Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 97079 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. FINAL HANGMAN
« Reply #1820 on: February 28, 2019, 06:28:14 AM »
Paintbox is such a beautiful song  :heart

I honestly don't understand how ev got so many songs with just 2 letters. That is just insane
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1821 on: February 28, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »
Wow, this rarely happens, but I'm jealous for you Katt. You've got a solid round of music to listen to (even if you exclude mine).   

Of course, it's even better if you INCLUDE mine.  :) 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1822 on: February 28, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Wow, this rarely happens, but I'm jealous for you Katt. You've got a solid round of music to listen to (even if you exclude mine).   

I've been impressed almost every single round in this roulette with the variety and sheer quality of music from multiple genres and styles. That was what I was hoping for in the first place, but this round especially is something else. I'll have to look back and determine which round had my absolute favorite (overall) submissions. After I do the writeups - maybe the same day, maybe a week later - I'm going to post my top favorite songs, my favorite round, etc. just for fun.

Kattelox guessed E.

A. Stadler
1. Our Lady Peace - Starseed
2. Loverboy - Turn Me Loose
3. The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature

B. jingle.boy
1. Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
2. April Wine - Bad Side of the Moon
3. Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

C. wolfking
1. Omnium Gatherum - Frontiers
2. The Tea Party - Correspondences
3. The Night Flight Orchestra - Turn To Miami

D. Evermind
1. Insomnium - While We Sleep
2. Be'lakor - Venator
3. Countless Skies - Daybreak

E. TAC
1. Frozen Crown - Fail No More
2. In Victory - You Are The One
3. L__ _er_et_a - The Legend

F. Nekov
1. Papadosio - Vactrollio
2. Papadosio - Ear to Ear
3. Papadosio - Stick Figure

G. Parama
1. fun. - Take Your Time
2. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
3. _a__is_l_ - __rest

H. Puppies_On_Acid
1. Pendragon - Paintbox
2. Pendragon - Eraserhead
3. The Earth and I - She Abandons the Grey

I. Sacul
1. Emiliana Torrini - To Be Free
2. Gorillaz - Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
3. Burial - Near Dark

J. Indiscipline
1. The Smiths - Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want
2. Pink Floyd - Summer '68
3. Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock

K. kingshmegland
1. Tower of Power - What Is Hip?
2. Chicago - Questions 67 and 68
3. Thank You Scientist - Caverns

Guessed letters: LINT SCARE
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:36:58 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1823 on: February 28, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
The Legend
Ear to Ear
Every Planet We Reach is Dead
Near Dark
The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
What is Hip?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1824 on: February 28, 2019, 02:15:59 PM »
S

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: February 28, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
I cannot - CANNOT! - believe ya'll haven't gotten Indi's second song. Especially Evermind who MacGyver'd his way through the first half of hangman with two letters and a piece of string but couldn't get that one.  :lol But yes, updated!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1826 on: February 28, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
Pink Floyd - Summer '68
Also the Burial song is Near Dark I just edited my post before seeing new posts so that might have been missed

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: February 28, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
Owlboy saves the day  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1828 on: February 28, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
Vactrollio
No clue what TAC's artist is

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: February 28, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
I cannot - CANNOT! - believe ya'll haven't gotten Indi's second song. Especially Evermind who MacGyver'd his way through the first half of hangman with two letters and a piece of string but couldn't get that one.  :lol But yes, updated!

I kinda stopped paying attention after that, to be honest. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1830 on: February 28, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »

After I do the writeups - maybe the same day, maybe a week later - I'm going to post my top favorite songs, my favorite round, etc. just for fun.

Perhaps then you can send me your Concept album and I can do my Puppies Roulette bonus round  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: February 28, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
I swear I haven't forgotten about that. I promise I'm working on it.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1832 on: March 01, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
I swear I haven't forgotten about that. I promise I'm working on it.  :lol
No worries. I'm more concerned with how I did in this final round here  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1833 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »

After I do the writeups - maybe the same day, maybe a week later - I'm going to post my top favorite songs, my favorite round, etc. just for fun.

