Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 95568 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 2 hangman!
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: November 12, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
The Wizard from the South wakes up after a couple of days. He had been warned that the weed from the north was more potent than the one he was used to yet he refused to acknowledge those warnings. His overconfidence has once again betrayed him. His luck however seems to have remained with him as none of his possessions have gone missing. No monsters and no pesky companions have bothered to come near him while he was out. The stench of piss might have something to do with that. Nekov gets up and goes to the nearest stream to wash himself and his clothes, and get his head clear enough to face the hooded figure once again.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #422 on: November 12, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
Adopted a new and easier method for determining scores; doing so now. If I don't get results posted tonight you'll have them tomorrow evening guaranteed
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 2 results incoming...
« Reply #423 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
 :corn
CORN
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: November 13, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
If you got bonus points (BP), they aren't added to your final score until the final round. They'll be tallied separately for now. I've added a single map image in the final results post, so check that and tell me where you'd like to move.

Making note of the bards and their curious music, Kattilonious the Jester slithered off in the dark of night to alert his master of their diverging paths. As the musicians walked on through verdant fields and dusty roads, they found more opportunities to share their music...

#11. Indiscipline

Scipline the Indy of Lagavulin saw what his companions had been working on and decided to try his hand at the friendly competition. He also got piss drunk on wine and cracked wise about everyone's mothers.

Uriah Heep - Choices 6.7
Okay, hear me out, it's not bad at all, it's not offensive whatsoever, it's just one of those songs that doesn't resonate with me in any way. I'm left cold by the end of this, which is a strange disappointment because The Wizard is one of my favorite classic rock songs ever and I wanted to really like this, too.

John Miles - Music 7.0
Well, the first 4 minutes kind of... drag. And that's truly what hurts the score here. The last two minutes however start off jaunty and fun, and quickly swell into something sincere and heartfelt and I love it. I wish I could just chop it off at that point and play those 2 minutes on loop. A touch reminiscent of the glory in 'Anthem' from round 1, but it's only a hill next to a mountain.

Scorpions - Holiday 7.7
If it wasn't for how he says 'day' in 'holiday' I would not have known that was Klaus Meine. He sounds great. It's an interesting dip into Scorpion-infested waters, this one - the softness is not offputting but I was expecting something heavier and more fun like their hits, actually. The best way to sum this up is that it has me intrigued in this band because I finally know a song that hasn't been played to death on FM radio. Nothing groundbreaking... but I'll take this over The Zoo any fucking day without question.

Overall: 21.4
Average: 7.13
Movement: 7 spaces
TOTAL SCORE: 7.13

Scipline's jokes caused everyone else to leave him alone, and after enjoying some quality alone time, he realized it probably not for the best that he stay there by himself. You may move 7 spaces. Where do you go?

#10. Evermind

Evrys the Talespinner wiped the sweat from his brow - the flames of that evening's fire were raging unusually strong this night. He wondered if some music would bring some relief, instead of simply moving back a few feet.

Phantasma - Enter Dreamscape 7.4
Good stuff, but it dances close to the edge with a lot of predictable songwriting elements I'm afraid I've heard many times before and so it loses its magic rather fast. Not bad, just perfectly average. And sometimes that's okay - it's just not enough to net you any bonus points for this round, unfortunately.

Orden Ogan - Ravenhead 7.7
This is such a fun song, and I swear I would give this a solid 9.0 if it weren't for three things: the production, namely with the vocal mix (they're buried under an avalanche of layers for everything else going on), the singer, who lacks the power I feel this song demands, even in the chorus, and 40 seconds of filler at the end. I know this band has soared in popularity, and I love the chorus to this song, but I wonder if there's a song where the singer really lets loose. There's some great riffing and fun metal here but in this genre you need the vocals to stand out and they're being stifled here.

