Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 96775 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. hangman, hangman, spells whatever words he can
« Reply #1085 on: January 25, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »
*except for Parama, of course  :corn

my scores vs. parama's songs

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. round 5 results in the oven
« Reply #1086 on: January 27, 2019, 10:58:28 AM »
Have part 1 of results... this was an interesting round.

Puppies_On_Acid

1. Hotel of the Laughing Tree - In A River In The Woods 7.4
   Inoffensive and laid back. It's a nice song, but I seem to tune out quickly with this one. I don't think the singer helps. I think I like the back half a bit more, the ending is very pretty. Not much for me to chew on but it's not bad.

Moving Mountains - 8105 7.6
   I like the tone of the guitars and everything they do here. I enjoy the instrumental sections more than the ones with vocals, it's like a mash of post rock and indie rock with all the fixings, but it does already sound pretty familiar to me.

Grails - Deep Snow 8.3
   This is a pretty composition. The guitar plays some lovely melodies, but it doesn't quite rise high enough to earn the bonus point. I do kind of wish it was a bit more concise instead of stretched across 7.5 minutes, kind of like 8105 by Moving Mountains. Lovely mood music though, perfect for sitting down with some coffee on the weekend, which is how I got the most enjoyment out of this piece. I thought this was fitting for the theme, I just wasn't blown away by it. Make no mistake, I enjoyed these songs, I'm just not compelled to listen to more of these artists... yet.

Current Score: 35.20 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 23.30
Average: 7.76~
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.96 [+4 BP]

In the midst of a drunken brawl that has now consumed the tavern, Owl Screech manages to dodge a couple pitchers of ale lobbed through the air as he bolts toward the door, but not before stabbing two pirates in the neck after hearing anti-birdman rhetoric. He calls for his comrades as he heads 8 spaces into the night.

jingle.boy

Frameshift - La Mer 9.0
   James LaBrie in his prime, before his voice began to grate on me. The chorus is gorgeous and was stuck in my head this whole round - normally I don't like when James shouts in softer songs, but like Beneath the Surface from ADTOE, it totally works here as the song builds into a great big wave of emotion. Fits the theme like a glove. [+1 BP]

Mob Rules - Dykemaster's Tale 7.4
   Of the three watery tales here, I wish I could like this one more. It's entertaining, in the sense that it's like a slightly different Iron Maiden, but that's also its weakness. There's nothing I don't like about this song, it just sounds so familiar. The slowed down chorus doesn't always work, but that's just me being so familiar with power metal (does this count as power metal?). I especially like those harmonized guitar parts. I don't know anything about Mob Rules. They sound like Maiden with a little Primal Fear. I think this song could've been shorter, though.

Freedom Call - Ocean 9.4
   Back in the day, I dated a girl who was super into power metal, and her power metal collection kicked my collection's ass. I found this in one of her bins, but never played it. Only FC album I know is Legend of the Shadowking, which was almost too sugary sweet and silly for *my* musical palate, but had a few songs that kicked ass. This song kicks ass too. Those synths in the beginning are beautiful, and the Freedom Call layered vocals don't always work for me but it makes this song sound huge. The chorus makes me happy and the melodic choices made throughout the whole song just make sense to me, like they're the choices I'd make if I was writing this. Reminds me of Power Quest's early material, which I love to death. Fantastic. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 35.00 [+3 BP]
Round 4 Score: 25.80 [+2 BP]
Average: 8.60
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 43.60 [+5 BP]

Not even the happiest tales could keep tempers in check as the increasingly intoxicated ruffians destroyed the room. An axe flies his direction from the other end of the room; with the wave of his hand, he reverses it at the last minute, and it lands in the chest of the drunk imbecile. Alithia bows, jumps out the window, and runs 9 spaces into the darkness.