Perhaps then you can send me your Concept album and I can do my Puppies Roulette bonus round  :corn

Don’t worry Katt.. I sent mine when asked, and he hasn’t told me a damned thing about his opinion if it.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1834 on: March 01, 2019, 08:36:22 PM »
i put it in his head to do hangmanen for the two albums once they're both in so i think he's waiting on katt  :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1835 on: March 01, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
i put it in his head to do hangmanen for the two albums once they're both in so i think he's waiting on katt  :P
Pretty much this.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
I promise you'll get it. I'm working on results and accolades now.  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can post the last results either in parts (aka now) or wait and post them all at once tomorrow.

Preference?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
It's the final countdown man, all at once of course.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Okay. Haven't been up very long but I got some things to do then I'll put the finishing touches on everything and wrap this bad boy up.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally)
« Reply #1842 on: March 03, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
I was surprised calculating these scores. I did all the songs first, randomly, as I did the writeups, then I did the final scores at the end. Your scores this round are still an average of 3 songs, but with the bonus points tossed in there, so it's higher than usual.

Congratulations to the winner, and thanks for playing, everybody. You all won in my book. Got a lot more listening ahead of me :)

#11. Parama

fun. - Take Your Time 6.2
   Really? Parama likes fun.? Next you'll tell me you like Owl City. I only know the one annoying-as-fuck song that's been played everywhere. This is a very strange look into another side of them. There's some great musical moments here - the beach-like dancey part, the lovely da-na-na harmonies... but that lead singer's voice is unbearable to me and basically any section without him is enjoyable. This is a really weird song. These guys have an odd vibe but it's not my kind of odd vibe.

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism 9.2
   This isn't at all what I expected. At first I just thought it was a pretty, post-rock-ish style song, but then I paid attention to the lyrics. Beautiful metaphors and singing. Tragic song. Good stuff. [+1 BP]

Kaddisfly - Forest 7.5
   Yeah, I think the singer is my least favorite part of this group. He's not bad, I just don't love his voice. The first four minutes are okay, but from that point on the song gets better. That instrumental section has a bunch of good musical ideas. Still not sold on them though.

Current Score: 8.56
Round 10 Score: 22.90 + 1 BP = 23.90
Average w/ BP: 7.96~
FINAL SCORE: 16.52

Final Thoughts: I'm glad you jumped in for a couple rounds. That was fun. :)

#1 favorite submission: Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

#10. Evermind

Insomnium - While We Sleep 8.5
   This band is playing ProgPower USA this year. I'm interested in their performance because I've heard Winter's Gate - not a captivating album but it was surprisingly inoffensive. I get a strong Amorphis vibe from the hook of this. I like the repeated lyric, "We need to slow down" but I really do not like that they use growls when the guitars bring so much color and life to the music. They could be amazing with a trained, aggressive singer belting over the rest of the band, which is playing some gorgeous melodic heavy metal, but the few clean backing vox aren't enough. I REALLY like this and this could be 9+ with cleans, but those growls take a lot away. When I first scored this, I gave it a 6.5, but it grew on me. Now I'm just more annoyed by the growls than anything, but it should say something that this, along with Omnium Gatherum, really stood out this round.

Be'lakor - Venator 4.0
   The first minute is so promising, which is what it gets points for, but then it turns into the same song every melodeath band has written before. I'm extremely picky with growls and these are not good to me. They have no soul, they have no identity, and they're almost never interesting if they aren't used in moderation. I struggled with this.

Countless Skies - Daybreak 6.2
   The growls make this really unpalatable which is a shame because I like the piano and the lead guitar, and the last minute and a half is pleasant. It's not very compelling to me, but it's not the worst thing here. It's just... there.