Teramaze - An Ordinary Dream (Enla Momento) 6.6
Unfortunately this is a big gamble that did not pay off. It's a very long song, and I wish it was half the length if I'm telling the truth. Most of what's here I feel is already in my collection, scattered across several artists. When it's fun, it's fun, mainly when there are solos and a lot of musical activity, but the chorus has such a grating melody that I find it hard to objectively appreciate it. There's a grinding halt in the middle, and another that makes the last two minutes kind of an unnecessary tag - the part from 10:00-10:30 is so good and it's just cut off like nothing! It's a quality metal epic in some ways, but I'm not feeling anything from this which sucks because it sounds like I should be resonating with the softer moments. I feel like with a good bit of trimming and a better chorus I would enjoy this much more.

Overall: 21.7
Average: 7.23~
Movement: 7 spaces
TOTAL SCORE: 7.23

Evrys fell asleep immediately after spilling his heart out for over 20 straight minutes, and awoke in a daze the next morning. He traveled onward. You may move 7 spaces. Where do you go?

#9. Elite

The Whore of Roulettes himself carefully balanced a dented goblet on the rocky road and drunkenly sang into the night, not caring who was or was not paying attention.

Kaddisfly - via rail (Janvier) 7.4
What an utterly strange song. Charming, in a way. The vocals are reminiscent of a few bands but I can't quite pinpoint which ones because I might be completely off base - hints of Thank You Scientist for one, I reckon. There's an odd energy in this track that really comes out when the vocals do that... thing... they do in the back half of the track, they kinda go off the rails and drag the song a bit too much for my liking. I've read about this band a lot on DTF, though... maybe I should check out another song.

Muse - Stockholm Syndrome 8.0
The fuzz! So much fuzz! Did this song come out before they got huge or were they already big? The production makes me wonder, because I can't say it's great, but the songwriting tells me they must have been doing this for a while because it's polished and executed well. The vocals were initially grating (so much falsetto) but I warmed up to them on repeated listens, and now they're strangely satisfying to hear. The synths in the chorus are an utter delight and I want to hear them isolated because everything about them is a joy to my ears, I just really wish the guitars weren't so fuzzy and the production was better. Knights of Cydonia it ain't, but it's a damn nice song. I need to hear more Muse, clearly.

Firewind - Into the Fire 8.3
You know, I think I've actually heard this - yup, The Premonition, I checked it out when it was released. While this isn't a bad song, I know I've heard better from Firewind. Is that Apollo on vocals? He sounds superb. I do prefer Chitral Somapala, his vocals on Forged By Fire are phenomenal metal vox, but Apollo is holding his own so well on this song it's a wonder he wasn't the lead singer from the very beginning. This one got a little bit better with each listen. Not sure if I'll hear the full album anytime soon, but I know I enjoyed this a lot more than I did 10 years ago.

Overall: 23.7
Average: 7.90
Movement: 8 spaces
TOTAL SCORE: 7.90

Intoxicated from cheap mead and exhilarating sounds, the Whore of Roulettes ran down the road, laughing hysterically. He would be found sprawled out in a bush the next morning, but not before putting a fair distance on his boots. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#8. kingshmegland

The King of the Smeglands, a level 20 Throne Potato, giggled with drunken delight at the prospect of showing off his musical prowess to his fellow journeymen. The King of Bards(?) launched into a suite of brand new material...

This Day & Age - More Of A Climb, Less Of A Walk 8.5
I could be totally off my rocker here, but the rhythm section in this piece is not unlike what I'd hear in a relatively recent Kings of Leon song. The chorus melody really sticks out to me as something special, and of all the songs this round I think the lyrics to this one are my favorite. Not sure what kind of genre you'd classify this as but whatever it is, this is really good and an unexpected surprise.

