Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 96827 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. send for round 7!
« Reply #1330 on: February 07, 2019, 04:39:21 AM »
I have never heard of it. Like not ever. How would I have ever heard of it?

I AM NOT A NERD! :lol

I think you were the family gimp only let out for 1 hour a day.  It explains a lot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:20:40 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1331 on: February 07, 2019, 05:05:43 AM »
Need 5 more submissions. Results coming Sunday no matter what (because no Super Bowl this weekend  :) ).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1332 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »
I have never heard of it. Like not ever. How would I have ever heard of it?

Wow... it's like... one of the all-time classic arcade games, and was considered ground-breaking technology when it was released in '83.

Sometimes I wonder if you are proof there is alien life, and/or time travellers.  I'm afraid to ask if you've heard of Space Invaders, because I think the answer would be "of course, that's how I arrived on Earth".  :lol

But that's the thing. In 1983, I had no clue was video games were doing. My only exposure to them was when the first ones started popping up in hockey rinks. Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man..This is 1981. I watched, but I never had any interest in playing. My parents bought us Intellivision, but other than playing some of the sports games after school in the 7th grade, it never held my interest.

That's when music became a huge part of my life.

In high school, when we'd go to the mall, I'd be playing table hockey. I didn't have the slightest idea of what other video games were there. I didn't care.

I've never heard of Dragon's Lair before you mentioned it yesterday.

I have heard of Call Of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. I think in one, you can shoot people, and in the other you drive a cartoon car. BFD. No offence to those that enjoy that kind of thing. Cool with me. But that stuff does not interest me at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1333 on: February 07, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Fair enough, but ... I mean c'mon.  Dragon's Lair was a cultural icon.  It's like saying you've never heard of the movie Blade Runner.  Maybe you've never played (watched) or physically saw it (which is surprising enough), but to have never heard of it??  I thought I was beyond being shocked by some of your cultural ignorance (by no means do I mean to sound negative or derogatory... just using the literal definition of ignorant), but this is a biggie for someone from our generation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1334 on: February 07, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Fair enough, but ... I mean c'mon.  Dragon's Lair was a cultural icon.  It's like saying you've never heard of the movie Blade Runner.  Maybe you've never played (watched) or physically saw it (which is surprising enough), but to have never heard of it??  I thought I was beyond being shocked by some of your cultural ignorance (by no means do I mean to sound negative or derogatory... just using the literal definition of ignorant), but this is a biggie for someone from our generation.

Not to side with TAC here, or to be belligerent, but just as note...  I AM a gamer of sorts.  I DID play video games (Missile Command to this day can suck up hours of my time). I played all 9 Ultima games multiple times (including the 17 parts to Ultima VII and both Underworld games).  I still do play (though I'm stuck on PS3/xBox360 for now and am playing games that came out four or five years ago because I'm cheap AF) and I'm not 100% sure I know what Dragon's Lair is.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1335 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
(because no Super Bowl this weekend  :) ).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: February 07, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
Adorable superb owl. :hug:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »

I had to google it. I was't around at the time but I know every single other game the guys mentioned. For what I can see it's a rip off Prince of Persia
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1338 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
I still do play (though I'm stuck on PS3/xBox360 for now and am playing games that came out four or five years ago because I'm cheap AF)

I'm the same.  I have invested in a PS4, but I'm still 2-3 years behind on games.  Why the hell pay $70 for a brand new game when $20 will suffice a couple years later.  I just finished Doom (2016 version).  So much nostalgia.

@ Nekov... Since Prince of Persia came out 6 years later, wouldn't that make PoP a ripoff of Dragon's Lair?  :biggrin:

I don't want to belabour or argue the point much either - maybe it wasn't as big a 'cultural icon' as I understood it to be, but when I see this

It is currently one of only three video games (along with Pong and Pac-Man) in storage at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.

I kinda think it was.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: February 07, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »
Super Mario Bros. really needs to be there. If any other game deserves a spot int hat list, it's SMB

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1340 on: February 07, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
I've got no clue on what to send but I'll try find something now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1341 on: February 07, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
Super Mario Bros. really needs to be there. If any other game deserves a spot int hat list, it's SMB

Zork
Space Invaders
Asteroids

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: February 07, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Sent!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1343 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:30 AM »

Even I've heard of this game, so I agree. :P

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1344 on: February 07, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »

Zork
You are likely to be eaten by a Grue!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1345 on: February 07, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
It's like saying you've never heard of the movie Blade Runner. 

I've heard of Blade Runner. I've just never actually watched Blade Runner.

It is currently one of only three video games (along with Pong and Pac-Man) in storage at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.

I kinda think it was.

I think it's more like, if you want to buy Pac Man, here's this game that no one wants as a freebie. Either that of the Smithsonian had a Groupon, which is used to help move broken glass.

Not to side with TAC here, or to be belligerent,

Hey, what do you mean by that? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: February 07, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
You should look up the definition Tim.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: February 08, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
Dragon's Lair ring any bells, you knucklehead?

Maybe I'm a bit too young but I've never heard of this game either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:48 AM »
Still need Elite but I finally have everybody else. Results Sunday.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: February 08, 2019, 06:09:59 AM »

Nice pace. So, regarding those creatures that appeared out of nowhere, are we supposed to do something about them?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: February 08, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »

Nice pace. So, regarding those creatures that appeared out of nowhere, are we supposed to do something about them?

Not really. All those write ups at the end are basically for fun. I was gonna try to do something with them earlier but since it takes an age just to send songs it's just something fun to add to the results. Gives me an excuse to have more fun with writing them too :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: February 08, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »
Thouest creatures remindeth thou of my ex Queens.  Off with their heads!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Just throwing out there that Nocturnal Rites is banned for everyone. Unless I'm completely blind they aren't on your banned list Katt.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: February 08, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
Sorry yeah my banned list is full of holes. Just too much music I'm familiar with. NR kicks big ass and was a highlight of last year's ProgPower for me.

One of these submissions is so good it made me listen to the entire album before resuming the roulette, so there's that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:05:11 PM by Kattelox »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1354 on: February 08, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
Sorry yeah my banned list is full of holes. Just too much music I'm familiar with. NR kicks big ass and was a highlight of last year's ProgPower for me.

One of these submissions is so good it made me listen to the entire album before resuming the roulette, so there's that.
You're welcome :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: February 09, 2019, 06:58:19 AM »
Round 7 results Sunday night.

Feeling the power of darkness through his veins, Kattilonius stands on a balcony overlooking the darklands beneath the Castle of Glass Moonlight. With strange, black magic, he conjures grotesque, horrifying beasts, attempting to keep the heroes at bay. One by one, the monsters fall, barely making a scratch on the musically gifted warriors.

However, one poor soul has become still, and has been noticed by the mad Lord of Shadows, disguised as a mere clown. In the wake of demolishing the sentient stone golems that ambushed him, Rich was caught offguard by a poisonous black magic from deep within the golems' hearts. And while his body remains still, his eyes quiver with dread. His companions - TAC, Evrys, King, and Scipline - speak to him, but Rich cannot speak.

Kattilonius moves.

"Rise, mighty dragon!"

The ground quakes, and a massive shadow covers the heroes. A dragon with three heads stares menacingly, then roars with fury. The humans drop their weapons and cover their ears. Rich remains still. The central head opens its mouth as a glow rises from deep within its throat.

Having no time to waste, Evrys casts a shield of water on everyone, enveloping them in large swirling orbs of water. They scatter to the left and right as the dragon unleashes a blast of fire directly ahead. Only one is hit.

Rich's shield begins to crack. The team is too tired to hold up any more magic than the little they could afford the poor Elite. The dragon inhales once more and steps closer. With a mighty screech, all three heads unleash a blast of fire so powerful it rips the earth apart. The flame engulfs Rich and the water instantly steams away. When the blaze stops, not a single trace of him is left.

The rest look on with horror as the three-headed dragon takes to the sky and begin to make a tombstone:

Elite
8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 8.76 = 50.69 [+5 BP]

Sorry Rich. I want to get the last few rounds done in a timely manner and I just can't be fair to your songs if I get them at the very last minute, and I think I gave plenty of notice over time. I know you've got stuff in real life to handle, but you've shown me a bunch of really cool stuff so thanks a bunch for playing. Gonna explore some of your submissions more thoroughly after the game.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »
On one hand, I may be indirectly responsible for this one, you'll see why... on the other hand, hell yes I'm back on the 9th place!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: February 09, 2019, 07:06:40 AM »
 :lol Not enough mana!!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. send for round 7 [first elimination]
« Reply #1358 on: February 09, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
Hot damn!

In full D&D spirit, there is only one thing I really need to ask at this point:

Can I loot Rich's body?