Current Score: 75.45 [+12 BP]
Round 10 Score: 18.70 + 12 BP = 30.70
Average w/ BP: 10.23~
FINAL SCORE: 85.68

Final Thoughts: Coming in at the end isn't really a bad thing in this roulette cause you sent lots of cool stuff dude. Though I do think our tastes aren't totally in alignment, it's not really by much. Though you threw caution to the wind in the last round and I respect that :2metal:

#1 favorite submission: Avatarium - Moonhorse

#9. Indiscipline

The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want 9.0
   Wow, this is short, simple, and to the point. I really like that - sometimes songs don't need to go on and on, they just need to get the message across. Beautiful little guitar licks at the end of the lyrical phrases, and the ethereal synths in the back half are exquisite. The runtime is short and the song is actually stronger for it. [+1 BP]

Pink Floyd - Summer '68 7.5
   You're right... I wouldn't have guessed this is Floyd. The earliest Floyd song I know (AND like) is Echoes. I have big gaps in my knowledge of this band's catalog. This is clearly between the Syd era and the Dark Side era, or even Meddle. I really like what's going on with the horns here. At first I didn't like this song, but it's really kind of cool. I get a Beatles vibe during some of the horn bits - is that a strange comparison? It gets a little weird and spacey towards the end which is what I like from Floyd. I'm just not sure if this is something I'd listen to when I want to hear Floyd, when I could be playing Brain Damage or Run Like Hell instead.

Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock 9.1
   Gorgeous. This is some 70s-sounding baby-making music, no sexy electronic beats required. Maybe it's the version I'm listening to but the recording quality is not top notch - but it lends a distinctly vintage quality to the sound that works in the Hammond organ's favor. Playlist material. What a voice, this is a treat. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 75.21 [+4 BP]
Round 10 Score: 25.60 + 6 BP = 31.60
Average w/ BP: 10.53~
FINAL SCORE: 85.74

Final Thoughts: Got quite a few unique submissions that were unlike anything else sent. Everything from prog to musical theater and classical and more. You added a heaping help of diversity to this game.

#1 favorite submission: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

#8. wolfking

Omnium Gatherum - Frontiers 8.8
   Very conflicted on this song. It's such a shame they use such generic growl vocals because this is a truly wonderful song outside of the cookie monster bullshit. He sounds just like Johan Hegg who sounds like a thousand other people. The crunchy groove bridging the verses and chorus is awesome, and what the lead guitar does in the chorus proper is a beautiful thing. Love the instrumental bit with the piano. Everything about this is great except those terrible vocals. Could easily be 9.3+ with cleans.

The Tea Party - Correspondences 7.3
   Didn't expect this given your love for sending heavy metal. Put bluntly, this isn't amazing, but it's not bad either. It's pretty dreary and takes its time. Singer doesn't do much for me, but I do like the chorus lyric "Does it tear you apart, my love?" and a lot of what the guitar does in the back half of the song. If this is a good summary of their sound I don't think I could do a whole album because it's kind of a downer but for what it is this is an all right song.

The Night Flight Orchestra - Turn To Miami 8.1
   This is not what I expected a group with this name to sound like. Big 80s vibe. Another song that reminds me of Toto. Again I'm a huge melody and chorus guy, and love a steady driving beat, and this gets close to nailing that. Sick guitar solo, smooth transition back to the hook, gets right to it. I feel like I've heard this before but I have no way of knowing. Not rushing to replay, but they're on my radar now.

Current Score: 76.02 [+5 BP]
Round 10 Score: 24.20 + 5 BP = 29.20
Average w/ BP: 9.73
FINAL SCORE:  85.75

Final Thoughts: I love that we have a similar adoration for all things Jorn. Always got some killer rock and heavy metal from you. Thanks for playing.

#1 favorite submission: Blessed By A Broken Heart - Shut Up And Rock

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: March 03, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
#7. jingle.boy

Lighthouse - One Fine Morning 8.6
   I can smell the 70s on this song. I like horns, groovy bass, and smart playing... this is nice. Total hippie rock jam. Nice piano solo, for a minute it taps into the vibe I love so much about fox capture plan, the band Nekov sent a few rounds ago. Not a whole lot to say about this - I wish classic rock radio played more stuff like this because it's funky and the bright horns add a lot of character.

