Author Topic: Can thrash metal get really generic as a subgenre of metal?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Can thrash metal get really generic as a subgenre of metal?
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
So your saying this thread is thrash.

I kid!  I kid!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
You don't think "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" isn't a crossover hit?   And if you're old enough - like me! - to remember when hard rock acts got played on MTV, you remember Rob standing in the middle of a train track while he was heading out to the highway...  :)   

I would give everything you say fair shake and concede that we're arguing which apple tastes better (i.e. impossible) but I will take exception to the very last sentence.  Not on your life.  No f-----g way.  Over The Trooper?  Run To The Hills?   Flight of Icarus?   I don't think I buy that.

Yes, Heading out to the Highway and You've Got Another Thing Comin' (along with Hot Rockin' and Don't Go and, later, Freewheel Burning) got some measure of play on MTV.  Does that make any of those songs "classic OUTSIDE their genre" or in any way "transcendent"?  Not by any definition of those terms that I would accept as valid.

As far as Peace Sells and the various Maiden tracks you mentioned, I don't think any of those meet the definition either.  And, while I personally like the Maiden songs better than anything Megadeth ever did, I do think Peace Sells is on roughly the same level if you're talking about songs that somehow "transcend" beyond the metal genre.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »
BTW....I'm listening to Vektor's Outer Isolation right now.   I have to say that I'm extremely impressed.   It is one of the best examples I've heard of doing thrash right.   I did say in the beginning that "some do it better than others" and that it was still possible to craft great songs and great riffs.     But, I don't see how it does anything drastically different with the genre.     Actually, it just sounds like a really fantastic Atheist album...and that is a HUGE compliment.

Listen to Vektor's latest album Terminal Redux. It's a considerable step up from their first two albums.