A.C.T. - A Truly Gifted Man 8.9
One of the only songs to immediately make me pay attention, unabashed in its bouncy nature and uplifting vibes. Catchy and fun and a GREAT synth line I can't get enough of, this is a winner here. I was expecting 80s AOR from the name of the band, but this was something else entirely. So poppy... so totally up my alley. Great song all around, the last couple minutes elevate this song to another level, I never want that section to end. That's how you make a good fun keyboard part.

Echolyn - Past Gravity 6.7
Inoffensively average, I'm sorry to report - it does not stand out to me in any big way, but it is enjoyable enough to keep me from checking the time courtesy of the guitar parts. I think a song with a bit more 'oomph' and instrumental complexity would make me drool, though - I did some reading on this band and although this song doesn't do much of anything for me, there's gotta be something in that decently sized catalog I can sink my teeth into. I am making an explicit exception for this band by allowing another song to be sent if you choose to do so.

Overall: 24.1
Average: 8.03
TOTAL SCORE: 8.03

Proud of his new material, but perhaps wanting to do reach new heights, the Throne Potato grabbed his things and set a course to resume his adventure. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#7. Nekov

Nekov, the annoying Wizard from the South, felt a twinge of regret at going ahead of his companions, primarily because a band of cutthroats had held him against a tree demanding entertainment or his life. Apparently currency is not in demand in this world. Whoops.

Leech - The Man With The Hammer 7.6
Follows all the beats of haunting and dreary post-rock with a heavy finish to boot, it just takes a long time to get there. That's not often a complaint I have with post-rock, but after a few minutes it's kind of like, shit or get off the pot, to be blunt. Trim a couple minutes and you've got a song I love. All that said this is a damn good post rock song, and perhaps if I was in the mood - maybe give me some left hand cigarettes and a heavy beer - I'd be jamming this for both me and the neighbors.

Pure Reason Revolution - Bullits Dominae 8.5
Chill, but builds the energy at a steady clip - mucho goodo. The vocal cadences and texture do something to me, I really enjoy this and I wonder why this is the first I've heard of this group. They have an interesting sound that's my cup of tea.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows 8.7
This is awesome. Reminds me a little of Steven Wilson the way the vocal melody kinda dances up and down and plays well with the rhythm section, and the synths fill in the spaces nicely. The chill parts don't ruin the flow, and I like the female vocals that come in later. These songs of yours have a tendency, I've noticed, to pick up and end on a heavier note than they began, which seems to work well for the songs you've sent. Good stuff.

Overall: 24.8
Average: 8.27
TOTAL SCORE: 8.27

The cutthroats sheathed their dull and rusty knives, realizing the error of their ways. How could they rob, or even kill, such an artist? "What's art?" one of them asked. The annoying Wizard from the South did verily haul ass to fairer destinations. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#6. Stadler

Jethro of Avalon had bid his fellow bards goodbye long ago, and excitement rushed through his veins as he followed the signs into the heart of the midlands. With the sun high in the sky, he began to sing to himself - and to any fortunate passersby who might hear his melody.

The Cult - Edie (Ciao Baby) 8.9
Is this considered a classic band in the rock world? I've never listened to them until now, but wow am I digging this. That chorus solidifies it for me, it's just a really good song. Straightforward, no frills ballad turned rock with a strong solo to cap it off. Come teach my little brother what real rock is, please.

Enuff Z'Nuff - Fly High Michelle 7.2
This song glistens with the grease of 80s cheese for sure, but I'm not feeling this one too much because it's a bit slow. The other songs have this nice brisk tempo to them. This is just slow enough to avoid being a power ballad but not fast enough to really get me into it. The chorus is stuck on my brain, but I almost wish it wasn't, just because the rest of the song doesn't grip me the same way.

Concrete Blonde - Caroline 8.9
Smooth, simple, and catchy. There's a poppiness to this that really works in its favor. I like it even more because the singer reminds me of Florence Welch, the tone of her voice and how she phrases melodies always makes me think of Florence + The Machine. It's got a veil of 80s production over it but in a good way, not the bad, Mick Jagger-David Bowie Dancing In The Streets kind of way.

Overall: 25.0
Average: 8.33~
TOTAL SCORE: 8.33

Jethro of Avalon wiped a tear from his eye, memories of his youth flooding back as he finished singing songs from his glory days. The road was long yet, and he had many more songs to sing. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:09:23 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
#5. Puppies_On_Acid

Owl Screech flew south for the winter, and it's not even winter. He knew something must be waiting in the woodlands - Elves would not be far away. Singing would not only pass the time but fill him with strength to continue...

Frank Zappa - Peaches en Regalia 7.6
Tell me, is this representative of Frank Zappa's style? I have absolutely no idea where to start listening to him, but I know his catalog is vast. For this reason I'll explicitly allow another submission from Frank Zappa because I know this isn't even scratching the surface of his catalog. As for this piece, I dig it. Funky horns and woodwinds and guitar playing all thrown together into some weird amalgam of 70s strangeness. The doubling of the flutes and clean guitar reminds me of one of my favorite music soundtracks (for a game called Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the Nintendo 64), so that's a big plus in its favor. I want to drink wine and talk about the events of the day over this bizarre little instrumental, I just wish it was more memorable.

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself 8.2
I do enjoy this more than the other Heep song sent this round, however, it suffers big time from the 90 second finish after the mark where I initially expected the song to end. For a 5 minute song that's a lot of unnecessary material tagged on, and it's a kind of ending I don't really like to sit through, with the band just going on and on and getting faster as they near the finish. The big thing here is the chorus, not so much the verses, and it's stuck in my head as I write this.

King Crimson - Starless 9.3
I know I have heard Red before, but honestly I don't remember it at all. This, in a word, is extraordinary. Wow. I'm not sure I need to say anything else. I love the mastery of musical composition and performance on display in this song. The tension is so thick and they hold it up for such long periods before blowing the whole thing up and taking it in another direction... all transitioning seamlessly. There's beauty here, but also a sickly, uneasy feeling, like a monster lurking in the darkness. And the cherry on this sundae is John Wetton, one of my favorite musicians. I don't know much about King Crimson and unfortunately none of their albums are available on Spotify, but this, my friend, is fucking phenomenal.

Overall: 25.1
Average: 8.37~
TOTAL SCORE: 8.37

A surge of delight rushed through Owl Screech, and screech he did down the woodland roads, until he came to a crossing. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#4. Sacul

The Hanged Man, joined by his companions Scipline the Indy, Rich the Poor Elite (Whore of Roulettes), and wolfking, King of Wolves was tuning his lute by the evening fire when a band of weary travelers offered to pay for music. Unable to refuse, he sang at once.

Susanne Sundfor - Undercover 7.7
Lovely simple little tune. Gorgeous singing, this woman has a voice that could melt the iciest of hearts, and it's got this strong mood that feels like it comes straight from the heart. I feel like this is what the Beth Gibbons songs were going for, but it's done a fair bit better. It doesn't knock my socks off, but the last minute is exactly what I'd call 'pretty' music and her voice really carries the whole song for me.

Nine Inch Nails - This Isn't The Place 8.5
Wow. The only Nine Inch Nails I know is The Downward Spiral and this sure is a far cry from songs like Head Like A Hole. One thing that I thought of with this song is that musicians pay attention to every little thing in their songs, and the odd electronic blips and beeps tell me Trent Reznor was going for something very specific here and I dig it a whole lot. Not at all what I expected from this group, or perhaps solo artist is more accurate these days. Very interesting song, is this what NIN pretty much sounds like these days?

David Bowie - Lazarus 9.0 (+1 bonus point for challenge)
I actually have this album and I'm now ashamed I didn't give it the listens it deserves because I only remember the title track which is an extraordinary work of art, both the song and video. This is fantastic and leagues better than Bowie's early works, which I'm not fond of from what I've heard. It's dark, it's serene, it's carefully constructed and performed with just the right amount of passion to set the mood. It's good enough to net you a bonus point for this round, having sent 3 from the 2010s decade, and this is definitely the best of this batch.

Overall: 25.2
Average: 8.40 (+1 BP for Lazarus)
TOTAL SCORE: 8.40
BP: 1

Most impressed, the travelers rewarded the Hanged Man with drink. Sacul, now full of himself, bid his friends farewell and tipsily stumbles down the road, reinvigorated for the journey. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#3. wolfking

When the time came for the King of Wolves to sing, all waited with bated breath to learn what unknown songs would be sung that night.

Lord - New Horizons 8.9
At first I didn't like this because it sounded like yet another band doing yet another Mama I'm Coming Home or Wasted Years-style song about being on the road, but with a memorable chorus, cool guitar parts, and small things like the staggered snare in the chorus helped this one grow on me.

Lizzy Borden - Hell Is For Heroes 8.4
Sounds like someone put early Queensryche and bits of Helloween in a blender. That's definitely the vibe I get when listening to the vocals and lyrics, at least. Catchy, almost poppy chorus (not a bad thing at all, I love poppy choruses to death) which is my favorite part of this song. I've definitely heard of Lizzy Borden before - if they're like this all the time I gotta hop on board 'cause this is fun heavy metal goodness.

Vanishing Point - When Truth Lies 8.0
Y'know, sometimes power metal (prog-power? so many of these songs are straddling the lines) doesn't need to go above and beyond to be a good song, it doesn't need a gimmick or go too over-the-top, and this is one of those songs. Although it doesn't really rise to any impeccable heights, I really enjoyed the sound of the synths here and the vocalist was noteworthy too. This song sounds like a band capable of doing much more, so my interest is piqued.

Overall: 25.3
Average: 8.43~
TOTAL SCORE: 8.43

The King of Wolves bowed. Tired of travelers pestering him for cheap entertainment, he grabbed his things and began to move. You may move 8 spaces. Where do you go?

#2. TAC

TAC from TACsylvania woke up to the sound of pouring rain. The wind whispered and he thought of a curvaceous tavern wench, his most favorite indulgence. Alas, all he found was another weary traveler, who begged him to play a song or three. Realizing he had been left in the night by his companions, he shrugged and started to play...

Arida Vortex - The Veldt 9.2
Yeah, now we're talking. Fantastic stuff, this is what I like in my power metal, you've nailed it right here. Those verse vocal melodies? *kisses fingers* Mwah! Perfect. The chorus? Perfect. The riffing, soloing... everything else, really, it's all right on the money. Sometimes a power metal song just hits all the marks and this is one of 'em. Never ever heard of this group before but now I gotta look them up. This was also my first real favorite of the round.

Oceans of Time - Walls of Silence 9.0
Shit, this is good. Really good. Interesting songwriting - some staggered riffs and strange rhythms right off the bat which I like, because it makes me pay attention every time, but it's not confusing. There is some remarkable vocal work here, the texture and tone of his voice and the harmonies are my cup of tea. Good riffs, and an even better chorus, not sure if this is prog metal or prog-power or what but like Lloyd Christmas said, I like it a lot.

Viathyn - Edward Mordrake 7.5
D'oh. A bit bog standard all around, but it remains fun and interesting sometimes. One thing I really like about this is the line, "Oh, I may die… but I still hear the voices inside" - the melodic cadence compels me to listen to that section over and over, I don't get it, but it's nice. I'm not sure it quite lives up to the quality of your other two submissions, and I do think it overstays its welcome by a minute or so, but it's not bad at all and I still enjoyed it.

Overall: 25.7
Average: 8.57~
Movement: 9 spaces
TOTAL SCORE: 8.57

Taking a bow, TAC saw coins thrown at his feet from the excited travelers. Waiting until they had gone on their way, he eagerly scooped up his prize before the rain covered it up in mud, and onward he walked, a pocket full of silver. You may move 9 spaces. Where do you go?

#1. jingle.boy

Alithia the Righteous, a level 15 Paladin sworn to kick everyone's ass (but take no names) looked pensively into his companions' eyes, wondering if he would be with them much longer. Overcome with a desire to sing, he stood up and played, but not before belching the evening's meat and mead onto himself. Gross.

Lords of Black - Ghost of You 7.4
I love this guy's voice. It's got power, range, and emotion, three things I want in a good metal singer. The first two minutes are solid, I dig just the sound of the guitar here. The solos are fun if nothing new, but the reason the score for this seems low is because it's just way too long - I don't hear enough interesting material to justify the runtime. Other than that, this is good stuff and I'm sad I didn't get to see them at ProgPower the year I should have gone.

Cloudscape - Thunders of Extreme 8.8
Yo, what the hell? Where did this album come from? I followed Cloudscape back in the day but they completely fell off my radar after the third album. I didn't even know they released their last 2 albums. I lost track after no sign of a new album 3 years after Global Drama came out. This is fucking killer though. It's a banger with a huge chorus I can't get enough of, it's strangely energetic for Cloudscape given their older records. Unfortunately Mike's vocals are buried way deep in the mix and for some reason he sounds much different than he used to - his unique raspy delivery was one reason I fell in love with the band. Killer song, my dude.

Nightmare - Serpentine 9.5 (+1 bonus point for challenge)
Holy SHIT! Metal up EVERYONE'S ass! This fucking rules, flat out. I cranked this shit up every single time I was on the road for the last week. Not a hair out of place, this is (almost) as good as heavy metal gets. Shout out to the perfect, seamless transition into the chorus and the amazing chorus itself. "It's just a one way ride, and you're out of time!" Take your 9.5 and a bonus point for making me love one of these three songs from 2016 so much.

Overall: 25.7
Average: 8.57 (+1 BP for Serpentine)
Movement: 9 spaces
TOTAL SCORE: 8.57
BP: 1

Attempting to clean himself up, Alithia patted himself on the back, realizing that his own talent might be enough to carry himself without the burden of others... You may move 9 spaces. Where do you go?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:01:45 PM by Kattelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
The Score So Far...

The bards traveled on, some falling behind, some pushing further onward, but all beginning to choose different paths to go down at their own pace...

Evermind: 7.63 / 7.23 = 14.86
Indiscipline: 8.06 / 7.13 = 15.19
Sacul: 7.50 / 8.40 = 15.90 [+1 BP]
TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 = 16.03
Elite: 8.17 / 7.90 = 16.07
kingshmegland: 8.37 / 8.03 = 16.40
Nekov: 8.53 / 8.27 = 16.80
wolfking: 8.40 / 8.43 = 16.83
Stadler: 8.67 / 8.33 = 17.00
jingle.boy: 8.47 / 8.57 = 17.04 [+1 BP]
Puppies_On_Acid: 8.73 / 8.37 = 17.10

CLICK HERE FOR SLIGHTLY LARGER MAP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 2 RESULTS!!
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
Well that was better than the first round! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
 :biggrin:

I spent 4 hours writing those results and formatting them. I'm gonna go get drunk and sit in the hot tub for a while  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: November 13, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
Middle of the road so far. Well it's time to roll up the sleeves.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 13, 2018, 05:58:20 PM »
Solid enough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #431 on: November 13, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
To be honest, I expected the scores for Serpentine and Ghost of You to be the other way around.  No matter

Ruslan... that was a far harsher fate than those songs deserved.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
I have no doubt Ev will blow me away in the coming rounds. There are quite a few left after all  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
I have no doubt Ev will blow me away in the coming rounds.

I do.   :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
Huh kinda expected a bit more from Undercover but that's fair. I think you'll enjoy the album quite a bit, it's very smooth and soft, with very ambient pieces. One of my favorites from last year.

NIN has always had plenty of these ambient-ish songs, and this is probably one of the best. They still combine plenty of agressive songs with more experimental/weird stuff, so I'd approach that EP with caution. I think you could dig their 2013 album Hesitation Marks since it's pretty synthpop and funky and rarely agressive.

Hell yeah for Lazarus :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Jeeze NIN have a lot of albums. The last I heard of was something called... Without Teeth? Was that it? EDIT: With Teeth, that's it. 2005?! I swear I thought they were putting albums out left and right. I have loads of friends who love NIN so I'm kinda shocked I'm this out of the loop

Yeah Undercover is a fun little piece, probably more significant in the context of the album maybe. I got Marketa Irglova vibes from it..

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2018, 09:01:10 PM »
I thought I'd do a bit better but that's fine. Prr is a great band and that album in particular is killer. I'm off to bed so I'll send something tomorrow and will let you know where I'll go

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:23 PM »
Man, do I suck. :lol

I have no doubt Ev will blow me away in the coming rounds. There are quite a few left after all  :biggrin:

You mean in that one round until eliminations? :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »
So, how do the bonus points work exactly? I sent 3 songs from the same decade, which was the ‘challenge’, yet I got no bonus points :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: November 14, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »
So, how do the bonus points work exactly? I sent 3 songs from the same decade, which was the ‘challenge’, yet I got no bonus points :(

That means he didn't like them enough.

Oh, and I'm going south towards the elves, but I don't think I've got enough points to actually reach that green spot.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:29:55 AM by Evermind »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #440 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:22 AM »
Sevens ain't bad at all, let's try the challenge again!

East, South at the first fork, North at the second one, and land on orange once again.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:25 AM »
By the way, can we backtrack? Like if I go south, move 5 (that puts me on pink), then move 1 south, then move 1 back to the pink?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: November 14, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »
I was going to say no, but if you're jonesing to land on that panel, go for it - backtracking is allowed.

Elite, yeah, bonus points for the songs that get a 9 or more. Valiant effort my friend.

Also I've decided... no eliminations until round 9. Kattilonious has plans.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »
If my entry qualifies for pink, I'll go for it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 14, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »
Carrying all this additional armour that is typical for a Level 15 Paladin is hard work for this slender knight - causing him to sweat like a feasting Friar Tuck from Rocket Robin Hood’s band of merry travellers. "Alithia" must be ‘Summer’s Eve’ fresh when he reaches his maiden, so he begins his nightly routine to scrub his customary orange tunic. Off in the distance, he hears a mighty roar, accompanied by a brief flash - catching just the slihouette of a dangerous predator in the night sky over the shores of the Northern Sea.  ‘That bastard mocks me!’  No matter, he knows the predator will not stray far from his lair.  “Althea” knows his path now, but is weary and needs rest - and dry clothes.

In the morning, his adventure will keep him north along the shoreline.  He’s heard there are drunken little people (they don’t like the term ‘Dwarves’) in the mid-lands, and wants to avoid the misbegotten turds.  King Shmegland is surely headed in that direction, so this may be where they will part ways - which suits “Alithia” just fine; the berries in these lands give the King some righteous flatulence.

This bonus point thing is gonna be tricky for scoring purposes - especially if participants go back/forth to repeatedly land on a theme, but others don't.  Someone could end up with 4 or 5 bonus points, vs others who have 0 or 1.  Are bonus points maybe just for pride, or to break ties?  I'll trust that our Dungeon Master has a plan to level the playing field in that regard.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: November 14, 2018, 06:20:10 AM »
The Wizard from the South is annoyed. He always heard of how the north was more secure and prosper, yet it seems that robbers travel the roads all the same. This will not discourage him from the adventure he has embarked in, some highway robbers are nothing compared to what he has faced in his own land. The north still seems like the right place to and so he grabs all his belongings and starts on the path, awaiting what other plans fate has in store for him.

I move past the orange point north. Sent.

This bonus point thing is gonna be tricky for scoring purposes - especially if participants go back/forth to repeatedly land on a theme, but others don't.  Someone could end up with 4 or 5 bonus points, vs others who have 0 or 1.  Are bonus points maybe just for pride, or to break ties?  I'll trust that our Dungeon Master has a plan to level the playing field in that regard.

I would hope the same.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: November 14, 2018, 06:23:13 AM »
I was going to save my plans for later but I should probably clear them up here. I don't like eliminating people, so at the end of round 9 whoever gets eliminated... can be saved through others' generosity by using bonus points, or you can choose to leave them to the wolves and bolster yourself. I want to force you to think about your compadres but keep your chances of winning in mind. Is that cool? Obviously we have many rounds til then.

Backtracking: you may only go back ONE space per turn. No more.  Evrys clearly dropped something along the way and had to go back to get it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #447 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
Can't say I would argue with even  one word of my score/writeup.    Couple random thoughts from the writeups:

- The Cult isn't necessarily a "classic" band, but their catalogue is wildly underrated, and if you're a classic rock/melody guy, you can do a LOT worse than "Sonic Temple" or "Ceremony", and while they suffer from the same ills as all mid-tier acts in the early 21st century, they seem to be putting out solid, consistent records.   They use Bob Rock a lot as a producer, so if you like that kind of sound/production (think the Black Album, Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood, etc.) you'll dig them.
- Scorpions:  you may not like all of it, and I warm you in advance of Uli Roth's vocals, but if you don't like The Zoo (and while I have probably 12 Scorpions albums, that may be my least favorite song of the bunch) there is still a lot of good shit to be unearthed.  Try "We'll Burn The Sky" or the entire "Lovedrive" record (perhaps my favorite Scorps album).
- If you like "Starless" you need to at least hear the albums "Starless and Bible Black" and "Red" again.   "Fracture" is just... jawdropping (though it is an instrumental, so no John Wetton).   That's my favorite Crimson period, and while it's dense, and certainly NOT radio-friendly, there might be something  for you to sink your teeth into.
- Does Frank Zappa have ANYTHING that is "definitive"?   But Peaches en Regalia is pretty much quintessential Zappa.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #448 on: November 14, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
I was going to save my plans for later but I should probably clear them up here. I don't like eliminating people, so at the end of round 9 whoever gets eliminated... can be saved through others' generosity by using bonus points, or you can choose to leave them to the wolves and bolster yourself. I want to force you to think about your compadres but keep your chances of winning in mind. Is that cool? Obviously we have many rounds til then.

Backtracking: you may only go back ONE space per turn. No more.  Evrys clearly dropped something along the way and had to go back to get it.
As far as backtracking goes, I would say let us backtrack as much as we want, but we can only use each bonus point square once.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

As far as backtracking goes, I would say let us backtrack as much as we want, but we can only use each bonus point square once.

I would allow that, but I want people to move along this map I made. Why? 'cause it's a game and that's how it is. That's also the explanation for why I'm allowing a single backtrack per turn. :neverusethis: I don't know if I clarified it earlier but yeah the bonus point panels can only be used once (per person). So jingle, Elite etc. can't land on that same space and attempt to go for bonus points again but like TAC and Stadler could.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: November 14, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
Can't even land on a bonus round this time no matter which way I go.  Bugger.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
Dropping my leggings trying to take a piss in the woods, I notice while picking up my leggings that if I go north I can take an "S."

Thy can't make this "S" up.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:18:31 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: November 14, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
You can't go back to the start! There's nothing there! Now you have piss all over yourself and you're lost in the woods! Head east  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #453 on: November 14, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
Katt, I humbly ask for another day to submit, 'cause I'm destroyed and I need to die in bed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
Wait, Katt, I can technically land on the brown hexagon hey?