April Wine - Bad Side of the Moon 7.6
   Hmmm. Yeah, this isn't bad, it just doesn't have much of a vibe to me. I think it's better served as a background track for [insert activity here] than active listening, 'cause there's not a lot to chew on here. The playing is fine, there's nothing wrong with the lyrics, it just sounds like a standard old school rock song.

Triumph - Fight the Good Fight 8.1
   All I know about Triumph is that I don't like the guy's voice and the riffs are boring. Most of this song doesn't sound familiar but I KNOW I've heard the chorus (fight the good fight, every moment...) before, so this probably played a lot at my old job. The solo is nice, and I like the faint synth holding down a couple notes in the background. And the guy's certainly hitting the notes. There's just something about this... It's not fast enough or heavy enough and I don't like the lyrics. But it's not bad. It's just... Triumph/10. Honestly, it's way better than the two other Triumph songs I know which annoy the shit out of me.

Current Score: 76.02 [+6 BP]
Round 10 Score: 24.30 + 6 BP = 30.30
Average w/ BP: 10.10
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 86.12

Final Thoughts: Man did I get a buttload of awesome bands from you in this roulette. You have a killer taste in prog and power metal and helped me regain a lot of enthusiasm for power metal specifically.

#1 favorite submission: Soul Secret - Behind the Curtain

#6. Puppies_On_Acid

The Earth and I - She Abandons the Grey 6.6
   I think this is another song that is just way too long for its own good. I saw this band at ProgPower last year called Oceans of Slumber and this reminds me of them: really dull during the soft bits, with sudden bursts of intensity. Though this is a bit more active, and I really enjoy the guitars in the 7 minute area where they play this slick bit over the bass. But beyond that, I struggle. Again, it's just too long for what it is.

Pendragon - Paintbox 9.5
   Amazing. I love the bright synths. The vocal part at :50 that pops up throughout the song shimmers with beauty. 3:15 is where I really get into it. The bass groove at 4:05 rocks too. But the synth lead at 4:15, holy crap dude. That section is incredible, and it only gets better for another 2 minutes. I'm not saying the rest of it is bad (it's excellent, actually), but that instrumental section is magical and I wish it was longer. Playlist. [+1 BP]

Pendragon - Eraserhead 8.8
   This was a bit confusing because it doesn't sound much like Paintbox. The playing is top notch all around. There's a little darkness to it that is a bit disappointing because the cheerful vibe of Paintbox is much more powerful to me. Clive Nolan's solos are awesome though, and the vibe isn't bad, it's actually quite good, I just expected more of that saccharine sound. This reminds me of bits of Steven Wilson, Opeth, Katatonia, Riverside - it's a little cold, but very good.

Current Score: 75.41 [+7 BP]
Round 10 Score: 24.90 + 8 BP = 32.90
Average w/ BP: 10.96~
FINAL SCORE: 86.37

Final Thoughts: I'm glad you took the opportunity to send several bands I wanted to hear more of: King Crimson, Marillion, Type O Negative, and lots of stuff I've never heard of. Even with stiff competition you sent several knockout tracks.

#1 favorite submission: Marillion - Neverland

#5. TAC

Frozen Crown - Fail No More 8.2
   Generic power metal, in a kind-of-good way. Sounds like another Stratoclone band, but not a bad one... The female singer is weak as hell though and the chorus suffers for it, which sucks, but the rest of the song is classic power metal done well, so maybe the singers will grow on me. I've heard about this band recently so I need to keep an eye on them.

In Victory - You Are The One 7.5
   Generic power metal, in a this-could-be-worse-I-guess way. At least it has some symphonic depth to it, but not overbearing like a lot of recent bands are trying to be. It just takes a template that's been done a million times and executes it well. Not very inspired but that solo section has a lot to love and it's a good gym track...

