that's not an insult);
- someone needs to clean those wine glasses.   :) 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 07:14:43 AM »
That's a pretty good tune.  I'm not a huge fan in the sense I know everything she's done, but it seems like whatever I do hear, I like.   

Two thoughts from the video:
- there are moments when her mannerisms remind me of Dio (that's not an insult);
- someone needs to clean those wine glasses.   :)

hahaha I thought the same about the wine glasses

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
Listened to the video. Preordered the album....

Cost me abour twice as much as from a swedish store but at least Anneke gets more profits and I get a signature...

Really hope to see her on swedish grounds in the next year or the one after.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
That was a beautiful song. I like how that could've easily been a metal style song, but she chose to leave it simple and stripped with just strings. Love it.

Music video is pretty cool as well.