Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 99965 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Send for round 6 by Saturday or be dragon food
« Reply #1295 on: February 05, 2019, 05:49:25 AM »
I don't have confidence in 1 of my 3 songs honestly, the other 2 should do just fine.

Called it. @katt: Did you watch the video as I recommended? You might not like the song but you will have a laugh  :smiley:

I don't remember if I took the decade challenge yet. I will look into that and find stuff to send today

I did! It was entertaining in that mad Korpiklaani way. Although I kind of wish you had sent a third Bloodbound song instead :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. round 6 results coming in hot
« Reply #1296 on: February 05, 2019, 06:47:29 AM »
Although I kind of wish you had sent a third Bloodbound song instead :)

You and me both  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1297 on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
Mike, I think you'd like Umphrey's McGee.  Prog jam band with different style and a guitarist who likes to shred.  A weird but fun combo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: February 05, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »
Sent some Daniel Gildenlow-fronted stuff and other songs too, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
Sent some Daniel Gildenlow-fronted stuff and other songs too, I guess.

Confirmed permanent last place. :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: February 05, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Katt, I just realized you should update your template, you gave us all round 4 scores  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1301 on: February 05, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
sent pain of salvation covering judas priest w/ added growls for good measure

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: February 05, 2019, 09:52:54 AM »
Katt, I just realized you should update your template, you gave us all round 4 scores  :lol

Ah fuck,  I'll check it out after work. Thanks for the heads up.  EDIT wait I'm confused, it looks right to me...

Also as always feel free to ask about banned bands. I know there's a ton of music flying around here but I'm pretty lenient with the bans.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: February 05, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
PART 2

Nekov

Korpiklaani - Wooden Pints 5.0
   So I'm not much into folk metal, but used to many years ago. I own one Korpiklaani album but have never made it through (Korven Kuningas). I even saw these guys live once, but only because Tyr opened for them. I get it, though: this is supposed to be a fun drinking song, and these guys are fun to see live with a lot of booze, so hey, they have their audience. Not really for me though. (Unrelated: at that Korpiklaani show, Jonne dropkicked a full can of PBR into a woman's face a few feet from the stage.)

Bloodbound - Behind the Moon 9.0
   Yeah, this song rocks. I think I've said it before but power metal doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be good. It just has to sound good, and these guys sound great, and sounded every bit as good live last year. Singer has all the qualities I like in a power metal voice and there's none of this half-tempo or overly artsy bullshit a lot of power metal is trying to do these days. Hell it even has a whoa-oh section. Hell yeah brother, rock on. [+1 BP]

Bloodbound - Nosferatu 9.5
   AMAZING. I didn't know anything about Bloodbound before seeing them at ProgPower USA last year and I enjoyed every minute of the set despite only knowing the song Moria. I bet they played this, but I can't remember for sure. The singer has an awesome voice, and I know for certain he's every bit as good live. That chorus is flawless. This rocks so hard. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 44.06 [+5 BP]
Round 4 Score: 23.50 [+2 BP]
Average: 7.83~
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 51.89 [+7 BP]

Your path has led you to the feet of mountains that once overlooked a lush and peaceful world. From out of the jagged rocks that shoot up from the ground along your path jumps a Fiery Manticore. As a wizard, I hope you invested points in water magic, because this pooch is hungry. The Manticore crouches with a snarl...

Stadler

Judas Priest - Run of the Mill 5.2
   Man. Dude. I REALLY wanted to like this, but... I don't. It sounds kind of like, I dunno, Sabbath maybe, when they get into a groove? But the guitar isn't doing anything interesting to me, it's all in that bass line, but it's nothing special. It gets points for the vibe from the bass, but then Rob Halford comes back at the end and ruins it for me. It truly sounds like an impression of a spooky ghost.

MSG - Lost Horizons 9.0
   Pure old school rock. The kind I like. Sounds almost metal, which I bet it was called at the time. Interesting first because of the dark vibes, but the guitar solo that just keeps going and going (and more importantly, rocks), to me it really feels like the guitarist is in his zone 110% in this song and to me that's super fun to listen to. Cranked this one loud.

Montrose - Rock Candy 7.7
   Okay, another rocker, I get the theme you're going for. I really like this, and that hook, "Hot, sweet, and sticky" is catchy. This is kind of like Lost Horizons but not quite as epic, it's more fun and groovy. I've heard of Montrose before but this is the only thing I've heard, and it's good. Hope they have more good stuff like this.

Current Score: 42.89 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 21.90
Average: 7.30
Movement: 7 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 50.19 [+4 BP]

As the crimson sunset breaks a few threads of sickly light upon the land, a figure emerges from the shadows ahead. An armored wight, eyes glowing in a battered helm, lumbers toward you, greatsword gripped by two skeletal hands. You notice your boots are untied, Sir Jethro of Avalon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: February 05, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
Oh shit, eagle eye dude. Will fix  :biggrin:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1305 on: February 05, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
More than I hoped for!

Since I'm facing a focking Treant, I'm moving to the green spot, where I'm gonna smoke the abomination by virtue of three acoustic-nature themed songs.

On a sidenote, a top 10 '80s guitarists chart without Steve Lukather is worth like my promises of keeping regular postage up these days. Vito Bratta should qualify as #53, and he's a freaking good axeman nonetheless.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1306 on: February 05, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
More than I hoped for!

Since I'm facing a focking Treant, I'm moving to the green spot, where I'm gonna smoke the abomination by virtue of three acoustic-nature themed songs.