Lux Perpetua - The Legend 8.4
   Generic power metal, in a this-is-just-right way. There's absolutely nothing here that reinvents the wheel or stands out as unique in any way but it's got it all, the production, the shreddy bits, the energy, it's a nice power metal tune. Even the name of the song and band are generic as all get out yet I like this. The harpsichord and brass have a lot to do with that.

Current Score: 76.45 [+8 BP]
Round 10 Score: 24.10 + 8 BP = 32.10
Average w/ BP: 10.70
FINAL SCORE: 87.15

Final Thoughts: It boggles my mind how much heavy/power/speed metal you listen to and are aware of, but you didn't get into Blind Guardian last year. Almost every band you sent was a band even I hadn't heard of. That's nuts. Yeah man, you consistently sent new headbangers every round and that's pretty awesome to me.

#1 favorite submission: Dreamtale - Refuge From Reality

#4. kingshmegland

Tower of Power - What Is Hip? 9.2
   Let me tell ya, bud - I am SORELY lacking on this kind of music in my collection. My go-to for horns-based funky music is this British acid jazz group called Incognito, but Tower of Power is a group I've thought about for years, and this is cool as hell because this reminds me of Incognito in every way, from the female singer's voice to the horns and funky grooves in the rhythm section, with a lot more 70s Hammond in the mix. This is the kind of stuff I love to play around the house, good weekend jams. This rules, thank you for sending this group to me. [+1 BP]

Chicago - Questions 67 and 68 8.3
   25 or 6 to 4, If You Leave Me Now - those are two Chicago songs I'm certain I know, and I really like them. I've wanted to explore them for a long time. This one doesn't quite hit me like If You Leave Me Now but I really like the brass section and piano together and the upbeat vibe it gives off. I should know the singer's name but don't - I like him. Maybe I should just pick up a Greatest Hits from Chicago, 'cause I have yet to be disappointed.

Thank You Scientist - Caverns 8.6
   One of these songs is not like the others... Parama sent me their first album in my album roulette but this has a totally different vibe at first. It starts off nice and subdued before getting into heavier, more familiar territory. But it kind of sucks too because that guitar part in the first verse never comes back and that's SUCH a cool vibe, it's almost criminal to just abandon it and go back to the distorted riffs. The rest of the song is good, the instrumental part is totally TYS and it's a vibe nobody else seems to have, but I just wanted that first verse riff to be the glue that held this song together because it's the best part of the song. Still, it's really good.

Current Score: 76.42 [+8 BP]
Round 10 Score: 26.10 + 9 BP = 35.10
Average w/ BP: 11.70
FINAL SCORE: 88.12

Final Thoughts: The variety of music you sent alone is kickass, but what I like even more is that they're all songs you really like for one reason or another and thought I would like.

#1 favorite submission: Freaky Jelly - Nothing To Feel

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: March 03, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
#3. Stadler

Our Lady Peace - Starseed 7.4
   Did this get played on the radio? I feel like I've heard this a lot. I don't know a lot about Smashing Pumpkins but this makes me think of them. This sounds so familiar... I like the main riff. Ah, think I got it. It sounds like garage rock. Yeah, the main riff is cool, but otherwise it sounds very familiar to lots of garage/stoner rock I heard at my last job. Not bad, but not my thing.

Loverboy - Turn Me Loose 9.3
   So, I was showing this song to one of my best friends the other night and he told me about one of the shows his mom saw in the 80s - Loverboy. She saw KISS, Motley Crue, GnR etc. and apparently at Loverboy she saw more drugs than anywhere else, by a long shot. If I was at a Loverboy show in their prime and they played this, yeah, I'd probably get fucking blitzed and dance my ass off. I've never heard this song in high quality before but I have heard it a thousand times on the radio. It's really cool to hear the nuances. For example I've never known there was a synth in here, or that the bass line and riffs are actually awesome. Chorus is so danceable and fun but dude, I swear, I can only picture a disco dance floor when I hear this song. No wonder my dad loves this band... You didn't sell this one with confidence and I wonder why, because this might sound cheesy to some but I think this rules. Music shouldn't be afraid to be fun. That's why I like Rhapsody. :) [+1 BP]

The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature 8.5
   I like this. It's chill and groovy. It reminds me of The Doors but more fun. Love how they put the two vocal parts together at the end. This song has fun riffs but they're thankfully mixed so that they don't overpower anybody else at all and it serves the song. Definitely a hippie jam. Always felt like I should know more about this group, so this was fun.