Evermind

The Gentle Storm - Endless Sea (Gentle Version) 9.4
   God, what a voice. I think I've become an even bigger fan of Anneke's after seeing how good she is live last year - she sounds exactly like she does on record, and in a way, better. I was lukewarm on all three of these songs at first, but slowly they grew on me, mostly because of her voice. Lovely song, I adore the combination of violin, piano, and the light percussion. [+1 BP]

The Gentle Storm - The Moment (Gentle Version) 9.0
   Every time I hear this, I do enjoy the first few minutes, but that instrumental section towards the end puts it over the top for me. Nobody sounds like Arjen, especially his folk style. Don't know why I never listened to this album. Need to buy this one, no question. [+1 BP]

The Gentle Storm - New Horizons (Storm Version) 9.2
   There's just something about Anneke's voice, man. Smart submissions :) I love the chorus, what the brass adds, and the march-like drumming. These songs all fit the theme wonderfully, though I expected something heavier since it's the storm version. These were all GREAT songs. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 32.99 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.6 [+3 BP]
Average: 9.20
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.19 [+7 BP]

Evrys contributed to the rising din in the tavern by shouting his stories over pirates drunkenly fighting each other and his comrades' nonchalant murdering of people of questionable innocence. When the knives began flying, Evrys ran out the door with his fingers still intact, 9 spaces into the night.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:16:21 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. round 5 results in the oven
« Reply #1087 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »
Freedom Call - Ocean 9.4

:omg:

On a scale of 1-20 maybe! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 5 results part 1!
« Reply #1088 on: January 27, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
I've failed!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: January 27, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
Stadler

The Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station 9.8
   So, the first time I was ever actually exposed to The Dead was when I first dropped acid at a music festival run by a kickass Dead tribute band The Schwag. I'm slapping you on the wrist for sending something over 15 minutes, but a few of my original rules went out the window anyway, so whatever. I love how the song tells this little story over the catchy ebb-and-flow riffing, and the vocals (Jerry Garcia I assume?) go with the music so well, then it goes into a adventurous, almost prog instrumental section that fascinates me. And it comes to a close just as marvelous as it starts. Way different from what I was anticipating, in a good way. This might beat Fire On The Mountain as my favorite Dead song, although I don't really know any others. No doubt if I was a young adult when the Dead were about, I'd be a zombie stoned out of my mind at their shows. Still trying to fully understand the lyrics but god damn this is good! Very impressed by The Dead with this one, and I hope they have a lot more stuff like this. [+1 BP]

Jethro Tull - Dun Ringill 9.0
   Not something I'd expect from Jethro Tull at all based on what I know (Songs from the Wood, and the song Aqualung). Definitely sounds like a seaside song, so I looked up the actual Dun Ringill - spot on. Lovely guitar sound and singing on this, sounds folksy but not woodsy like I normally associate with Tull. Short and sweet. [+1 BP]

Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile 9.1
   It's strange how Mick isn't a good singer and yet I don't want to hear anybody else sing Stones songs. I like a fair number of their hits and a couple older songs, but this is new to me. This song reminds me of Wild Horses - slow, emotional, compelling - and apparently they're on the same album. Gorgeous ballad. Three home runs from the 70s, well played. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 33.59 [+1 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.9[+3 BP]
Average: 9.30
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.89 [+4 BP]

Sir Jethro bid Rich the Poor Elite a good night and went to sleep. He awoke before sunrise and wondered whether or not to wait for him or get a move on. He quietly gathered his things and set off 9 spaces down the road whistling a tune.

kingshmegland

Gaillion - Letters from the Skipper 7.7
   I like the lyricism (apparently this was written about 9/11) but I find it hard to enjoy the singer. I like the instrumental parts - the bass and drums are fun to listen to. I like what the song is driving at thematically but the vocals and lack of a strong hook drag it down a bit for me.

Jars of Clay - Flood 8.8
   Sounds like rock for a rainy day. I really like the riffing. I wish there were more of the soft vocals because they're really good at setting the mood with the guitar. It's brief and to the point, nice song with a really chill mood that I dig.

RPWL - The Fisherman 9.8
   I hear so many different bands in this, but it sounds totally original. The singer is like a blend of a few different people I enjoy, in particular I am hearing John Wetton, but I know that's not him. There's so much to unpack here I'm not sure where to begin, but it's one of the best things in the round. The tone of the guitar and the patches used by the keys, the melodic and rhythmic choices, how each instrument complements the others, the production, it's all there. Interesting composition without being completely self-indulgent wankery. Big Pink Floyd and King Crimson vibes, and a big taste of the soft section of Hemispheres in the middle, a little Unitopia in there too especially bookending the song with the chorus. This is a gourmet feast for the ears. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 34.20 [+3 BP]
Round 4 Score: 26.30 [+1 BP]
Average: 8.76~
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.96 [+4 BP]