On a sidenote, a top 10 '80s guitarists chart without Steve Lukather is worth like my promises of keeping regular postage up these days. Vito Bratta should qualify as #53, and he's a freaking good axeman nonetheless.

Good call with Luke.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: February 05, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
I'm going to the red marker and digging deep for some Lord of the Rings shit.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Hold up mofos! That map shows where you are NOW.  You don't get to move again. Sorry I should have clarified that, but there's no sense in waiting for y'all to declare the move when it's straight ahead. Next turn you can choose. You don't HAVE to go straight for the treble clef...  but there will be a third and final map for the last rounds.

Please god let indiscipline see this before sending  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: February 05, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Hold up mofos! That map shows where you are NOW.  You don't get to move again. Sorry I should have clarified that, but there's no sense in waiting for y'all to declare the move when it's straight ahead. Next turn you can choose. You don't HAVE to go straight for the treble clef...  but there will be a third and final map for the last rounds.

That's what I meant.  I'm going to send three songs from the same year, hoping against hope that I make it to the red square so's I can regale you with Lord of the Rings shit.  Sorry if I was unclear.   :) :) :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: February 05, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
Ok so orange is nothing. Free to send anything. Got it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: February 05, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
Feel free to send anything, but if it doesn't fit the theme, you get no bonuses.  :loser:

So, clarification: I do all of this in Notepad. I don't know why, Notepad just feels right. I keep a roulette folder on my desktop, and a subfolder for every round, with documents for hangman, the writeups, and pictures for the maps. There's a method to the madness, and that involves a lot of copy/pasting from one document to another, and in the chaos I often end up missing stuff, like having the latest results say 'round 4 score' instead of round 6. Or the mysterious case of the vanishing hangman letters.  :lol

One more time for the new page, here's everybody's current position, feel free to take challenges when appropriate, or not. The third and final act begins at the treble clef.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: February 05, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »
Wait, I don't see what orange is. It's not on the first page or am I blind?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »

Orange is 3 from the same decade. Basically everyone is on orange (except Jingle/Pup who are white, and Stadler who is yellow, which is 3 from the same year).

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1314 on: February 05, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
(except Jingle/Pup who are white, and Stadler who is yellow
THAT'S RACIST!  :azn:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: February 05, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »

Orange is 3 from the same decade. Basically everyone is on orange (except Jingle/Pup who are white, and Stadler who is yellow, which is 3 from the same year).

Got it. That's easy.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1316 on: February 05, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
(except Jingle/Pup who are white, and Stadler who is yellow
THAT'S RACIST!  :azn:
Wait I did that wrong....

aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1317 on: February 06, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »

God let me see it, and made me send.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: February 06, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
Got half the submissions, yay! So, as a preview for the third and final map, in which our heroes will attempt to reach the Dark Lord's throne and slay him where he makes snarky comments about ya'll's musical taste, check this out. This is where the clef panel will lead. Not going to show the panels/path just yet, but I felt like naming everything with Dream Theater references for giggles. Just trying to keep this thing fun.  :biggrin: Props to Inkarnate for the fun map maker.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. send for round 7!
« Reply #1319 on: February 06, 2019, 06:00:36 PM »
what... no Lines in the Sand?  Trail of Tears?  Glass Prison?  C'mon.... why you use crap songs for some of your references?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: February 06, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
Wow! Well, for one, DT doesn't have a song called Trail of Tears  :lol - and at least we agree that Voices and Scarred are crap songs.  :biggrin:
Dirk the Daring rolls a manners check - 1. Dirk is sent to the Glass Prison within the Castle of Glass Moonlight for his rogue tongue, to be served as dragon food in round 8.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1321 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
See, this is why we can't be friends Katt

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: February 06, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: February 06, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
Wow! Well, for one, DT doesn't have a song called Trail of Tears  :lol - and at least we agree that Voices and Scarred are crap songs.  :biggrin:
Dirk the Daring rolls a manners check - 1. Dirk is sent to the Glass Prison within the Castle of Glass Moonlight for his rogue tongue, to be served as dragon food in round 8.

Dirk is aware he called it the TRAIL.  Clearly Dirk's level 14 Wit still failed on a savage 3d6 result.

Dungeon Master's Perception of the Blatantly Obvious takes a -3 due to his use of Sarcasm.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1324 on: February 06, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Who the hell is Dirk The Daring?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: February 06, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »
Who the hell is Dirk The Daring?

Seriously?  You never visited an arcade in the 80s?  This honestly is possibly your biggest fail ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1326 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:24 PM »
I have literally never heard of Dirk The Daring.

In the early to mid 80's I spent every weekend at a hockey rink and many hours in the game room/snack bar.

During that same time period, I spent many hours at the mall arcade, usually hustling the Chexx hockey table. :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »
Dragon's Lair ring any bells, you knucklehead?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1328 on: February 06, 2019, 08:46:47 PM »
I have never heard of it. Like not ever. How would I have ever heard of it?

I AM NOT A NERD! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: February 07, 2019, 04:23:12 AM »
I have never heard of it. Like not ever. How would I have ever heard of it?

Wow... it's like... one of the all-time classic arcade games, and was considered ground-breaking technology when it was released in '83.

Sometimes I wonder if you are proof there is alien life, and/or time travellers.  I'm afraid to ask if you've heard of Space Invaders, because I think the answer would be "of course, that's how I arrived on Earth".  :lol