Current Score: 76.71 [+9 BP]
Round 10 Score: 25.20 + 10 BP = 35.20
Average w/ BP: 11.73~
FINAL SCORE: 88.44

Final Thoughts: Thanks for introducing me to lots of classics and big names that I either haven't listened to or had a certain view of that you managed to shift. That includes the songs I heard on radio but only in shitty FM quality in a noisy shop. There's a whole lot to chew on in your picks. Thanks a bunch for playing, man. Top 3 - you might get partial immunity if I do another roulette.

#1 favorite submission: Rainbow - Fire Dance

#2. Nekov

Papadosio - Vactrollio 8.2
   I like this track. The ending is awesome, and I really love it up to about the 4 minute mark, but between that point and the ending, it starts to wear out its welcome. The beat and the active synth/piano stuff in the first few minutes is lovely and I kinda wish the song ended a few minutes before it really does. But this is still really nice.

Papadosio - Ear to Ear 8.5
   I think of the beach when I hear this song. Really cool drumming and bass in this track. This gives off really good vibes and I like that. Good chill out music, as expected, not much more to say about it honestly.

Papadosio - Stick Figure 8.8
   I think this album will be a delightful listen. This is really good. It's playful, it's upbeat, and it's got a lot of cool synths, but it doesn't leave out the electric guitar either. Seems like this album would be really worth checking out.

Current Score: 78.37 [+10 BP]
Round 10 Score: 25.50 + 10 BP = 35.50
Average w/ BP: 11.83~
FINAL SCORE: 90.20

Final Thoughts: You consistently held the first place spot for most of this roulette, and I was sure you were going to hang onto it even at the end. You also were the only one to get me to listen to a full album in the middle of the roulette with fox capture plan. It seems like almost all of your songs came out of left field from artists I've never read about anywhere online, and yet they impressed the hell out of me, so I'm really glad you played in this. You expanded my electronic music knowledge a lot with a bunch of songs that I love. You'll get partial immunity if I run another roulette.

#1 favorite submission: fox capture plan - Asian Dancer

#1. Sacul

Emiliana Torrini - To Be Free 8.6
   Still trying to understand what trip hop is. Is this trip hop? It sounds like Portishead but more electronic. I dig it. Really nice head-bobbing rhythm and she has a pleasant voice. I think I just love songs that have this beat. It's really nice.

Gorillaz - Every Planet We Reach Is Dead 8.2
   Interesting tune, given that I only know Feel Good, Inc. I've never known what to make of Gorillaz since I only knew Feel Good, Inc. - this is a pleasant surprise with some meat on its bones. The grimey, jazzy vibe isn't something I expected from Gorillaz. I really like the music in the back half.

Burial - Near Dark 9.1
   So, whatever genre this is, it's awesome. I enjoy the hell out of it, clearly. I have a lot of artificial lighting in my room - lava lamps, color changing LEDs behind my TV, soon to have panels up on the walls that sync to the music, etc. This is really, really good for matching that chill hippie vibe. The ghostly melodies are dope. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 77.50 [+13 BP]
Round 10 Score: 25.90 + 14 BP = 39.90
Average w/ BP: 13.30
FINAL SCORE: 90.80

Final Thoughts: You played the game well, dude. You weren't in the lead, but you consistently racked up bonus points and appealed to my newfound love of what is apparently trip-hop and chill tunes while also sending a few songs that rocked hard. That's two roulettes in a row. Congrats! If there's a third roulette, you've earned early round immunity.