The King would not tolerate this brutes' buffoonery and hit the road immediately, but not before swiping several pints of ale to go.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:37:57 PM by Kattelox »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 5 results part 2!
« Reply #1090 on: January 27, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1091 on: January 27, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: January 27, 2019, 05:44:15 PM »
Sacul

Kyuss - Gardenia 9.1
   Sounds like dirty, filthy, stoner rock. I know a lot of people who would eat up every second of this. I really like it. It's got this Tom Morello style riffing at one point without being annoying like Tom Morello. Hypnotic riffing, lots of fuzz, groovy bass, extended solo jam, just the right tempo. Singer fits perfectly. Heard about these guys for many years, first time listening, really impressed with this one. [+1 BP]

The Stooges - Down on the Street 9.0
   Sounds like dirty, filthy, old school rock. If the bass and guitar licks didn't give it away, the hooting and hollering halfway through just SCREAMS 1970s rock. Sounds like something I'd want to play on loop if I was tripping - digging this sound. Doesn't reinvent the wheel, doesn't try too hard to be something bigger than what it is. I bet this song has been played at my stoner friends' pads. [+1 BP]

Alter Bridge - Blackbird 9.2
   I've heard this has the greatest guitar solo of all time and I couldn't disagree more, but it is really good, so there's that. At first I didn't like this song. But with each listen I started to dig it more - I have a grudge against alt rock/metal and this sounded just like everything else at first. But then I warmed up to the vocal melody (Myles is incredibly talented but I don't always love him at first listen), and I started appreciating the doomy sound of the riff. Then the chorus started to click, and the song became more fun. Heavy as hell, awesome gym song, this kicks ass, I shouldn't have wrote off Alter Bridge just for being alt metal (... I think?). All three of these were bands I was not expecting even for the fire theme, and they're all nice treats. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 33.77 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.30 [+3 BP]
Average: 9.10
Movement:  9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.87 [+7 BP]

As the Hanged Man sang out his anger and sorrow at the destruction wrought by dragonfire, corpses rose from the ground and stumbled in his direction. The Hanged Man wove curtains of fire from his instrument, melting their rotting skin and turning their bones to ash. He quickly fled 9 spaces down the road.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1093 on: January 27, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »
I thought youd dig the solo in Gailion.  Very Rush like.

Check out that album from RPWL.  I know you'll love it
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: January 27, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
The solo isn't bad! Fits the song well :) I'll definitely try to find that album. Never heard of them til now but wow what an impression to make.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1095 on: January 27, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
Gaillion - Letters from the Skipper

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1096 on: January 27, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1097 on: January 27, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
Nice :2metal:. Yeah I love Blackbird but never would call that solo the best ever or similar :P

Now I can go back to sending you filthy hipster crap.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1098 on: January 27, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
Man, the 9s are loose and flowing. Bummer that Mob Rules song whiffed.

Freedom Call - Ocean 9.4

:omg:

On a scale of 1-20 maybe! :lol

Know thy audience Timmy-Boy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: January 27, 2019, 09:32:32 PM »
Most of the music this roulette has been quite refreshing; there's so much stuff out there that I'm a fan of but never would've known otherwise. Keeping a list of my favorite songs from this and adding them to my regular playlist and it's enough to keep me busy for a very long time. Loving it.

Rest of 'em coming tomorrow, just so Stadler and Evermind see theirs in time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: January 28, 2019, 03:47:58 AM »
   I've heard this has the greatest guitar solo of all time

Fucking what?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: January 28, 2019, 08:45:08 AM »
   I've heard this has the greatest guitar solo of all time

Fucking what?

:lol

It's a great song though.

Also not bad, all three songs above 9, so that probably means I'm still in 9th place. Hopefully bonus points will amount to something!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
Bonus points will matter come the final round, the more you get the better your chance of ending up in the lead. Either way I just hope y'all are enjoying the ride, it's all about fun and discovery in the end

Those at the bottom mostly did very well this round. Indiscipline by shunning the themes is helping the rest of you  :lol The others will be up this evening

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: January 28, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
I'm enjoying it a lot. The bad start is a great excuse to stop worrying and just send whatever I want to. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19:17 AM »
Assuming I'm not brain-farting again, 9 spaces lands me on purple, and I can send from 3 different decades for bonus point eligibility.  Seems doable.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 5 results part 3/4!
« Reply #1105 on: January 28, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
TAC

Storyteller - Curse of the Seven Seas 8.0
   So are these guys just called Storyteller, or are they THE Storyteller? I immediately pegged these guys as power metal (Swedish, specifically, because of the singer) - hah! Just checked, nailed it. If I focus on the guitars I feel bored and uninspired because it's pretty standard stuff, but the chorus is big and grew on me with repeat listens. Might have to check these guys out, I liked this but it's not blowing my socks off. Excellent for the theme, but I didn't like it enough to grant the point.

Lords of the Trident - Brothers of Cain 7.0
   Sorry buddy. I really wanted to like this more than I did in the end. The melodies are nice enough, the riffing is fun if bog standard, and it's just got a fun energy, but I can't get over the odd delivery in the verses. It's like the missing link between Dropkick Murphys and Alestorm, riding on pure fun and silliness, which I applaud. And If I liked the vocalist, I think I would like this song a bit more. But I'm just too conflicted to give it much higher than this, although I so want to give it a point for nailing a pirate's drinking song so well without resorting to keytars and an annoying Scotsman taking the piss out of the power metal genre and flipping it the bird.

Heart of Cygnus - Lost At Sea 9.0
   I think it was Evermind who predicted I'd like this one. Yeah, this is pretty good! Boy does it pick up, the solos are great and stay interesting with that chord progression and drum fills at the end. Not sure what the term is for the effect on the guitar after the solos, but I've always loved it, sounds like I'm underwater. No idea when this group came around but it sounds like Evership to me, in that it sounds decades older than it probably is. In a good way. They're going on the list. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 34.23 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 24.00 [+1 BP]
Average: 8.00
Movement:  8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.23 [+5 BP]

TAC from TACsylvania was unaware of the brawl indoors. Intoxicated and serenading a curiously tall shrub, Alithia calls for him to make haste, and so does TAC from TACsylvania, racing 8 spaces down the road beside his ally.

Nekov

Úlfur Eldjárn - Kosovo 8.4
   Dreamy, ominous, tense, suspenseful, cinematic. Several times the rising synth line reminds me heavily of Stranger Things. This is good mood music. It's powerful but carefully measured in its energy. Kind of sounds like a really dark cousin of RAM-era Daft Punk? I don't have much else to compare it to. I like this a lot, but not quite enough to hit the bonus line.

Enemies - For Karla 9.2
   I don't know enough music that's simultaneously super fun and super chill. Perhaps 'playful' is the word I'm looking for. It's like... winter beach party music is the best way I can describe this track. Lovely sound on the guitar, interesting effects on vocals, this is really strange but cool. It sounds like how the album cover looks - bright, inviting, and fun. [+1 BP]

Enemies - Play Fire 9.0
   Ah, yup. Same album, same vibe - fun, chill, playful. Really great guitar sound, it's so smooth and sweet, it almost sounds synthetic. I don't know who to compare this group to but it sounds so happy I immediately loved this. This album is definitely going on my list to get. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 35.20 [+3 BP]
Round 4 Score: 26.60 [+2 BP]
Average: 8.86~
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 44.06 [+5 BP]

Nekov the Annoying Wizard from the South did not stay at the tavern long, for the people showed little interest in his songs - but he knew and understood their power. The night was young yet, but he had to move. He was not sure where his companions had gone, but was certainly not going to dawdle and wait. 9 spaces west he went.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1106 on: January 28, 2019, 04:11:56 PM »
Who's shunning the themes? My theme was clearly "three motherfocking awesome songs on the fly".  ;D

Seriously, I apologise for the map ambiguity, but although I can see the nifty coloured spots I'm supposed to land on, I can't fathom where my starting point is!

Being a bad influence uncle for the SIXTH time is taxing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1107 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
Bro still banging?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:33 PM »
Who's shunning the themes? My theme was clearly "three motherfocking awesome songs on the fly".  ;D

Seriously, I apologise for the map ambiguity, but although I can see the nifty coloured spots I'm supposed to land on, I can't fathom where my starting point is!

Being a bad influence uncle for the SIXTH time is taxing.

Hey! Long time no see :biggrin: You're currently on the yellow spot on the right side of this map, past the blue space. From there you can move 9 spaces, so you're either on the red or blue panel depending on which direction you go. And from that point (whichever it is), you'll move after your results are posted... shortly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1109 on: January 28, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
Seems I can only move 8 spaces to a white space.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: January 28, 2019, 06:23:56 PM »
Yup. You're free of a theme this round...

I forgot to add the fantasy writeups but fuck it my head hurts  :lol

Indiscipline

Johnny Cunningham - Star Lullaby 9.0
   A gorgeous song, this one. Beautiful vocals, but what really makes this work for me is the harp, which is an instrument I love but very rarely hear enough of. Lovely, lovely track.

Chingon - Malagueña Salerosa 9.2
   When the hell does this play in the Kill Bill soundtrack? I should already know this song since I've seen those movies so much. I can count on you for some stuff that's really different. This is the kind of song I'd hear on Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul and Shazam! on my phone so I can add it to my playlist on Spotify. Not one fucking clue what he's singing about but I assume it's a tale about some character of legend or folklore. Such a cool tune, not sure what genre this is, but I like it a whole bunch.

Norbert Leo Butz - Moving Too Fast 7.0
   The only musical songs I really like are from Disney films... or the film version of Grease. But I think the only stage musical song I like is Defying Gravity from Wicked. This song has some nice piano work and a very gifted singer, but I really dislike that style of vocal delivery, that kind of musical exposition grates on me.

Current Score: 32.89
Round 4 Score: 25.20
Average: 8.40
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 41.29

Elite

Adagio - Fire Forever 9.3
   Gus Monsanto, where have I heard that name... OH! I remember this guy from Timo Tolkki's Revolution Renaissance. Had no freaking clue he sang for Adagio (he sounds great here). This sounds nothing like the Adagio I've heard, it's more straightforward heavy metal. And it's really good! Love the keyboards adding a thin layer of synth goodness to the mix, and the chorus is strong and catchy. Far less convoluted than the more symphonic stuff I've heard and much easier to digest. [+1 BP]

Across the Delta - The Loop 8.8
   This song makes me feel uneasy. It's really creepy at times, and the guitars and drums create an unsettling atmosphere. The second half is where it gets more interesting. I like the long snare roll under the eerie vocals. The guitar solo is great and the last section is very good but I wonder if the last few seconds are meant to lead into another song, because it really caught me off guard the first time.

Green Carnation - Pile of Doubt 9.5
   Whoooa. This rocks. The simple melody over the crisp and clear fast picking is a great motif and they always segue back into it fluidly. It's got great momentum and I love the bell ending. Not much to say about the singer or the lyrics, but he/they work well with the music and it's a real fun metal track, heavy as hell without being so blunt about it, and the super catchy melody/riff in the main theme gets props for being so simple yet effective. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 32.73 [+3 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.6[+2 BP]
Average: 9.20
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 41.93 [+5 BP]

wolfking

Virgin Steele - The Burning of Rome 7.7
   Sounds like 80s heavy metal. Nothing bad here but it all feels pretty standard Maiden-metal. There's not a lot to chew on here, but there's nothing I dislike either. The solos and harmonized guitars are pretty cool. The only reference point I have for David DeFeis is his brief appearances on Avantasia's Metal Opera. I actually think he sounds heavier and stronger there than on this song, but he still sounds good here.

Virgin Steele - Through Blood and Fire 7.5
   Strange dichotomy to this song. They're Virgin Steele for the verses and Freedom Call for the chorus. The voice doesn't even sound like DeFeis in the hook! But it's the strongest part of the song. I know it sounds laughable coming from a Rhapsody fan, but Virgin Steele sounds super corny. This sounds like it's from the very early 80s, at least judging by the sound of the synths. Am I right?

Black Majesty - Firestorm 8.2
   I struggle to think of an identity that Black Majesty has. They're simultaneously not unique at all yet better than a lot of other bands in the genre. If we compare this with Far Beyond (sent a couple rounds ago), I think this is the better song because the verses and chorus are much stronger, even if the solo isn't as epic. Not a bad song, but if it's ice cream, it's vanilla. I like vanilla, too. But it's not adventurous. Okay, maybe adventurous like French vanilla. But still vanilla.

Current Score: 34.89 [+4 BP]
Round 4 Score: 23.40
Average: 7.80~
Movement:  8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 42.69 [+4 BP]

Parama the Owl-Roamer

Sacrificed Alliance - Verdancy 8.5
   I said no growls! This is... actually really good. I wish the vocalist would shut the fuck up and let the rest of the band play because all the music going on underneath is entrancing, it's heavy but shimmering with pretty synths and clean guitars amongst all the distortion. On repeat listens the vocalist really isn't that bad and works with the song, but still every part without him is made better by his absence. Eat a lozenge.

Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not 8.2
   Other than the beast angrily belching into my ears, this is an epic song with some spellbinding violin-metal. I know I've actually heard this album before but they're one of those bands I need to play the album for a week straight and nothing else before I understand any of their songs, so this was like a refresher on NeO. Good stuff. Eat a damn lozenge.

Wilderun - The Means To Preserve 9.0
   I know I've heard this album at one point, too, but I think I checked out before finishing it. Either way this sounds all new to me. It's adventurous as heck. The production is huge. I like it, especially when it kicks into majestic symphonic black metal blastbeat overdrive. Those parts sound like Arcturus especially with the vocal style and brass soaring over everything else. This song is all over the map though, it's like 5 different styles in one and it goes from quiet to loud to quiet to loud then louder... it's everywhere. Wild ride, difficult listen, but I suppose that's the point. I dig the last minute or two more with each listen. This is really creative.

Current Score: n/a
Round 4 Score: 25.7
Average: 8.56
Movement: ???
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 8.56

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: January 28, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
AND THAT'S ROUND 5!! The goods just keep flowing, I'm drowning in great music. But we're halfway there. Plenty of time for everyone's position to change. For fun I made note of how everyone's positions shifted from round 5 into round 6.

INDISCIPLINE! Look at the map below. The I represents the two spaces you could be at since you didn't choose last time. Pick one, then move another 8 spaces from there, please  :) Now it's your turn again... rev your engines for round 6!

12. Parama the Owl-Roamer: 8.56 = 8.56

11. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 / 8.40 = 41.29
Down 1
Move 8

10. Elite:   8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 / 9.20 = 41.93 [+5 BP]
Up 1
Move 9

9. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 / 9.20 = 42.19 [+7 BP]
same
Move 9

8. TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 / 9.20 / 9.00 / 8.00 = 42.23 [+5 BP]
Down 3
Move 8

7. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 / 7.80 = 42.69 [+4 BP]
Down 3
Move 8

6. Sacul:   7.50 / 8.40 / 8.60 / 9.27 / 9.10 = 42.87 [+7 BP]
Up 1
Move 9

5. Stadler:   8.67 / 8.33 / 8.76 / 7.83 / 9.30 = 42.89 [+4 BP]
Up 3
Move 9

4. Puppies_On_Acid:   8.73 / 8.37 / 9.43 / 8.67 / 7.76 = 42.96 [+4 BP]
Down 3
Move 8

4. kingshmegland:   8.37 / 8.03 / 8.80 / 9.00 / 8.76 = 42.96 [+4 BP]
Up 2
Move 9

2. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 / 8.60 = 43.60 [+5 BP]
Up 1
Move 9

1. Nekov:   8.53 / 8.27 / 8.90 / 9.50 / 8.86 = 44.06 [+5 BP]
same
Move 9

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 5 full results / send for round 6!
« Reply #1112 on: January 28, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
i scored higher in one vaguely-serious round of this roulette than i ever did in your first roulette  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: January 28, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
Nice! Will send something tomorrow. Not sure I will go with the theme but we'll see
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1114 on: January 28, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
Sent. Lost some ground last round.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: January 28, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »
i scored higher in one vaguely-serious round of this roulette than i ever did in your first roulette  :lol

Oh dude you're right! Well who knows, maybe the rest of the albums for those bands aren't good. :neverusethis:

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1116 on: January 28, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
Jeez, not only did I lose first place, but I'm all of a sudden in 4th.... :(

You are getting nothing but growls from here on out  :biggrin:

Or super sad songs.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1117 on: January 28, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
You should send sad songs with growls!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: January 28, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
Jeez, not only did I lose first place, but I'm all of a sudden in 4th.... :(

You are getting nothing but growls from here on out  :biggrin:

Or super sad songs.....

Technically tied for fourth, so do better next round, competition is stiff, between metal, rock, game music, and electronic stuff, there's a lot of love still to be tapped. Giggity.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
Shouldn't King and Puppies be technically tied for third?

Roulette hosting is apparent not for the mathematically challenged.  :rollin