(j/k, Rich. I hope everything's well on your end)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: February 09, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
:rollin

I assume the scorching flame of the dragon's breath melted everything he had into oblivion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: February 09, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
I'll have a thigh then? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: February 10, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
Coincidentally, I'm eating barbeacue for lunch today  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 7 Results, Pt. 1
« Reply #1362 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »
Part 1 of results, hold yer moves til they're all up. A few of you knocked it out of the park this round, so let's get two of you out of the way early...

wolfking

Soilwork - Needles and Kin 7.2
   Those growls... I like some Amorphis, but with very few exceptions, just the songs without growls. The bridge is great. The chorus doesn't do much for me because that nonstop machine gun drumming takes away from the nice vocal part. Not sure if I'd dig into these guys more if they're all like this.

U.D.O. - In The Heat of the Night 8.7
   I've been torn on how I feel about the vocals. Those high-pitched vocals sound like someone gargling while doing falsetto. I kinda like them though. Usually midtempo rock songs bore me but it's saved by those interesting vocals and that huge singalong chorus. Don't know a damn thing about U.D.O. even though I have a friend who's nuts about them, but this is pretty good.

Fifth Angel - Dust to Dust 9.0
   Like a heavier and (imo) better Dio, from the riffs to the vocals to the big chorus. No frills. Heavy metal done right, for my taste. Nuff said. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 51.19 [+4 BP]
Round 7 Score: 24.90 [+1 BP]
Average: 8.30
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE:  59.49 [+5 BP]

The King of Wolves slayed the Harpies before him with ease. The Mountains loomed in the distance - not long now. With his companions The Hanged Man and Nekov wiping the blood from their weapons, he prepared to walk 8 steps closer to the end.

Indiscipline

Riot - Narita 9.0
   I love how heavy this is without losing any sense of melody. And it doesn't even need vocals. I don't like those kinds of overly drawn out endings but that's my only gripe about this track. Doesn't sound like this came out of the 70s, really, so that's a surprise, it has catchy licks and a really nice heavy sound for its time. [+1 BP]

Al Di Meola - Race with Devil on Spanish Highway 9.2
   This is really impressive. Lots of variety in style and techniques but it's super catchy. What genre would this be classified under? Ridiculously good guitar work, yeah, but my ears get drawn to the drums and keys and bass just as often. It's like a smorgasbord of delicious riffs. [+1 BP]

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill 9.6
   As far as I'm aware I've never heard this, except maybe when I was a kid looking up the references and homages in Dream Theater's music, but it sounds new to me. And it's beautiful. I don't know a thing about Peter Gabriel other than The Book of Love is beautiful, but I love this song, too. Makes me feel nice and happy and it's super catchy to boot. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 49.92
Round 7 Score: 27.80 [+3 BP]
Average: 9.26~
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 59.18 [+3 BP]

Scipline of Indy split the treant in twain and thanked Lagavulin that he lived to see another day. 9 spaces he went, closer to the dark Castle of Glass Moonlight.

jingle.boy

Serious Black - I Seek No Other Life 9.6
   Jesus. This one kicked me in the ass as soon as it started. Urban breed has a crazy good voice and everything about this song is infectious. I'm keeping a list of bands to prioritize from this roulette after it's done and Serious Black is officially way up there.

Glass Mind - Crepusculum Vehementis 9.0
   Lots of instrumental prog metal loses the plot in my opinion after a few minutes but this scratches my itch for heavy, fast, melodic, shimmery power-prog metal. I love it. They nailed it here - the shred, complementary harmonies, memorable melodies, strong drums, keeping the momentum throughout the whole song, it's great.

Daydream XI - Circus of the Tattered and Torn 9.2
   Hooo boy. Swing for the fences much? I'm really sad I had to miss their 2017 ProgPower performance after hearing this. Tons of talent on display here. The verses in the first part are probably my favorite part of the song. This is an epic track for sure, I think my only gripe is the spoken stuff toward the end, and then it kinda drags the ending on too long, but it's still a 'wow' kind of song.

Current Score: 50.70 [+5 BP]
Round 7 Score: 27.80
Average: 9.26~
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 59.96 [+5 BP]

Dirk the Daring wailed on the Orc like Ralphie did to Scut Farkus. He then tied the Orc's head to his belt as a token of victory before going 9 spaces towards the evil castle.

?. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 / 8.40 / 8.63 / 9.26 = 59.18 [+3 BP]
???
Move 9

?. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 / 7.80 / 8.50 / 8.30 = 59.49 [+5 BP]
???
Move 8

?. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 / 8.60 / 7.10 / 9.26 = 59.96 [+5 BP]
???
Move 9

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1364 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
man i remember getting that serious black song from ev in a different roulette and giving it a very meh score  :corn