#1 favorite submission: Casualties of Cool - Moon

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: March 03, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »
Roulettes & Dragons Final Results

12. Parama: 8.56 / 7.96 = 16.52

11. Elite:   8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 8.76 = 50.69 [+5 BP]

10. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 7.70 / 8.80 / 7.83 / 8.93 / 10.23 = 85.68

9. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 / 8.40 / 8.63 / 9.26 / 7.50 / 8.53 / 10.53 = 85.74

8. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 / 7.80 / 8.50 / 8.30 / 8.50 / 8.03 / 9.73 = 85.75

7. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 / 8.60 / 7.10 / 9.00 / 8.66 / 7.66 / 10.10 = 86.12

6. Puppies_On_Acid: 8.73 / 8.37 / 9.43 / 8.67 / 7.76 / 8.06 / 8.23 / 6.90 / 9.26 / 10.96 = 86.37

5. TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 / 9.20 / 9.00 / 8.00 / 8.96 / 8.43 / 8.33 / 8.50 / 10.70 = 87.15

4. kingshmegland:   8.37 / 8.03 / 8.80 / 9.00 / 8.76 / 8.10 / 8.66 / 8.10 / 8.66 / 11.70 = 88.12

3. Stadler:   8.67 / 8.33 / 8.76 / 7.83 / 9.30 / 7.30 / 8.50 / 8.86 / 9.16 / 11.73 = 88.44

2. Nekov:   8.53 / 8.27 / 8.90 / 9.50 / 8.86 / 7.83 / 9.66 / 8.06 / 8.76 / 11.83 = 90.20

1. Sacul:   7.50 / 8.40 / 8.60 / 9.27 / 9.10 / 8.20 / 8.50 / 7.63 / 9.30 / 13.30 = 90.80

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1846 on: March 03, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
well, you liked one of them  :corn

ftr fun's second album is mostly crap, they sold out hard

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1847 on: March 03, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »
Mike, thanks so much for having me on your Roulette.  I hope I opened up new musical avenues for you.  Sharing the love of music it what it's all about.

Sacul.  Congrats man! Tough fought win over a wrecking ball in these Roulettes that is Nekov.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:31:33 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1848 on: March 03, 2019, 02:25:40 PM »
Yay! Top 5.

Congrats Stadler on#3 place!!!

Nekov got mugged.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: March 03, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
Overall I'm actually pretty happy with how I did here. Glad you enjoyed quite a few of the songs I sent. This was a fun roulette, 11/10, would narrowly dodge getting roasted by a dragon again.... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1850 on: March 03, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
Congrats Sacul, that was some bad ass last corner overtaking. And Nekov, a big friendly pat on the back. A round of drinks for everybody else.

Katt, this roulette has been a really lovely experience, and I'm sorry I have slowed down its pace for bit. I'm obviously glad you've liked some stuff I sent, but the greatest thing has been feeling like I wasn't just selecting music to be approved, but pouring new cocktails for a thirsty buddy, and what's better than that?

Cheers, pal!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1851 on: March 03, 2019, 06:04:00 PM »
If I replace my two 5s with even average scores (for this roulette), I'm in the hunt for 3rd.

Pulled a Cliff Claven here.... Twice.  :lol

Enjoy all the good tunes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Wow Turn Me Loose with a 9.3, that'll do me haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1853 on: March 03, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »
:omg: Hell yeah :2metal: 

I was really worried that I would end up in the middle of the pack this time since I started with the wrong foot and the competition was fierce  :lol

Thanks Katt for running this, had fun sending bands I don't usually get the chance to send, and hope you have fun digging into all the bands we sent you here - you'll certainly have enough music for a couple of years at least.

Btw, Burial is Future Garage and Dubstep, and that record is amazing - the first electronic album I got into, and even now, the one I love the most.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: March 04, 2019, 07:36:08 AM »
It does feel a little bit like I was mugged but it is what it is. Congrats Sacul on the win!
Katt, I'm really glad you enjoyed most of the music I sent and I hope you'll enjoy discovering more of those bands yourself. The roulettes & dragons thing you pulled off was one of a kind and super fun while it lasted, I would love to repeat it some time in the future.  :smiley: