Author Topic: Recommendations for fast exciting prog metal albums (like DT or Haken) (more >)  (Read 2120 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
I want to hear more exciting, fast crazy prog metal like Dream Theater or Haken, but with minimal growls. I find bands like Riverside to be quite slow and melancholic. I want all the crazy instrumental breaks, the weird sound effects...I want to hear a band that blows my mind the way Haken and DT did when I first heard them.

Any suggestions?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Caligula's Horse

start with the album The Tide, The Thief, The River's End

do it now
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As a genre, I tend to be pretty picky about "prog metal."  But I have found Redemption and more recent Fates Warning (X, Darkness in a Different Light, Theories of Flight) to be some of the best music around nowadays.  But you aren't exactly a stranger to these forums, so I am guessing you are familiar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

Bands like Caligula's Horse and Fates Warning IMO are not the "crazy fast" kinda stuff he's looking for.

I say Symphony X. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

Bands like Caligula's Horse and Fates Warning IMO are not the "crazy fast" kinda stuff he's looking for.

I say Symphony X.

He said "fast crazy prog metal like Dream Theater or Haken."  FW is certainly a lot like DT.  And the extremely limited amount of Haken material I've heard is neither "fast" nor "crazy."  You once got me to check out the song "Deathless."  Is that atypical of Haken?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I say Symphony X. 

I might have recommended Symphony X if he had mentioned being interested in symphonic/power metal.  But since he said prog metal, I stayed focused on that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Sons of Apollo :metardica:
Iunno, Suspyre maybe?

Offline jammindude

I say Symphony X.

He said "fast crazy prog metal like Dream Theater or Haken."  FW is certainly a lot like DT.  And the extremely limited amount of Haken material I've heard is neither "fast" nor "crazy."  You once got me to check out the song "Deathless."  Is that atypical of Haken?

Based on his description...in his own words...I was thinking of the side of Haken that is more "fast and exciting".    Deathless tends to be more of the exception than the rule.   Whereas with Fates Warning (unless you go with earlier stuff) tends to be known more for their atmospheric stuff.    APSOG, Disconnected, most of FWX, even the cornerstones of the last two albums tend to be along the same lines as The Light and Shade of Things.   That tends to be Jim Matheos' signature.    Even when I met him in person, he admitted as much.   He told me that he was cutting the end off a lot of the songs in the set because too many songs tend to follow the pattern of The Eleventh Hour and he's worried about the songs all sounding the same at the shows.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:35:12 PM by jammindude »

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Shredzorz

Circus Maximus, prior to their last album.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Circus Maximus, prior to their last album.

Was just going to suggest them, very DT

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'll second Caligula's Horse, last 3 albums have been amazing. Not very DT but definitely some Haken similarities at times.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Fates Warning

[....]

songs all sounding the same

this is my thought on Fates Warning

(and Redemption for that matter as well)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Native Construct might be a good choice. They do have growls, but they're very sparse. Sample track

Offline RoeDent

As a genre, I tend to be pretty picky about "prog metal."  But I have found Redemption and more recent Fates Warning (X, Darkness in a Different Light, Theories of Flight) to be some of the best music around nowadays.  But you aren't exactly a stranger to these forums, so I am guessing you are familiar.

I've heard of those bands, but haven't really delved into their music properly. And a lot of my music is based around variants of straight-ahead progressive rock. But I'm after music with a bit more grit, a bit more punch, a bit more OOMPH!

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I shall explore further.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Maybe Headspace (specifically their I Am Anonymous album) and Threshold, if you're not familiar with those bands.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Maybe Headspace (specifically their I Am Anonymous album) and Threshold, if you're not familiar with those bands.

I'll second Headspace.

Some projects I'd recommend would be Beyond the Bridge, Speaking to Stones (the Elements album) and Silent Memorial.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They don't really fit what you are looking for, but Evergrey.  Amazing band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I've heard of those bands, but haven't really delved into their music properly. And a lot of my music is based around variants of straight-ahead progressive rock. But I'm after music with a bit more grit, a bit more punch, a bit more OOMPH!

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I shall explore further.

Here are a few samples:
-Someone Else's Problem:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQKHm_l-vcc  (more or less a "radio edit," so it is shorter and kind of comes across as a straightforward metal song)
-Stronger Than Death:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woa0HpHPSZY&list=PLmRlvxlJ-cbg_3v7KS8Bq03F9F1F0V9Uy&index=10  (from two albums ago; love the heaviness and the subject matter)
-Indulge in Color:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-AlPPfHBNc  (kind of a mini-epic, with lots of melody and emotion)
-Departure of the Pale Horse:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jqDJUUPcXw  (love this song; this is a true epic)

If these pique your interest, I think you will really like this band.  If not, I don't think they are for you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I think that Between the Buried and Me does that fast prog metal style with a lot of tempo changes better than DT but they do have growls. You could always check out their album Coma Ecliptic which is minimum harsh vocals though (like 90% clean vocals?) it's a fun ride.

Offline RoeDent

Circus Maximus....holy cow, this is exactly what I'm after!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Lost in Thought / Opus Arise. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline New World Rushman

Check out Shadow Gallery "Room V" album

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple

I didn't suggest CM, but I had a feeling that was what you're looking for. That being said... DGM. I thought Circus Maximus "Loved Ones" was maybe the best "rock" song I'd ever heard. DGM "The Secret" (pt. 1 & 2) is one of the most awesomest tracks I've ever heard.

Offline RoeDent

Listening to DGM's The Secret now. This is also very much what I'm after. Awesome! Thank you! :metal:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Shadow Gallery "Tyranny" my favorite non DT album of all time. Room V is the sequel, so definitely listen to them in order.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Superior put out some pretty good albums back in the day. "Behind" is my favorite.

Offline jammindude

Odd Logic has done some amazing stuff.   Penny for Your Thoughts was the most crazy and off kilter.   It's actually my least favorite from them, but it's still pretty freakin amazing.   And I know that there are some other Odd Logic fans around here that disagree with me about it being their "least best".   

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/oddlogic6

Offline gzarruk

I'll second this, both bands are really good.

The last two Angra records (Secret Garden and Omni) are amazing and much more prog metal than their earlier material, Omni specially. You should definitely check both of them out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bentower

I guess I'll be the first to recommend Andromeda, a band that can get quite adventurous instrumentally.
They're the most underrated prog metal band I can think of, really. I seriously hope the album they've been working on will be released eventually and that they have gotten over the conspiratorial ravings that plagued 2011's Manifest Tyranny (an otherwise fine album).

Here's an instrumental from their II=I album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOlPFPW5Tuo
But I do like their vocals as well, of which there are some in this, their most epic track. The keyboard solo around the halfway point is one of the most amazing things I've heard to this day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRWaMWv7uM

Recommended albums: II=I, Chimeira & The Immunity Zone.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

Fastreading the thread i saw no:

Watchtower

Their latest offering is "Concepts of Math: Book One" from 2016.

It's exciting, fast, crazy prog metal with no growls. They've been there from the very beginning.

Online SoundscapeMN

Watchtower  :tup
Superior  :tup :tup

Offline gzarruk

I also recommend Icefish, in case you haven’t checked them out. Their album is amazing and is very refreshing to listen to.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't suggest CM, but I had a feeling that was what you're looking for. That being said... DGM. I thought Circus Maximus "Loved Ones" was maybe the best "rock" song I'd ever heard. DGM "The Secret" (pt. 1 & 2) is one of the most awesomest tracks I've ever heard.

I think you need to hear more songs mate.

I think that Between the Buried and Me does that fast prog metal style with a lot of tempo changes better than DT but they do have growls. You could always check out their album Coma Ecliptic which is minimum harsh vocals though (like 90% clean vocals?) it's a fun ride.

90% clean vocals?  Not even close.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.